Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans random thought of the day

Sonny

TexSon Proud
I don't think the offense has been simplified.
This is what I giggle at as well.
Perhaps it's just finally being understood better/correctly by higher caliber players.
What special understanding of the entire playbook are some people feeling they comprehend when it's being simplified?

Just strikes me funny how random people (even fans) are in .
'the know'
BUT.. I'm not bagging on anyone as I include myself along with everyone whom considers their opinion.. fact.

Texansballer74

The Marine
I don’t either. What’s changed? Watson is getting the ball out fast. Really fast. He’s quit looking for the long ball all the time.

Someone has finally gotten through to Watson. Whoever it was, they deserve a lot of credit. I believe BoB should get his fair share of the credit, too.

Someone has been reading the great debates on here. They've read how quickly Watson was getting the ball out quicker during his amazing 7 game in his rookie season. They then went back and looked at those tapes and said, wow look at how easily we were scoring the ball". Man we were leading the league in scoring during that time.

I believe it was Cal who pushed the buttons. And Ole Obrien had to swallow his pride and follow suit.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
This is what I giggle at as well.
Perhaps it's just finally being understood better/correctly by higher caliber players.
What special understanding of the entire playbook are some people feeling they comprehend when it's being simplified?

Just strikes me funny how random people (even fans) are in .
'the know'
BUT.. I'm not bagging on anyone as I include myself along with everyone whom considers their opinion.. fact.
I'll give you a couple of facts,

1. Does Clemson run the option/RPO? Yes
2. Do you ever see the EP system run by Brady/Rivers/BreesSimms etc.... ver run an option/RPO? Nope

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I don’t either. What’s changed? Watson is getting the ball out fast. Really fast. He’s quit looking for the long ball all the time.

Someone has finally gotten through to Watson. Whoever it was, they deserve a lot of credit. I believe BoB should get his fair share of the credit, too.
Option/RPO's for 2 things.

They finally started doing things Watson does well.

About time.

frethack

Rookie
Option/RPO's for 2 things.

They finally started doing things Watson does well.

About time.
Agreed...they tailored the offense to suit Watsons skillset...finally.

I'll give you a couple of facts,

1. Does Clemson run the option/RPO? Yes
2. Do you ever see the EP system run by Brady/Rivers/BreesSimms etc.... ver run an option/RPO? Nope
The EP system isnt nearly as prolific across the NFL as the WCO, so the sample size of QBs that run it is small. There is only one mobile QB in the league that I know of that runs it (ours), and it is being tailored to suit his skillset. You just named off three QBs who are statues in the pocket and couldnt run the RPO if their life depended on it. Why would their teams run it if their QBs lack the athleticism to pull it off?

How many of the offensive snaps the past two weeks (165 total snaps) have been Options/RPOs? Certainly a higher percent than weeks 1-4, but not even close to the majority. They've been used the same way the Seahawks, Chiefs, Eagles, etc. use them, but this is still not a "simple" offense compared to most.

IMHO we have a QB who is both cerebral and athletic. There are a lot more of them now (Wilson, Mahomes, Rodgers, etc.), and it looks to be the future of the NFL. Offenses will have to evolve to suit them. The WCO already has evolved...now its time for EP to do so. Exciting times.

jshabang

Quality Backup!
if the Texans are serious about competing this year........ GO ALL
IN AND GO GET PATRICK PETERSON!!!! HE IS THE MISSING PIECE FOR THIS DEFENSE !!!! GO ALL IN!!

Earl34

Hall of Fame
Agreed...they tailored the offense to suit Watsons skillset...finally.

The EP system isnt nearly as prolific across the NFL as the WCO, so the sample size of QBs that run it is small. There is only one mobile QB in the league that I know of that runs it (ours), and it is being tailored to suit his skillset. You just named off three QBs who are statues in the pocket and couldnt run the RPO if their life depended on it. Why would their teams run it if their QBs lack the athleticism to pull it off?

How many of the offensive snaps the past two weeks (165 total snaps) have been Options/RPOs? Certainly a higher percent than weeks 1-4, but not even close to the majority. They've been used the same way the Seahawks, Chiefs, Eagles, etc. use them, but this is still not a "simple" offense compared to most.

IMHO we have a QB who is both cerebral and athletic. There are a lot more of them now (Wilson, Mahomes, Rodgers, etc.), and it looks to be the future of the NFL. Offenses will have to evolve to suit them. The WCO already has evolved...now its time for EP to do so. Exciting times.
Agree 100%. The RPO is simply an alternative to a moving pocket, bootleg or play action pass. It's a play. You don't run boots, play action or RPO the majority of the time. As a result, it's simply a play in your EP playbook.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Dan Skipper seems an interesting prospect. 6'10" is HUGE, wonder what his bend and strength is like.

Seems odd to say but 310lbs seems a bit light for a OL of his height.
Created some talk coming out of Arkansas. Great size..poor mechanics. IIRC more of a straight ahead blocker with slow heavy feet and sluggish lateral slides. Awful with speed rushers swimming around him. Also cannot get low enough to anchor his Center to blocks against bull rush. I have no clue what they see in him we will see maybe we will not. Pun intended.
https://nflmocks.com/2017/02/27/dan-skipper-ot-arkansas-2017-nfl-draft-scouting-report/

kiwitexansfan

Hall of Fame
Created some talk coming out of Arkansas. Great size..poor mechanics. IIRC more of a straight ahead blocker with slow heavy feet and sluggish lateral slides. Awful with speed rushers swimming around him. Also cannot get low enough to anchor his Center to blocks against bull rush. I have no clue what they see in him we will see maybe we will not. Pun intended.
https://nflmocks.com/2017/02/27/dan-skipper-ot-arkansas-2017-nfl-draft-scouting-report/
If the Patriots saw something....

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
With his height, you always worry about ability to stay under the D's pads. It'll be interesting to see how they use him and how he does if they do.

Rich Schmidt

Myopicone
RAC is quite solid and his defense is well coached. Can plug and play quite a few players in there and still get good play. There are times I want him to go full Greg Williams, but he is too conservative. In the end, we will beat many a bad team because of RAC. Now we need the offense to help us against the legit teams, because his conservatism usually is not good enough to beat them if the offense is sub par for the Texans. I still think to be the AFC champ etc, the offense is our new identity and cornerstone of the team. They left 17 points on the field last week and still dominated. The defense was like, "You need us soon?", and DW4, nah, hold my beer

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
After reading CnD's injury report

The Colts are likely to be missing their 2 strating CB's and even if Desir plays he's very likely to be compromised and have a greater risk for reinjury. Couple this with an injured Houston's play being compromised by injury and with the weapons the Texans have at WR/TE/RB in the passing game and I think the Texans are going to put pts on the board and Watson will have a big game again.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
After reading CnD's injury report

The Colts are likely to be missing their 2 strating CB's and even if Desir plays he's very likely to be compromised and have a greater risk for reinjury. Couple this with an injured Houston's play being compromised by injury and with the weapons the Texans have at WR/TE/RB in the passing game and I think the Texans are going to put pts on the board and Watson will have a big game again.
I appreciate analyses like this.
I would add that on the Texans side of the ledger, our oline play may not be quite as efficient as the last outing but I hope the run game will still yield about 150 yards. If so, that should be good enough to open up our offense in the passing game as well.
Now we just need STs to step it up a notch - we cannot continue to leave points on the field.
I am not about to call a victory just yet thoigh - Colts are a solid unit and they usually play well against us.
But, obviously, go Texans!

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I appreciate analyses like this.
I would add that on the Texans side of the ledger, our oline play may not be quite as efficient as the last outing but I hope the run game will still yield about 150 yards. If so, that should be good enough to open up our offense in the passing game as well.
Now we just need STs to step it up a notch - we cannot continue to leave points on the field.
I am not about to call a victory just yet thoigh - Colts are a solid unit and they usually play well against us.
But, obviously, go Texans!
Great call about the ST's.

If Fairbairn has another game like last week I predict the Texans will out play the Colts but lose.

Rich Schmidt

Myopicone
I think the key will be the front 7's on defense on both sides. Both teams want to run the ball and take advantage and shots against depleted secondaries. Who's front 7 gets heat and stuffs the run will make the difference. The way they punched our front 7 in the playoff game, I suspect Zach and Reader will show the jump they made this year and be the difference.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
I think the key will be the front 7's on defense on both sides. Both teams want to run the ball and take advantage and shots against depleted secondaries. Who's front 7 gets heat and stuffs the run will make the difference. The way they punched our front 7 in the playoff game, I suspect Zach and Reader will show the jump they made this year and be the difference.
Their front 7 did spank the Texans last year in the playoffs, but Texans have a much better OL and overall running game this year

Number19

Hall of Fame
Sarah Barshop‏@sarahbarshop 5h5 hours ago
“The good news for the Texans is that after beating the Chiefs, they don't have too many difficult games left on their schedule. They have only two games remaining against teams that rank in the top 10 in DVOA over the final 11 weeks of the year.”
Must be more than a few Texans fans who are disappointed in our record, after predicting we would be 0-6, or.maybe at best, 2-4. The OB hate was/is so thick that some were actually pulling for a disastrous start in the hope OB would be fired mid-season. Too bad.

ATXtexanfan

Hall of Fame
Must be more than a few Texans fans who are disappointed in our record, after predicting we would be 0-6, or.maybe at best, 2-4. The OB hate was/is so thick that some were actually pulling for a disastrous start in the hope OB would be fired mid-season. Too bad.
Watson can make anyone look good. OB finally decided to let the kid play. I didnt think OB would ever get his head out his ass. He has and now it's all good in the hood.

He did say it's all about Watson after the Falcons game.

otisbean

Veteran
Contributor's Club
Their front 7 did spank the Texans last year in the playoffs, but Texans have a much better OL and overall running game this year
good point on our running game this year. I love what Hyde and Johnson bring to the table. Also, not making an excuse just stating a fact, our WR Corp was decimated in that game, no Fuller, no DT, Hopkins had a grade 3 separated shoulder and it was Coutee’s first or second game back after missing what felt like 75% of the season. We had Smith, but I remember guys having to tell him where to line up. When there’s effectively no real threat in the passing game (especially the deep threat) its so easy for the D to crowd the LOS and make running the ball and the short passing game difficult.
I’m hoping with our weapons we’ll see a completely different offensive outcome

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Sad but true.

Posters wanting the Texans to lose, you don't hear from that crowd as much anymore, but they will be back after the Texans next loss.

Mangler

Toro de España
Sad but true.

Posters wanting the Texans to lose, you don't hear from that crowd as much anymore, but they will be back after the Texans next loss.
I wanted O’Brien gone after the first three games, and if he reverts back to his NE wannabe playbook I’ll want him gone again! I do, however, give him props for scrapping that plan and going with works best for Watson. I hope he keeps it going.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Card carrying member of the "Get Bill O'Brien out of Houston" club. I predicted 12 wins before the season started.

Watson is the truth. With a good HC/OC I'd have predicted 16 wins

Texansballer74

The Marine
No poster wanted this team to lose. What people said was, " the schedule was tougher than last season and we could easily go 0-6. Especially with the rift raft that went on during the offseason.

So far they're exceeding expectations and I love it.

Let's go Texans!!!

ATXtexanfan

Hall of Fame
Card carrying member of the "Get Bill O'Brien out of Houston" club. I predicted 12 wins before the season started.

Watson is the truth. With a good HC/OC I'd have predicted 16 wins
None of these guys want to admit OB was holding Watson back. OB is DW4 greatest fan now that he let the boy play. Riding OB like he a great coach is so silly. What was OB before DW4. Nothing. That clemson coach said DW4 was the next JORDAN. Now OB a genius. Get out of here........

Texansballer74

The Marine
None of these guys want to admit OB was holding Watson back. OB is DW4 greatest fan now that he let the boy play. Riding OB like he a great coach is so silly. What was OB before DW4. Nothing. That clemson coach said DW4 was the next JORDAN. Now OB a genius. Get out of here........

He was most definitely holding him back. I believe it was because he wanted Watson to only operate from the pocket. It seems as if he wanted to prove to everyone that his version of the EP works. Or maybe he thought by keeping Watson in the pocket, he could prevent him from re-injuring his knees.

ATXtexanfan

Hall of Fame
He was most definitely holding him back. I believe it was because he wanted Watson to only operate from the pocket. It seems as if he wanted to prove to everyone that his version of the EP works. Or maybe he thought by keeping Watson in the pocket, he could prevent him from re-injuring his knees.
True, I'm sure he had his reasons. Yet DW4 is what he his.