Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Texans random thought of the day

Why do you think this?

In 2022, Watt had 12 sacks, 29 hurries and 21 tackles. In 816 snaps.

In 2023, Autry had 12 sacks, 36 hurries and 20 tackles. In 767 snaps.

If Watt has kept in shape, and he says he has, one year off would not be a detriment to a comeback. This occurs all the time with injuries.

I'm wondering, has anyone heard what his current weight is?.

(edit) Watt is one year older than Autry.
I think this because he retired for a reason.

I think he could actually help the team on the field. He's only had a year off and last time he played he was 8th in the league in sacks.
I think Watt could potentially provide some high quality depth and give us a nasty 4 man pass rush with Anderson, Autry, Watt, Hunter.

But I highly doubt it happens anyways.
I could see him signing in later November or early December.

He could provide veteran leadership and he’s going to help on the field as well.
How much help do you think an injury prone player that retired and hasn't played in over a year is going to provide?

If this wasn't Watt, what would your answer be?

How much help do you think an injury prone player that retired and hasn't played in over a year is going to provide?

If this wasn't Watt, what would your answer be?
You ask too many questions. I’ve already said what he could provide and that’s all that matters. Lol

The last question is irrelevant because we’re talking about JJ Watt.

You ask too many questions. I’ve already said what he could provide and that’s all that matters. Lol

The last question is irrelevant because we’re talking about JJ Watt.
It's very relevant.

I try not to live in the past.

With that said, if injuries strike and they need him for a couple of playoff games, I'm for bringing him back.

If we lose some defensive lineman to injuries I would entertain Watt at mid season. Even if it’s limited reps and/or for DT’s spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
If we are definitely making a playoff run and a DL starter goes out yes but only if he’s an obvious upgrade over the next man up.

Break glass in event of emergency only. I’d say it’s under 5%, and it would more likely need to be tackle. But I just don’t see it. Not impossible, but highly unlikely and not worth 5% of the run it’s getting in the media. But it’s JJ and it’s the off-season.

DeMeco Ryans: I’ve got J.J. Watt’s number ready if we need him
By Josh Alper
Published May 6, 2024 02:04 PM

J.J. Watt made Texans head coach DeMeco Ryans an offer he may not refuse over the weekend.

Watt said that he has kept training at a high enough level to return to action for his former team if Ryans “absolutely needs” to have Watt back on the defensive line in Houston. Watt said this is the last year he will make that offer because he isn’t going to continue working out like that and Ryans was asked about the comments during a team golf outing on Monday.

Ryans said that “anytime J.J. Watt’s ready to go, I’m ready to go.”

“I love to hear J.J. saying he’s ready. I’ve got his number ready to go in case we need him,” Ryans said, via Sean Pendergast of SportsRadio610.

Nothing seems to suggest that a real effort to bring Watt back for the 2024 season is in the works, but it does sound like something that all involved would seriously consider if and when that changes.

While reading this piece, keep in mind that although we are all hopeful for a full functional recovery, this is too early to accurately predict his ultimate prognosis. :

In addition to the shockwave tissue damage I described in the closed thread, a 9mm bullet entering and exiting anywhere on your body typically does much more damage than a through and through stab wound. It comes in at around roughly 220 degrees C (550 degrees F). That cooks pretty much everything along its path. For a bit of graphics, imagine putting a fireplace poker on your stove and putting the burner on high until its just beginning to glow. Now, stab yourself with it.

While reading this piece, keep in mind that although we are all hopeful for a full functional recovery, this is too early to accurately predict his ultimate prognosis. :

In addition to the shockwave tissue damage I described in the closed thread, a 9mm bullet entering and exiting anywhere on your body typically does much more damage than a through and through stab wound. It comes in at around roughly 220 degrees C (550 degrees F). That cooks pretty much everything along its path. For a bit of graphics, imagine putting a fireplace poker on your stove and putting the burner on high until its just beginning to glow. Now, stab yourself with it.

I just thought about something...

Tanks legs are skinny af. I know hes a muscular 165, but still...dudes 165. If he got shot through and through with no structural damage that would indeed be a miracle.

The scariest thing is 7 shots were fired - just how many times was Dell hit?
They would have reported it if Dell had multiple gun shot wounds. The fact that he was released from the hospital on the same day, says to me that it's a flesh wound, and probably not a "serious one" as gunshots go.

Replay of Texans/ Browns playoff game on NFL Network now. Man am I ready for this season. Hoping all of our new acquisitions can stop the dinks and dunks..

I prefer two or three easier teams to get everyone on the same page and warmed up so to speak. I also do not want to face Super Bowl contenders late in the season when we perhaps have more injuries. Hopefully, the NFL will read my post and set the Texans schedule according to my desires.

😜

I prefer two or three easier teams to get everyone on the same page and warmed up so to speak. I also do not want to face Super Bowl contenders late in the season when we perhaps have more injuries. Hopefully, the NFL will read my post and set the Texans schedule according to my desires.

😜
Well, it's likely Rice won't be available to the Chiefs. And the Lions ambushed the Chiefs in last year's season opener.

I respect Mahomes. I respect the KC coaching staff. But the Texans know who the Chiefs are. The Chiefs have never seen the monster the Texans will put out on the field on offense. This is the very best chance the Texans will have to beat KC. At least until the Chiefs show up at NRG in the playoffs.

Well, it's likely Rice won't be available to the Chiefs. And the Lions ambushed the Chiefs in last year's season opener.

I respect Mahomes. I respect the KC coaching staff. But the Texans know who the Chiefs are. The Chiefs have never seen the monster the Texans will put out on the field on offense. This is the very best chance the Texans will have to beat KC. At least until the Chiefs show up at NRG in the playoffs.
I would like to beat them and then not see them as they are beaten by another team in the playoffs.

If Slowick leaves after this season as many expect, I wonder how many borderline head coach candidates would be interested in coming to Houston to build their resume as an offensive cordinator?
I prefer promotion from within but whatever is the best candidate.

If Slowick leaves after this season as many expect, I wonder how many borderline head coach candidates would be interested in coming to Houston to build their resume as an offensive cordinator?
I prefer promotion from within but whatever is the best candidate.
It's almost always a promotion from within thing, where no one wants to upset the apple cart.

It's almost always a promotion from within thing, where no one wants to upset the apple cart.
Still a year away but my concern would be that it may be more than just our offensive coordinator that gets a chance to go elsewhere.

An extremely detailed step-by-step documentation of the Watson/Texans trade.

Cap & Trade

Final Results of the Deshaun Watson Trade

A look at the history and flow of the acquired draft picks from the trade with the Cleveland Browns​

TROY
MAY 03, 2024
I have mixed feelings regarding the 2022 draft. With all the moving around Caserio did with the compensation picks received from the Browns in the Watson trade, the Texans wound up with Kenyon Green, John Metchie, Dameon Pierce, Christian Harris, and Thomas Booker. Green and Metchie have each missed entire seasons. Harris played in 16 games in 2023 and looked solid. Dameon Pierce looked promising at first but has lost his starting job. The second part of the 2022 draft, using the Texans own first round pick Caserio took a huge chance on Stingley and at least last year it looks like the gamble paid off. Pitre's a decent starter.

2023 and 2024 are TBD in regard to the Cleveland picks. It looks good with Anderson and Tank but it's still only one year.

Looking at his tenure here, it's been a bit of a mixed bag with Caserio. But if he got the quarterback and the head coach right, and it looks like he did (or was it Hannah), that would tip the scales in favor of his work done here to this point.

I have mixed feelings regarding the 2022 draft. With all the moving around Caserio did with the compensation picks received from the Browns in the Watson trade, the Texans wound up with Kenyon Green, John Metchie, Dameon Pierce, Christian Harris, and Thomas Booker. Green and Metchie have each missed entire seasons. Harris played in 16 games in 2023 and looked solid. Dameon Pierce looked promising at first but has lost his starting job. The second part of the 2022 draft, using the Texans own first round pick Caserio took a huge chance on Stingley and at least last year it looks like the gamble paid off. Pitre's a decent starter.

2023 and 2024 are TBD in regard to the Cleveland picks. It looks good with Anderson and Tank but it's still only one year.

Looking at his tenure here, it's been a bit of a mixed bag with Caserio. But if he got the quarterback and the head coach right, and it looks like he did (or was it Hannah), that would tip the scales in favor of his work done here to this point.
One thing to keep in mind is that each year a team owning their allotted picks (1 pick in each round), has a 117% chance of finding a single starter, and a %58 chance of finding two starters, etc. These numbers are based on an average run-of-the-mill starting player.

Anytime you get 3 -4 starters out of a draft and 1-2 star level players then you've had a good draft.

Green's been hurt and it's possible that once healthy he could have a Stingley type turnaround.

Nobody knew Metchie was going to get cancer. That's just bad luck. Same with Horton, he's most likely going to miss this year. Does that make him a bust and are Caserio/Ryans at fault?

Pierce is a really good RB that Caserio drafted to fit into Lovie's system. He doesn't fit into Slowik's system. Is he a bust and is that Caserios fault?

Texans’ schedule will look very different in 2024
Published May 9, 2024 01:07 PM

A year ago, most believed the Texans had little or no chance of making it to the playoffs. Then, they did.
This year, everything will be different.

The differences should become obvious when the schedule is released in six days. Consider the opponents. Beyond the six games against divisional rivals (Colts, Titans, Jaguars), the Texans host the Ravens, Bills, Dolphins, Lions, and Bears, and they face on the road the Chiefs, Cowboys, Packers, Vikings, Patriots, and Jets.
That’s seven total games against playoff teams.

And those games will be candidates for high-profile slots. Last year, every game with the exception of the regular-season finale started at 1:00 p.m. ET on a Sunday. Coaches love that routine. No short weeks, no night games. Consistency. Repetition.

This year, the Texans will (or should) be splashed all over the place. They could visit the Chiefs to start the season. They could go to Dallas for Thanksgiving. They are a team the networks, and the league, will want to showcase.

That makes the specific schedule critical. If they open with, say, a trip to Kansas City and chase it with, for instance, a Sunday night game against the Bills, 0-2 becomes a possibility.

When they went 0-2 last year, no one freaked out because it was expected. This year, the vibe would be very different if they’ve yet to win a game by the time Week 3 rolls around.

The challenge for coach DeMeco Ryans will be to press the buttons in a far different way than he did a year ago. They’re suddenly a measuring-stick team, and they’ll be facing plenty of great teams in pressure-packed spots.

There’s no reason to think it won’t work. They played well when everyone was paying attention last year. This year, however, extra attention will be a regular occurrence for the Texans.

I haven't seen this anywhere else yet so take it for what it's worth

a9659e814bb5667af747e88429f3e5d6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back