Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans random thought of the day

Laugh all you want. But RBs don't last forever. The more Pierce is used now, the less he'll have in the tank when the Texans are ready to compete.

He could be like Adrian Peterson or Marshawn Lynch and have a long shelf life. Or he could tear an achilles on a routine non contact play at practice. We don’t know. No need to act like we have a crystal ball on what the magic number is for RBs. He gives the team the best chance to win when he gets the ball. He’s getting the ball.

I bet the Seahawks passed at the goal line in the Super Bowl because they wanted to save Marshawn Lynch for next season ;)

He could be like Adrian Peterson or Marshawn Lynch and have a long shelf life. Or he could tear an achilles on a routine non contact play at practice. We don’t know. No need to act like we have a crystal ball on what the magic number is for RBs. He gives the team the best chance to win when he gets the ball. He’s getting the ball.
I could give a crap if the Texans win 3 or 5 games this season. Yes, no one knows anything for certain. We do know that the statistical probability of RBs with multiple 300+ touch seasons being productive after their 1st contract is very, very low. Todd Hurley, Devonte Freeman, LeVeon Bell. Derrick Henry has looked like bad since his 3 consecutive 300+ touch seasons. And all of their usage can be justified, as they were on contenders. Zeke Elliott had 300+ touch seasons 3 out of his initial 4 seasons. And hasn't had a good year since he was 24.

The smart way to use a RB is how the Browns are using Nick Chubb. Having a complimentary RB to keep Chubb fresh and not overworked. I realize the words "smart" and "Texans" don't go together well. And that the best secondary ball carrier Caserio could come up with is Rex Burkhead. But that's just how it is. Don't waste one of the few good players this team has in a season that has the Texans competing for a top 5 draft pick and not a playoff berth.

Caserio comments on Mills hints to me what he is looking for in a QB:

"In the end, offensive football is about moving the ball and scoring points," he said. "How do you do that? Every team has their philosophy. Every team has a different approach. Quarterback position, I don't care who the quarterback is, what team you're talking about, we have to make the right decision, take care of the football, throw the ball accurately, and then be able to execute in critical situations. Pick a winner. That's what your quarterback has to be able to do. Tell me the scheme, doesn't matter the offense, doesn't matter what you're running. Those are things that are important. Offensively, move the ball, score points and get the ball in the end zone."

1. Take care of football
2. Accuracy
3. Execute in critical situations (Clutch)
4. Be a winner

Caserio comments on Mills hints to me what he is looking for in a QB:

"In the end, offensive football is about moving the ball and scoring points," he said. "How do you do that? Every team has their philosophy. Every team has a different approach. Quarterback position, I don't care who the quarterback is, what team you're talking about, we have to make the right decision, take care of the football, throw the ball accurately, and then be able to execute in critical situations. Pick a winner. That's what your quarterback has to be able to do. Tell me the scheme, doesn't matter the offense, doesn't matter what you're running. Those are things that are important. Offensively, move the ball, score points and get the ball in the end zone."

1. Take care of football
2. Accuracy
3. Execute in critical situations (Clutch)
4. Be a winner

We've all seen UDFA to RD1 HoF QB1's who fit this mold and eventually add a SB to their resume. The critical part of this.....did those teams have or eventually have the offensive pieces in place to help that QB1 meet the criteria laid out above? It's absolutely imperative to try and get the puzzle pieces in place at the right time.

Quote of the day. :lol:
It seems as though the Texans org always thinks short term and what is best for marketing, rather than how can I put the best product in the field for the long term. This is why I fully expect Cal to order Caserio to draft a QB with their 1st pick in the upcoming draft.

It seems as though the Texans org always thinks short term and what is best for marketing, rather than how can I put the best product in the field for the long term.
It's not like they have a choice. The McNair's have never understood how to build a team. So they copy others. First, the Steelers. Then, the Broncos. Next, the Patriots. Now, the Patriots 2.0. But they always duplicate the wrong things. Like, "The Patriots have a character coach. Let's get one!" Instead of, "The Patriots have an owner that doesn't interfere with football decisions. Let's be like them!"

It's not like they have a choice. The McNair's have never understood how to build a team. So they copy others. First, the Steelers. Then, the Broncos. Next, the Patriots. Now, the Patriots 2.0. But they always duplicate the wrong things. Like, "The Patriots have a character coach. Let's get one!" Instead of, "The Patriots have an owner that doesn't interfere with football decisions. Let's be like them!"
Getting and following the advice of their competitors doomed the franchise since it's inception

Random thought. I know retired jerseys and expanded rosters are reasons for the jersey numbers the skill players wear.

With that said, I absolutely hate the numbers these players are wearing. Something about an NFL RB wearing a single digit number is just so wrong and odd looking.
LBs in single digits are killing me.

I'm like, "hmmf, that's a big Safety."

Random thought. I know retired jerseys and expanded rosters are reasons for the jersey numbers the skill players wear.

With that said, I absolutely hate the numbers these players are wearing. Something about an NFL RB wearing a single digit number is just so wrong and odd looking.
LBs in single digits are killing me.

I'm like, "hmmf, that's a big Safety."
I liked when the NFL made guys like QB's wear numbers between 1-19. Every position had assigned numbers.
How many Tom Bradys are on this forum?

I didn't know they followed the Steelers. I always thought it was Cowboys, then Broncos, then Patriots.

I always thought that if they followed the Steelers, the McNairs would have set the offensive and defensive philosophy, and they hire HCs and GMs with experience coaching and drafting to fit that philosophy. For example, when I think of the Steelers, I still think strong running game, vertical passing game and a tough 3-4 defense. Regardless of HC or GM for most of their existence, you knew exactly what you would get from the Steelers. Recently, they have strayed from that formula and the results speaks for themselves.

I wished that after Kubiak, the McNairs made the Shanny/Kubiak offense as their team's offensive identity and always hire coaches from that tree. It couldn't have been worse than trying to be Patriots 2.0 without Brady or Belichick.

Tua is reported to be expected to play Sunday against the Steelers. He has no business returning so quickly after 2 back to back concussions, especially after the 2nd one which resulted in the fencer's posture and temporary paralysis.
There is a significant possibility that Tua suffers another trauma with much more dire consequences. Also keep in mind, he is a great risk now for a significant lower extremity injury.

Tua Tagovailoa On Concussion: When I Came To, I Wondered What Happened

Sounds like CJ Fiedorowicz all over again.

Trade for what? I don't see any trade value, other than maybe a 7th rounder in 3 years. I thought these guys were kept to tutor the youngsters? Or was that a crock?
Maybe they were signed to trade for more picks. 1st level thinking?

This should make you very happy. But I guess not.

Maybe they were signed to trade for more picks. 1st level thinking?

This should make you very happy. But I guess not.
How would I be happy for something that's not going to happen? Wait, I just heard something...

...Texans will trade for Jimmy Garoppolo! Only give the Niners two 2nd round picks.

Okay, now you should be very happy.

How would I be happy for something that's not going to happen? Wait, I just heard something...

...Texans will trade for Jimmy Garoppolo! Only give the Niners two 2nd round picks.

Okay, now you should be very happy.
What?

You don't think a team that needs a pass rusher or a wr wouldn't be willing to trade for Hughes or Cooks?

As far as the rest of your post goes you must just enjoy being an A-Hole or you woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning.

Back