Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans random thought of the day

They are not sure things but draft is considered by many best way to build and improve a team. Some look at this season only and others plan for future years in which new players with good contracts will play huge benefits.
Some see Mills as possibly the future and want to give him his best chance to succeed. Others will spend their time contemplating draft picks or counting beans.

Y'all seriously think a rookie or Nico Collins is going to help convert those 3rd and longs to keep Mills on the field like Cooks can?

No. You don't. And neither do I.
Cooks will help extend drives better than any current player or draft pick will. I don't think it's debatable.

If the Texans build a running game as the coaches want…..let’s say, there should be a drastic reduction in those 3rd and longs. This reduces the pressure on Mills and his receivers.

There are lots of way to make an offense work, but usually it's starts with the oline and QB. While we might have the QB, we don't have the line. Cooks is good enough for now, we should be looking at oline help in FA and the draft.

And as many others have said, if it doesn't help Mills then it will help the QB we draft next year.

Lol - rookies will help like Brandon freaking Cooks...🤣

Sure someone will obviously fill Cooks niche, but will they be as good?
Not likely.

Interesting, why did you take what I said and twist it all around? I did not even mention drafting a wide receiver to take Cooks place. A starting offensive line man like Jamaree Salyer will help Mills more than Cooks.

You have a better chance of Cooks getting you there than a rookie.
Besides, it is highly doubtful we make po's this season.
Neither Cooks or draft pick gets you to POs 2022 but who is better going into season 2024? A then 31 YOA WR either extended for huge $ if even on our roster or drafted guy going into third season? Most here realize Texans not deep in playoffs probably until 2024. You want Mills to progress why not same for young WR rookies?

Y'all seriously think a rookie or Nico Collins is going to help convert those 3rd and longs to keep Mills on the field like Cooks can?

No. You don't. And neither do I.
Cooks will help extend drives better than any current player or draft pick will. I don't think it's debatable.
Again, you are missing the entire point. I am not interested in successful 3rd and long plays this season. Oddsmakers have Houston with the number one pick in 2023 and that's with Cooks on team. We need to be creating a roster to begin to compete in 2023 with deep PO goal in 2024.

There are lots of way to make an offense work, but usually it's starts with the oline and QB. While we might have the QB, we don't have the line. Cooks is good enough for now, we should be looking at oline help in FA and the draft.

And as many others have said, if it doesn't help Mills then it will help the QB we draft next year.
Agree a solid oline and RBs that Texans seem to want is a start. Mills hopefully is the QB of future but should Cooks be WR 1 of future? I am willing to gamble on cooks if we do not get a very good offer.

Interesting, why did you take what I said and twist it all around? I did not even mention drafting a wide receiver to take Cooks place. A starting offensive line man like Jamaree Salyer will help Mills more than Cooks.
Fair enough.
We likely get one very good one in the first couple of picks.
We don't need to kick Cooks to the kerb to get Salyer.

Level-headed people realize that you can improve the team with draft and not holding on to 29 year old wide receivers in the last year of an expensive contract who will want substantially Rich deal next contract.
I'd rather cross that bridge when we come to it.
In the meantime, keeping Cooks saves a draft pick - it's not like we don't have enough of them now and the rooks will likely take a little time to adjust to the NFL.

Neither Cooks or draft pick gets you to POs 2022 but who is better going into season 2024? A then 31 YOA WR either extended for huge $ if even on our roster or drafted guy going into third season? Most here realize Texans not deep in playoffs probably until 2024. You want Mills to progress why not same for young WR rookies?
Sure, but having a senior mentor and WR leader will help bring along any new rooks as well.
I just can't see the value in losing a known quantity for an unknown one.
With Cooks out there, Mills knows he has a sure handed, reliable receiver he can pass off quickly to - taking a lot of pressure off the Oline.

Last edited:
If the Texans build a running game as the coaches want…..let’s say, there should be a drastic reduction in those 3rd and longs. This reduces the pressure on Mills and his receivers.

Sure it reduces the number of 3rd and longs.
IF they can build a running game.
But 3rd and longs will still exist, and we'll all want the best chance of converting them. And right now that is Brandon Cooks

Again, you are missing the entire point. I am not interested in successful 3rd and long plays this season. Oddsmakers have Houston with the number one pick in 2023 and that's with Cooks on team. We need to be creating a roster to begin to compete in 2023 with deep PO goal in 2024.

Clearly you're missing my point. I'm not interested in whether you are interested in successful 3rd and long.
I'm interested in successful 3rd and long
Has nothing to do with you.
I believe it will be beneficial to Mills development. You disagree and that's cool.

But to me there is nothing even remotely as important as developing Davis Mills in 2022. Nothing.

Brandin Cooks among the best in NFL on third-down catches | Daily Brew
Oct 28, 2021 at 02:52 PM

Brandin Cooks is currently tied for first in the NFL on third-down success this season. The eighth-year veteran wide receiver has caught 15 passes for 230 yards, which ranks third in the league in third-down yardage, and one touchdown through Week 7.

Sure it reduces the number of 3rd and longs.
IF they can build a running game.
But 3rd and longs will still exist, and we'll all want the best chance of converting them. And right now that is Brandon Cooks

3rd and longs are part of the game….the Texans will have other answers in the receiving corps. Time to establish Mills his long term receiving team.

It's funny. Virtually everyone in this thread has either said, or agreed with the idea that "they need to get Mills some weapons" or "surround him with talent", or something similar.
Yet people are advocating for trading literally the best player on the entire team.

I get it. You want that 2nd round pick (if they can even get a 2nd). Nothing wrong with that.
Personally, I'm willing to forego getting that pick because in my opinion it sets Mills up better for success than whoever replaces Cooks.

I agree and I like it Thorn: short, simple, direct, and also IMO very accurate.

There's another component as well.
People are regularly talking about how players don't want to come play for the Texans.
Now, you have Cooks who has said outright that this is the only place he wants to play.
It's not the best look for a team with an image problem to trade literally the only Texans player to say he would retire it traded.

Also, maybe there is some value in the minds of potential free agents who see a player like Cooks who is a respected veteran, and actually wants to play for this team.

Clearly you're missing my point. I'm not interested in whether you are interested in successful 3rd and long.
I'm interested in successful 3rd and long
Has nothing to do with you.
I believe it will be beneficial to Mills development. You disagree and that's cool.

But to me there is nothing even remotely as important as developing Davis Mills in 2022. Nothing.

Yep, it's all about priorities, I'm all about Mills development.

Fair enough.
We likely get one very good one in the first couple of picks.
We don't need to kick Cooks to the kerb to get Salyer.
I agree Salyer hopefully there in round three by most rankings but having a low round one or high round 2 for another player such as Kenyon Green, Zion Johnson, Treylon Burks, Bernahrd Raimman.

literally the best player on the entire team.

I get it. You want that 2nd round pick (if they can even get a 2nd). Nothing wrong with that.
It's not that I want the 2nd round pick.

Im thinking we gave up a mid 2nd for him. He produced very well for a few years (couple?) If we can get the pick back, or a better one, it's just good business. Texans need to start doing some of those. The more the better, sooner rather than later.

Personally, I'm willing to forego getting that pick because in my opinion it sets Mills up better for success than whoever replaces Cooks.
For me it's more about setting up the Texans better

The Houston Texans have agreed to terms on a two-year extension with Cooks through the 2024 season, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported Thursday. Cooks, who was approaching the final year of his deal, will make just less than $20 million per season for 2023-24, per Rapoport.

The Houston Texans have agreed to terms on a two-year extension with Cooks through the 2024 season, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported Thursday. Cooks, who was approaching the final year of his deal, will make just less than $20 million per season for 2023-24, per Rapoport.

Good for Cooks. Good for Mills’ development. And good for the team to commit to a core player in the rebuild so the team and fans know who is a leader/core player on this team.

But wow those WR salaries are skyrocketing!! 20 million a year for a consistent 1100ish yard a year WR is a lot. But I guess all salaries are going up.

It's funny. Virtually everyone in this thread has either said, or agreed with the idea that "they need to get Mills some weapons" or "surround him with talent", or something similar.
Yet people are advocating for trading literally the best player on the entire team.

I never had a problem with keeping Cooks, but I also never had a problem with trading him. It's not like they're going anywhere anytime soon with or without him. That said, I don't think him being here or not makes much difference in how successful Mills will or won't be. Cooks didn't even play in the Chargers game and the Texans scored a season high 41 points. They won 4 games with Cooks and Watson and 4 games with Cooks and Mills/Taylor. Sure, it's nice to have a proven year in year out 1,000 yard receiver, but he's not making much difference.

I'd rather cross that bridge when we come to it.
In the meantime, keeping Cooks saves a draft pick - it's not like we don't have enough of them now and the rooks will likely take a little time to adjust to the NFL.
Enjoy discussion and exchange of ideas. We don't have enough draft picks; the caution is what we have to do to get more. Someone wants to keep Cooks and said we get a comp for him. That is not necessarily true. Even of it were does a comp 3 .100-104 if formula dictates it in 2024 (effective year after player leaves to another team) compare to a high round two in 22 days?

I never had a problem with keeping Cooks, but I also never had a problem with trading him. It's not like they're going anywhere anytime soon with or without him. That said, I don't think him being here or not makes much difference in how successful Mills will or won't be. Cooks didn't even play in the Chargers game and the Texans scored a season high 41 points. They won 4 games with Cooks and Watson and 4 games with Cooks and Mills/Taylor. Sure, it's nice to have a proven year in year out 1,000 yard receiver, but he's not making much difference.
The other way to look at it is Cooks, with consistent production, has at least done his part.
Where were the guys who won the Chargers game then?

The other way to look at it is Cooks, with consistent production, has at least done his part.
Where were the guys who won the Chargers game then?
Of course he's doing his part. He's a year in year out 1,000 yard receiver. And still they're averaging 4 wins a year since he's been here.

Where's the guys who won the Chargers game? I don't know. Getting their targets taken by Cooks?

Of course he's doing his part. He's a year in year out 1,000 yard receiver. And still they're averaging 4 wins a year since he's been here.

Where's the guys who won the Chargers game? I don't know. Getting their targets taken by Cooks?
Obviously Cooks will steal the majority of the targets, but he also has the skill to warrant doing that.
The other receivers will still get targets otherwise all the defense has to do is double Cooks to kill our O.

I've been arguing on the side of retaining Cooks but I admit it's a close call in my mind.
If they did trade him, I wouldn't be mad. I'd disagree with it, but I'd be excited to see what they could do with the compensation, whatever it might be

Last edited:
We don't need Cooks for that.

If stats are a big part of your evaluation I can understand wanting Cooks.

But we should be able to tell if his arm is strong enough, how accurate he is, & the quality of his decision making whether Cooks is out there or not. I'm most impressed that he performed as well as he did (even considering the stats) with the team he played on last season.

I'd be more impressed if he threw for 3,000 yards & 24 TDs without Cooks than if he threw 4,200 yards 30 TDs with Cooks.
I believe placing potential needless challenges for a seasoned veteran could place that vet at significant disadvantage for success. The effect upon a player like Mills who is still in the rookie stage would certainly not have a positive effect upon his potential development or success.

There's another component as well.
People are regularly talking about how players don't want to come play for the Texans.
Now, you have Cooks who has said outright that this is the only place he wants to play.
It's not the best look for a team with an image problem to trade literally the only Texans player to say he would retire it traded.

Also, maybe there is some value in the minds of potential free agents who see a player like Cooks who is a respected veteran, and actually wants to play for this team.
I think your comments played a role in signing Cooks. As well as being a good WR I recall no off field issues or between him and coaching or owner. He shows up and does his job well and goes home. The deal seems in line with his stats, skills and what other WRs are getting.

Last edited:
It's a little more $ than I was hoping but generally market value.
Also, I'm not a huge fan of the guaranteed money, but it's only two additional years and despite his age, I feel like Cooks will continue to play at his current level
Same here, a bit more guaranteed then I'd like but overall I'm good with it. Those that are harping that Cooks doesn't mean more wins, yea no big deal on W's, obviously. Cooks can be a big part in developing Mills in 22' as we've got to figure out if Mills is the guy or not.

Back