Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans random thought of the day

The story is the Texans had a trade in place to get Aldine Smith. When Smith was taken, they debated using that pick to draft Patrick Peterson.

They decided to not do the trade & see how it unfolds.

So that’s at least two players they (Wade included) the considered before Jj... could have been a few more. We really don’t know

Peterson went #5 and Aldon Smith went #7. So that story sounds backwards.

Random thought. Does anyone else thinks it looks amateurish to see an NFL RB wearing #2? I know with the expanded rosters and retired numbers, they have changed the rules. But I still like WRs wearing numbers in the 80s and RBs with numbers between 20 and 49.

Maybe it's just a pet peeve or I'm getting old, but when I think about great RBs and their jersey numbers, I think about 34, 20, 22, 32, 28 or WRs with 80, 88, 84, 85, 87 or even 81. A RB wearing numbers in the teens or single digits just doesn't seem right.

Last edited:
Justin Britt was a state champion wrestler in high school. Going undefeated his senior year!

• He was a state champion wrestler in high school. Britt’s wrestling career began in sixth grade and culminated in an undefeated senior season, where he won the conference, district and state championships for the heavyweight division. He placed sixth at the National High School Coaches Association Senior National Wrestling Championships.

Justin Britt was a state champion wrestler in high school. Going undefeated his senior year!

• He was a state champion wrestler in high school. Britt’s wrestling career began in sixth grade and culminated in an undefeated senior season, where he won the conference, district and state championships for the heavyweight division. He placed sixth at the National High School Coaches Association Senior National Wrestling Championships.
But can he play water polo? Because we need more of those guys on this team.

How long can an offensive lineman put a defensive player into a headlock before it is a holding penalty? How about figure four footlocks? It is more MMA than wrestling but I would love to see one of our defensive linebackers do a Superman punch to the quarterback. Vince Wilfork was sort of a Sumo wrestler..

How long can an offensive lineman put a defensive player into a headlock before it is a holding penalty? How about figure four footlocks? It is more MMA than wrestling but I would love to see one of our defensive linebackers do a Superman punch to the quarterback. Vince Wilfork was sort of a Sumo wrestler..

You are confusing WWE with amateur wrestling 🤦‍♂️

So now they got one barely passable backup QB, two camp arms, and a rookie 3rd round draft pick for QBs to choose from. Things are looking up.

Someone needs to explain to the "football writer" for The Athletic that all the good QB with high aDOT are spoken for.

The guy has zero clue about the game, hasn't yet grasped that these are all backup level QB:

4 QB means you can run 2-by-2 alternating sets with WRs, get more work in in the less time they have under new CBA practice rules.

What should we do with the extra 28 million dollars that will be added to the 2022 salary cap?

Add a couple of impact starters in FA.

And if Mills proves to be the guy, then add 1-2 impact players in the 2022 draft. Plus 2 or 3 guys that can make an impact from the dW4 trade.

This really comes down to , is Mills a franchise guy and the jury is still out on this. Took a flier on Mills but if it hits the Texans will be in much better shape than if the dW4 stuff hadn't happened.

Draft Review: Andre Johnson, greatness expected and achieved

Andre Johnson was the third overall pick of an NFL draft who performed to the level of his draft standing
RICK GOSSELIN10 HOURS AGO
Andre Johnson (L) photo courtesy of USA Today

EDITOR’S NOTE: Rick Gosselin spent 20 years as the NFL columnist for the Dallas Morning News, including 20 offseasons studying and researching prospects for the NFL draft. He didn’t watch any tape – he was a writer, not a scout – but he talked to the men who did watch tape. He built a network of NFL general managers, head coaches, personnel directors, scouts and assistant coaches from all 32 teams who would share with him their analyses of players. Gosselin used their insights to build his own draft board, Top 100 board and mock drafts. For 10 consecutive years he had the best Top 100 board in the country (2001-10), according to the Huddle Report, and three times he produced the best mock draft. Gosselin will resurrect the college scouting reports for a look back at how NFL talent evaluators viewed draft prospects. Over the next several weeks we’ll review some of the first-time eligible players for the Hall of Fame’s Class of 2022. This week it’s Andre Johnson, who won two NFL pass receiving titles for the Houston Texans.

GOSSELIN DRAFT ANALYSIS:
Johnson came out of the same Miami high school as former Hurricane All-America, first-round NFL draft pick and Pro Bowler Eddie Brown. He chose to follow in Brown’s footsteps to the University Miami, where he became a two-year starter and an All-Big East selection as a junior. Few schools have the NFL history at wide receiver that Miami has and Johnson left Coral Gables third all-time in receiving touchdowns and fifth in yards. In the 2002 national championship game against Nebraska Johnson caught seven passes for 199 yards and two touchdowns to win game MVP honors. He also was a 60- and 100-meter dash champion in Big East track. He opted to skip his senior season to turn pro and measured 6-2, 224 pounds at the combine. He ran a 4.35 40 at his campus workout and also vertical jumped 39 inches. Gosselin placed Johnson No. 4 on his Top 100, his second WR after Charles Rogers at 2. Rogers was selected second overall by the Detroit Lions and Johnson No. 3 overall by the Houston Texans.

Here are comments on Johnson from 8 talent evaluators leading up to his 2005 NFL draft:
Scout:
Tremendous explosion. At that size, height and weight he’s faster than Bo Jackson.
Scout II: My No. 1 WR. He’s bigger than Rogers and plays bigger in the big games.
Scout III: His drops are a concern.

THE REST OF THE STORY

I loved when I was a kid John Hadl's #21 for the Chargers.
If you are a fan of a player it is easy to overlook any pet peeves you may have in regards to the jersey number they wear. Personally I like my Qb's wearing any number from 1 to 19 but if the Qb is a beast and I like him, I can overlook my opinion on the number he has.

Draft Review: Andre Johnson, greatness expected and achieved
Andre Johnson was the third overall pick of an NFL draft who performed to the level of his draft standing
RICK GOSSELIN10 HOURS AGO
Andre Johnson (L) photo courtesy of USA Today

EDITOR’S NOTE: Rick Gosselin spent 20 years as the NFL columnist for the Dallas Morning News, including 20 offseasons studying and researching prospects for the NFL draft. He didn’t watch any tape – he was a writer, not a scout – but he talked to the men who did watch tape. He built a network of NFL general managers, head coaches, personnel directors, scouts and assistant coaches from all 32 teams who would share with him their analyses of players. Gosselin used their insights to build his own draft board, Top 100 board and mock drafts. For 10 consecutive years he had the best Top 100 board in the country (2001-10), according to the Huddle Report, and three times he produced the best mock draft. Gosselin will resurrect the college scouting reports for a look back at how NFL talent evaluators viewed draft prospects. Over the next several weeks we’ll review some of the first-time eligible players for the Hall of Fame’s Class of 2022. This week it’s Andre Johnson, who won two NFL pass receiving titles for the Houston Texans.

GOSSELIN DRAFT ANALYSIS:
Johnson came out of the same Miami high school as former Hurricane All-America, first-round NFL draft pick and Pro Bowler Eddie Brown. He chose to follow in Brown’s footsteps to the University Miami, where he became a two-year starter and an All-Big East selection as a junior. Few schools have the NFL history at wide receiver that Miami has and Johnson left Coral Gables third all-time in receiving touchdowns and fifth in yards. In the 2002 national championship game against Nebraska Johnson caught seven passes for 199 yards and two touchdowns to win game MVP honors. He also was a 60- and 100-meter dash champion in Big East track. He opted to skip his senior season to turn pro and measured 6-2, 224 pounds at the combine. He ran a 4.35 40 at his campus workout and also vertical jumped 39 inches. Gosselin placed Johnson No. 4 on his Top 100, his second WR after Charles Rogers at 2. Rogers was selected second overall by the Detroit Lions and Johnson No. 3 overall by the Houston Texans.

Here are comments on Johnson from 8 talent evaluators leading up to his 2005 NFL draft:
Scout:
Tremendous explosion. At that size, height and weight he’s faster than Bo Jackson.
Scout II: My No. 1 WR. He’s bigger than Rogers and plays bigger in the big games.
Scout III: His drops are a concern.

THE REST OF THE STORY
The greatest offensive player in franchise history and along with Watt the two best the franchise has had to date, and like Watt the consummate pro. AJ was DK Metcalf before Metcalf appeared on the scene.
AJ is I beleive eligible for the HOF next year: any chance he makes on the first ballot ? Probably not, but he'll certainly make it at some point.

The greatest offensive player in franchise history and along with Watt the two best the franchise has had to date, and like Watt the consummate pro. AJ was DK Metcalf before Metcalf appeared on the scene.
AJ is I beleive eligible for the HOF next year: any chance he makes on the first ballot ? Probably not, but he'll certainly make it at some point.
Will he make it for sure? There’s a long queue of great receivers waiting to get in.

Smith: Meet the nameless, faceless Texans

They took the practice field Thursday intentionally wearing bland, nondescript jerseys that had more in common with cheap T-shirts than the NFL, sucked all the color out of the Texans’ normal look and appeared to be a throwback tribute to Penn State - or some small-town high school program you’ve never heard of.

Full article

So what's the point of this exercise? I've heard that the Texans are the only pro football team to operate this way, and it very much reminds me of O'Brien's "earn your locker and Texans helmet decal" garbage.

It seems very bush league to me. These are grown ass men playing professional football. Treat them that way, not like a bunch of kids that get juice boxes for effort.

So what's the point of this exercise? I've heard that the Texans are the only pro football team to operate this way, and it very much reminds me of O'Brien's "earn your locker and Texans helmet decal" garbage.

It seems very bush league to me. These are grown ass men playing professional football. Treat them that way, not like a bunch of kids that get juice boxes for effort.

Don't finish 4-12 and get your HC fired and these things won't be an issue.

Not seems. It IS bush league. Here they go again trying to be Patriots South and clumsily trying to make a Belichick point. I'm sure this wasn't a David Culley decision.

The Texans are a bad soap opera that will end in a dumpster fire of a season. No matter, half the players and coaches for this year won't be back next year anyway so we'll have something new (again) next year to b*tch about.

Enjoy the ride. :lol:

Don't finish 4-12 and get your HC fired and these things won't be an issue.

The Jaguars were 1-15 and they're not doing that stupid crap. They got a new head coach and everything.

Texans are trying too hard. Just be professionals without all the head game motivational-speech stupidity.

Not seems. It IS bush league. Here they go again trying to be Patriots South and clumsily trying to make a Belichick point. I'm sure this wasn't a David Culley decision.

Yep. My point exactly. It's like little kids that put on their dad's work boots and act like they are going to work. It's dog & pony show nonsense.

Even John McClain, head of Texans media propaganda, thought it was stupid. He said he's never seen anything like it in the many decades of covering the NFL.

The Jaguars were 1-15 and they're not doing that stupid crap. They got a new head coach and everything.

Texans are trying too hard. Just be professionals without all the head game motivational-speech stupidity.

Yep. My point exactly. It's like little kids that put on their dad's work boots and act like they are going to work. It's dog & pony show nonsense.

Even John McClain, head of Texans media propaganda, thought it was stupid. He said he's never seen anything like it in the many decades of covering the NFL.

I don’t get that crap either. Just doesn’t make any sense whatsoever.

If I remember correctly, Bill Parcells did this when arrive in Dallas to fix their shite-show. They rebounded very nicely after that horrendous season before his arrival. He changed the culture.

I don’t get that crap either. Just doesn’t make any sense whatsoever.
It's like O'Brien removing the individual awards or mentions that was on a wall leading to the cafeteria. You would think those awards would spur lunch conversations between the players or even motivation to be on the wall. Instead, it's taken done as if he didn't know the players are on social media 24x7. They are notified every time their names are mentioned. They are posting highlights, stats and photos on their accounts and the other players view and share it. Hell, even the PR department is tweeting about the players.

I understand culture changing and T-E-A-M. These ex-Patriots spend way too much time thinking and implementing nonsense that doesn't contribute to winning. I doubt Belichick would endorse printing a roster without the players' numbers.

I don't disagree with you

My point stands. They're going with a kinder gentler teaching culture.

The Jags situation is totally different. Got Lawrence and all of their draft picks to build their team.

Best hope for the Texans is Mills is the guy, they hit on Collins/Jordan and can trade DW4 for a Badboy type trade, along with having high picks of their own after next year's suckage..

Really if Caserio got the Mills pick right then this draft was a win and despite some posters who are negative and use they are the professionals card when it suits them. We don't know how the Mills pick is going to work out.

Has everyone heard the talk/rumor/speculation that Watson may throw another monkey wrench at the Texans by showing up for spring training. He is still on the active roster and this is a distinct possibility until the NFL takes some action. This speculation is all based on contract stuff I don't understand, but if he is a no show he won't draw a salary? Has anyone considered this angle, or how it would all come down?

A snippet from the article;
Texans’ normal look and appeared to be a throwback tribute to Penn State - or some small-town high school program you’ve never heard of.
Why they disrespecting small town high school programs that are very likely run better than what the Texans are doing?

I don’t know their reasoning to do this schoolyard BS at a professional level, but maybe it’s the result of a flatter organization. Which seems to be working for them because I don’t think they could get any flatter.

If I remember correctly, Bill Parcells did this when arrive in Dallas to fix their shite-show. They rebounded very nicely after that horrendous season before his arrival. He changed the culture.

Difference is, the shitshow here is management on up. They’re pulling it off like they’re trying to keep some super double secret from everybody.

BTW, have we heard a single word from Tyrod Taylor since he was signed? I find that a little strange. I mean I realize the dumbass questions he’d get, but still.

You want a professional organization, you gotta act like ******* professionals.

They never won a playoff game with Parcells, so 'changing the culture' is subjective, at best.

It's like O'Brien removing the individual awards or mentions that was on a wall leading to the cafeteria. You would think those awards would spur lunch conversations between the players or even motivation to be on the wall. Instead, it's taken done as if he didn't know the players are on social media 24x7. They are notified every time their names are mentioned. They are posting highlights, stats and photos on their accounts and the other players view and share it. Hell, even the PR department is tweeting about the players.

I understand culture changing and T-E-A-M. These ex-Patriots spend way too much time thinking and implementing nonsense that doesn't contribute to winning. I doubt Belichick would endorse printing a roster without the players' numbers.

Exactly. Those things should be celebrated by a franchise, even when the height of success is winning "division championships" and winning a single playoff game.

It should be a metric that players & staff uses to get better, achieve more, reach greater heights.

Instead, they choose to be bland, like a salt-less saltine cracker, just boring and acting like they are some backwoods high school.

And on the practical side, how do coaches even know who is doing what when they review practice film? Whatever about the logo (I find it goofy), but the numbers are for identifying players. There is a pragmatic aspect of it that seems to be missing from this equation.

But Cal's on the case after John McClain got salty with him. lol

Has everyone heard the talk/rumor/speculation that Watson may throw another monkey wrench at the Texans by showing up for spring training. He is still on the active roster and this is a distinct possibility until the NFL takes some action. This speculation is all based on contract stuff I don't understand, but if he is a no show he won't draw a salary? Has anyone considered this angle, or how it would all come down?
From the discussion on talk radio, it seems to me that the ball is in Roger Goodell's court. All the speculation seems to revolve around Goodell not handing down a decision.

There seems to be two deadlines. The first is the beginning of training camp and the second would be the start of the season.

If Goodell does not hand down a decision, the ball is back in Watson's court. Does he not show and pays all the fines; or does he show.

If he shows, then the ball is in the Texans' court.

Back