Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans random thought of the day

Vanderdoes is my guess. Carlos Watkins gone after 2020 if not before. As much as I wanted him to succeed, he didn't. Best scenario is V replaces Dunn 2021 and we bring in UDFA. These low contracts allow us to absorb the JJ WATTS. Now if someone steps up to move RG Fulton out the door.
If you're already talking about 2021 and UDFA's, It's possible Auzoyah Alufohai may come into the picture. He'll likely end up on the PS, but among the UDFA's, he's one of.the better ones. At least from what I've read.

If you're already talking about 2021 and UDFA's, It's possible Auzoyah Alufohai may come into the picture. He'll likely end up on the PS, but among the UDFA's, he's one of.the better ones. At least from what I've read.
I originally posted him but screen froze and on my rewrite I decided to exclude AA. He's going to have to show a lot before he takes up even a place on PS.

Build me up. Then knock me down. Boy, you're tough.
You build me up butter cup then you let me down. I can't remember who sang that but I know more of the words. I do expect roster churn as we've got to push to get better and guys with 2-3 years need productivity or move them out.

Last edited:
I'm a bit surprised there isn't more comment on the likely lineups for this coming.season.

It's looking like our DL, in the base 3-man, will have Watt at RE and Blacklock at LE, with Dunn in the middle.

In passing situations, it's looking like the most promising lineup will have Watt at RE with Charles Omenihu inside next to him; and Mercilus at LE with Blacklock inside next to him.

Blacklock, being a rookie, may be a bit raw, but I'm liking the potential in this lineup. I think we'll see a much improved pass rush and a significantly improved defense.

It all depends on Watt staying healthy, but I think Dunn will hold up well and I'm expecting significant improvement in his second year from Omenihu.

Our biggest concern is depth, but these 5 are going to prove to be a quality lineup. I think the glass is 3/4 full.

If we remain a 3-4, I'm expecting Blackson/Dunn/Watt to be the front 3.

Blacklock & Omenihu replaces Blackson/Dunn on passing situations... along with Whit coming down to play the edge.

Will be interesting to see where Martin & Ejiofor fit in.

If we remain a 3-4, I'm expecting Blackson/Dunn/Watt to be the front 3.

Blacklock & Omenihu replaces Blackson/Dunn on passing situations... along with Whit coming down to play the edge.

Will be interesting to see where Martin & Ejiofor fit in.
Not to mention Omenihu.

I'm a bit surprised there isn't more comment on the likely lineups for this coming.season.

It's looking like our DL, in the base 3-man, will have Watt at RE and Blacklock at LE, with Dunn in the middle.

In passing situations, it's looking like the most promising lineup will have Watt at RE with Charles Omenihu inside next to him; and Mercilus at LE with Blacklock inside next to him.

Blacklock, being a rookie, may be a bit raw, but I'm liking the potential in this lineup. I think we'll see a much improved pass rush and a significantly improved defense.

It all depends on Watt staying healthy, but I think Dunn will hold up well and I'm expecting significant improvement in his second year from Omenihu.

Our biggest concern is depth, but these 5 are going to prove to be a quality lineup. I think the glass is 3/4 full.
I have Blackson over Blacklock unless Weaver moves Blackson to Nose as I've advocated.
I agree with you on passing downs and we need to more than double 2019 sacks. This defense could be much better and if Omenihu and Mercilus are what I hope, Watt could have over 15 sacks and earn his salary. JJ seems determined to do that.

Number 19, I see you have Watt at RE. The last season, he played mostly LE and seemed to be handled easily by the RT (even rookies and not uncommonly without double teams). When he came back at LE at the end of the season, he was not using his left arm effectively (an effect of the pec injury/repair). If you put him at RE this season, that left pec may not have as much stress, but he will be going against much greater talent against LTs. This, along with his body showing distinct accelerating breakdown, I believe that getting through a season healthy and posting 15 sacks is is a bet I wouldn't touch.

Texans offer refund, other options to season-ticket holders
Houston Chronicle June 30, 2020 Updated: June 30, 2020 9:49 a.m.

.......................In an email, the Texans told fans they have the choice to take a year off from purchasing their season tickets with no financial obligation for this year. The Texans would simply keep those tickets in their inventory and allow those fans to purchase tickets in 2021 with any personal-seat license holdings remaining in effect. Any previous ticket payments would be credited toward the 2021 season.

Fans that utilize that option would receive a 10-percent credit toward food, common drinks or merchandise at NRG Stadium......................

.......................In a move to try to make up for lost revenue with attendance expected to be down significantly at games, the league plans to cover the first rows of stadiums with tarps to give more space between players and fans and create additional space for advertising.

Texans offer refund, other options to season-ticket holders
Houston Chronicle June 30, 2020 Updated: June 30, 2020 9:49 a.m.

.......................In an email, the Texans told fans they have the choice to take a year off from purchasing their season tickets with no financial obligation for this year. The Texans would simply keep those tickets in their inventory and allow those fans to purchase tickets in 2021 with any personal-seat license holdings remaining in effect. Any previous ticket payments would be credited toward the 2021 season.

Fans that utilize that option would receive a 10-percent credit toward food, common drinks or merchandise at NRG Stadium......................

.......................In a move to try to make up for lost revenue with attendance expected to be down significantly at games, the league plans to cover the first rows of stadiums with tarps to give more space between players and fans and create additional space for advertising.

A friend told me the Texans contacted him by email and voice mail congratulating him on making the priority list to purchase season tickets. I guess the season tickets the PSL owners don't purchase will be available to fans on this "priority" list?

Last edited:
A friend told me the Texans contacted him by email and voice mail congratulating him on making the priority list to purchase season tickets. I guess the season tickets the PSL owner don't purchase will be available to fans on this "priority" list?
Makes sense. But whatever is done, from what the Texans are putting out there, even if season ticket owners and PSL owners choose not to buy their tickets this season, their ability to renew in 2021 will not be affected.

I’m leaning towards requesting a refund. The Texans have a history of raising ticket prices almost every year, and I would not be happy with my money being held almost a year only to get an invoice for an increased amount. If there is a season, and the Covid restrictions are lifted, I should be able to purchase a ticket for selected games.

Number 19, I see you have Watt at RE. The last season, he played mostly LE and seemed to be handled easily by the RT (even rookies and not uncommonly without double teams). When he came back at LE at the end of the season, he was not using his left arm effectively (an effect of the pec injury/repair). If you put him at RE this season, that left pec may not have as much stress, but he will be going against much greater talent against LTs. This, along with his body showing distinct accelerating breakdown, I believe that getting through a season healthy and posting 15 sacks is is a bet I wouldn't touch.

For players at least playing 8 games, Watt was #1 in the league in QB hits per game, and was #7 in QB pressures per game. Not vintage Watt, but still pretty damn good.

I'm also concerned about his health, as should everyone be, but his play last season was pretty damn good.

For players at least playing 8 games, Watt was #1 in the league in QB hits per game, and was #7 in QB pressures per game. Not vintage Watt, but still pretty damn good.

I'm also concerned about his health, as should everyone be, but his play last season was pretty damn good.
Again independent of isolated stats, given his injury history, and having watched his performance carefully last year, he is in a downward trend that after just a few games into a new upcoming season, it would surprise me if his body can buck the trend to continue in the wrong direction.

Again independent of isolated stats, given his injury history, and having watched his performance carefully last year, he is in a downward trend that after just a few games into a new upcoming season, it would surprise me if his body can buck the trend to continue in the wrong direction.

Yes. His career is in a downward trend, and I'd be pleasantly surprised if he lasted a season. But I still think he can produce at a pro bowl level. But not something wise to depend on.

Actually, I agree with you. This is a mistake. I actually have Watt staying at LE.

The first seven games are against 5 teams with winning records last season. Then we have the bye. The last nine games, we face only 2 teams with a winning record.

Watt will be at his best against KC and Baltimore, to start the season. Game 4 is against Minnesota. Game 3 is against Pittsburg with Roethlisberger's throwing elbow a question mark.

Game 5 is Jacksonville, then we face Tennessee, and finish out the first half of the season against Green Bay.

My plan is Watt on right with Omenihu next to him..my thought is JJ will continue with some left shoulder issues. Mercilus, Blacklock, Watt with Omenihu outside JJ someone gonna "disturb" QB.
We did see Watt and Clowney next to each other. Omenihu should have increased strength.

My plan is Watt on right with Omenihu next to him..my thought is JJ will continue with some left shoulder issues. Mercilus, Blacklock, Watt with Omenihu outside JJ someone gonna "disturb" QB.
We did see Watt and Clowney next to each other. Omenihu should have increased strength.

Clowney + one season.....sure might quell some concerns for the front seven in 2020.

If you're implying that because Omenihu plays next to Watt, they will double team the left tackle, I doubt that will turn out very well, especially playing in a 3-4 configuration. No, Watt will have to fly or die on his own. And continually left to spar with a left tackle, I see Watt's production less than stellar for that reason alone, and moreso for other reasons as the season progresses.

Last edited:
I was pondering this last night. We sure have a lot of unproven potential to go along with Watt and Mercilus.

At outside LB we have a competition between Scarlett, Martin, Ejiofor and our new 3rd rounder, Greenard. One or two likely won't make the team.

Our defense was 28th last year. We need to get that up closer to the middle ranking and to do that we need all these younger, journeyman to step it up a notch and produce.

Blacklock, Blackson, Dunn, Greenard, Omenihu, Scarlett, Martin, Ejiofor.

It's certainly understandable to be a bit pessimistic.

I was pondering this last night. We sure have a lot of unproven potential to go along with Watt and Mercilus.

At outside LB we have a competition between Scarlett, Martin, Ejiofor and our new 3rd rounder, Greenard. One or two likely won't make the team.

Our defense was 28th last year. We need to get that up closer to the middle ranking and to do that we need all these younger, journeyman to step it up a notch and produce.

Not to mention Watt is a serious injury concern and Mercilus is far from consistent.

Would be sweet if we somehow someway brings back that monster J. Clowney. I’ve heard they’re in communication

And get worked over with a bad contract?

No thanks. That ship has sailed and thank god it did.

Clowney is no longer in the drivers seat in any negotiation. Clowney isn't going to get the big long term contract he and his agent desired due to his injury concerns and lack of sack production. Clowney and his agent may be in full damage control at the moment......therefore a 1 year prove-it type of contract will eventually be the order of the day b/c an out of football season for Clowney would do more harm than good. The question would be, where would Clowney stand his best chance to deliver on a 1 year prove-it type of contract? I think it's with the Texans b/c of his system knowledge and where he achieved his only NFL success.

Clowney would be a solid addition for a season and the right amount of money.

If you're implying that because Omenihu plays next to Watt, they will double team the left tackle, I doubt that will turn out very well, especially playing in a 3-4 configuration. No, Watt will have to fly or die on his own. And continually left to spar with a left tackle, I see Watt's production less than stellar for that reason alone, and moreso for other reasons as the season progresses.
We often saw 4 players on line in past often on passing downs. Let the LT decide whom he blocks, the other goes to QB. Watt does not have to manhandle a left tackle to tie him up. Omenihu can play at 285 and can handle LT. I suspect Weaver rests JJ frequently. I do understand the significance of the shoulder and core injuries. JJ will probably flip sides as he has in past.

Clowney is no longer in the drivers seat in any negotiation. Clowney isn't going to get the big long term contract he and his agent desired due to his injury concerns and lack of sack production. Clowney and his agent may be in full damage control at the moment......therefore a 1 year prove-it type of contract will eventually be the order of the day b/c an out of football season for Clowney would do more harm than good. The question would be, where would Clowney stand his best chance to deliver on a 1 year prove-it type of contract? I think it's with the Texans b/c of his system knowledge and where he achieved his only NFL success.

You're correct, but Clowney doesn't want to play for the Texans.

Nobody ever said Clowney was the sharpest tool in the shed.

I have some of those as trade bait..as you note Obrien knows his defense must improve. Those that can do that immediately are on other teams---for now.

You're correct, but Clowney doesn't want to play for the Texans.

Nobody ever said Clowney was the sharpest tool in the shed.

When a player is scrambling to make an impact on a 1 year prove-it type of contract in order to secure his future......he just might set aside his personal differences for his best shot opportunity.

Since we paid half his contract last season perhaps he will put that towards a new deal? I do not see him coming back but it would not stun me if he did.

We often saw 4 players on line in past often on passing downs. Let the LT decide whom he blocks, the other goes to QB. Watt does not have to manhandle a left tackle to tie him up. Omenihu can play at 285 and can handle LT. I suspect Weaver rests JJ frequently. I do understand the significance of the shoulder and core injuries. JJ will probably flip sides as he has in past.
First of all, you want a DE to be able to do much more than "tie up" a LT in either a 3-4 or 4-3. You want him to be a significant threat to reach the QB. Otherwise, right off the bat, you give away too much information to the offense. Even if Watt can consistently tie up the LT (which I don't believe he can), that doesn't open up much for the rest of the D against a good offense and good QB. Flipping sides is something a player may be able to do, when his physical skills are not already compromised......especially when not lateralized..............Left knee tibia plateau fracture (affects push off, especially to the right [necessary for going against a LT]), left pectoralis major rupture surgery (affecting clearing a path outside of a RT or inside of a LT)..............and back AND front core injuries/surgeries that affects either side, and accentuates limitations imparted by any other existing injuries.

You are much more confident about Watt's contribution this season to the defense than am I.

First of all, you want a DE to be able to do much more than "tie up" a LT in either a 3-4 or 4-3. You want him to be a significant threat to reach the QB. Otherwise, right off the bat, you give away too much information to the offense. Even if Watt can consistently tie up the LT (which I don't believe he can), that doesn't open up much for the rest of the D against a good offense and good QB. Flipping sides is something a player may be able to do, when his physical skills are not already compromised......especially when not lateralized..............Left knee tibia plateau fracture (affects push off, especially to the right [necessary for going against a LT]), left pectoralis major rupture surgery (affecting clearing a path outside of a RT or inside of a LT)..............and back AND front core injuries/surgeries that affects either side, and accentuates limitations imparted by any other existing injuries.

You are much more confident about Watt's contribution this season to the defense than am I.
If JJ cannot get the 8 sacks and 40 QBs [say 30]he projected before injury, he should have been moved out. You and I are concerned about his left lateral reach but Omenihu and sometimes a fast Greenard or Jacob Martin outside of Watt will cause mismatches. I can see Weaver blitzing 5-7 players.

If JJ cannot get the 8 sacks and 40 QBs [say 30]he projected before injury, he should have been moved out. You and I are concerned about his left lateral reach but Omenihu and sometimes a fast Greenard or Jacob Martin outside of Watt will cause mismatches. I can see Weaver blitzing 5-7 players.
As I mentioned, it goes far beyond left lateral reach. You're reaching to make it work. I don't share your confidence as documented in my last post.

As far as "he should have been moved out"....................you believe in under any circumstances other than him requesting release or down for the count retiring, after what he has done for the city including during the Hurricane and for the franchise?..........he is more of an "Texans icon" than any other player in Texans history................just use a little imagination to feel what kind of PR nightmare, both locally and nationally that would create.

No point in continuing this discussion at this time. We will soon see one way or the other how things work out.:tiphat:

Texans’ Keke Coutee says results will speak for themselves in 2020
Posted by Michael David Smith on July 3, 2020, 5:07 AM EDT

Texans receiver Keke Coutee burst onto the scene as a rookie in 2018, catching 11 passes in his first NFL game, the most for a player in his debut since the 1970 AFL-NFL merger. But he hasn’t quite lived up to expectations since then.

This year, Coutee says, he’s ready for big things. The Texans’ receiving corps will look a lot different, with DeAndre Hopkins gone and Brandin Cooks and Randall Cobb arriving. Coutee expects to be a big part of it.

“Very hungry, very hungry,” Coutee told the Houston Chronicle. “Not a lot of talking, just ready to work. Results speak for themselves in 2020. I’m just trying to get back to the basics, getting back to what I’m good at and fix the things I need to work on and, most importantly, be ready for the season.”

Coutee has missed time with ankle and hamstring injuries and says he’s been taking care of his body this offseason.
“Just to be healthy and be the best teammate I can be this year and just producing where I can,” Coutee said. “Just being able to make plays when I’m called upon when the ball is coming my way, that’s the best thing I can do to make plays.”

Brown is a free agent, draft picks aren't in play for his services.
I was just going to post that. If Watson wants Brown, I'm sure he will be willing to give 1/3 of his potential new contract to help his desire along. Brown's mandated mental health evaluation will be interesting, but I doubt that it will be surprising. Be assured that once the evaluation is completed, that is only the beginning. Treatment will be recommended, and will take time to be evaluated for effectiveness. It would take insanity on the part of the NFL to proceed to the reinstatement process, let alone a team to take him for return to field play...........before the entire medical process is complete................and then there are no guarantees that any improved behavior is sustainable under the pressures of maintaining NFL discipline.

Here is a detailed account of Brown's situation past to present.:

Antonio Brown pleads no contest in truck driver battery, receives 2 years probation

Jack Baer
Writer
Yahoo SportsJun 12, 2020, 1:31 PM

I would make a strong suggestion to the NFL and any team entertaining Brown's re-acceptance at this point...............spend a little more money and get yourselves thoroughly mentally evaluated too. :tiphat:

I was just going to post that. If Watson wants Brown, I'm sure he will be willing to give 1/3 of his potential new contract to help his desire along. Brown's mandated mental health evaluation will be interesting, but I doubt that it will be surprising. Be assured that once the evaluation is completed, that is only the beginning. Treatment will be recommended, and will take time to be evaluated for effectiveness. It would take insanity on the part of the NFL to proceed to the reinstatement process, let alone a team to take him for return to field play...........before the entire medical process is complete................and then there are no guarantees that any improved behavior is sustainable under the pressures of maintaining NFL discipline.

Here is a detailed account of Brown's situation past to present.:

Antonio Brown pleads no contest in truck driver battery, receives 2 years probation

Jack Baer
Writer
Yahoo SportsJun 12, 2020, 1:31 PM

I would make a strong suggestion to the NFL and any team entertaining Brown's re-acceptance at this point...............spend a little more money and get yourselves thoroughly mentally evaluated too. :tiphat:
Mental health disorders can be managed effectively with the right medications and therapy. If mental health professionals are working with him now, I’m optimistic in Brown being able to return to the league sooner rather than later. The legal issue regarding the rape allegation is the biggest hurdle concerning AB returning to the NFL.

Now if Brown has a substance use disorder (the truck driver claims Brown was “high” on something) comorbid with another mental health disorder(s) and it falls under the severe category all bets are off.

It's true. Texian's real name is Biff, and he stole Doc Brown's DeLorean with the flux capacitor. #BTTF2
I actually based my prediction on past history of owners who have died and pass ownership of the team to their children, particularly where a number of other siblings are involved. There are 4 McNair siblings. Other siblings not involved in the day to day operations usually begin to get restless after 3 to 4 years. Especially when the team experiences an embarrassing decline which commonly happens. The return on their inheritance from the team operations is not anything close to what it be from their share if the team is sold. They may receive a small yearly stipend of a couple of million of dollars as a part owner BUT if they sold their return could be a BILLION Dollars and that is the reason why siblings push to sell the team they inherited. It all boils down to basic human behavior.

Last edited:
Lol why would Watson give up 1/3 of his new contract. Man y’all come up with the best jokes ever. Hilarious

So since Brady wants him too should he do the same?

Arians has already been down this road before with Brown and said this isn't happening.

Mental health disorders can be managed effectively with the right medications and therapy. If mental health professionals are working with him now, I’m optimistic in Brown being able to return to the league sooner rather than later. The legal issue regarding the rape allegation is the biggest hurdle concerning AB returning to the NFL.

Now if Brown has a substance use disorder (the truck driver claims Brown was “high” on something) comorbid with another mental health disorder(s) and it falls under the severe category all bets are off.

Crazy is crazy and there's no cure for crazy, except if Brown really misses football and knows this is his last chance to play in the NFL then he might be able to keep his mental health issues in check for a yr or 2.

Back