Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Texans random thought of the day

So you have Stockholm syndrome? Because going conservative and giving up lots of yards and a few points would have won the 35-3 game. Anyone who ever moans about 35-3 should celebrate turtle mode. Every time.
What started the comeback was sloppy, overly aggressive and stupid play by the defense (I am looking at you, Chris Dishman) aided by some bad calls by the zebras.

Andre Reed's foot was out on one of those TD's

turtle mode does not win that game. defense was getting torched. Offense needed to step up and make plays it needed to become a shootout and the offense just fell apart (everybody did, but the offense of the first half just disappeared) getting anxiety just reliving that game.

So you have Stockholm syndrome? Because going conservative and giving up lots of yards and a few points would have won the 35-3 game. Anyone who ever moans about 35-3 should celebrate turtle mode. Every time.
What started the comeback was sloppy, overly aggressive and stupid play by the defense aided by some bad calls by the zebras.
Andre Reed's foot was out on one of those TD's

turtle mode does not win that game. defense was getting torched. Offense needed to step up and make plays it needed to become a shootout and the offense just fell apart (everybody did, but the offense of the first half just disappeared) getting anxiety just reliving that game.
I agree the offense didn't show up in the second half and they shouldn't have abandoned what they were doing in the first half and kept the foot on the pedal. That said, if the defense had played a more conservative, dont let them get the big play, more, I think the hill would have been to big for the Bill's to climb. One problem was that run and shoot team was not built for grind it out/eat up the clock offense. Should have kept the hammer down on offense and played smarter prevent on defense.

Last edited:

The defense went to prevent mode in the second half, if they had stayed aggressive it would have turned out differently.

And Fred, I’m talking purely defense.

The run and shoot offense always pissed me off for its lack of running game.

Run the ball and we don’t lose that game at all.

Yep, I’d trade that for an all Texas super bowl that year.

The Oilers were the most talented team in the NFL that yr. After the Oilers/Cowboys scrimmaged that yr Jimmy Johnson talked about how talented the Oilers were.

If the Oilers hadn't blown the Buffalo game both the Oilers (They would still be here) and the Cowboys (Maybe not back to back SB champs) could have been so much different.

It's odd how looking back how much was riding on the 35-3 debacle.

And Fred, I’m talking purely defense.

The run and shoot offense always pissed me off for its lack of running game.

Run the ball and we don’t lose that game at all.

Agreed, but it's kinda hard to run the ball with no TE's on the roster. Also having no TE's on the roster really hurts the ST's.

Agreed, but it's kinda hard to run the ball with no TE's on the roster. Also having no TE's on the roster really hurts the ST's.

Agreed. The difference today, WR's are much much bigger, fast and more physical than in the past. The game now favors the passing game and defenses can't target receivers.....much like Buddy Ryan did on Monday Night Football when the Oilers and Eagles played. That POS had put bounties on the receivers! Also, today's game features TE's that are like hybrid WR's only they possess the size and physical abilities to do the dirty work on the OL.

Could a modified version of the Run-N-Shoot work in today's NFL? Hell yeah it could b/c the NFL Rules Committee has damn near made every new rule to favor a team willing to exploit the passing game. It's been 20+ years since an NFL team has ran a full air assault offense.....could be fun to see how fast or if DC's could defend it? Also give me a solid running game (Bell, a healthy Foreman plus Blue) and defenses would have to be 100% aware of the running backs who could have a field day once they break the line of scrimmage.

Texans PR‏Verified account@TexansPR 2h2 hours ago

#Texans CB/S Kareem Jackson (@ReemBoi25) and CB Johnathan Joseph (@JJOE2424) are the only pair of teammates in the NFL to each record at least 45 tackles, 10 passes defensed and two interceptions this season. Only eight players in the NFL have recorded that stat line in 2018.

DtvtYKHUUAI68C7.png

So Deshaun is setting team records for passing. Lamar is on his way to a 1000 yard season.

Seems like the offensive line isn't the red headed step child it was to start the season. Account for Davenport and you can succeed with this bunch. It's been a mano y mano running style so it isn't scheme related .. these guys just got tired of getting their tails whipped and I commend them for answering the challenge against some of the tougher defenses.

Agreed. The difference today, WR's are much much bigger, fast and more physical than in the past. The game now favors the passing game and defenses can't target receivers.....much like Buddy Ryan did on Monday Night Football when the Oilers and Eagles played. That POS had put bounties on the receivers! Also, today's game features TE's that are like hybrid WR's only they possess the size and physical abilities to do the dirty work on the OL.

Could a modified version of the Run-N-Shoot work in today's NFL? Hell yeah it could b/c the NFL Rules Committee has damn near made every new rule to favor a team willing to exploit the passing game. It's been 20+ years since an NFL team has ran a full air assault offense.....could be fun to see how fast or if DC's could defend it? Also give me a solid running game (Bell, a healthy Foreman plus Blue) and defenses would have to be 100% aware of the running backs who could have a field day once they break the line of scrimmage.

Today's modern offenses actually borrow alot from the run and shoot.

http://insidethepylon.com/nfl/teams...forgott-cult-new-englands-run-shoot-concepts/

In the leadup to Super Bowl LI, Warren Moon appeared on the Rich Eisen Show, where he was asked if he saw the run and shoot in any of today’s NFL offenses. The Hall of Famer’s response?

“A ton of it.”

“I see it in New England’s offense, and I see it throughout the league,” he said, “Back when we were doing it, it was like, ‘This is some kind of pop gun offense, and this thing will never work in the league,’ but what they’ve been able to do is take the good things out of it and incorporate it into offenses today.” The Patriots offense – which is notoriously advanced – actually presented many run and shoot elements in the AFC Championship game against Jacksonville.

Myles Garrett only had 3 tackles, 1.5 sacks and 2 QB hits. Not good, but definitely not bad against the likes of Myles. I'd call it a successful day, especially with as bad as many folks think our tackles are.

BOB has adjusted to the OT play quite well.

He keeps a TE in on most plays to help the OT's. Wherever the best pass rusher lines up you will see a TE over there helping out on most plays.

Kudos to BOB for overcoming a weakness by scheming. You know like most on this MB have been requesting him to do.

9 games and counting. Good news is if they can keep Watson healthy this yr they should be a true contender next yr.

Myles Garrett only had 3 tackles, 1.5 sacks and 2 QB hits. Not good, but definitely not bad against the likes of Myles. I'd call it a successful day, especially with as bad as many folks think our tackles are.

Blitz pickup was fantastic that game however. I forgot to mention the RBs in their blocking progression also they were pathetic at the beginning of the season.

Garret is a special athlete .. he will find ways to best you.

Aaron Wilson reports:

He [Watson] has been getting healthier in recent weeks after dealing with rib and lung injuries earlier this season.

Watson has looked more comfortable and inclined to run when the opportunity has been there, a byproduct of his improved health.

“I think it’s probably both," Texans quarterbacks coach Sean Ryan said. "I think the farther you get away from an injury, the more confident you get in that, the better you feel. So, I think it’s a combination I would guess.”

On the other hand, the farther you get away from an injury, the more confident you get..................many times too confident, and the closer you get to playing in such a manner that you invite another injury.

Aaron Wilson reports:

Watson has looked more comfortable and inclined to run when the opportunity has been there, a byproduct of his improved health.

On the other hand, the farther you get away from an injury, the more confident you get..................many times too confident, and the closer you get to playing in such a manner that you invite another injury.

I think he’s done a good job of avoiding the BIG hit since the Dallas game...but he took some hits against the Browns that would add up over a 16 game season. As long as he stays at 5-8 designed runs and can get out of bounds or slide for most of them and avoid getting blasted for the others he should be good.

Aaron Wilson reports:

I think he’s done a good job of avoiding the BIG hit since the Dallas game...but he took some hits against the Browns that would add up over a 16 game season. As long as he stays at 5-8 designed runs and can get out of bounds or slide for most of them and avoid getting blasted for the others he should be good.

I think he’s done a good job of avoiding the BIG hit since the Dallas game...but he took some hits against the Browns that would add up over a 16 game season. As long as he stays at 5-8 designed runs and can get out of bounds or slide for most of them and avoid getting blasted for the others he going to be good.
At the beginning of the season, I was thinking that he had gotten smarter about how to end his runs (going out of bounds, going down, sliding, throwing the ball away).........not so much in the last month. You obviously remember the Cowboys game, but you might want to rewatch the Bills game...........by his own doing, he was getting killed. During the last Titans game, I could have sworn that Watson was wearing the wrong jersey for a RB. Despite what he has said in the past........."I am built for it"............he doesn't resemble a stout McNabb, Rothlisberger, Newton or even Wilson in the least............and these QBs have had more than their share of significant injuries.

No, Watson has got to get smarter.......and stay smarter if and when deciding to run.

At the beginning of the season, I was thinking that he had gotten smarter about how to end his runs (going out of bounds, going down, sliding, throwing the ball away).........not so much in the last month. You obviously remember the Cowboys game, but you might want to rewatch the Bills game...........by his own doing, he was getting killed. During the last Titans game, I could have sworn that Watson was wearing the wrong jersey for a RB. Despite what he has said in the past........."I am built for it"............he doesn't resemble a stout McNabb, Rothlisberger, Newton or even Wilson in the least............and these QBs have had more than their share of significant injuries.

No, Watson has got to get smarter.......and stay smarter if and when deciding to run.

He's built more like Aaron Rodgers & Eli Manning .

Not really disagreeing with your overall point - but a couple of places I checked have him same height and 5 pounds lighter than Rodgers - Watson 6-2 220

Seem pretty close.

636657868990388909-USATSI-10890608.jpg
5920d26cadb9a.image.jpg

Even independent of height and weight, many pics of both, as the one above, show the lower extremity contrasts..........I've seen both close up and personal, and I assure you that the dramatic build differences are not due to photographic variance.

Lest we forget that we had LOST 9 straight games dating back to last season which makes this streak of 9 wins all the more amazing. Keep it rolling boys!

That’s really an amazing stat I didn’t realize. Crazy cool

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Good read. I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for what Andre Johnson had to endure on a lackluster team and with little to no direction at the QB position, but DeAndre Hopkins is the best WR in franchise history. Easily. He's on par to all of Dre's stats through similar points in their career, but Hopkins dominates by CATCHING the ball, and Dre did his thing by just being the biggest, fastest WR on the field in his day. Interesting topic.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/pag...s-texans-quarterback-opportunity-now-nfl-2018

He's biased, of course. But he isn't crazy. Statistically, Hopkins' production over the past few years is comparable to that of Beckham, Julio Jones and Antonio Brown, but he hasn't topped the charts; since 2014, he ranks third in total yards, second in touchdowns and fourth in catches. But imagine what those numbers would look like if Hopkins had played with Matt Ryan or Ben Roethlisberger instead of a rotating cast of starters that includes -- well, let's allow him to name them: "In order?" he asks during an interview before the season. "Matt Schaub. After Matt Schaub, it was T.J. Yates. After T.J. Yates, it was Case Keenum. After Case Keenum, it was Brian Hoyer. After Brian Hoyer, it was Ryan Mallett. Then after Ryan, I think it was T.J. again. And after T.J., it was Ryan Fitzpatrick. And then Brock Osweiler came into the picture somewhere."

Back