Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Texans Predictions Thread: 2008 Season

I think basicly if they stay healthy and not turn the football over and run, run, run they will make the playoffs and may even win their first playoff game.

The Texans need to show that they can hang with any team in the league passing wise, the passing game ought to be the Texans bread and butter this season IMO. This will not only open up the running game as safeties are forced to be honest, but make them a legitimate contender for the Super Bowl this season.

It is vital that the defense remains spread with the threat of the deep passing for this team to have the success its potential has poised on the horizon.:showtime:

10-6

The Texans have have a great passing game as long as OL gives Matt enough time to look down field and make the throw he wants to make.

1 Sept. 7 at Pittsburgh Steelers 1 p.m. W - I think Pittsburgh is given more credit than they deserve. They aren't near as good as they were when they won the SuperBowl a few years back.

2 Sept. 14 Baltimore Ravens 4:15 p.m. W - The same can be said for the Ravens. They have fallen even further from their former glory than the Steelers have.

3 Sept. 21 at Tennessee Titans 1 p.m. W - I don't expect the titans to be pushovers despite of my opinion of VY as an NFL QB. I think the Texans can win this one in a close one.

4 Sept. 28 at Jacksonville Jaguars 1 p.m. L - I hate to predict a loss by my Texans, especially against a division opponent, but I see this game as a real test for the Texans. They beat the Texans bad in Jacksonville last year. I think this one will be close, but I'm giving the Jags the edge due to homefield.

5 Oct. 5 Indianapolis Colts 1 p.m. W - The Colts can stay on top forever can they? Marvin Harrison is fading now and they have lost several pieces to Free Agency over the last few years. Perhaps the Texans have made up enough ground to now be competitive with the Colts atleast in Reliant Stadium. I see a close game with the Texans feeding off the crowd for the win.

6 Oct. 12 Miami Dolphins 1 p.m. W - The Dolphins, at Reliant Stadium? As Long as the Texans remain focused and don't respect the opponent this one should be automatic.

7 Oct. 19 Detroit Lions 4:05 p.m. W - I don't think the Lions are good enough to beat the Texans in Reliant Stadium. Detroit was 2-6 on the road last year and I see no reason for a dramatic improvement in that area for them.

8 Oct. 26 Bye - Much needed rest

9 Nov. 2 at Minnesota Vikings 1 p.m. L - Peterson is a great player, but it takes more than one great player to win in the NFL. What could make this game tough is that it is in Minnesota. I would say coming off of the bye week would give the Texans an edge, but the Vikings are coming off of the bye week as well. With that said it seems I have to give the edge to the Vikings here due to homefield.

10 Nov. 9 Cincinnati Bengals 1 p.m. W - I have to agree with GuerillaBlack here. The Bungles have been in a steady decline. Who even knows if their best receiver will be on their team by the time the Texans play them.

11 Nov. 16 at Indianapolis Colts 1 p.m. L - While I believe the Texans have improved enough to win a close game against the Colts in Reliant Stadium, I don't think they have improved enough to beat the Colts in their house.

12 Nov. 23 at Cleveland Browns 1 p.m. L - Cleveland may have had the Texans' number as of late, but with their injuries during OTA's, and if they have anymore before they play the Texans, this could make the difference. Otherwise the Texans lose another away game

13 Dec. 1 Jacksonville Jaguars (Mon.) 8:30 p.m. W - Monday Night Football and possibly revenge for the previous loss to the Jags. Reliant will be pumped and the Texans will prevail.

14 Dec. 7 at Green Bay Packers 1 p.m. W - Despite the cold, I think the Texans will give Aaron Rodgers problems all day long, and that will make the difference in the game.

15 Dec. 14 Tennessee Titans 1 p.m. W - The Texans will get revenge this year for getting swept 2 years in a row by returning the favor to the Titans.

16 Dec. 21 at Oakland Raiders 4:05 p.m. W - The Raiders have never beat the Texans and that isn't going to change this year.

17 Dec. 28 Chicago Bears 1 p.m. W - The Bears are in the second year of a decline. I see them bottoming out this year. Their stellar defense will be worn out by this game from playing on the field so much because of their inept offense. With nothing to play for the Bears will mail this one in.

Record: 12-4
Home: 8-0
Road: 4-4

120px-TexansSecondary.jpg

The Playoff Year
1 Sept. 7 at Pittsburgh Steelers 1 p.m. L - The Texans open up the season with a close loss to Pittsburgh on the road as Jeff Reed kicks the game winner with no time left on the clock.

2 Sept. 14 Baltimore Ravens 4:15 p.m. W - The Texans rebound from the loss versus the Steelers with a dominate defensive performance against the Ravens holding McGahee under 50 yards rushing in a 24-10 win in their home opener.

3 Sept. 21 at Tennessee Titans 1 p.m. W - The Texans go back on the road to play divison rival Tennessee, hold Vince Young under 200 yards passing and keep the Titans running game in check. Chris Brown contributes with a rushing TD and a recieving TD as he burns his former team. Texans prevail 23-17.

4 Sept. 28 at Jacksonville Jaguars 1 p.m. L - Maurice Jones-Drew has 2 TD's rushing as Jacksonsville beats the Texans 27-17.

5 Oct. 5 Indianapolis Colts 1 p.m. W - Rosevelt Colvin's sack and forced fumble(recovered by DeMeco Ryans) with 5 minutes left to play seals the win. The Texans jumped to a 17-0 lead but Peyton Manning showed why he is one of the best QB's ever leading the comeback in the 3rd quarter to tie the game at 17. Unfortunately the special teams of the Colts gives up 2 TD's in the 4th quarter as Andre Davis(kickoff) and Jacoby Jones(punt return) gave the Texans a lead they would not relinquish.

Jacoby-Jones-Cut2.png

6 Oct. 12 Miami Dolphins 1 p.m. W - Miami had the momentum and the lead going into the 3rd quarter with a 17-14 advantage but Schaub connects with Andre Johnson on a 80 yard TD pass to start the 3rd quarter to regain the lead and momentum as the Texans never look back with a 28-20 victory over the Dolphins.

7 Oct. 19 Detroit Lions 4:05 p.m. W - The Texans defense sets the tempo for this game sacking Lions QB Jon Kitna 6 times. Steve Slaton has his break out game with 170 all purpose yards and 2 TD's.

8 Oct. 26 Bye

9 Nov. 2 at Minnesota Vikings 1 p.m. L - Adrian Peterson plays against his hometown team and rushes for 150 yards with 2 TD's and the Vikings upset the Texans 24-20. The Texans let the game slip out of their hands with a Owen Daniels fumble in the 4th quarter.

images.jpg

10 Nov. 9 Cincinnati Bengals 1 p.m. W - With Bengals WR Chad Johnson sidelined with diarhea of the mouth, the Texans shut out the Bengals 23-0.

11 Nov. 16 at Indianapolis Colts 1 p.m. L - The Colts take advantage of the home field and beat the Texans 27-23. The Texans actually had the lead 23-20 with 4 minutes left in the game but Manning marched down field with a 67 yard TD drive.

12 Nov. 23 at Cleveland Browns 1 p.m. W - With Cleveland struggling the Texans jumped to a 23-7 lead in the first half. The Texans defense held the Browns to under 200 yards total offense as the Texans defeat the Browns 30-7.

13 Dec. 1 Jacksonville Jaguars (Mon.) 8:30 p.m. W - Playing their first MNF game in their history the Texans, wearing Battle Red jerseys, win a close hard fought game 23-20. The Texans win the game on a Kris Brown 40 yard FG with :01 second left on the clock.

fullj_getty-76024703bl003_chicago_b.jpg

14 Dec. 7 at Green Bay Packers 1 p.m. L - The Texans playing at Lambeau for the first time, lose this one 30-17. The Texans started off sluggish and never rebounded in the cold elements of Green Bay.

15 Dec. 14 Tennessee Titans 1 p.m. W - The Texans come back home and thaw out as they defeat the Titans 27-17. Mario Williams has 2 sacks and a FF to lead the Texans to victory.

16 Dec. 21 at Oakland Raiders 4:05 p.m. W - Dunta Robinson has a big game as he returns to the field where he suffered his injury last year. He has 2 INT's with one going all the way for a TD. Darren McFadden has a 95 yard TD but is not enough as the Texans defeat the Raiders 34-16.

17 Dec. 28 Chicago Bears 1 p.m. W - The Texans needing a victory over the Bears to land a Wild Card spot open the game with a Reeves Kick Off return for a TD. Reeves, was filling in for Andre Davis because he had flu like symptoms before Kick Off. That set the tone of the game as the Texans beat the Bears 28-13 and advances to the playoffs for the first time.

Regular Season record 11-5 Playoffs...TBA

texansnow-2.jpg

I'm going to be optimistic and say we will have a 11-5 record this year.:tiphat:

There are so many predictions in the Schedule thread, so lets just put this one up. My predictions:

1 Sept. 7 at Pittsburgh Steelers 1 p.m. L - In Pittsburgh, and is their home opener. Don't like our chances.

2 Sept. 14 Baltimore Ravens 4:15 p.m. W - A Ravens team with a new coach, shaky QB, and the only team to give Miami a win last season.

3 Sept. 21 at Tennessee Titans 1 p.m. W - The hell with Vince Young.

4 Sept. 28 at Jacksonville Jaguars 1 p.m. W - We own them. No reason to lose to them this game, as long as we are healthy.

5 Oct. 5 Indianapolis Colts 1 p.m. W - This is finally a win. AJ and company stay healthy.

6 Oct. 12 Miami Dolphins 1 p.m. W - The Dolphins? We better not lose this one is what I say.

7 Oct. 19 Detroit Lions 4:05 p.m. W - Detroit still searching for an identity. These guys are pretenders and our D can contain Kitna and their RB's.

8 Oct. 26 Bye W - I'm sure we can win this one.

9 Nov. 2 at Minnesota Vikings 1 p.m. W - Peterson is a beast, but here is to hoping Amobi eats him for lunch this game. Their don't have a strong receiver core, and D-Rob will probably be back for this game (especially after a bye). I call a win on this one.

10 Nov. 9 Cincinnati Bengals 1 p.m. W - Not the same Cincy from even two years ago. They have been on the decline, and I don't see that changing this season.

11 Nov. 16 at Indianapolis Colts 1 p.m. L - Peyton will want revenge.

12 Nov. 23 at Cleveland Browns 1 p.m. L - I hate Cleveland.

13 Dec. 1 Jacksonville Jaguars (Mon.) 8:30 p.m. W - Our boys always get hyped up for primetime, and once again we own the Jags. This is a win.

14 Dec. 7 at Green Bay Packers 1 p.m. L - The cold is too much.

15 Dec. 14 Tennessee Titans 1 p.m. W - Hey Vince, you aren't coming to Houston to win either.

16 Dec. 21 at Oakland Raiders 4:05 p.m. W - DA RAIDAAAS!

17 Dec. 28 Chicago Bears 1 p.m. L - Season closer and we rev up for the playoffs. Bears win this one as we just mostly play our backups and rest our starters.

Record: 11-5

Who's the chick in ya avatar????...damn anyways

I have them starting 1-4 against Steelers (L), Ravens (W), Titans (L), Jags (L), and Colts (L). I then have them going 3-2 in there next 5 with Dolphins, Lions, and Bengals being Ws and Minny/Indy being Ls. And then ending the season 2-4 with Wins coming against the Jags and Bears, and Losses coming against the Browns, Packers, Titans, and Raiders.

So that's a record of 6-10......Kubiak's job will then be on the line, we'll be angry for spending all our money on an injury prone QB, Mario will come back to his regular form, our secondary will continue to be not that good outside of Daunte, etc.....

I would post why again, but last time I did it I got banned.....not sure why....I'll find the thread and post a link just give me a second.

^^^I'm not lieing on this one man. Around the time I had only been posting in that particular thread (I haven't been in the No Spin Zone that much lately...check my post record), I didn't call anyone names or anything, all of a sudden I noticed that my posts couldn't be viewed.....Anyways it doesn't matter.......

lawd.....
you directed me to the middle of a ten-page "my-draft-choice-can-lick-your-draft-choice" argument. All for a couple of lines that say Mario's sacks were just a matter of him being in the right place at the right time.

Basically you said he was lucky.

"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity."
Roman philosopher, Seneca

Mario was prepared and the team created the opportunities. I'll take "luck" like that all day long, and twice on Sundays."

Well dream you can believe what you want, after watching Bud Adams for forty-five
years, this will be Vincent's make or break year. He hurls another dying duck onto his progression, you can color VY *gone*. I thought bringing in a disciplinarian, for a guy who has never had the discipline to clean up his mechanics...was a very poor choice. I'm not in the room & I dunno...my book says that, the addition of Mike Heimerdinger to the VY equation, came from Adams not Fischer.

http://www.titansonline.com/team/coaches/staff.php?PRKey=148

What Vincent proved last season is that there will Always be games where he'll get the lazy left foot and can't hit the broad side of bulls butt @ fifteen yards. And his throwing motion is what it is. He is too old of a cat to change his stripes now.

I said 10-6 on a board crawling with cowgirl fans and got laughed at.

If we stay healthy and win the turnover battle, we can win 10 to 11 games. I don't see anything funny about that. I might be setting the bar a little high for my expectations but isn't that what being a fan is all about?

If we stay healthy and win the turnover battle, we can win 10 to 11 games. I don't see anything funny about that. I might be setting the bar a little high for my expectations but isn't that what being a fan is all about?

Yeah I even said that I was a homer but thats how I saw it. A said we might take 1 from the Jags and they all jumped on me for that. They also jumped on me for saying we could be the Titans twice. A mess of them are ignorant Cowboys fans so I try not to fight with them.

Yeah I even said that I was a homer but thats how I saw it. A said we might take 1 from the Jags and they all jumped on me for that. They also jumped on me for saying we could be the Titans twice. A mess of them are ignorant Cowboys fans so I try not to fight with them.

Well if you can just ignore them, hopefully the Texans will shut'em up.:fans:

is there any other kind of Cowboy fan?

hahaha good point. There are a few ill give them that but man a few of my best friends are the worst. I almost hate them come football season. They all give me crap because im a Texans fan.

I said 10-6 on a board crawling with cowgirl fans and got laughed at.

you should have jotted down the names so that in Dec. when they are one and done and we're still playing you can go back and laugh at them

1 Sep 07 HOU @ PIT L - Pitt is still a very good team. I don't think we're giving them enough credit. They still have a very good defense to go with a ground game that isn't as "punishing" as in the past, but eats up clock. But they open it up a lot more than in years past. It will cause problems. Their Receivers are going to give us fits. Big Ben is a game manager basically, but he does that very very well. I think its when we start getting Miller involved I think our smallish safties are in trouble. I think we play well, but early in the season, while you're under a new line coach, that's not when you want to play a 3-4 team especially when they send Polamalu as often as they do.

2 Sep 14 BAL @ HOU W - There was a time when they put the fear of God in their opponents. That time has passed. They are relying on Boller again? That guy is amazing actually. How they STILL believe he's the guy is beyond me. I mean how many "mentors" has he gone through? As for the game, I think its pretty (or ugly if you're from the north east). I think our WRs give them hell and we are looking at the second 3-4 in a row and we get it right on the OL.

3 Sep 21 HOU @ TEN W I think we're legitimately better than the Titans this year. They lost a lot on defense, and I don't think they are like the steelers who can keep losing defensive players every year and still compete. Vince will make our DBs look real good for the first time all year.

4 Sep 28 HOU @ JAC L While we've moved up in the division, its only one spot. Jacksonville is closer to Indy than they are us. That ground game, the defense, QB are all positions of strength. The only position that isn't near the top of the NFL is WR. But this team is built around the ground game. And honestly, unless our LBs prove they can fill holes, this will be a long game.

5 Oct 05 IND @ HOU L - OK. If you think we are in their league (even though we're in their division.. wierd huh?).... TAKE THE GLASSES OFF. We're not. I know any given sunday. Well not this sunday.

6 Oct 12 MIA @ HOU W - Miami? Really. They're going to be competitive in a lot of games. I REALLY don't think we're going to be one of their 4 wins.. GAWD I HOPE NOT.

7 Oct 19 DET @ HOU W 4-3. That's not a bad start. If only you lined up 11 receivers... Detroit would then have a verifyable draft strategy. What exactly are their strengths? I don't know and I'm not going to bother to do the research to be honest. Generally, I track a up and coming teams... I keep up with what's going on around the league. But when you look and see their roster you're like "wow... that guy plays in the league?"... I think we should beat those teams this year.

8 Bye

9 Nov 02 HOU @ MIN L - This is Jacksonville North. Ok so I'm not sold on Jackson at QB, but the rest of this team should scare the hell out of you. Top to bottom they have solid talent, and again fast runners with power (like MJD) kill us.

10 Nov 09 CIN @ HOU W This is a shoot out. I think our defense is just so much better that we've at least got to be able to get a stop or two.

11 Nov 16 HOU @ IND L See above

12 Nov 23 HOU @ CLE L - We saw them last year and they are a solid team. I really think this is one of those game that if its in Houston, we win, if its in CLE.. they win... I think we're just that closely matched. The sad thing is I can see them making the playoffs.

13 Dec 01 JAC @ HOU W - Surely this is a battle red game. Unlike last years which was only meaningful in a moral sense to us, and to them was completely meaningless. This time around, we're still in the hunt. Kinda similar to last year, we need a lot of things to go right.

14 Dec 07 HOU @ GB L - These guys are good. Everyone is saying "rogers... bad team"... anyone watch how he played against Dallas? It will be our first meaningful game in franchise history up there. And they will be fighting for a playoff seed so you know it will be crazy.

15 Dec 14 TEN @ HOU W - Bud, it took a while, but we're better than you. Oh and we're going to be better than you for quite a while. Sorry Vince... I loved ya as a horn... but thumbtacks look horrible on you.

16 Dec 21 HOU @ OAK W This game might be closer than we expect. Man that offense is bad. Man that defense is good.

17 Dec 28 CHI @ HOU W - It is after all Chicago. Only way we drop this game is if I'm wrong about a few (and I hope I am) and we've got playoffs locked up. Then we'll Jacksonville it, they'll get win #4 and everyone's happy.

I'm going with 9-7. Its better than before I sat down and analyzed the schedule but I'm worried about 2 games, Cincy and Oak. Cincy because man they should be able to put up some points this year. I know about Chad, but I think he had a bad year. He'll be back.... and TJ WHOSYOMAMMA... our DBs are going to really struggle that game IMHO. With Oakland. Any team that can play defense can hang around. Those are the two pitfalls I can see. I think we will jump up and surprise too so I think 8-8 or 9-7. I don't see us doing much better or worse because there are as many winalble games as there are loseable games. Now the usual injury disclaimer applies.

Mike

For the time being, I'll go 10-6.
I think we'll get out of the gate a bit stronger!

Still checking out the goods we have.
Glad to hear that Mike is giving us a winning season! :specnatz:

12-4 if the starters stay healthy. Tied with Jacksonville or Indy for Division lead. NO.1 in NFL in Sacks and least sacks allowed. Top 5 offense, Top 5 defense. Mario beats single season sack record. We win the superbowl. (I'm feeling really positive ) :)

For the time being, I'll go 10-6.
I think we'll get out of the gate a bit stronger!

Still checking out the goods we have.
Glad to hear that Mike is giving us a winning season! :specnatz:

You know we have a real shot when I'm touting it!!!

Mike

What Vincent proved last season is that there will Always be games where he'll get the lazy left foot and can't hit the broad side of bulls butt @ fifteen yards. And his throwing motion is what it is. He is too old of a cat to change his stripes now.

That's why I think that the Titans are not worried about having a quality WR. They know that VY will never be more than a chunk it QB. I think they will be running the ball alot and using the 2 TE set a great deal so they don't have to worry about VY being able to hit WRs down field. VY has already been quoted as saying how much he likes their broken down FA TE that they picked up. I can see them hoping that their O-line can stand up DTs and DEs just long enough for VY to dump off the ball to a RB or TE. VY will have a yard per pass of somewhere around 5 yards and he will cut down on his INTs because he will only be allowed to really throw the ball 4 or 5 times a game. That will lead will lead to him having a good completion % and it will allow the ICOU to blame everything on someone else besides VY, once again. This time maybe it will be Jeff Fischer because the ICOU faithful think their new OC can do no wrong and that VY is the best QB in the history of the game.

That's why I think that the Titans are not worried about having a quality WR. They know that VY will never be more than a chunk it QB. I think they will be running the ball alot and using the 2 TE set a great deal so they don't have to worry about VY being able to hit WRs down field. VY has already been quoted as saying how much he likes their broken down FA TE that they picked up. I can see them hoping that their O-line can stand up DTs and DEs just long enough for VY to dump off the ball to a RB or TE. VY will have a yard per pass of somewhere around 5 yards and he will cut down on his INTs because he will only be allowed to really throw the ball 4 or 5 times a game. That will lead will lead to him having a good completion % and it will allow the ICOU to blame everything on someone else besides VY, once again. This time maybe it will be Jeff Fischer because the ICOU faithful think their new OC can do no wrong and that VY is the best QB in the history of the game.

David Carr like almost.

10-6

Home wins: ravens, fins, lions, cinci, jags, titans, bears
Home losses: colts

Road wins: browns, packers, raiders
Road losses: steelers, titans, jags, vikings, colts

It will look bleak to many who are not true believers at the beginning of the season when we are 1&4.
5 game win streak to end the season.

12-4 if the starters stay healthy. Tied with Jacksonville or Indy for Division lead. NO.1 in NFL in Sacks and least sacks allowed. Top 5 offense, Top 5 defense. Mario beats single season sack record. We win the superbowl. (I'm feeling really positive ) :)

I need to know your doctors name. I want what ever you're having.

I think 9-7 is possible. I think 7-9 is more likely. And I think a lot of you have underestimated the moves Detroit made with their o-line this off season. I have this vision of Jack Reeves or Petie locked one on one with Calvin Johnson or Roy Williams. It's not pretty.

8-8 again. Our defense being the reason for the same record as last year. If Okam plays like a probowler his rookie year, and we somehow find a pass rusher opposite Mario, and Molden plays as good as Dunta while he is out on pup then we will have a better record. Good thing is that Richard Smith will probably get fired after this season if he can't improve this defense.

@ Pittsburgh L
vs. Baltimore W
@ Tennessee W
@ Jacksonville L
vs. Indianapolis W
vs. Miami W
vs. Detroit W
Bye
@ Minnesota L
vs. Cincinnati W
@ Indianapolis L
@ Cleveland W
vs. Jacksonville W
@ Green Bay L
vs. Tennessee W
@ Oakland W
vs. Chicago W/L Depending on if we rest our starters.

10-6

btw, does anyone know what our other battle red day is? If it's against one of the team I put we lose to then you can change it to win.

09.07 @ Pittsburgh: W - With absolutely no O-line to speak of, we'll out score them in a shootout.
09.14 vs. Baltimore: W - No QB = no scoring.
09.21 @ Tennessee: W - Young looked terrible this preseason.
09.28 @ Jacksonville: L - I really like Jacksonville this year.
10.05 vs. Indianapolis: L - Its Indy
10.12 vs. Miami: W - If we can't beat Miami, we are in for a long season
10.19 vs. Detroit : W - See Miami comments
10.26 Bye
11.02 @ Minnesota: L - I think this could be a real test for our team.
11.09 vs. Cincinnati: W - Cinci has no D, we'll outscore them
11.16 @ Indianapolis: L - Its Indy
11.23 @ Cleveland: L - Anderson should be back by now. This is a good young team.
12.01 vs. Jacksonville: L - See previous comments.
12.07 @ Green Bay: L - real toss up on this one.
12.14 vs. Tennessee: W - its here, we'll win.
12.21 @ Oakland: W - See Miami comments.
12.28 vs. Chicago: W - See Miami comments.

9-7: No playoffs this year. Still too many weaknesses in the secondary and at running back.

DID YOU KNOW?: • The Texans have played the second-toughest schedule in the league next to Cincinnati. Texans opponents are 13-6 (.684). Bengals opponents are 16-6 (.727).

• The Texans' next four opponents (Miami, Detroit, Cincinnati and Minnesota) are a combined 3-14 (.176).

Told ya. that was one mofo of a starting five. The only break we got was a decent bye. And Ike ate that up.

http://blogs.chron.com/nfl/2008/10/nfl_notebook_manning_lobs_kind.html

Back