Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans Players (and other teams' players) Have Tested Positive for COVID-19

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
The inevitable has begun to occur. I believe that I know 2 of those players, but don't feel comfortable in identifying any of the Texans players by name at this time.

The Cowboys have also had several of their players test positive. Throughout the midst of the previous greatest COVID period, one Cowboys player continued to have regular very large parties at his home, defying both state orders..............and common sense. But, of course, common sense has never been an outstanding trait of Ezekiel Elliot's.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
At Methodist, I know that as an emergency hospital overflow contingency plan, there has been discussions of utilizing NRG. That tends to imply to me that there is some real skepticism as to if the NFL will be playing this season.............or that the Texans will be based in Houston if this season is able to proceed.

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
At Methodist, I know that as an emergency hospital overflow contingency plan, there has been discussions of utilizing NRG. That tends to imply to me that there is some real skepticism as to if the NFL will be playing this season.............or that the Texans will be based in Houston if this season is able to proceed.
There should be any number of collegiate football stadiums/facilities available this Fall for playing and televising NFL games if needed.

StarStruck

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
There should be any number of collegiate football stadiums/facilities available this Fall for playing and televising NFL games if needed.
I was curious if Rice and Cotton Bowl Stadiums would be possible options for practicing social distancing and playing open air. If so, I need a discount, lol.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
NFLPA: Plan is to test players for COVID-19 about three times a week
Posted by Josh Alper on June 15, 2020, 4:41 PM EDT

News on Monday that players from the Cowboys, including running back Ezekiel Elliott, and Texans have tested positive for COVID-19 brought another reminder of the challenges that teams will face as the NFL moves forward with the 2020 season.

One of the questions that many are waiting to have answered is how often players will be tested once they report for training camp this summer. NFL Players Association medical director Thom Mayer offered an idea about that answer during a call with players and agents on Monday.

Mayer said, via multiple reports, that players should expect to be tested about three times a week and, per Tom Pelissero of NFL Media, isolating those who test positive. He also said that he was 90 percent certain that saliva tests will be readily available for that process when teams get to camp in July. Positive tests are expected and Mayer offered a reminder that everyone is going to have to figure out a way to work around that inevitability.

“We can’t figure out how to fit the virus into football, we have to figure out how we’re going to fit football into the virus,” Mayer said, via Zack Rosenblatt of NJ.com. “This is a bad-ass virus.”

A full set of protocols is expected in the coming weeks with the league looking for camps and the regular season to start on schedule.

**********************************************************************************************
From my previous post (yesterday)in the NBA section regarding their proposed testing protocol. It applies likewise to the NFL's proposed testing protocol.:

The standard deep nasopharyngeal swab COVID tests in themselves are quite inaccurate (if anyone has read my posts in the COVID thread)...........and done properly, they are somewhat uncomfortable. So now it seems that these big strong he-men basketball players through the NBAPA have requested a less invasive more comfortable test since they will have to undergo so many. The shorter nasal swab, tongue swab have all been deemed to be less accurate than the long nasal swab tests. And the saliva test has been purported by some to be just as accurate has never been thoroughly studied and peer-reviewed. And will the Protocol, due to inaccuracies of the testing, follow FDA recommendations that if a negative test is observed, it must be followed by another test to try to validate the results? That's going to be a heck of a lot of testing.

Then, just like the NFL COVID Protocol, there have been no protocol for when there is a positive player test...............how it is handled..........and how those other players exposed are to be handled.

:popcorn:
Seems like no one is taking into account the average of 3 days to obtain results. And, if you bring up the "rapid test" now available.................which can give a result in 5 minutes..............be prepared to accept a 50% false negative/accuracy rate. It would be cheaper and just as accurate for each team to train and assign their analytics coordinator to perform an alternate test............an analytic tool that they are familiar with and are already using with significant frequency.:

1592260617854.png

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
610 mentioned Jacob Martin as one of the Texans players to test positive.
He attended the Floyd funeral.There were too many people seated too closely to comply with the ordered church/funeral/wedding regulations; and the order for good reason has strong recommendations to not have congregational singing, which that service did. The order also calls for no more than 250 people to attend such an event; over 500 were there.

Seegara

Guitar Picker, Dog Lover, Woodworker
The inevitable has begun to occur. I believe that I know 2 of those players, but don't feel comfortable in identifying any of the Texans players by name at this time.

The Cowboys have also had several of their players test positive. Throughout the midst of the previous greatest COVID period, one Cowboys player continued to have regular very large parties at his home, defying both state orders..............and common sense. But, of course, common sense has never been an outstanding trait of Ezekiel Elliot's.
If you are not their doctor and did not gain knowledge via your capacity as a doctor, then you are not bound by principles of confidentiality.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
so Zeke didn't want his personal information released...context for conversation in this thread

From the article:
It should not be the big deal it is being made. There is no shame to contracting COVID-19. Hundreds of thousands have. More will.

Elliott isn’t the first NFL player to have a positive test and won’t be the last, and he’s fortunate it came in the offseason.

People with positive tests should want to make it known they have it for contact tracing purposes to try to reduce the spread.
Dak Prescott hosted a birthday party for a friend that flagrantly violated Texas’ “safer-at-home” social distancing orders. This on the very weekend when most of Texans spent the Easter holiday separated from family and friends, adhering to the ‘safer apart’ model. Elliott was there from beginning to end along with at least 30 others.............all of them indulging in a large serve yourself buffet...............all at a time when the following Texas directive was in place:

All public and private gatherings—including gatherings of friends and family residing in different households or dwelling units--of any number of people occurring outside a single household or dwelling unit is prohibited, with exception to essential activities and essential work or members of a household or dwelling unit.
Consider also that each COVID infected persons can be expected to infect 5.7 others.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
Consider also that each COVID infected persons can be expected to infect 5.7 others.
Honestly its hard to quantify that ….

A normal person who's following social distancing guidelines may infect something in that range (family of 4-5) or less.

A person who isn't following those guidelines and is indulging in group activities , they are liable to infect exponentially more.

Me ? I avoid most people , I don't want to bring that crap home to my wife and kids or infect my parents or in-laws …. I'm old , they are really old.

texanhead08

All Pro
I still haven't went out for a meal since all this started. I was considered an essential employee so the company has been open through all this but I am around very few people and I am taking extra precautions because I have to check on my elderly parents on a regular basis. It irks me when I see people blowing off instructions and being reckless about this virus.

I don't think there will be a football season the way things are looking.

KA4Texan

Woof!
Contributor's Club
I am still wearing my layered mask when I go to work. I am about the only person to wear a mask. The rest of my coworkers.
"I cant breathe with it on :crying:"

We are such a spoiled and entitled people..... "A mask might save lives" "Its too hot.:crying:"

Unfortunately my DL expires next month and cant renew online. I thought the DMV/DPS sucked before Covid.

My wife and I have avoided most people and dont go anywhere other than curbside grocery pickup.

Aside from hiw we get groceries and not going anywhere on my days off..... I go to work and go home as any day before covid.

Now I just look like a ninja doing it.

I think that definitions should be given when coronavirus is talked about. It seems so many people out there think that "Highly Infectious" means it can only transmit if you're high at the time of contact.

I dont believe that there will be football this year either outside of Madden. I will say this though, as much as I want our GM/HC to go away, I hope he and his family stay safe and healthy. I want him gone, but the right way... I dislike OB the HC/GM, I have no ill will to the man himself.

Mangler

Toro de España
I am still wearing my layered mask when I go to work. I am about the only person to wear a mask. The rest of my coworkers.

We are such a spoiled and entitled people..... "A mask might save lives" "Its too hot.:crying:"
You do realize that stupid little mask ain’t protecting you from anything, right? You’re only protecting things and people from your spit flying on them. But whatever makes people feel safer, I guess. I only wear mine when I’m forced to by the establishments, other than that, I let my immune system do it’s thang. Not like I like being around other people anyway, even before this Covid bullshiat.

I’m normally not around more than one other person anyway. Other than my wife, I guess you can say 2 more people. (Wife and in laws, or wife and my parents when we decide to visit them.)

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
I was curious if Rice and Cotton Bowl Stadiums would be possible options for practicing social distancing and playing open air. If so, I need a discount, lol.
Dunno why not, because you know from what I understand they even played a SB game on the Rice field once ?

StarStruck

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club

Unfortunately my DL expires next month and cant renew online. I thought the DMV/DPS sucked before Covid.
I renewed my license the week before the shut down and was dreading it because of expected long lines. I decided to go to my hometown <20k, and was there about 20 minutes total.

KA4Texan

Woof!
Contributor's Club
You do realize that stupid little mask ain’t protecting you from anything, right? You’re only protecting things and people from your spit flying on them. But whatever makes people feel safer, I guess. I only wear mine when I’m forced to by the establishments, other than that, I let my immune system do it’s thang. Not like I like being around other people anyway, even before this Covid bullshiat.

I’m normally not around more than one other person anyway. Other than my wife, I guess you can say 2 more people. (Wife and in laws, or wife and my parents when we decide to visit them.)
Yes Im aware that it upsets people like you because I wear a mask and dont care if it makes me look stupid. I stopped caring about what others thought of me before high school

Whether it does or does not protect me or others its doing SOMETHING beats being a selfish jerkoff that does nothing but whine how inconvenient it is to take precautions for yourself or others.

Mangler

Toro de España
Yes Im aware that it upsets people like you because I wear a mask and dont care if it makes me look stupid. I stopped caring about what others thought of me before high school

Whether it does or does not protect me or others its doing SOMETHING beats being a selfish jerkoff that does nothing but whine how inconvenient it is to take precautions for yourself or others.
The hell? I’m gonna go re-read my post cause I don’t know what part made you believe you wearing a mask “upsets” me. Talk about a knee jerk response...

Mollywhopper

Facilitator
Staff member
True but just Bundesliga, PGA Tour and NASCAR come to mind. Team sports in the US feel so far away right now IMO
MLS is in its way back.

Meanwhile MLB and the NBA aren't even being held up by covid concerns. Those are over money and social justice.

badboy

Hall of Fame
The hell? I’m gonna go re-read my post cause I don’t know what part made you believe you wearing a mask “upsets” me. Talk about a knee jerk response...
I had same response from friend who chooses mask. When I asked if he was wearing to stop other than Covid19 as masks do not prevent 19 from going through his mask; he said "thanks for insult and free lecture". IIRC CnnnD posted the measurements of most efficient mask in comparison to size of 19. I agree anything is better than nothing for health but only keeps out the slop from direct sneeze or cough and not the virus itself. If I am wrong, I'm sure Doc will correct me.

Mangler

Toro de España
I had same response from friend who chooses mask. When I asked if he was wearing to stop other than Covid19 as masks do not prevent 19 from going through his mask; he said "thanks for insult and free lecture". IIRC CnnnD posted the measurements of most efficient mask in comparison to size of 19. I agree anything is better than nothing for health but only keeps out the slop from direct sneeze or cough and not the virus itself.
Right. I find it really weird how people get so offended when anyone explains why they disagree with wearing face masks. I don’t think I wrote anything bad anywhere in my post to get that type of response. I guess I hurt his feelings without realizing it?

Texansballer74

The Marine
Hey don't you realize what tourney exposure can do for a youngster? What kind of football dad are you?
Not football bro I’m talking about basketball. Shoots the way things are going they might not have sports period. Now my youngest son wanted to play football again this year. They do have camp going on as well. Very structured and they are following a very strict safety guideline. But even with that there’s no real guarantee they will have a season this year.

badboy

Hall of Fame
For some reason I could no
Not football bro I’m talking about basketball. Shoots the way things are going they might not have sports period. Now my youngest son wanted to play football again this year. They do have camp going on as well. Very structured and they are following a very strict safety guideline. But even with that there’s no real guarantee they will have a season this year.
many kids are upset they were not able to finish year and have grad ceremony. Heck when I was in high school if I had been told I could not attend and still graduate I would have said sign me up! I paid to go to summer school for two summers so I could have enough credits to skip senior year. The only prom I went to was my girlfriends junior prom and I knocked over my glass of tea. Due to my working late we got there late and had to make room for us at table with principal and school administrators. Man I know how to get attention.

CWTexansFan

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Contributor's Club

Wow, just wow and don't worry, I'm sure you look stupid without the mask, jerkoff.
At least if you people are gonna wear the damn things, please please please wash them or replace them. Walking around with 2 months worth of bacteria strapped to your mouth. Smdfh.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
I had same response from friend who chooses mask. When I asked if he was wearing to stop other than Covid19 as masks do not prevent 19 from going through his mask; he said "thanks for insult and free lecture". IIRC CnnnD posted the measurements of most efficient mask in comparison to size of 19. I agree anything is better than nothing for health but only keeps out the slop from direct sneeze or cough and not the virus itself. If I am wrong, I'm sure Doc will correct me.
If anyone has kept up with the COVID thread, they would understand that I believe that masks in practicality probably contribute relatively little to the prevention of the spread of the virus. However, I choose to wear a mask even outside the hospital when I am among groups of people in stores, etc. Why? As a reminder/example to others that following guidelines are important. If some people see others not wearing masks, many in turn take this and extrapolate that they can pick and choose what they feel are "important' restrictions and which they can ignore. Leading by example is especially important for the younger generations. Unfortunately, if you just look around, you can see that there has been and continues to be a lot of unwise individual picking and choosing going on.

toronto

Hall of Fame
If anyone has kept up with the COVID thread, they would understand that I believe that masks in practicality probably contribute relatively little to the prevention of the spread of the virus. However, I choose to wear a mask even outside the hospital when I am among groups of people in stores, etc. Why? As a reminder/example to others that following guidelines are important. If some people see others not wearing masks, many in turn take this and extrapolate that they can pick and choose what they feel are "important' restrictions and which they can ignore. Leading by example is especially important for the younger generations. Unfortunately, if you just look around, you can see that there has been and continues to be a lot of unwise individual picking and choosing going on.
Considering what my grandparents went through just to survive WW2, I can wear a damn mask.

KA4Texan

Woof!
Contributor's Club
Wow, just wow and don't worry, I'm sure you look stupid without the mask, jerkoff.
At least if you people are gonna wear the damn things, please please please wash them or replace them. Walking around with 2 months worth of bacteria strapped to your mouth. Smdfh.
:spit:

I wash mine daily after every use. Thanks for your concern about my laundry practices.

toronto

Hall of Fame
And that's cool for you but doesn't apply to me. Allow me to smother your nose and mouth and when you stop breathing count to 50 and that's a small example of how I feel wearing a mask. I'm not denigrating your g"parents. Please do not denigrate me.
I hate it too, but feel different. I want this mess over with and until everyone gets on board wearing a mask and/or staying home, this **** isn't going away until there is a vaccine...and even then, anti-vaxxers will tell us to screw off too. Cannot win it appears.

badboy

Hall of Fame
I hate it too, but feel different. I want this mess over with and until everyone gets on board wearing a mask and/or staying home, this **** isn't going away until there is a vaccine...and even then, anti-vaxxers will tell us to screw off too. Cannot win it appears.
Your post is the problem T, the masks do not stop the virus. It has zero impact other than a placebo and as Doc said encouraging other folks to distance and wash hands; both of which does impact the spread. The virus ends when people stop doing things like partying, hanging at beach and protesting in groups. Stupid is what spreads virus not the absence of a mask.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
There've been pro sports since both the breakout and the lockdowns though..

Devoid of fans .... and in general not team sports.

NASCAR without fans - the drivers separated by …. cars.

Golf - An individual sport.

MMA …. two people - thorough testing prior.

All of that is a far cry from 22 players on the field in close contact.

You just can't social distance and tackle someone.

MLS is in its way back.

Meanwhile MLB and the NBA aren't even being held up by covid concerns. Those are over money and social justice.
The players have rejected everything the owners have suggested in terms of revenue sharing for this half season with no fans. They want all their money despite the financial issues / no fans / playing half a season …. The owners are now talking about canceling the season completely.

badboy

Hall of Fame

The players have rejected everything the owners have suggested in terms of revenue sharing for this half season with no fans. They want all their money despite the financial issues / no fans / playing half a season …. The owners are now talking about canceling the season completely.
I'm no longer into MLB but to be fair, it's a bit more than you indicate. As I understand, the players have already this year agreed to cut backs in salary asked for by the owners and agreed to by players union. Now owners want players to "sacrifice" again.

Mollywhopper

Facilitator
Staff member

It's not about fans or not, it's about the virus being the sole impediment to play.

And so far that hasn't really been the case in any event.

MLS and WNBA are on their way back, team sports are back overseas, and more individual sports have already been ongoing.. fans or no fans.

And I have zero dog in the fight really, I just can't see these organizations cave. Not with what's at stake financially.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
It's not about fans or not, it's about the virus being the sole impediment to play.

And so far that hasn't really been the case in any event.

MLS and WNBA are on their way back, team sports are back overseas, and more individual sports have already been ongoing.. fans or no fans.

And I have zero dog in the fight really, I just can't see these organizations cave. Not with what's at stake financially.
I really don't disagree because of the finances at stake …. but basically they'd need to implement the NBA model where players are "in a bubble" and fans won't be part of the equation …. and that's a huge part of the financial puzzle.

toronto

Hall of Fame
I really don't disagree because of the finances at stake …. but basically they'd need to implement the NBA model where players are "in a bubble" and fans won't be part of the equation …. and that's a huge part of the financial puzzle.
One positive test in that bubble destroys any plans made. This fkn virus doesn't care about pro sports' feelings.

Btw, was nice of Carr to tell me to go **** myself three or four times in his drunken rage..it all gets scrubbed by perhaps you then no apology from him or another word spoken. That's wrong man.