Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans Player Transaction DISCUSSION Thread

Neville Hewitt back on 1 year deal:

Hewitt has played 3 seasons in Houston. All one year deals. He was active for all 17 games last season as a core special teamer. Only played 3 snaps on defense all season but 84% of the total special teams snaps.

His snap counts have gone 63, 81 and 84% of ST snaps each year since joining the team. Safe to say Frank Ross sees him as a key member of the ST units.

While helping the Texans take the helm as the league's top-ranked special teams unit for the second consecutive year, Hewitt recorded 13 tackles, a league-best on special teams.

"Kind of a tone setter — I think three special teamers ran the fastest in that game," special teams coordinator Frank Ross said. "Our two gunners ran 20.7 and 20.8 mph. I believe and then Neville Hewitt ran 20.1. That dude was humming and have you ever seen Neville Hewitt? You don’t want to get in front of him if he’s running 20 miles per hour, so he is a juggernaut when he gets going. Man, nobody sells out harder, so proud of where he’s at.”

Last edited:
Hewitt has played 3 seasons in Houston. All one year deals. He was active for all 17 games last season as a core special teamer. Only played 3 snaps on defense all season but 84% of the total special teams snaps.

His snap counts have gone 63, 81 and 84% of ST snaps each year since joining the team. Safe to say Frank Ross sees him as a key member of the ST units.

While helping the Texans take the helm as the league's top-ranked special teams unit for the second consecutive year, Hewitt recorded 13 tackles, a league-best on special teams.

"Kind of a tone setter — I think three special teamers ran the fastest in that game," special teams coordinator Frank Ross said. "Our two gunners ran 20.7 and 20.8 mph. I believe and then Neville Hewitt ran 20.1. That dude was humming and have you ever seen Neville Hewitt? You don’t want to get in front of him if he’s running 20 miles per hour, so he is a juggernaut when he gets going. Man, nobody sells out harder, so proud of where he’s at.”
Every championship level team needs a few guys like Hewitt.

Agreed. I see a talented player who has been injured/playing on crappy teams. How often did we see people play crappy on those crappy Texans teams only to go somewhere else and play well when they are put on a better team?

Lets see if a change of scenery and MAYBE being more healthy than previous seasons will help the Texans cash in that lotto ticket.
It very much depends on the type of injuries. A shoulder labrum and quad tendon rupture are not negligible injuries. Both have significant long-term implications.

Looks like another Lotto ticket
Not sure you can really call him a lotto ticket. This isn't in the Okudah or Henderson veign of reclamation projects.

I think you know exactly what you're getting from him. Slot corner, very good tackler. Nothing flashy or special but solid.

Furthermore Ryans opting for guys like Okudah and Henderson over guys like Nelson shows a very clear game plan. We want press man corners. Nelson can do it, but he's really an off cover corner. It's very clear we want to go a different direction with this defense.

Not sure you can really call him a lotto ticket. This isn't in the Okudah or Henderson veign of reclamation projects.

I think you know exactly what you're getting from him. Slot corner, very good tackler. Nothing flashy or special but solid.

Furthermore Ryans opting for guys like Okudah and Henderson over guys like Nelson shows a very clear game plan. We want press man corners. Nelson can do it, but he's really an off cover corner. It's very clear we want to go a different direction with this defense.
You think they're tooling for one team in particular?

Ryans wants corners who can slow receivers out of the gate….giving his defensive front seven time to create havoc on the pocket.

I mentioned this in the injury thread, but probably needs to be here instead.

I think DeMeco knows as much about the current draft board as Nick does. I’m pretty certain that DeMeco will continue to trade down. From his interview at the owner’s meeting, he see’s a “sweet spot” of players that will be available in the 3rd and 4th rounds, and he wants to stockpile those picks. I won’t be shocked if he uses both those 2nd rounders to end up with 6 or 7 3rd and 4th rounders at the end of day. QUALITY DEPTH!

I mentioned this in the injury thread, but probably needs to be here instead.

I think DeMeco knows as much about the current draft board as Nick does. I’m pretty certain that DeMeco will continue to trade down. From his interview at the owner’s meeting, he see’s a “sweet spot” of players that will be available in the 3rd and 4th rounds, and he wants to stockpile those picks. I won’t be shocked if he uses both those 2nd rounders to end up with 6 or 7 3rd and 4th rounders at the end of day. QUALITY DEPTH!
Totally makes sense. But please do not move out of the 2nd. At some point you have to recognize that talent becomes less predictable and available as the draft moves on.

Does anyone know how many players the Texans currently have under contract? I know they need to bring 90 to camp.

Myjai Sanders couldn’t even make it to offseason workouts. Wow

Myjai Sanders couldn’t even make it to offseason workouts. Wow
Not unusual to cut players early that they don't envision a future for. May be cutting them early to give them a chance to catch on with another team while saving a bit of cash. Sanders was due $1.164M and the other 2 915K each. Both above the vet minimum they can fill the spaces for camp bodies with

Nick Caserio free agency good job imho (status since April 4 not currently updated)
View attachment 13982

They have leveled up everywhere except DT and CB2. Though you could argue Autry for DT as well and of course we still have the draft.

I only say CB2 is not leveled up because Nelson has performed better on the field than Henderson/Okudah. But Henderson/Okudah are the more talented players with superior length. Up to the coaches to bring it out!

They have leveled up everywhere except DT and CB2. Though you could argue Autry for DT as well and of course we still have the draft.

I only say CB2 is not leveled up because Nelson has performed better on the field than Henderson/Okudah. But Henderson/Okudah are the more talented players with superior length. Up to the coaches to bring it out!

I actually am higher on Fatukasi than most, if he can stay healthy he could be a solid (short-term) fit at NT. He's not a pass-rusher, but has played decently against the run.

I agree with the Henderson/Okudah comment, though I do believe this is their last chance to be starters.

I actually am higher on Fatukasi than most, if he can stay healthy he could be a solid (short-term) fit at NT. He's not a pass-rusher, but has played decently against the run.

I agree with the Henderson/Okudah comment, though I do believe this is their last chance to be starters.
I agree about Fatukasi, but Ryans likes to platoon his DLmen. Who's #2? Settle? Davis? I think Davis may platoon at the 3 tech with Autry.

I agree about Fatukasi, but Ryans likes to platoon his DLmen. Who's #2? Settle? Davis? I think Davis may platoon at the 3 tech with Autry.
It wouldn't surprise me if Hall Jr is the pick as a 3 tech at 2-59. I also like Logan Lee as a 3 tech late in the draft. I could also see Murphy from North Carolina they did talk to him at the East-West game.

Back