Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

TEXANS OTAs

Exactly. Mercilus has had multiple seasons of double digit sacks but because a rookie couldn't shut him down there must be a problem with the kid.

There's no problem

Just Howard has further to go than Dillard does.
Reading between the lines, Tytus is having a rough start.

They keep throwing a lot at the OL, an approach that hasn't worked.

Meanwhile:.

@BrandonGowton: Andre Dillard’s "athleticism has flashed big-time early on"

#Eagles https://t.co/l7abTRP73s

This is to be expected from an elite athlete.

So you're saying Dillard could have stopped Mercilus?

I'm saying Dillard should be further along because he played against better competition. This doesn't mean Howard cant catch up, he just has a ways to go.

It also doesn't surprise me at all that reporters are raving about Dillard's athleticism.

So, if the rookies went inside on the OL we would possibly be looking at this OL:

LT- Davenport / Khalil / Howard / Rankin
LG- Howard / Rankin / Davenport
OC- Fulton / Martin / Mancz
RG- Scharping / Mancz / Martin
RT- Henderson / Scharping

Kelemete would seem to be the odd man out.

Last edited:
Exactly. Mercilus has had multiple seasons of double digit sacks but because a rookie couldn't shut him down there must be a problem with the kid.
First rd pick is he not?
Didnt trade up for another option because they were high on him, right?

He has expectations as a first rd pick on a team with a huge hole at his position. If he ain't starting LT opening day most will consider him a bust.

Is what it is.

I hope the dude becomes what they see in him.

So, if the rookies went inside on the OL we would possibly be looking at this OL:

LT- Davenport / Khalil / Howard / Rankin
LG- Howard / Rankin / Davenport
OC- Felton / Martin / Mancz
RG- Scharping / Mancz / Martin
RT- Henderson / Scharping

Kelemete would seem to be the odd man out.

Ok I'm lost. Did I miss a signing? Who is this new starting Center Felton?

If Davenport can step up in the face of competition, that means he doesn't do his best normally, and recidivism is likely once he gets rid of the competition. Will he revert back to his lazy self?

Sorry, it doesn't mean that at all. Several have already responded more eloquently, but wow, your conclusion is way way off.

Two centers I wanted badly off board before Texans 2nd rd picks (Elgton Jenkins, Packers and Eric McCoy, Saints) nobody is talking about the truly weak link, Center, Martin. Does anyone else think Devlin should try Rankin out there?
They should try somebody at center to compete with Martin, I just don't know who. Mancz would work, but if I recall correctly, CND reported Mancz is dealing with injuries that have really limited him.

Last edited:
Two centers I wanted badly off board before Texans 2nd rd picks (Elgton Jenkins, Packers and Eric McCoy, Saints) nobody is talking about the truly weak link, Center, Martin. Does anyone else think Devlin should try Rankin out there?

I've been talking about the Center since before the draft. I was convinced that I was looking at everything all wrong. Even though our tackles had decent run blocking grades there was still a lot of penetration on the interior. I'm hoping the cross training helps them figure out how to work together.

I've been talking about the Center since before the draft. I was convinced that I was looking at everything all wrong. Even though our tackles had decent run blocking grades there was still a lot of penetration on the interior. I'm hoping the cross training helps them figure out how to work together.

Both players mentioned fill immediate need and become impact starters day one. Martin was drafted 2nd rd in same range but failed to perform up to expectations, similar to Xavier Su'a-Filo.

As a left tackle, Rankin will struggle with edge speed and as a right tackle he may have issues as a run blocker handling the power he will face. While he offers tackle flexibility and may get an early look at right tackle, his best position might be at center where his instincts and intelligence will stand out. The further Rankin kicks inside the better he will be. He may be average as a tackle or guard, but he could become a good NFL starter if he gets his shot at center.
https://www.battleredblog.com/real-...develop-into-a-starting-nfl-offensive-lineman

Both players mentioned fill immediate need and become impact starters day one. Martin was drafted 2nd rd in same range but failed to perform up to expectations, similar to Xavier Su'a-Filo.

As a left tackle, Rankin will struggle with edge speed and as a right tackle he may have issues as a run blocker handling the power he will face. While he offers tackle flexibility and may get an early look at right tackle, his best position might be at center where his instincts and intelligence will stand out. The further Rankin kicks inside the better he will be. He may be average as a tackle or guard, but he could become a good NFL starter if he gets his shot at center.
https://www.battleredblog.com/real-...develop-into-a-starting-nfl-offensive-lineman
Does anyone know if the Texans are trying Rankin at Center to see how he does?

@GallantSays
Here are my #Texans OTA observations from yesterday: - I saw at least 8 different OL combos out there with players mixing and matching at different positions. I’m hoping that number will be cut down when I’m out there watching next week

- Kahale Warring has massive shoulders, and made a really tough catch in coverage for a TD towards the end of practice. He had chances to do that in rookie minicamp, but the QBs couldn’t hit him.

— Paul Gallant (@GallantSays) May 22, 2019

- Watson seemed a little off, but at least his throws were high and usually out of play. Traditionally his interceptions are under thrown balls on the run that he doesn’t step into.

— Paul Gallant (@GallantSays) May 22, 2019

I hope that's what is behind the cross training. To find the optimum position for each of our linemen & put together the best 5 & a real plan for depth & development.

Well this is the idea and Ive heard both BG and OB state it. Their idea is to put the five best OL on the field period. So if one goes out in a game the best guy on the bench may not be the best at the position of the injured player, so the need for the cross training. One thing that impressed me with this new regime is this uber competitiveness they seem to be instilling throughout the organization. If anyone takes their position for granted they may just lose it. I see it’s a true paradigm shift.

I’d be interested to see how Rankin would perform there. A lot of analysts thought center was his natural NFL position during his draft year.

I’d be interested to see how Rankin would perform there. A lot of analysts thought center was his natural NFL position during his draft year.

Hope I’m not reading too much into this thing called “versatility” but seems like there will be heated competition on this Texan roster going forward and if can impress some @ Center not only would that be a feather in his helmet, to O’Brian, he would be Martins back-up maybe even rotational depending on injury and matchups. That’s versatility. He also just so happens to have an excellent makeup to play center. Mixture of maturity, intelligence and agility to eventually take the reigns. He was a semi finalist for the Campbell Trophy in 2017 given to top football scholar athlete.

Hope I’m not reading too much into this thing called “versatility” but seems like there will be heated competition on this Texan roster going forward and if can impress some @ Center not only would that be a feather in his helmet, to O’Brian, he would be Martins back-up maybe even rotational depending on injury and matchups. That’s versatility. He also just so happens to have an excellent makeup to play center. Mixture of maturity, intelligence and agility to eventually take the reigns. He was a semi finalist for the Campbell Trophy in 2017 given to top football scholar athlete.

I like his size in the middle. This OL on paper might be the biggest in the league.

Well this is the idea and Ive heard both BG and OB state it. Their idea is to put the five best OL on the field period. So if one goes out in a game the best guy on the bench may not be the best at the position of the injured player, so the need for the cross training. One thing that impressed me with this new regime is this uber competitiveness they seem to be instilling throughout the organization. If anyone takes their position for granted they may just lose it. I see it’s a true paradigm shift.

Every team coaches wants to field the very best. So of course OB& BG stated this. But we've seen OB do otherwise. One example: starting Savage. 2nd example: starting Martin over Mancz.

That's just a few

Is there practice today? If so, is it open to the media?

I need updates!

https://www.houstontexans.com/news/texans-offseason-dates-announced

Texans offseason dates announced
ispbe0ye23rnwrfddk7r.jpg

Deepi Sidhu
TEXANS INSIDER AND LEAD WRITER

In less than two weeks, Houston Texans players will return to NRG Stadium for offseason work.

The Texans begin their sixth offseason workout program under head coach Bill O’Brien on April 16. The purpose of the NFL offseason program is to provide training, teaching and physical conditioning for players.

The nine-week voluntary offseason program is conducted in three phases with the 2019 schedule as follows*:

April 15: First day

April 15-19: Offseason workouts (Phase 1, Week 1)

April 22-26: Offseason workouts (Phase 1, Week 2)

April 29-May 3: Offseason workouts (Phase 2, Week 3)

May 6-10: Offseason workouts (Phase 2, Week 4)

May 13-17: Offseason workouts (Phase 2, Week 5)

May 20: Start of OTAs (organized team activities)

May 20-21, May 23: OTA #1, 2, 3 (Phase 3, Week 6)

May 28-30: OTA #4, 5, 6 (Phase 3, Week 7)

June 3-4, June 6-7: OTA #7, 8, 9, 10 (Phase 3, Week 8)

June 11-13: Mandatory Minicamp (Phase 3, Week 9). This is the only portion of offseason workout program that is mandatory.

Phase One consists of the first two weeks of the program with activities limited to strength and conditioning and physical rehabilitation only.

Phase Two consists of the next three weeks of the program. On-field workouts may include individual player instruction and drills as well as team practice conducted on a "separates" basis. No live contact or team offense vs. team defense drills are permitted.

Phase Three consists of the next four weeks of the program. Teams may conduct a total of 10 days of OTA activity. No live contact is permitted, but 7-on-7, 9-on-7, and 11-on-11 drills are permitted.

Rookie minicamp dates will be announced at a later date, but those may be conducted either on the first or second weekend following the NFL Draft.

*The NFL Offseason Workout Program calendar dates are tentative and subject to change at the discretion of individual clubs

Reading between the lines, Tytus is having a rough start.

They keep throwing a lot at the OL, an approach that hasn't worked.

Meanwhile:.

@BrandonGowton: Andre Dillard’s "athleticism has flashed big-time early on"

#Eagles https://t.co/l7abTRP73s
The Headline is not supported in the article. The rest of the short statement:
"His athleticism has flashed big-time early on, I’m told. And while questions exist when it comes to his run blocking (he’s definitely a projection [project?]), the Eagles liked his strength, balance and ability to bend.

How do you come to such dogmatic conclusions when no contact occurs? I guess the author feels readers will only read the headline and walk away impressed.

How do you come to such dogmatic conclusions when no contact occurs? I guess the author feels readers will only read the headline and walk away impressed.

You're right there wasn't much in the article supporting the headline. My guess is someone on the team told him but he didn't have any specifics

I was reading an article the other day from a Philly writer who was really questioning Dillards run blocking skills from a different angle. This guy was saying he doesnt have that nasty streak much needed for a run blocking mentality. Meanwhile it was good to hear DW specifically mention that Howard has some nasty in him.

I was reading an article the other day from a Philly writer who was really questioning Dillards run blocking skills from a different angle. This guy was saying he doesnt have that nasty streak much needed for a run blocking mentality. Meanwhile it was good to hear DW specifically mention that Howard has some nasty in him.

https://www.houstontexans.com/news/deshaun-watson-showing-growth-improvement

Heading into the Texans nine-week offseason program, Deshaun Watson admitted he wasn’t thinking about his goals for the 2019 season. Yet.

Watson’s singular focus was to work on himself, everything from improving footwork to watching film and understanding where he could correct mistakes.

“He has improved a great deal just in his mastery of our offense, how our offense operates, the communication of our offense,” head coach Bill O’Brien said. “He's done an excellent job. He's a very bright guy and he works very hard. All he wants to do is what's best for the team. All he wants to do is win, help the team win.”

Through his 16 starts in 2018, Watson completed 68.3 percent of his passes for 26 touchdowns, nine interceptions and a franchise-best 103.1 passer rating. Through Weeks 11-17, Watson attempted 207 consecutive passes without an interception, which is currently the longest streak in the NFL. According to O’Brien, Watson has also improved his understanding defensive coverages this spring.

"You have to be ready for all of the defensive looks you're going to get, and he's done a good job of that, understanding coverage better, understanding blitz schemes better," O'Brien said. "Really has good command of what's going on right now during this time of the year. So, he's really done a good job this spring.”

Heading into the Texans nine-week offseason program, Deshaun Watson admitted he wasn’t thinking about his goals for the 2019 season. Yet.

Watson’s singular focus was to work on himself, everything from improving footwork to watching film and understanding where he could correct mistakes.

“He has improved a great deal just in his mastery of our offense, how our offense operates, the communication of our offense,” head coach Bill O’Brien said. “He's done an excellent job. He's a very bright guy and he works very hard. All he wants to do is what's best for the team. All he wants to do is win, help the team win.”

Through his 16 starts in 2018, Watson completed 68.3 percent of his passes for 26 touchdowns, nine interceptions and a franchise-best 103.1 passer rating. Through Weeks 11-17, Watson attempted 207 consecutive passes without an interception, which is currently the longest streak in the NFL. According to O’Brien, Watson has also improved his understanding defensive coverages this spring.

"You have to be ready for all of the defensive looks you're going to get, and he's done a good job of that, understanding coverage better, understanding blitz schemes better," O'Brien said. "Really has good command of what's going on right now during this time of the year. So, he's really done a good job this spring.”

And yet he played like crap in the playoff game.

And yet he played like crap in the playoff game.

Deshaun Watson 1st playoff game: 29/49 59% completion percentage 235 yds........ 1 TD,......1 INT....76 yds rushing

Tom Brady: 32/52 61% completion percentage 312 yds,......0 TD's, 1 INT ..1 rush TD......W (tuck rule game)
Peyton Manning: 19/42 45% completion percentage 227 yds, ......0 TD's, 0 INT...1 rush TD...... L
Andrew Luck: 28/54 52% completion percentage 228 yds, .....0 TD's, 1 INT........................L
Drew Brees: 31/42 73% Completion percentage 319 yds,......2 TD's, 1 INT.......................L
Pat Mahomes: 27/41 66% completion percentage 278 yds,......0 TD's, 0 INT...1 rush TD......W

I mean i could list more but you get the point. As you see, a performance like Brees or Rodgers' back in 08' are typically the exceptions not the rule for guys starting their 1st playoff game..even the greats. & noone should've been surprised by how bad he played given that & the challenges he had upfront for the entire season.

Deshaun Watson 1st playoff game: 29/49 59% completion percentage 235 yds........ 1 TD,......1 INT....76 yds rushing

Yup, he suk'd thanks for providing the stats to back up steelbtexan's unwarranted criticism.

Haven't even had TC yet

What does that have to do with playing like crap in the playoffs?

How much could he really have learned from a couple of OTA's? #fluff piece, smoke being blown up my butt.

Tom Brady: 32/52 61% completion percentage 312 yds,......0 TD's, 1 INT ..1 rush TD......W (tuck rule game)
Peyton Manning: 19/42 45% completion percentage 227 yds, ......0 TD's, 0 INT...1 rush TD...... L
Andrew Luck: 28/54 52% completion percentage 228 yds, .....0 TD's, 1 INT........................L
Drew Brees: 31/42 73% Completion percentage 319 yds,......2 TD's, 1 INT.......................L
Pat Mahomes: 27/41 66% completion percentage 278 yds,......0 TD's, 0 INT...1 rush TD......W

I mean i could list more but you get the point. As you see, a performance like Brees or Rodgers' back in 08' are typically the exceptions not the rule for guys starting their 1st playoff game..even the greats. & noone should've been surprised by how bad he played given that & the challenges he had upfront for the entire season.

I didn't say I was surprised.

Just thought I'd point out this to the Jesus in cleats crowd. How much did he learn this offseason? I'm guessing not much the learning curve for next season is just beginning. This was nothing more than a fluff piece.

Back