Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans Minicamp, OTA’s and Preseason

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
I actually don’t have a problem with him getting a little extra work in these games. Injuries can happen in practice just as easily (see Watson 2017), or he could go down in week 1 and the Texans will be just as fucked. I think the benefit of Taylor getting some reps with his new team in a live game environment outweighs the risk of injury.
I'm cool with the way Caserio is handling the situation. Either play for us or drop the no trade and we send you for best value, but you're not going to have your cake and eat it too. Soon as he went to camp, I would've run him with the ones as usual. If he pulled a Harden, boom , suspension. It has to be burning him up inside not playing.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
I'm cool with the way Caserio is handling the situation. Either play for us or drop the no trade and we send you for best value, but you're not going to have your cake and eat it too. Soon as he went to camp, I would've run him with the ones as usual. If he pulled a Harden, boom , suspension. It has to be burning him up inside not playing.
I’m going to assume this post was meant for another thread? Because the response certainly had nothing to do with what you quoted me on.

beerlover

Hall of Fame
I actually don’t have a problem with him getting a little extra work in these games. Injuries can happen in practice just as easily (see Watson 2017), or he could go down in week 1 and the Texans will be just as fucked. I think the benefit of Taylor getting some reps with his new team in a live game environment outweighs the risk of injury.
If and when Tyrod Taylor goes out with injury, wouldn’t it be prudent to be in games that count? Not like Texans are going to win AFC South but least protect the assets you do have to extend that dream.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
If and when Tyrod Taylor goes out with injury, wouldn’t it be prudent to be in games that count? Not like Texans are going to win AFC South but least protect the assets you do have to extend that dream.
If he's playing in the 2nd half of any of these games, or even late into the 2nd quarter, yeah, I agree it's dumb to have him out there. But you can't keep these guys in bubble wrap.

The start of the season, lately, it seems that the quality of play has been suboptimal. I believe that's because starters see very little game action in PS anymore. They're basically getting their PS in in the 1st 2 or 3 weeks of the regular season. And if that's the way everybody does it then whatever. But less games, less padded practices, less reps = a lesser quality of play, IMO.

If you're an Aaron Rodgers, or any QB really, that's on the same team with the same offense, I don't think you need many PS reps. But when you go to a new team, and have to learn a new offense, especially with the turnover the Texans have had, I think a few extra PS reps would be a good thing. If he gets injured, he gets injured. It's not like it's costing us a trip to LA in February.

I think if you want to "extend the dream", then you need to be as prepared as possible. Having him just play a handful of snaps, if that much, doesn't get you prepared. Especially since I think the early part of the schedule is their best chance to rack up some W's. You want to have your best shot of getting those. I mean, I guess you do.

beerlover

Hall of Fame
If he's playing in the 2nd half of any of these games, or even late into the 2nd quarter, yeah, I agree it's dumb to have him out there. But you can't keep these guys in bubble wrap.

The start of the season, lately, it seems that the quality of play has been suboptimal. I believe that's because starters see very little game action in PS anymore. They're basically getting their PS in in the 1st 2 or 3 weeks of the regular season. And if that's the way everybody does it then whatever. But less games, less padded practices, less reps = a lesser quality of play, IMO.

If you're an Aaron Rodgers, or any QB really, that's on the same team with the same offense, I don't think you need many PS reps. But when you go to a new team, and have to learn a new offense, especially with the turnover the Texans have had, I think a few extra PS reps would be a good thing. If he gets injured, he gets injured. It's not like it's costing us a trip to LA in February.

I think if you want to "extend the dream", then you need to be as prepared as possible. Having him just play a handful of snaps, if that much, doesn't get you prepared. Especially since I think the early part of the schedule is their best chance to rack up some W's. You want to have your best shot of getting those. I mean, I guess you do.
The only thing Tyrod will get out of exhibition/preseason games is hurt. If Taylor was on the bubble then let him prove he’s worth roster spot but he is not. Wrap him in bubble rap until real games begin.

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.
Then why do so many accuse DC, NC, Cal, Easterby and so many others of all kinda of misdeeds while making statements like yours for their favorite issues? Politics? Me thinks.

I hardly think accusing folks of mismanaging a team and accusing someone of being a sexual predator are the same.

One is now being reviewed by a grand jury and the other is the subject of bad Houston media.

I'll spin the bottle till it points back at ya. Politics me thinks.

I hope we are not headed for Covid shutdown part 2!

There is no politics meant to be involved in that comment. Just stating what is quite possible regardless of party affiliation.

Last edited:

powda

I hope we are not headed for Covid shutdown part 2!

Well, I'd suggest your in the wrong thread but all the covid threads I started (well before anyone knew what covid 19 was) have been shut down.

I'm all for it. People in general suck so I already social distance. The light traffic is nice. Another market crash would make me even more $.

Well, I'd suggest your in the wrong thread but all the covid threads I started (well before anyone knew what covid 19 was) have been shut down.

I'm all for it. People in general suck so I already social distance. The light traffic is nice. Another market crash would make me even more $.
Covid came to be part of the thread due to key players recently being put on the Reserve/COVID-19 List. I am seeing more and more of that taking place thus my comments in regards to it.

powda

Covid came to be part of the thread due to key players recently being put on the Reserve/COVID-19 List. I am seeing more and more of that taking place thus my comments in regards to it.

And yet, it's off topic and destined for delete by a mod.

banned1976

sleeper mode
The only thing Tyrod will get out of exhibition/preseason games is hurt. If Taylor was on the bubble then let him prove he’s worth roster spot but he is not. Wrap him in bubble rap until real games begin.
If I thought Taylor was "the future" (meaning the young quarterback drafted high with high upside) of this franchise and the Texans were in win now mode, I'd agree with you but he's not and they're not. Taylor is a 32 year old going into his eleventh season in the NFL, playing out a one year contract on his 5th team. He is a stop-gap quarterback in which there are many.

Who really needs some good work in these preseason games are the young wide receivers and tight ends. But the best we'll probably see out of them with Jeff Driskel and Davis Mills throwing at their feet or airmailing balls into the stands is their route running capabilities.

The other reason I'd like to see more rather than less of Taylor is I'd kind of like to see these young guys on offense build some confidence and continuity going into the season. Sure, I'd also like to see Mills and Driskel get some work but sidelining Taylor would be a mistake, IMO. Taylor in the first quarter, or first 5 offensive series tonight is what I'd like to see.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
If I thought Taylor was "the future" (meaning the young quarterback drafted high with high upside) of this franchise and the Texans were in win now mode, I'd agree with you but he's not and they're not. Taylor is a 32 year old going into his eleventh season in the NFL, playing out a one year contract on his 5th team. He is a stop-gap quarterback in which there are many.

Who really needs some good work in these preseason games are the young wide receivers and tight ends. But the best we'll probably see out of them with Jeff Driskel and Davis Mills throwing at their feet or airmailing balls into the stands is their route running capabilities.

The other reason I'd like to see more rather than less of Taylor is I'd kind of like to see these young guys on offense build some confidence and continuity going into the season. Sure, I'd also like to see Mills and Driskel get some work but sidelining Taylor would be a mistake, IMO. Taylor in the first quarter, or first 5 offensive series tonight is what I'd like to see.
I absolutely agree with banned1976. This whole show is essentially new from the ground up so everyone should be playing to begin setting some type of continuity.

beerlover

Hall of Fame

I’m just objective observer. Decision making is top down, they have a plan to follow, right or wrong. I’m fine trotting him out and playing for the first overall pick, but my gut says different, measure & balance expectations that make most business sense.

2015-2017 Buffalo results far and away his best results but moved on after concussion near end of wildcard loss to Titans. Played one season for Cleveland 2018 (4 games) cut short from dislocated finger, back injury & concussion. 2019-2020 with Chargers and infamous punctured lung incident but was performed to begin with to relieve rib discomfort. They cleared him week 11 but only in emergency situation, still suffering from chest/rib strain pull.

2020- (1st game) 208 yards 30 pass attempts.
2019- 33 yards 6 attempts 1TD
2018- 473 yards 85 attempts 2TD 2 INT
2017- 2799 yards 420 attempts 14 TD 4 INT
2016- 3023 yards 436 attempts 17 TD 6 INT
2015- 3035 yards 380 attempts 20 TD 6 INT

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller

That's another issue all together. It comes down to what do the Texans think? If they're not of the mindset that this is a throw away "tank" season, then their best chance to win games is Tyrod Taylor and getting him prepared. If they truly are in rebuild mode and just not admitting it for obvious reasons, then they need to try and get Mills prepared as much as possible, if for nothing else than to see if they need to draft a QB next year.

beerlover

Hall of Fame

My takeaway; if you cannot afford to lose critical assets, why risk them? Doesn’t matter if it’s a 3-14 team or 14-3 team, each situation/team has own coaching culture/methodology.

Last edited:

banned1976

sleeper mode

My takeaway; if you cannot afford to lose critical assets, why risk them? Doesn’t matter if it’s a 3-14 team or 14-3 team, each situation/team has own coaching culture/methodology.
Why have preseason games to begin with? That's probably the broader question and always a good topic for debate.

This particular team opted out of joint practices. Granted, so did most teams because of COVID concerns. But I feel (my own personal feelings on the subject) this particular team, out of all the prior versions of the Texans, could have really used those joint practices. So from my own perspective, it's important to get this work in tonight for the prospective one's. There's additional value to earn from this preseason game. If you let the players play. As I stated before, it's not just about Taylor. It's about the receivers, the tight ends, and the running backs needs in working with him. It would really suck if Taylor got hurt, but as Speedy pointed out, players get hurt in no contact drills all the time.

For the record, and I'm stating it here, I believe the Texans offensive line is going to be top 15 this year. Perhaps even top 10. I've really warmed up on them a lot. I like what James Campen did with Green Bay, where he spent most of his time playing and coaching. They were the top pass blocking units in 2016, and even though they had 9 different offensive lineman playing over 200 snaps in 2017, they still finished with the 13th best offensive lines that year. I think he can do that here with all the new offensive linemen brought in along with some good vets, including, of course, Tunsil as the anchor.

Back to Taylor, now that I just talked about Tunsil. I'll change my mind about playing Taylor tonight if Tunsil isn't protecting his blindside.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Why have preseason games to begin with? That's probably the broader question and always a good topic for debate.

This particular team opted out of joint practices. Granted, so did most teams because of COVID concerns. But I feel (my own personal feelings on the subject) this particular team, out of all the prior versions of the Texans, could have really used those joint practices. So from my own perspective, it's important to get this work in tonight for the prospective one's. There's additional value to earn from this preseason game. If you let the players play. As I stated before, it's not just about Taylor. It's about the receivers, the tight ends, and the running backs needs in working with him. It would really suck if Taylor got hurt, but as Speedy pointed out, players get hurt in no contact drills all the time.

For the record, and I'm stating it here, I believe the Texans offensive line is going to be top 15 this year. Perhaps even top 10. I've really warmed up on them a lot. I like what James Campen did with Green Bay, where he spent most of his time playing and coaching. They were the top pass blocking units in 2016, and even though they had 9 different offensive lineman playing over 200 snaps in 2017, they still finished with the 13th best offensive lines that year. I think he can do that here with all the new offensive linemen brought in along with some good vets, including, of course, Tunsil as the anchor.

Back to Taylor, now that I just talked about Tunsil. I'll change my mind about playing Taylor tonight if Tunsil isn't protecting his blindside.
What has been seen of this oline that gives you such hope? Isn't tonight the first opportunity to actually see (backups) the oline in a game scenario even if preseason?

beerlover

Hall of Fame
Preseason games are a tool by which you evaluate rosters, period. You’ve got to make tough decisions, cut players or move to practice squad. If you scrimmage smart, test players under more controlled situations not only do you already know how you positions stack, you also minimize injury’s.

In the Chargers case and Tyrod Taylor specifically, both have been injury prone, so anything you can do to mitigate these flares up is prudent. At least that’s the conclusion of both Brandon Staley and Sean McVay. New school tools to error on side of caution.

James Campen was Chargers offensive line coach in 2020 they ranked last in the league.
32. LOS ANGELES CHARGERS
The Chargers’ offensive line has been among the worst in the NFL for several years now, but they were supposed to be better this season after adding veterans Trai Turner and Bryan Bulaga to the right side of the line. At least, they were supposed to be better in theory — that’s not what played out on the field.

Turner and Bulaga both battled through injury-shortened seasons and weren’t effective when they were on the field, either. Bulaga’s 61.6 overall grade ranked 29th at the right tackle position, and Turner came in as the lowest-graded right guard in the entire league by a wide margin (34.8). Those were the veterans who were supposed to raise the floor of what was otherwise a bad unit coming into the year, which made the lack of production from those two players hurt all the more.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Brady plays a half in 2 of 4 preseason games. Preseason matters with timing and hitting. In practice, you're not hitting your own teammate . Tyrod should play a half and a 3rd qt possession in each of the next 2 games. Imo
Oh no, I'm all about Taylor getting some extra work in, but no way even I would play him that much.

And Brady is just a freak of nature, so you can't really compare what he does to anyone.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Depth charts at this point mean very little. Driskel is probably named #2 simply because he is a vet.
Maybe so. Was he #2 last week? I mean, I know he played like #2.

And I get that there’s 35 players or so that won’t be on that list at all in a couple of weeks, but it means something to somebody or they wouldn’t put them together.

And this BS they’re doing with Watson, enough already! Tell the MFer he’s starting, let him pull his fake injury BS, then suspend him and file a grievance. Quit tip toeing about with this BS.

Last edited:

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Maybe so. Was he #2 last week? I mean, I know he played like #2.

And I get that there’s 35 players or so that won’t be on that list at all in a couple of weeks, but it means something to somebody or they wouldn’t put them together.

And this BS they’re doing with Watson, enough already! Tell the MFer he’s starting, let him pull his fake injury BS, then suspend him and file a grievance. Quit tip toeing about with this BS.
Driskel was #2 on the depth chart last week.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Texans’ Jacob Martin bulks up: ‘I get to eat the fun stuff’

Texans defensive end Jacob Martin got to indulge a lot more this offseason, perusing menus for plenty of tasty food in his ongoing quest for bulk as he returned to his natural defensive end position from outside linebacker.
Although Martin remains relatively lean for a defensive lineman, he has gained a significant amount of size and strength as he’s much bigger in his upper body and lower body through hoisting heavy weights and dramatically increasing his caloric intake overall. He has also enjoyed some cheat meals.

“I get to gorge a little bit more,” Martin said. “I get to eat the fun stuff a little bit more often. That’s always a plus. I’ve been meaning to do a 10,000-calorie day. Whether it’s an extra-large meat lover’s pizza or a Brazilian steakhouse, I want to try it.”

Martin played last season at roughly 242 pounds and is now up to 252 pounds. He added a lot of rice to his diet to incorporate more carbohydrates. One of his cheat meals: Lefty’s Cheesesteak, which is owned by Texans Pro Bowl quarterback Deshaun Watson.

“I don't have to watch as much what I eat,” Martin said. “I'm a leaner guy and I don't have to really watch as much what I'm putting in my body.”

Martin remains the Texans’ lightest and arguably their most explosive edge rusher. He had two sacks in the Texans’ scrimmage, beating offensive tackle Charlie Heck with a sudden burst to the quarterback.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
SF just cut QB- Josh Rosen b/c they didn’t feel he would get enough reps with the current QB’s, Garropolo and Lance. If Rosen isn't careful....he might become the modern day Steve DeBerg.

For me, no brainer to dump QB- Jeff Driskel and sign Rosen. The Texans current QB room could be his best opportunity since he was drafted. My guess…..Rosen would come pretty dang cheap.

Last edited:

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
At DC’s presser today he said everyone will play. Not sure if he meant everyone on the team or everyone who didn’t play last week. Smiled when talking about Mills. said Heck is the player that improved the most from the start of TC to now.
I'd be willing to bet "everyone" doesn't play even if everyone played.