Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

TEXANS KICKOFF 2020 SEASON AGAINST THE CHIEFS

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I would no longer call myself a fan of this team but I like Watson. People pointing out every little mistake he makes and acting like he’s the problem are delusional.

I wanted Mahomes over him, but Watson isn’t some Scrub. No qb makes every read perfect. All of them miss things and make mistakes. They all go back and look at film and wish there were things they did differently.

Watson is a MUCH better qb than Matt Schaub could ever dream of being, but Schaub had great seasons here because he had a coach that actually knew wtf he was doing offensively. The offense wasn’t reliant on Schaub being perfect and making every read. The Scheme itself did a lot of the heavy lifting, but of course there were times when you needed a superstar play from Schaub and he couldn’t deliver and that was the disconnect.

The scheme is supposed to make it easier on all the players. You shouldn’t have to go out and spend so much capital to get top rated players just to be an average offense. OB is trying to buy his way into a good offense and that ain’t gonna work because he’s not good at any of his jobs.

He doesn’t develop players and he doesn’t take unheralded guys and make them better. That should tell you all you need to know. He can’t develop an OLine so he has to buy one. He can’t develop WRs so he spends high draft picks and trades for them. Can’t develop RBs so he trades his best we for one. Watson has not made any significant improvement in his game since he got here.

I use Kubiak as a reference but you can take any good offensive (or defensive) staff and it’s the same thing. They usually have quite a few guys that were under the radar and they take them and make them good players or even studs. Then they take great players and make them all world. Who exactly has gotten better here in all the years that OB has been here? Not many players. Good offensive staffs have a list of players they took and made better.

That alone should let you know what the problem is. If this clown cant develop OL and skill players he damn sure isn’t going to develop a QB.
Yep. Fire OB and get Eric Bieniemy as HC. He's knows what to do with a talent like Watson & Mahomes.

I'm sorry (not sorry), but we know what O'Brien is at this point. Nothing we saw last night can lead us to believe that anything has changed. Kelly is just carrying his water. O'Brien, after 6+ seasons, puts out a pedestrian product. Good enough to beat the crap teams (so they are slightly better than mediocre), but cannot ever consistently compete with the elite teams. That's his M.O., and tigers cannot change their stripes.

This QB and franchise needs new leadership. Simple eye test as a football fan and trusting your gut instinct will tell you that.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
Austin you are 100% right! I am merely pointing out with all OB spent on the OL they sucked again tonight.
I think OB should be thinking really hard as to who should replace Felton. I was surprised on the 2nd possession but it went to shite after that. Felton is the weak link and I wonder if he can get better as the season progresses.

OptimisticTexan

Watson didn’t play a poor game. Can’t perform when your right guard is getting beat like a drum and the offensive line looks like skit. Can’t perform when your receivers can’t get open or schemed open. On two of the Chiefs touchdowns they were beautiful designed rub routes. Where the F is our rub routes?
Exactly!!! Same OL’ shite times 6!!! Watson was probably saying to himself....good lord, why did I take this money?

Got a shite load of TE’s and OB seats them at both ends of the bench like ducking bookends.

Texans elite receivers were shut down by a rookie CB. He contained them or remained on their hip all night.

This OB’s through and through. 2 back set was a wrinkle but it would’ve been nice to include a 2 TE set with the 2 backs a couple of times. Scheme was so damn predictable that was calling the running plays before the guys even got back in the huddle.

I still see a massive rebuild coming and hopefully OB is no where near the Texans when it starts b/c if he is, he’ll bury the Texans in a 5 to 7 year cesspool just like Isaiah Thomas did the NY Knicks.

OptimisticTexan

It's Fulton's 7th year in the league. I don't know what else to say.
You and me both!!! His only bright spot came when playing for an injured Martin at Center.....but OB was wearing a blindfold during those games and must’ve had eye surgery to avoid looking at film to see that Felton’s best production happened in OB’s favorite OL’s position.

dream_team

Hall of Fame
As far as DW4 goes, defenses have figured him out. He hasn't adjusted. Scheme has nothing to do with missing your checkdown to your RB 3rds away from you. (Atleast twice) Mahomes makes those plays in his sleep. The problem isn't with DW4 missing.reads, it's that he's consistently missing the same reads. The other problem is he just got signed to a 160 mil contract and for this BOB will eventually get fired. At what point is it on the player to adjust and improve his game? Coaching can only do so much.
IMO, making proper reads comes from coaching. It's the coaches that are telling them, if you see this, then do this.

Now maybe he's not doing what the coaches are teaching? Or he just doesn't comprehend what the coaches are preaching? If that's the case, he should be benched and definitely shouldn't have gotten that extension.

Considering BOB hasn't done either of those, he must be happy with what he's doing on the field.

santo

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
The experience of watching the Texans play should be defined by the joy of watching Deshaun Watson. Houston is blessed with one of the sport’s budding superstars, a 24-year-old dynamo quarterback with skills that rank among the league’s best and the heart of a lion. He’s the reason the Texans were put in Thursday’s season-opening spotlight game against the Super Bowl champion Chiefs. For most of Watson’s career, it seemed like he singlehandedly guaranteed a compelling game. Watson didn’t lose a game by more than a touchdown throughout his entire college career and his first two seasons in the pros. Put Alabama, the Patriots, or Satan across the line of scrimmage, and it didn’t matter—Watson was good enough to keep his team competitive.

theCATALYST

Football Messiah
"Trying to stage a double-digit comeback by running the ball is like trying to eat soup with a fork. That would be damning for any head coach in the league, but it’s especially so when the head coach eating the soup is also in charge of acquiring the cutlery."

:hankpalm:

76Texan

Hall of Fame
"THIS TEXANS OFFENSIVE LINE IS MAKING WATSON'S JOB A LOT MORE DIFFICULT
Watson faced an insurmountable amount of pressure against the Chiefs. He was under pressure on 45.5% of his straight-dropbacks, and it wasn't as if one single lineman was to blame — all five starters were equally responsible, as they each allowed multiple pressures."

"Watson himself was charged with just one pressure."

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Watson was 0-of-5 with an interception on passes thrown 15 or more yards downfield tonight. In 2019, Watson completed 51% of those same throws, fourth best among qualified players, according to
@ESPNStatsInfo

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Watson was 0-of-5 with an interception on passes thrown 15 or more yards downfield tonight. In 2019, Watson completed 51% of those same throws, fourth best among qualified players, according to
@ESPNStatsInfo
At least 2 of those were drops (Fuller and Still).
And obviously, the INT was due to Fell's getting punked by Mathieu (something that should NEVER happen).

austins23

Hall of Fame
You can’t expect any player to perform like Superman when your offensive line still can’t block or receivers who are speed demons can’t get open. Andy Reid scheme made it that much easier for Patrick. Go on that all 22 and look at the play designs on those touchdown passes in the red zone for the Chiefs. With all of that traffic in a small window space, that design made it easy pickings. That drag route by Hill in the red zone lol was easy pickings. That’s how you utilize your speed in tight quarters. We didn’t utilize none of our speed receivers like that. No crossing routes, no rub routes just no creativity at all.
IMO, making proper reads comes from coaching. It's the coaches that are telling them, if you see this, then do this.

Now maybe he's not doing what the coaches are teaching? Or he just doesn't comprehend what the coaches are preaching? If that's the case, he should be benched and definitely shouldn't have gotten that extension.

Considering BOB hasn't done either of those, he must be happy with what he's doing on the field.
Scheme and rub routes....

I’ll go back to that Cover Zero play where DW threw it incomplete to the left sideline.

Shouldnt he know that’s cover zero? Shouldnt the TE lined up at the end of the line know it’s cover zero? Shouldnt DW know to audible out of that. Shouldn’t the TE beathis coverage to the inside and run forever? Shouldn’t the WR know to break off his route to a hot route over the middle?
Is OB and Kelly goin over this? They know that Spagnola loves cover zero. Was this covered in the game plan?
lots of questions that a 6-7 year head coach should be prepared for.

Mangler

Toro de España
Yep. Fire OB and get Eric Bieniemy as HC. He's knows what to do with a talent like Watson & Mahomes.

I'm sorry (not sorry), but we know what O'Brien is at this point. Nothing we saw last night can lead us to believe that anything has changed. Kelly is just carrying his water. O'Brien, after 6+ seasons, puts out a pedestrian product. Good enough to beat the crap teams (so they are slightly better than mediocre), but cannot ever consistently compete with the elite teams. That's his M.O., and tigers cannot change their stripes.

This QB and franchise needs new leadership. Simple eye test as a football fan and trusting your gut instinct will tell you that.
Couldn’t agree more, DB!

OptimisticTexan

@ESPNStatsInfo
Did I miss the multiple WR's running wide open and Watson had the pocket time to choose which one would catch his TD fling.....but he just couldn't get it done?

dream_team

Hall of Fame
Did I miss the multiple WR's running wide open and Watson had the pocket time to choose which one would catch his TD fling.....but he just couldn't get it done?
The commentators were saying both teams are taking away the big play. Obviously the Chiefs took advantage. Will be interesting to watch the All-22 to see why the Texans couldn't do the same.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
They didn’t run on us like they didn’t last night. Reader was very good in plugging up that middle.
51-7

And althogh they were better, they have a long way to go before catching up with the Chiefs. This is both on offense and defense. I see a successful next 4 yrs with BOB/DW4 but no championships.

mws

Rookie
This game is a perfect example of statistics vs. eyeball. Looking at the stats you would think this might have been a pretty close game.

Watson - 20 of 32 for 253 yards
Mahomes - 24 of 32, 211 yards

Passing Yards - Chiefs: 203 Texans: 242
Rushing Yards - Chiefs: 166 Texans: 118
Total Yards - Chiefs: 369 Texans: 360

Watching it however was like seeing somebody (Chiefs) club a baby seal (Texans).

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
PROFOOTBALLFOCUS STORY OF THE GAME

One of the biggest differences between Patrick Mahomes and Deshaun Watson was how things went when pressure became a factor. Watson was under pressure significantly more often, some of it from his own making, and when he was, it didn’t go well.

The Houston signal-caller averaged 3.14 seconds per dropback with the ball in his hands, almost a full second per play longer than Mahomes, and it led to him being pressured on 35% of his dropbacks compared to just 18.2% for Mahomes. Watson’s worst play was an ugly interception thrown up for grabs on a play where pressure came late and he had ample time to see the problem developing.

Last edited:

76Texan

Hall of Fame

One of the biggest differences between Patrick Mahomes and Deshaun Watson was how things went when pressure became a factor. Watson was under pressure significantly more often, some of it from his own making, and when he was, it didn’t go well.

The Houston signal-caller averaged 3.14 seconds per dropback with the ball in his hands, almost a full second per play longer than Mahomes, and it led to him being pressured on 35% of his dropbacks compared to just 18.2% for Mahomes. Watson’s worst play was an ugly interception thrown up for grabs on a play where pressure came late and he had ample time to see the problem developing.
Didn't you read the article I posted yesterday from the same outfit?

Watson faced an insurmountable amount of pressure against the Chiefs. He was under pressure on 45.5% of his straight-dropbacks, and it wasn't as if one single lineman was to blame — all five starters were equally responsible, as they each allowed multiple pressures.

Watson himself was charged with just one pressure. The issue was the sheer amount of quick pressure allowed by the offensive line. In total, Houston allowed six pressures in under 2 seconds and stumbled to just a 59.9 team pass-blocking grade for the game."

The previous writer was obviously bias since he didn't mention the two balls that Mahomes threw that should have been Interceptions.

Texansballer74

The Marine

Watson faced an insurmountable amount of pressure against the Chiefs. He was under pressure on 45.5% of his straight-dropbacks, and it wasn't as if one single lineman was to blame — all five starters were equally responsible, as they each allowed multiple pressures.

Watson himself was charged with just one pressure. The issue was the sheer amount of quick pressure allowed by the offensive line. In total, Houston allowed six pressures in under 2 seconds and stumbled to just a 59.9 team pass-blocking grade for the game."

The previous writer was obviously bias since he didn't mention the two balls that Mahomes threw that should have been Interceptions.

Crazy thing these people refuses to address this was all in the shotgun Formation. Just imagine if he was under center.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame

I read everything. Nice spin. I guess you discounted the grade PFF ultimately assigned to Watson...........a grade that is assigned to the QB's performance independent of outside factors. Watson's PFF grade of 71.9 was borderline QB backup performance.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

This is the lack of awareness I was talking about in the OL thread.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

More excuses.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
I read everything. Nice spin. I guess you discounted the grade PFF ultimately assigned to Watson...........a grade that is assigned to the QB's performance independent of outside factors. Watson's PFF grade of 71.9 was borderline QB backup performance.
I didn't spin anything. The two articles were written by two different persons from the same outfit.

QB grade, rating , etc. are all subjective.
How do you grade a QB facing 12 pressures a game (but only 1 was charged to him) vs. a QB facing only 6 (but 3 were charged to him)?

And all pressures are not the same.
Pass rushers are not the same.

I don't need a grade to tell me that Chris Jones and Clark are better pass rushers than any on the current Texans roster.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
I didn't spin anything. The two articles were written by two different persons from the same outfit.

How do you grade a QB facing 12 pressures a game (but only 1 was charged to him) vs. a QB facing only 6 (but 3 were charged to him)?

I don't need a grade to tell me that Chris Jones and Clark are better pass rushers than any on the current Texans roster.
PFF grades are not given out by 1 person. They are reviewed and assigned by a team. Per PFF:
WHO IS DOING THE GRADING? PFF employs over 600 full or part-time analysts, but less than 10% of analysts are trained to the level that they can grade plays. Only the top two to three percent of analysts are on the team of “senior analysts” in charge of finalizing each grade after review.
If you feel that your are more capable of grading players than a senior team at PFF, then that's fine. I can almost accept that. But let it be understood that you are 1 person also analyzing "subjectively."

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

The root of the problem is Clark/Jones weren't Texans worthy and the Texans weren't willing to trade for Dee Ford. Maybe RS was turned off by Jones junk falling out of his shorts at the combine and that made him not Texans worthy.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
At this point, I would stop engaging with one track posters. Nothing to gain. There are no winners here.
6 bad games and counting.

It is what it is.

This isn't about posters winning a debate. This is about the Texans org stupidly tying themselves up for 4 yrs at 160 mil and subjecting themselves to 4 more yrs of what we saw Thursday night against true playoff contenders.

This game is a perfect example of statistics vs. eyeball. Looking at the stats you would think this might have been a pretty close game.

Watson - 20 of 32 for 253 yards
Mahomes - 24 of 32, 211 yards

Passing Yards - Chiefs: 203 Texans: 242
Rushing Yards - Chiefs: 166 Texans: 118
Total Yards - Chiefs: 369 Texans: 360

Watching it however was like seeing somebody (Chiefs) club a baby seal (Texans).
Reid never piles it on unlike the Ravens. KC shut the office down up 31-7 choosing to explore their running game and see what works and what does not. No doubt KC could have put up 50 again. I think Obrien is an awful coach. Wasted Watsons rookie contract.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
PFF grades are not given out by 1 person. They are reviewed and assigned by a team. Per PFF:

If you feel that your are more capable of grading players than a senior team at PFF, then that's fine. I can almost accept that. But let it be understood that you are 1 person also analyzing "subjectively."
When PFF first came out, they were on here recruiting people to be graders.
I thought about but decided against it for the exact reason.
Humans are bias.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
6 bad games and counting.

It is what it is.

This isn't about posters winning a debate. This is about the Texans org stupidly tying themselves up for 4 yrs at 160 mil and subjecting themselves to 4 more yrs of what we saw Thursday night against true playoff contenders.
I do not like the contract either.
Remember, I don't prefer the dual-threat QB style of play for the long run.
I had stated that and re-iterated it.

If I was a HC and I need a QB, i would still have to go for Watson (once Mahomes came off the board.)
You can't wait forever.
But I would train Watson very hard to become a better pocket passer.

If he doesn't, I wouldn't agree with the upper value in a contract negotiation.
I would be up front with all parties involved, including the QB, his agent, the GM, and the owner.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
When PFF first came out, they were on here recruiting people to be graders.
I thought about but decided against it for the exact reason.
Humans are bias.
PFF grading has come a long way since it formally began player grading in 2006............it now is teamed with scouts, coaches and former players. BUT I'm going to give you the last word.........because otherwise this nonsense will have no end.