Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

TEXANS KICKOFF 2020 SEASON AGAINST THE CHIEFS

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Against who? The Dolphins? I did not see a single website that had the Texans as anything but underdogs. This defense is on pace to give up over 550 points this season. Hell, maybe even more. We need a complete defense overhaul!
Agreed

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
JB, did you really think I thought he "never" dropped a pass. Come on man, he had 8 catches for 111 and 2 TDs in that game. Do ya think we could have used him tonight? Did ya really not get the point I was making? Our quarterback lost his go to guy and he didn't have one tonight. We were sold a bill of goods that we'd actually be better without DHop. Somehow when you take away a guy that gets double and triple teamed it's supposed to open up your offense.
I was responding to your comment that he caught everything thrown his way. If you really think he would have made a difference tonight, you're delusional

xtruroyaltyx

Hall of Fame
I would no longer call myself a fan of this team but I like Watson. People pointing out every little mistake he makes and acting like he’s the problem are delusional.

I wanted Mahomes over him, but Watson isn’t some Scrub. No qb makes every read perfect. All of them miss things and make mistakes. They all go back and look at film and wish there were things they did differently.

Watson is a MUCH better qb than Matt Schaub could ever dream of being, but Schaub had great seasons here because he had a coach that actually knew wtf he was doing offensively. The offense wasn’t reliant on Schaub being perfect and making every read. The Scheme itself did a lot of the heavy lifting, but of course there were times when you needed a superstar play from Schaub and he couldn’t deliver and that was the disconnect.

The scheme is supposed to make it easier on all the players. You shouldn’t have to go out and spend so much capital to get top rated players just to be an average offense. OB is trying to buy his way into a good offense and that ain’t gonna work because he’s not good at any of his jobs.

He doesn’t develop players and he doesn’t take unheralded guys and make them better. That should tell you all you need to know. He can’t develop an OLine so he has to buy one. He can’t develop WRs so he spends high draft picks and trades for them. Can’t develop RBs so he trades his best we for one. Watson has not made any significant improvement in his game since he got here.

I use Kubiak as a reference but you can take any good offensive (or defensive) staff and it’s the same thing. They usually have quite a few guys that were under the radar and they take them and make them good players or even studs. Then they take great players and make them all world. Who exactly has gotten better here in all the years that OB has been here? Not many players. Good offensive staffs have a list of players they took and made better.

That alone should let you know what the problem is. If this clown cant develop OL and skill players he damn sure isn’t going to develop a QB.

Last edited:

amazing80

Hall of Fame
Seems we ran alot more screens than in the past...& they were successful.

apart from that, I’m not putting a whole lot into this game....we were set up to lose...

gotta take this game with a grain of salt. That was the best qb in the league we played today. A lot of things he was doing there’s probably like 1 other guy in the league who could do it..R E L A X.
There was nothing about this game that showed progress at any level of football. Losing and getting blown out are two different things. This is the same garbage we see every year under OB. Nothing changes. Make excuses all you want but this showing is exactly what one expects with OB at the helm. Unprepared and lethargic.

LikeMike

Veteran
I use Kubiak as a reference but you can take any good offensive (or defensive) staff and it’s the same thing.
Not disputing any of your points - but I find it funny that Kubiak is now the positive example of an offensive coach. When he was here people were really upset with him - he had scripted the first drive of every half, but after that his playcalling often was scrutinized. Especially because of his risk aversion and trying playing way too conservative. Not saying people back then were right - I also thought then they were exaggerating - but he wasnt an offensive mastermind here. And he was working with a top 5 defense for a lot of seasons as well, thanks to Wade.

Now BoB is responsible for how far we have regressed on D - and he might take more risks, but not always smart risks and otherwise is also pretty conservative. I am hoping Tim Kelly manages to get a little more creative and incorporate all WRs/TEs/HBs on the passing game...

Decim8

Veteran
There was nothing about this game that showed progress at any level of football. Losing and getting blown out are two different things. This is the same garbage we see every year under OB. Nothing changes. Make excuses all you want but this showing is exactly what one expects with OB at the helm. Unprepared and lethargic.
I didnt expect us to win, but i was hopeful for the bolded part. Same sh#t different year idonno:

Oh well let's see how they stack up against the ravens

LikeMike

Veteran
He’s always been a positive example of an offensive coach. Not sure How that’s even debatable. He’s one of the best offensive minds that has been in the nfl.
Look back a couple of years and read the forum. People wanted Kubiak gone for years. And we had great defenses during that time. People were slamming him for playing very conservative and for a lack of adjustments at half time. Didn't he give up playcalling for Kyle Shanahan and people were mad, when he was gone because they trusted Kyle and his creative plays way more than Kubiak? Again, I am not saying Kubiak wasn't a great offensive coach I am just saying a very local part of Texansfans were very upset with his offensive gameplans and playcalling week in and week out!

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
He’s always been a positive example of an offensive coach. Not sure How that’s even debatable. He’s one of the best offensive minds that has been in the nfl.
True, but he also was far too conservative. Yes they bought a LT and invested heavily in the ol. The lack of development is why I have been calling for Devlin to be fired. As far as DW4 goes, defenses have figured him out. He hasn't adjusted. Scheme has nothing to do with missing your checkdown to your RB 3rds away from you. (Atleast twice) Mahomes makes those plays in his sleep. The problem isn't with DW4 missing.reads, it's that he's consistently missing the same reads. The other problem is he just got signed to a 160 mil contract and for this BOB will eventually get fired. At what point is it on the player to adjust and improve his game? Coaching can only do so much.

You're the ol guru around these parts. Why despite all of the investment do you think the ol is still having issues?

With all of the new parts what did you expect the offense to look like with no preseason/TC?

Take comfort in the fact that the Chiefs/ Ravens are the 2 most talented teams the Texans will play this yr. Improvement will come with them have more playing time together. It does bother me that DW4 making the same mistakes and playing the same way as he did 2 yrs ago. He has an aversion to stepping up into the pocket and continuing to keep his eyes down field. His 1at instinct is when wide pressure comes is to try to scramble away from the pressure outside the hashes which is the exact wrong thing to do. How do you coach this out of a guy when that's what he's been doing his whole life I haven't a clue. I remember having some of these same discussions about Carr, all he needed was better coaching some posters used to say. LMAO. History is truly repeating itself.

This isn't absolving BoB because he sucked at his job tonight too and he's not the guy to bring a Lombardi to Houston.

Last edited:

ShinobiMusashi

Waterboy
I gave up on this game shortly after the Chiefs scored after halftime to go up 24-7, probably the first Texans game I've ever given up on. I'm just done staying up late and ******* up my next day to watch Bill O'Brien trash football. Also I'm not against Black Lives Matter or for it but I got a belly full of that bullshit last night watching the game if that is what this NFL season is going to be all about I'm out.

I called a 2-14 season after that playoff loss last year, this team definitely looked it last night.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Look back a couple of years and read the forum. People wanted Kubiak gone for years. And we had great defenses during that time. People were slamming him for playing very conservative and for a lack of adjustments at half time. Didn't he give up playcalling for Kyle Shanahan and people were mad, when he was gone because they trusted Kyle and his creative plays way more than Kubiak? Again, I am not saying Kubiak wasn't a great offensive coach I am just saying a very local part of Texansfans were very upset with his offensive gameplans and playcalling week in and week out!
Lots of people were impatient and did not understand that the nature of the WCO and the ZBS is like that.

Look at what Kubiak inherited on offense and defense.
Chester Pitts was the only one of use.

Despite the lack of talent on offense, Kubiak allowed for heavy investment on the defensive side throughout his tenure, both in the draft and free agency.
You just have to notice the late round and UDFA players that Kubiak were able to develop on the offense side to know the story.

Even with all that investment, Wade's defense was wildly inconsistent year to year.
The defense was supposed to be the strength of the team.

The Texans were supposed to win like the last two years of Elway's career and Manning's last one.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
And those fans were wrong about Kubiak being too conservative.

Shananhan's Niners ran the ball twenty times more than they passed the ball last year.

Kubiak's team always pass the ball more, sometimes up to 50% more (see 2013).

HuttoKarl

Veteran
And replaced him with three bench WRs
Yeah...great plan there, Billdo. The new WR's must have thought the game was Saturday because they didn't show up for ****.

And yeah...David Johnson had a good game. I'm not thinking that Carlos Hyde couldn't have had a good game without costing draft picks and DeAndre Hopkins. Also...can David Johnson suit up and try to stop the run on defense?

God this team gives me reflux.

Norg

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
i was hoping to see more of the Johnson bros on the field having both RBs on the field at the same time

lets be honest that might be 80% of our offensive this year the Johnson bros

but duke was never there i wonder why saving it ????

Texansballer74

The Marine
Yeah, we know, but it was the TE on that play that allowed (I think) Mathieu to come in.

Watson still played a poor game though.
Watson didn’t play a poor game. Can’t perform when your right guard is getting beat like a drum and the offensive line looks like skit. Can’t perform when your receivers can’t get open or schemed open. On two of the Chiefs touchdowns they were beautiful designed rub routes. Where the F is our rub routes?

Last edited:

theCATALYST

Football Messiah
Fantastic game. This is going to be a good season. Dare I say AFCCG?
Watson is looking sharp. His decision making is on point. Release is quick.
Johnson&Johnson seem to be a formidable duo. David looks like he is going to be a great pick up with potential to match his past successes.
Offensive line has taken a step forward from last year. They looked solid tonight, providing ages of time for Watson to operate.
Our TE's and Receivers. WOW! I mean really...WOW! Speed and hands. All of them. Who's going to get the double without someone else getting the homerun!! Hopkins who??
Do we really even need to talk defense? My goodness. O'Brien knew what he was doing when he traded Clowney. And just like expected, losing Reader made little to no impact on our ability to stop the run at all. In fact, I think we improved. Our entire defense improved.

3 new coordinators. And all 3 where lights out amazing in their play calling. Sky is the limit with this bunch and I am so excited.
I am most proud of Bill O'Brien, the coach, the general manager, the brains behind the operation. Even with this well oiled juggernaut of a machine he placed on the field today, he still had the capacity for empathy and kindness by allowing the lowly Chiefs to win their season opener in their own stadium. Knowing how COVID19 has affected us all, that was a very humble gift to bestow upon Chiefs nation. Thank you Bill.

And thank you Houston Texans! Football is back in HOUSTON!!!

:kitten:

Earl34

Hall of Fame
Watson did play a poor game. Can’t perform when your right guard is getting beat like a drum and the offensive line looks like skit. Can’t perform when your receivers can’t get open or schemed open. On two of the Chiefs touchdowns they were beautiful designed run routes. Where the F is our run routes?
The Texans did a better job executing screens last night. But besides the screens and the first TD drive, can anyone look at the play calling or WR routes and thought we are watching two high powered offenses?

Also, with a rookie CB playing and getting safety help over the top, not one of the Texans WRs was able to win that matchup. They kept running go routes on a rainy night into Cover2. They were simply outplayed and out coached.

Texansballer74

The Marine
The Texans did a better job executing screens last night. But besides the screens and the first TD drive, can anyone look at the play calling or WR routes and thought we are watching two high powered offenses?

Also, with a rookie CB playing and getting safety help over the top, not one of the Texans WRs was able to win that matchup. They kept running go routes on a rainy night into Cover2. They were simply outplayed and out coached.
I meant rub routes. Pat didn’t do anything special. The creativity and lack of true pressure allowed him to make very easy throws and reads. Now they looked to have a running game with a legit runningback.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Watson didn’t play a poor game. Can’t perform when your right guard is getting beat like a drum and the offensive line looks like skit. Can’t perform when your receivers can’t get open or schemed open. On two of the Chiefs touchdowns they were beautiful designed rub routes. Where the F is our rub routes?
Too bad.
With that new contract, Watson needs to play closer to Superman.
He did fail to see a few open men that I recalled seeing.

That said, the scheme itself was never going to be good enough against top competition.
The D doesn't have enough talents and the O is usually dragged down by OB's ineptness.

LikeMike

Veteran
And those fans were wrong about Kubiak being too conservative.

Shananhan's Niners ran the ball twenty times more than they passed the ball last year.

Kubiak's team always pass the ball more, sometimes up to 50% more (see 2013).
Yeah I agree - I would have wanted Kubiak to be a little more aggressive sometimes, but overall I was fine with him. His team was missing a QB that could deliver in crunch time. Schaub was never that - he was an above avergae QB that couldn't elevate his game when it mattered the most.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Yeah...great plan there, Billdo. The new WR's must have thought the game was Saturday because they didn't show up for ****.

And yeah...David Johnson had a good game. I'm not thinking that Carlos Hyde couldn't have had a good game without costing draft picks and DeAndre Hopkins. Also...can David Johnson suit up and try to stop the run on defense?

God this team gives me reflux.
IMHO, any RB playing with Watson will look better because the defense always key on him (the QB).
Just the fact that the D play more dime and nickel is enough for a RB to have an easier time with the ball.

PapaL

Loose Screw
Fantastic game. This is going to be a good season. Dare I say AFCCG?
Watson is looking sharp. His decision making is on point. Release is quick.
Johnson&Johnson seem to be a formidable duo. David looks like he is going to be a great pick up with potential to match his past successes.
Offensive line has taken a step forward from last year. They looked solid tonight, providing ages of time for Watson to operate.
Our TE's and Receivers. WOW! I mean really...WOW! Speed and hands. All of them. Who's going to get the double without someone else getting the homerun!! Hopkins who??
Do we really even need to talk defense? My goodness. O'Brien knew what he was doing when he traded Clowney. And just like expected, losing Reader made little to no impact on our ability to stop the run at all. In fact, I think we improved. Our entire defense improved.

3 new coordinators. And all 3 where lights out amazing in their play calling. Sky is the limit with this bunch and I am so excited.
I am most proud of Bill O'Brien, the coach, the general manager, the brains behind the operation. Even with this well oiled juggernaut of a machine he placed on the field today, he still had the capacity for empathy and kindness by allowing the lowly Chiefs to win their season opener in their own stadium. Knowing how COVID19 has affected us all, that was a very humble gift to bestow upon Chiefs nation. Thank you Bill.

And thank you Houston Texans! Football is back in HOUSTON!!!

:kitten:
Wake and bake are great

Texansballer74

The Marine
Too bad.
With that new contract, Watson needs to play closer to Superman.
He did fail to see a few open men that I recalled seeing.

That said, the scheme itself was never going to be good enough against top competition.
The D doesn't have enough talents and the O is usually dragged down by OB's ineptness.
You can’t expect any player to perform like Superman when your offensive line still can’t block or receivers who are speed demons can’t get open. Andy Reid scheme made it that much easier for Patrick. Go on that all 22 and look at the play designs on those touchdown passes in the red zone for the Chiefs. With all of that traffic in a small window space, that design made it easy pickings. That drag route by Hill in the red zone lol was easy pickings. That’s how you utilize your speed in tight quarters. We didn’t utilize none of our speed receivers like that. No crossing routes, no rub routes just no creativity at all.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
You can’t expect any player to perform like Superman when your offensive line still can’t block or receivers who are speed demons can’t get open. Andy Reid scheme made it that much easier for Patrick. Go on that all 22 and look at the play designs on those touchdown passes in the red zone for the Chiefs. With all of that traffic in a small window space, that design made it easy pickings. That drag route by Hill in the red zone lol was easy pickings. That’s how you utilize your speed in tight quarters. We didn’t utilize none of our speed receivers like that. No crossing routes, no rub routes just no creativity at all.
I'm just trying to save steelb some keystrokes.

Going to study the game now.

TexansSeminole

Hall of Fame
This is what I am thinking this morning regarding last night.

Offense is always going to be behind a bit with lack of snaps. I think you are going to find that alot of offenses this weekend are going to be sluggish. David Johnson looked like the best back we’ve had since Foster, so I will be very interested to see if he can stay healthy. Our run game is going to be quite good it seems to me and we will be able to control games with it once we get our passing game better in sync. Our #1 receiver was not 100% and seemed to me to not play much of the second half of the game. I think they are going to get this offense to be pretty good this year, but it’s going to require Cooks to be there. His ability to get separation and keep the chains moving is going to be key for this offense.

The defense looks really bad in the secondary. I just don’t know what they expected with these CBs. Roby is an average starter and he’s far and away the best CB on the team. Looking at our salary cap situation for next year, we are going to have to choose between re-signing Fuller and signing another corner. This is a convo for another time, but the cap situation next year for the Texans is going to be very tight.

Having said all that, this was the Chiefs who IMO are the best team in football, maybe since that Pats team that almost went undefeated. I don’t know that there is a team, especially in the AFC, that is going to be favored against them in any game this year.

banned1976

sleeper mode
The Good:
David Johnson rushed 11 times for 77 yards (7.0 average)
No major injuries to report from the Texans, at least as far as I know.

The Bad:
Everything else.

Yes, it's going to be appear (right or wrong) Watson receives a lot of criticism from fans this year. It goes with the territory of being paid as much as he is. Hard-core Watson fans are just going to have to get used to it.

TexansSeminole

Hall of Fame
A lot of us liked Kubiak but felt he picked the wrong GM in Rick Smith as you remember. I was firmly in that camp and felt that if we had a GM that was better at building a team, we would have really had something. Too many of those years we would go in with a huge gaping wound in 1-2 position groups that always prevented us from going all the way.

In a lot of ways, BOB has been no better at building the team from a GM standpoint. I would want him replaced for his job in this department alone, not to mention his coaching leaves a lot to be desired. The Cobb signing is probably the most overpaid signing I have seen from this team and we’ve had some really bad ones, particularly along the OL. This team is now riddled with overpaid contracts for players who are poor at their position in comparison to average starters on other teams.

Texansballer74

The Marine
This is what I am thinking this morning regarding last night.

Offense is always going to be behind a bit with lack of snaps. I think you are going to find that alot of offenses this weekend are going to be sluggish. David Johnson looked like the best back we’ve had since Foster, so I will be very interested to see if he can stay healthy. Our run game is going to be quite good it seems to me and we will be able to control games with it once we get our passing game better in sync. Our #1 receiver was not 100% and seemed to me to not play much of the second half of the game. I think they are going to get this offense to be pretty good this year, but it’s going to require Cooks to be there. His ability to get separation and keep the chains moving is going to be key for this offense.

The defense looks really bad in the secondary. I just don’t know what they expected with these CBs. Roby is an average starter and he’s far and away the best CB on the team. Looking at our salary cap situation for next year, we are going to have to choose between re-signing Fuller and signing another corner. This is a convo for another time, but the cap situation next year for the Texans is going to be very tight.

Having said all that, this was the Chiefs who IMO are the best team in football, maybe since that Pats team that almost went undefeated. I don’t know that there is a team, especially in the AFC, that is going to be favored against them in any game this year.
Our number one receiver is Fuller and he had 100+ yards. Everything else I agree with.

ColeThornton

Waterboy
He didn't last time they met
"I was responding to your comment" that he wouldn't have made a difference. If he had been there the team would have been "different". You see what happens when you take things too literal on a message board?
...probably not.