Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans home underdog vs. lowly Jags. Mod note (current underdogs all 17 games 5/18/21)

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
And finally, it should be evident that he has a sound plan and direction that would be implemented.
Evident? The only the only thing evident to me is that the same clowns (plus Caserio) that put the organization in this position made a unprecedented hire. Not sure how anyone can spin positive out of that. Other than a broken clock is right twice a day.

Dejaview

All Pro
Evident? The only the only thing evident to me is that the same clowns (plus Caserio) that put the organization in this position made a unprecedented hire. Not sure how anyone can spin positive out of that. Other than a broken clock is right twice a day.
Why is it “evident” that this is a bad hire? To make a statement like this you must KNOW. Do you know? What is your evidence? Tell us. I want to know.

Number19

Hall of Fame
Are you? What the blank does that mean? Are you wearing underwear right now?
You obviously have a problem with comprehension. My post was clearly referencing the Texans' management team because I said so in the following sentence. So why would the Texans hire a coach if they all were not on the same page as to the direction the team would be taking?

My second post was simply a jab at you.

So let me more precisely state, it was evidently clear TO THE TEXANS' MANAGEMENT that Culley had a sound plan and direction for the team.

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
I figure the Texans will win a game or two in 2021 because after all it's pretty difficult for an NFL team to go an entire year without winning any games, especially now that they will be playing one more game in the RS. Winless NFL seasons do happen but not very often.
Defending SB champs expect to get every opponents best effort while a team at the other end of the spectrum like the Texans will probably get one of each opponents weakest efforts during the season.

that Culley had a sound plan and direction for the team.
No they just hired him to be a scapegoat for a team that has no chance of winning. At least that is the belief of many Texans fans. I don't see it that way. I wonder what Jeff Harbaugh had in mind when he made such a loser his assistant head coach.

banned1976

sleeper mode
No they just hired him to be a scapegoat for a team that has no chance of winning. At least that is the belief of many Texans fans. I don't see it that way. I wonder what Jeff Harbaugh had in mind when he made such a loser his assistant head coach.
Did someone call Culley a loser? I certainly don't think he's a loser. I look at his resume, he's moved around a lot. A majority of his coaching in the NFL has been as a receivers coach. He is a 65 year old rookie head coach. My expectations for him are low because I feel that if he was good enough to be a head coach in the NFL it would have happened before now. That doesn't mean I don't like him, I do. He seems like a genuinely likeably person. Not a loser. Just maybe not up to this very tall task. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Did someone call Culley a loser? I certainly don't think he's a loser. I look at his resume, he's moved around a lot. A majority of his coaching in the NFL has been as a receivers coach. He is a 65 year old rookie head coach. My expectations for him are low because I feel that if he was good enough to be a head coach in the NFL it would have happened before now. That doesn't mean I don't like him, I do. He seems like a genuinely likeable person. Not a loser. Just maybe not up to this very tall task. Hopefully I'm wrong.
Some on here do not show the reasoning you do. DC did manage to be the assistant head coach in Baltimore last season so John Harbaugh had to have had some cofidence in him if he were to have to turn to him for some reason.

I do also wonder why it took so long for DC to get a head coaching job. However I don't think he was hired simply to be the place holder for the next head coach in a couple of years. I don't know. It seems that way but I think NC chose him because he thinks he can do a good job. NC does not strike me as the kind to kick the can down the road. He expects to win and win as soon as possible. Maybe as soon as this season, as unlikely as it appears. I do not look at DC in terms of wins and losses this season. I look for good decision making and I look for effort from our team. If they play their asses off and lose I can handle that but what I can't handle is when the team suffers some adversity they give up or give a half assed effort. Even the lowest paid players get paid enough to where a lack of effort is inexcusable.

Last edited:

Number19

Hall of Fame
Scapegoat? Loser? I agree with your statement when you say you "don't see it that way".

My original statement was based on a belief that sound business practices and sound football decisions were being made.

Since then I've read the argument that his hiring was one of racism and that Cal had directed the hiring be a minority.

Given the political and social environment and the politicalization of the NFL, I find this plausible, and maybe more probable than my original thoughts.

Still, I think he's qualified for the position and I like the football acumen (Andy Reid offensive scheme) he brings to the team.

Scapegoat? Loser? I agree with your statement when you say you "don't see it that way".
You made your points well and I have no arguments against them.

Not referring to you specifically just pointing to the nature of some posters when you yourself do not fit them.

Last edited:

Texian

Hall of Fame
Did someone call Culley a loser? I certainly don't think he's a loser. I look at his resume, he's moved around a lot. A majority of his coaching in the NFL has been as a receivers coach. He is a 65 year old rookie head coach. My expectations for him are low because I feel that if he was good enough to be a head coach in the NFL it would have happened before now. That doesn't mean I don't like him, I do. He seems like a genuinely likeably person. Not a loser. Just maybe not up to this very tall task. Hopefully I'm wrong.
Culley is a nice guy and a good human being. He is also one of the worst choices a person could make to hire him as a head coach. That is not Culley's fault. He's the recipient of a handsome reward because of someone else's stupidity. Good for David Culley.

Last edited:

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
If Culley decides to focus on the job of HC and let his Coordinator’s do their jobs….Culley just might be ok this season. If he decides that he’s OB and wants full control as well as micro-managing his coordinator’s then he will run into problems just like OB did. The good, I don’t see Culley operating like this especially at this point in his coaching career.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
If Culley decides to focus on the job of HC and let his Coordinator’s do their jobs….Culley just might be ok this season. If he decides that he’s OB and wants full control as well as micro-managing his coordinator’s then he will run into problems just like OB did. The good, I don’t see Culley operating like this especially at this point in his coaching career.
I don't see Culley meddling. I don't know if it would make a hill of beans difference if he did, though.

Texansballer74

The Marine

In one of his pressers he said, “ he will let his coaches coach”.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Could it be, irrespective of the Texans situation, the lowly Jags aren’t so lowly anymore? Just food for thought.
Could be. But they’ve been in this situation before. & it’s yet to turn out well for them. Maybe it’s their time.

But I doubt it.