Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans GM Interviews...

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
He certainly has enjoyed 20 years of comfort in the Texans FO. His bio on the website is littered with things he’s accomplished as the Texans President.

During that time I’m sure he and his staff which are loyal to him didn’t have to worry about having the ear of the boss and were BoB McNair’s “handlers”.

But it ain’t no fun when the rabbit got the gun and Now that Cal has ascended, they’ve found it more difficult to handle him in the same way they handled dad....& they blame Easterby for that...when it’s really just Cal making his own decisions, whether they’re right or wrong.

Easterby might just be the guy encouraging Cal to make the decisions HE wants to make rather than how they were made in the past under his dad which was the boardroom corporate consensus type.

Last edited:

Texian

Hall of Fame
The “reports” say he tried to resign because he’s not happy about the direction the club is heading.

if he’s gone soon, we’llknow there was some truth to the “reports”
If Rootes is out this a confirmation for me that Kirby Dr. and Reliant Stadium are well on their way to becoming a version of Scott Pioli's gestapo and gulag in KC. Cal is already talking about building a wall around the compound.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
If Rootes is out this a confirmation for me that Kirby Dr. and Reliant Stadium are well on their way to becoming a version of Scott Pioli's gestapo and gulag in KC. Cal is already talking about building a wall around the compound.
For so long fans have complained about how the Texans have operated more like a marketing co. than a football team. Rootes has been at the heart of that and he has certainly had his time to change that image; he has neglected to do so.

So my question to you is Would it be so bad if Rootes left?

Texian

Hall of Fame
For so long fans have complained about how the Texans have operated more like a marketing co. than a football team. Rootes has been at the heart of that and he has certainly had his time to change that image; he has neglected to do so.

Depends on how he leaves? Many argue that Texans are one of the most successful sports franchises. Rootes has been President of that and helped build that. My understanding is Rootes is not happy with new direction of the company and moving away from the the one thing that has been a true real success for the Texans. I'm of the opinion an NFL franchise can be both a successful marketing company and a successful football team. To answer your question, if the Texans are becoming KC Pioli 2.0 and Rootes is leaving because of that, then it is a bad thing.

Last edited:

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Depends on how he leaves? Many argue that Texans are one of the most successful sports franchises. Rootes has been President of that and helped build that. My understanding is Rootes is not happy with new direction of the company and moving away from the the one thing that has been a success for the Texans. I'm of the opinion an NFL franchise can be both a successful marketing company and a successful football team.
Successful in whose eyes though? Certainly not in the fans’ which is who you should be trying to curry favor with.....not the Forbes magazine.

The Texans are my team b/c I love football and they are my home team, not b/c of anything Rootes and his team of Marketers have done to reel me in. Further, winning cures all ills and if these moves have the team winning more, the marketing becomes easy at that point. Hell they could probably reel in a couple of thousand more fans just by changing that “football time in Houston” song they play in the stadium and making a REAL change to the uniforms, not that **** they did last year.

Last edited:

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
Successful in whose eyes though? Certainly not in the fans’ which is who you should be trying to curry favor with.....not the Forbes magazine.
Why? Fans keep putting their money down which is what makes you successful in Forbes’s eyes. Less than 20 years old and already valued greater than decades old teams. Yeah sorry but I have to call that successful.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Many argue that Texans are one of the most successful sports franchises.
Name one.
Why? Fans keep putting their money down which is what makes you successful in Forbes’s eyes. Less than 20 years old and already valued greater than decades old teams. Yeah sorry but I have to call that successful.
They are more successful than smaller markets. Not as successful as larger or equal markets. What would that tell you?

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
I’m not arguing that they’re NOT successful. But in the eyes of fans not just here in Houston but elsewhere, the Texans are an after thought..b/c they don’t WIN and haven’t done enough of winning in their 20 years of existence.

At this point in the game for them they have way more embarrassing moments on the field than successful ones in most fans’ eyes.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
Name one.

They are more successful than smaller markets. Not as successful as larger or equal markets. What would that tell you?

Considering Houston is the 4th largest city it number of equal or larger markets is small. That said they beat out Detroit, Miami, Pittsburg and Baltimore. On this list they are number 10 and with a real team could jump 6-9 fairly quickly. They will never touch Dallas, NE or NYG but again not bad for a team less than 20 years old and never gotten past a divisional game.

Texian

Hall of Fame
$ = Successful; W and Ls not so much. One thing that has been consistent with the McNair Ownership, fans can count on with some high degree of regularity, a BIG bite of a crap sandwich. No reason for that to change. In fact with Cal now in charge you can expect a bigger bite of that crap sandwich on a much more frequent basis.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
So that should tell you that market size is the first criteria for franchise value. If the Texans had a smaller market, they would be worth less. The Texans organization has done nothing special to enhance the value.
Agreed but giving that they haven’t come close to the success of even other Houston teams like the Astros and a Rockets in terms of success it’s still impressive how much they have insured Houston is a football city.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Depends on how he leaves? Many argue that Texans are one of the most successful sports franchises. Rootes has been President of that and helped build that. My understanding is Rootes is not happy with new direction of the company and moving away from the the one thing that has been a true real success for the Texans. I'm of the opinion an NFL franchise can be both a successful marketing company and a successful football team. To answer your question, if the Texans are becoming KC Pioli 2.0 and Rootes is leaving because of that, then it is a bad thing.
Doubtful Rootes is going anywhere.

At this point he has a gravy job.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
$ = Successful; W and Ls not so much. One thing that has been consistent with the McNair Ownership, fans can count on with some high degree of regularity, a BIG bite of a crap sandwich. No reason for that to change. In fact with Cal now in charge you can expect a bigger bite of that crap sandwich on a much more frequent basis.
And Cal might be trying to change this dynamic. As I said winning cures all ills and if the hiring of Caserio and the next HC leads to more success ON the field, the success off of it in terms of $ won’t be too far behind.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

A friend of Rootes told me he's a great guy.

Of course the guy that told me that is a narcissistic prick who would fvck his family out of every dollar he could if they would let him.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Agreed but giving that they haven’t come close to the success of even other Houston teams like the Astros and a Rockets in terms of success it’s still impressive how much they have insured Houston is a football city.
Franchise values in general just go up period and you don’t have to win for that to happen. Fertita bought the Rockets for 2.2 billion and they are 25 years removed from a championship and hadn’t really done anything since except draft a 7’6 Chinese man that gave them access to a huge market overseas.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
A friend of Rootes told me he's a great guy.

Of course the guy that told me that is a narcissistic prick who would fvck his family out of every dollar he could if they would let him.
Rootes has a background as a GM, albeit for a soccer team I believe. BoB McNair probably leaned on him a lot in terms of how to go about doing certain things and picking football personnel. Cal on the other hand may not be interested in Rootes’ experience in this regard and Rootes feels some type of way about that.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
So that should tell you that market size is the first criteria for franchise value. If the Texans had a smaller market, they would be worth less. The Texans organization has done nothing special to enhance the value.
Houston is and always has been a football town

The McNair's have greatly profited off of that love. The smartest thing Bob McNair did was not only allow tailgaiting but turn the Houston Texans tailgating experience into an almost college gameday experience. Unlike Bud who thought no tailgaiting meant fans would spend more on concessions.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
Houston is and always has been a football town

The McNair's have greatly profited off of that love. The smartest thing Bob McNair did was not only allow tailgaiting but turn the Houston Texans tailgating experience into an almost college gameday experience. Unlike Bud who thought no tailgaiting meant fans would spend more on concessions.
McNair understood football fans if nothing else. He knew that you would make more off of a 200 dollar jersey than a 20 dollar hotdog and it was money straight in his pocket.

On top of that even if they do tailgate they are still going to buy beer in the stands and if they’ve already had a few before coming in then they are likely to spend to have a few more. A drunk fan is a spending fan so take the fastest route to getting them drunk as you can.

Texian

Hall of Fame
And Cal might be trying to change this dynamic.
Hoping and Wishful Thinking at best. Cal has shown one thing, he has the propensity to make things worse. When Patriots South 5.0 completely blows up, what does Cal do then?

Mr. White

Retired OLine Coach
Report: Texans were poised to hire Omar Khan as G.M.

Posted by Mike Florio on January 10, 2021, 1:44 PM EST

A year after the Texans were making headlines during the first week of the playoffs because they were, you know, playing, they’re making even more headlines this year by, you know, not playing.
The hiring of Nick Caserio to be the team’s new General Manager lit the fuse on a cherry bomb of dysfunction for the Texans, reinforcing the perception/reality that executive V.P. of football operations Jack Easterby is Littlefinger (if you’re a GOT fan) or Gríma Wormtongue (if LOTR is your bag).

The Texans paid Korn Ferry somewhere between $100,000 and $1 million (word is that it was $600,000) to line up finalists for the job. Mike Garafolo of NFL Media reported that the five selected by Korn Ferry were Texans director of player personnel Matt Bazirgan, Seahawks V.P. of player personnel Trent Kirchner, Steelers V.P. of football and business administration Omar Khan, Louis Riddick, and Ravens director of football research Scott Cohen.

Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that Khan would have gotten the job, if the Texans hadn’t unexpectedly gone off the board to hire Caserio. (Schefter also mentions that his ESPN colleague Louis Riddick was the next choice after Khan, possibly for internal peacekeeping purposes.)

Schefter adds that “multiple people” within the organization, including quarterback Deshaun Watson, were upset by the decision to ignore Korn Ferry’s work and to hire Caserio. Team president Jamey Rootes, though not mentioned by name in Schefter’s story, also is believed to be extremely upset that the work done by Korn Ferry, with Rootes’ involvement, was thrown overboard. Some believe that it’s just a matter of time before Rootes leaves the Texans; at least one person believes that Rootes already has tried to resign, but that Rootes was persuaded to wait in order to avoid further reinforcement of the perception/reality of disarray within the franchise.

THE REST OF THE STORY
This really pisses me off. Khan made the most sense as a hire. His analytics knowledge would help offset the missing draft picks (IMO) and he would provide the culture change that our star athlete is asking for.

This is probably the 2nd dumbest move in the history of the franchise....Assterby's fingerprints all over it. AGAIN

Not only is it bad business to rescind a job offer during negotiations, but it's another shining example of how stupid Tommy Boy actually is.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
This really pisses me off. Khan made the most sense as a hire. His analytics knowledge would help offset the missing draft picks (IMO) and he would provide the culture change that our star athlete is asking for.

This is probably the 2nd dumbest move in the history of the franchise....Assterby's fingerprints all over it. AGAIN

Not only is it bad business to rescind a job offer during negotiations, but it's another shining example of how stupid Tommy Boy actually is.

I gotta disagree here .... Caserio's resume far exceeds that of Omar Khan and any of the others that they were considering.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I gotta disagree here .... Caserio's resume far exceeds that of Omar Khan and any of the others that they were considering.
Quoted for truth

Mr. White apparently is a Pats hater.

I would love to see Caserio's resume compared to Khan's. I'm pretty sure their resumes speak loudly for themselves.

otisbean

Veteran
Contributor's Club
After the past week or two I think the absolute best move Cal could do for the team and himself is hire a president of football operations. Someone that oversees everything to do with the actual football side, keep Roots as president of business operations. Cal could just sit back and enjoy being an owner. He wouldn’t have to do interviews, which he isn’t good at, and this would limit his opportunity to make mistakes, which are piling up. I nominate either Ozzie Newsome or Tony Dungy. They both have proven track record of success

Mr. White

Retired OLine Coach
My thing is I'm a believer in analytics so I prefer Khan. I think that's the best way to deal with limited cap space. Caserio sounds like a really good football guy. I'm just not sure how well the "Patriots Way" is going to play here anymore.
Mr. White apparently is a Pats hater.
Isn't everybody?

I'm really just a guy that's pretty tired of the Patriots Way. It's looking pretty obvious that it was really the "Brady Way" and I'm not seeing him interviewing for GM positions.
I would love to see Caserio's resume compared to Khan's. I'm pretty sure their resumes speak loudly for themselves.
Closer than you think. Khan started working in the NFL in 1997 in the Saints Front Office. Caserio started in the NE Front Office in 2001. The real difference is that NC has coaching and scouting experience.

amazing80

Hall of Fame
That is VERY debatable. Khan has been around for more years and has held more front office roles including for two different franchises. He has been through regime changes, something Caserio has not been through.

I am not trying to tear down Caserio, because he does have a solid resume, but Khan is equal to him in those regards.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
That is VERY debatable. Khan has been around for more years and has held more front office roles including for two different franchises. He has been through regime changes, something Caserio has not been through.

I am not trying to tear down Caserio, because he does have a solid resume, but Khan is equal to him in those regards.
I’d prefer my GM have a good balance between the football side and the FO side. Even RS had this as he started out as a scout in Denver. I have not seen Khan’s resume, but from your description, it sounds like he’s more of a corporate board room guy and rarely if ever touched on the football side. “Football operations” is vague and can mean anything from helping to pack up players equipment for road games to high level things like logistics. Further, the disconnect between the FO and players is what DW4 is bitching about RIGHT NOW. And if what I’m asserting about Khan is the case, no wonder why Rootes was so eager to offer him the gig; he’s Rootes type of guy for the marketing team and it also explains why he was probably pissed when Cal pivoted away from him.

Caserio seems to have a good balance of both working directly with the players on the football side and the FO side and is the much better hire imo.

Last edited:

amazing80

Hall of Fame
I’d prefer my GM have a good balance between the football side and the FO side. Even RS had this as he started out as a scout in Denver. I have not seen Khan’s resume, but from your description, it sounds like he’s more of a corporate board room guy and rarely if ever touched on the football side. This disconnect is what DW4 is bitching about RIGHT NOW. And if what I’m asserting about Khan is the case, no wonder why Rootes was so eager to offer him the gig; he’s Rootes type of guy for the marketing team and it also explains why he was probably pissed when Cal pivoted away from him.

Caserio seems to have a good balance of both and is the much better hire imo.
He has worked as a scout, football operations coordinator and player personnel, director of football operations, vice president of business and football operations. His resume is one of the best.

Again, he has been through 2 winning head coaches, he has been apart of that transition, something Caserio never has. Khan's resume is as impressive as anybodys.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I'm really just a guy that's pretty tired of the Patriots Way. It's looking pretty obvious that it was really the "Brady Way" and I'm not seeing him interviewing for GM positions.
I would agree insomuch as it was building around Tom Brady. Whether we’re talking about the Patriots, Steelers, or 49ers, isn’t that the case?

So to me, the question is do I think Caserio can build around Watson to deliver a Championship?

Coach & all. I think he can judging by the way they did things in New England. The way they worked the draft, FA, roster, contracts.

I’m not saying Khan couldn’t, I just feel more comfortable with Caserio.

amazing80

Hall of Fame
I would agree insomuch as it was building around Tom Brady. Whether we’re talking about the Patriots, Steelers, or 49ers, isn’t that the case?

So to me, the question is do I think Caserio can build around Watson to deliver a Championship?

Coach & all. I think he can judging by the way they did things in New England. The way they worked the draft, FA, roster, contracts.

Why? Caserio was surrounded by one coach and one QB his entire time there.

Khan has been through multiple coaches, qbs, rbs, defenses, coaching changes on the staff etc. He has been through more football adversity than Caserio ever has.

Does it mean he is automatically going to succeed? No, but it certainly is a phenomenal resume and shouldn't be dismissed.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
He has worked as a scout, football operations coordinator and player personnel, director of football operations, vice president of business and football operations. His resume is one of the best.

Again, he has been through 2 winning head coaches, he has been apart of that transition, something Caserio never has. Khan's resume is as impressive as anybodys.
I only see that he worked as a scouting INTERN for NO.....not as a scout on his own.

regardless, I still don’t necessarily believe b/c he’s been thru several regime changes that is a plus for him. It was still with the same organization and we know the buck stopped with Rooney...stable organizations tend to keep the same people around and Caserio worked within a stable organization..... the same as Khan did. You can’t penalize Caserio for that and tout it as a plus for Khan.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

Nobody is going to be able to build a championship team around DW4 for the reasons I have stated many times.

amazing80

Hall of Fame
I only see that he worked as a scouting INTERN for NO.....not as a scout on his own.

regardless, I still don’t necessarily believe b/c he’s been thru several regime changes that is a plus for him. It was still with the same organization and we know the buck stopped with Rooney...stable organizations tend to keep the same people around and Caserio worked within a stable organization..... the same as Khan did. You can’t penalize Caserio for that and tout it as a plus for Khan.
Just because the owner is the same doesn't mean the team is run the same on a day to day basis. Having new leaders in charge changes the dynamic, and Khan was part of creating the new change when they went to Tomlin.

I am not "knocking" Caserio as much as I am speaking up about Khan, who some are seemingly dismissing for no reason.

amazing80

Hall of Fame
Khan was my guy but ok with NC. I think NC will find more talent in UDFA and lower rounds, while Khan looked really good on overall team makeup and cap savvy/negotiations. Let's all agree they are both two huge upgrades and given time I think either would make a good impact
Khan was one of my favorites as well, but I am "ok" with NC. I am cautiously optimistic about him.

The head coach hire needs to be right.