Thanks for your support!

Texans don’t plan to hire a G.M. in 2020

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club

Texans don’t plan to hire a G.M. in 2020
Posted by Mike Florio on December 1, 2019, 10:13 AM EST

The rise of Jack Easterby continues.
Not long ago the Chiefs’ team chaplain, Easterby has climbed the stairway to the upper reaches of an NFL operation, parlaying his spot in the Texans’ supposed single-year plan to proceed without a G.M. into an indefinite gig as the team’s de facto G.M.

Ian Rapoport of the NFL reports that the Texans currently don’t plan to hire a General Manager in 2020, a reversal of their presumed prior intent to bide their time and to hire Nick Caserio away from the Patriots.
The reasons aren’t clear, especially since the team interviewed G.M. candidates before deciding to apparently wait for Caserio. The simplest explanation is that owner Cal McNair looks at the standings, sees that the team is 7-4, and believes that if it ain’t broke, don’t break it.
That’s good news for coach Bill O’Brien (who is essentially running the show) and for Easterby (who is essentially riding sidecar to O’Brien). But here’s the reality: The Texans are 7-4 largely because of the presence of quarterback Deshaun Watson, who truly is good enough to cover up plenty of other deficiencies on the roster.
So they’re winning with the current structure. The question becomes whether they’ll win as much as they should, this year or in the future, without a General Manager?
The team’s current success makes it easier to spin the G.M.-free moves positively. But questions still linger regarding the moves made as the season approached. Giving up a third-round pick for a stop-gap running back remains a significant price to pay for a position that can easily be addressed in the later rounds of the draft (or, as the Texans learned with Arian Foster, not in the draft at all). Giving up two first-round picks for tackle Laremy Tunsil and receiver Kenny Stills without signing Tunsil to a long-term deal will result in a much bigger contract for Tunsil than what he would have gotten on Labor Day weekend. (And, no, the fact that the Rams gave up two first-round picks and a fourth-round pick for Jalen Ramsey without signing him to a new deal doesn’t absolve the Texans; it separately damns the Rams.) Waiting too long to trade Jadeveon Clowney resulted in a limited haul — along with a requirement for the Texans to pay $7 million of his 2019 salary.
Immediately after moves that left the Texans without a pair of first-round picks and without more than a third-round pick to show for a dominant-when-healthy defensive player and the $7 million in cash and cap space they burned to accommodate the deal, some said (only partially jokingly) that the Texans will have a hard time finding a G.M. in 2020. Now, they won’t have to try.
And it would be foolish to ignore the possibility that the Texans have decided to tread water in order to avoid a stream of candidates saying “thanks but no thanks” given the absence of draft picks, and in light of the vague question of whether Easterby will be working under the new G.M., or vice-versa. The Fritz Pollard Alliance objected publicly to the decision to interview a pair of minority candidates last June before not filling the job; the next time the Texans launch a search for a G.M., they have to make a hire.
The key for now continues to be Watson. And the next challenge for O’Brien and Easterby will be to come up with a timeline and a negotiating strategy for extending Watson’s deal. The moment the 2019 regular season ends, the window opens on Watson’s second contract. And they’ll be dealing with the same agent who finagled Ramsey’s trade to the Rams. And they’ll have to decide whether to wait for the Chiefs to extend Patrick Mahomes‘ contract or to strike first.
Regardless, Watson has played his way into a contract at or above the current market high of $35 million in new money per year. Figuring out dollars and structure for Watson without a G.M. in the building will be a challenge, to say the least

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Texans not planning to hire general manager for 2020 season

Ian Rapoport
NFL Network Insider
+Follow on Twitter
Print
When the Texans' courtship of New England Patriots top executive Nick Caserio fell through this past offseason, the thought was simple: Houston would wait until after the draft and hire Caserio then. That does not appear to be the plan, anymore.
Sources say that the Texans plan to continue this offseason and beyond with their current personnel structure rather than hire a true general manager in title. Coach Bill O'Brien has final say, though he essentially works with the team's executive vice president of team development Jack Easterby to be in charge of football operations.
Thus, tonight's showdown between Houston and New England won't feature the Texans future GM watching from a rival coaching box, after all. A tense situation that included a tampering charge this spring is poised to end without incident.
Currently, O'Brien and Easterby run things, while the rest of the duties are divvied up. Chris Olsen, the VP of Football Administration, does contracts and deals with the salary cap. And Matt Bazirgan runs player personnel.
It's a unique setup, but one that has worked for the Texans.

frethack

Rookie
Hopefully they learn a lesson from the Rams, if it's not already too late. Thus far the traded players have worked out, but the real test is two years from now...is it sustainable.

Who else will get the Clowney treatment?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Texansballer74

The Marine
Why are they linking out this type of information and at this time? Some stuff needs to be kept in house.

And the shitzee show continues. This organization continues to show they're clueless AF.

dream_team

Hall of Fame
To be fair, the Lions and Dolphins have had GMs for how many seasons now?
Lol.

I'm a believer that the GM and HC role should be two different people. It's two different skill sets, as well as HC's make decisions based on their emotions too much.

I think there are very rare exceptions where this would work out. But, the coach would need to prove they are exceptional at his primary role first before entertaining the idea of receiving GM responsibilities as well.

frethack

Rookie
Other teams are loving the fact that they have at full off-season to trade with OBrien and his yes man.

Can't imagine the free agent signings and extensions won't be disasters
TBH I feel better about the quality of free agent we might get with the current headless system, but not the contracts that will be doled out.

frethack

Rookie
Lol.

I'm a believer that the GM and HC role should be two different people. It's two different skill sets, as well as HC's make decisions based on their emotions too much.

I think there are very rare exceptions where this would work out. But, the coach would need to prove they are exceptional at his primary role first before entertaining the idea of receiving GM responsibilities as well.
The last paragraph X 1000

I'm all for trying a flat org structure, but BOB is mediocre as a HC/OC thus far. I guess the good news is that if he ever gets fired, we will be forced to start from scratch.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
We've brought in more talent since we've lost our GM, outside the draft, than at any time in this team's history.

If we were to bring in Caserio, he would not have been a GM like Ozzie Newsome, or Polian, or Elway who holds real power.

He wouldn't have been a GM like Casserly or Smith or Gaines that played advocate to the head coach.

His job would be to assist Bill O'Brien to build the Texans as Bill O'Brien sees fit.

If Easterby is doing that job, why add more to the mix.

I hate BO'b, but so far it looks like we've found something he's actually good at.

Getting an OC, imo, is soooooooo much more imperative to the future success of the Houston Texans.

Mollywhopper

Facilitator
Staff member
We've brought in more talent since we've lost our GM, outside the draft, than at any time in this team's history.

If we were to bring in Caserio, he would not have been a GM like Ozzie Newsome, or Polian, or Elway who holds real power.

He wouldn't have been a GM like Casserly or Smith or Gaines that played advocate to the head coach.

His job would be to assist Bill O'Brien to build the Texans as Bill O'Brien sees fit.

I hate BO'b, but so far it looks like we've found something he's actually good at.

Getting an OC, imo, is soooooooo much more imperative to the future success of the Houston Texans.
Hard to say that for certain when we don't know what the future ramifications of his decisions will be.

There's an awful lot to account for yet.

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club

We've brought in more talent and have never been so low on draft capital.

We're in win now mode this year.

AcresHomesTexan

No Longer Arlington: Escaped From Jerry's World
Staff member
So the Texans management stays the course with a corporate decision-making set-up based on largely mediocre to okay results...never would have guessed that based on the history of the club. :thinking:

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
It will be easier to fire this group when they fail, than with a buddy in the GM chair. This also tells me Caserio may have cold feet after some of GM Bob’s moves. Anyway, nothings a shock with these guys anymore.
Came here to say this. Easier to clean house by not going after him.

Does Caserio not want to come here with the absence of 2 first round picks?

Omerta

Waterboy
Lol.

So much this. After our SB John Harbaugh started feeling himself too much and started having more influence over the greatest GM possibly ever. He would draft his "double red star players" whatever the hell that is. He was on the brink of getting everyone fired because our owner was tired of mediocrity.

Now nobody had confirmed it, but rumor around Ravens HQ was Harbs was say down and told to stay in his lane. Tell the GM what he needs and then shut his pie hole. Then **** turned around... FAST.

I think it is too much for one man to handle. Because you have to be approachable to these guys but these guys also know it is your responsibility to make them unemployed. Not too mention scouting is year round. How good can you be doing both part time?

Last edited:

KA4Texan

Woof!
Contributor's Club
Maybe Cal has seen all he needed to see from O’Brien. I’m hoping this means they’re ready to go in a different direction (HC wise) after this season.
Oh, to be so optimistic.

You are waiting for them to fire him....

I'm waiting until they unveil the new name and look for the team this offseason.

The Houston O'Briens, our mascot will be Toro, with a shaved chin to expose the chin... ahh, why not...lets call it "character".

frethack

Rookie
Oh, to be so optimistic.

You are waiting for them to fire him....

I'm waiting until they unveil the new name and look for the team this offseason.

The Houston O'Briens, our mascot will be Toro, with a shaved chin to expose the chin... ahh, why not...lets call it "character".
Our mascot...a huge black hole. Is it a chin dimple? Is it an anus?

KA4Texan

Woof!
Contributor's Club
Our mascot...a huge black hole. Is it a chin dimple? Is it an anus?

Its an anus dimple.

The brightside is, at some point OB will have such an alphabet of job titles... you KNOW it will be entertaining.

Imagine OB trying to add CB to his list, one more injury... he might just have to. (Not that I want to see injury... even on the teams I loathe like the Titans or Cowboys)

disaacks3

Staff member
Or months from now, we could hire a GM. No one was expected to be hired until after draft.
...only because we were waiting for Caserio and he's under contract until then. Anyone else you'd want in house prior to the draft.

Texan Asylum

Hall of Fame
Lol.

"HC's make decisions based on their emotions"

This I believe is the problem. Pride or overreaching optimism can influence even the best of folks. Someone else needs to be in that role so as to look at thinks objectively rather than subjectively.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
Here's the thing, we've had a GM for better part of 2 decades and gotten no where. First year we have a GM/HC combo and we beat the Chiefs, Colts and, for the first time in 10 years, the Pats and actually look like a real team. We can talk about contract extensions, FA signing and drafts and those are legit concerns but at the same time we've played it safe on those and been one of the most boring, vanilla teams in the NFL.

I say if they want to roll with this system why the hell not, if it blows up in our face so what. We hire a new HC, go back into rebuild mode and try again later on down the line. At this point I'd rather be in rebuild mode than another year of being a 7-9,, 8-8, 9-7 team. We'll worry about the off season when the off season actually gets here, for now its working and I for one am going to enjoy the ride. This is the most fun the Texans have been since BoB got here.

Texan Asylum

Hall of Fame
Here's the thing, we've had a GM for better part of 2 decades and gotten no where. First year we have a GM/HC combo and we beat the Chiefs, Colts and, for the first time in 10 years, the Pats and actually look like a real team. We can talk about contract extensions, FA signing and drafts and those are legit concerns but at the same time we've played it safe on those and been one of the most boring, vanilla teams in the NFL.

I say if they want to roll with this system why the hell not, if it blows up in our face so what. We hire a new HC, go back into rebuild mode and try again later on down the line. At this point I'd rather be in rebuild mode than another year of being a 7-9,, 8-8, 9-7 team. We'll worry about the off season when the off season actually gets here, for now its working and I for one am going to enjoy the ride. This is the most fun the Texans have been since BoB got here.
I hear you, and I'm enjoying it as well, but how much of this success is on DW's talent and ability rather than the system in place? We've NEVER had a talent at the QB spot like we have now. How much better could it be if we had a coach (for me right now BoB) who only had to worry about coaching and not GM'ing or play calling?

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
I hear you, and I'm enjoying it as well, but how much of this success is on DW's talent and ability rather than the system in place? We've NEVER had a talent at the QB spot like we have now. How much better could it be if we had a coach (for me right now BoB) who only had to worry about coaching and not GM'ing or play calling?
I would say it’s gotten even better since we acquired a LT through a trade to orchestrated by the HC to keep the talented QB upright and healthy. Last time we were playing Denver he had to travel in a bus because of a punctured lung. Plus, the running game is the best since Foster was here.

Texan Asylum

Hall of Fame
I would say it’s gotten even better since we acquired a LT through a trade to orchestrated by the HC to keep the talented QB upright and healthy. Last time we were playing Denver he had to travel in a bus because of a punctured lung. Plus, the running game is the best since Foster was here.
True, not saying that there's been nothing good, but just seems to be inconsistent when it comes to game planning and such that indicates, I believe, that BoB has too much on his plate.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
True, not saying that there's been nothing good, but just seems to be inconsistent when it comes to game planning and such that indicates, I believe, that BoB has too much on his plate.
Totally agree.

OB needs an OC, someone to manage challenges, someone to manage timeouts, someone to keep an eye on the game clock, someone to manage the stats behind the plays like Harbaugh, etc.

Texan Asylum

Hall of Fame
Totally agree.

OB needs an OC, someone to manage challenges, someone to manage timeouts, someone to keep an eye on the game clock, someone to manage the stats behind the plays like Harbaugh, etc.
Agree wholeheartedly. I like BoB...I think he has a problem with delegation...and like most leaders who struggle with that, you can do only so much and your endeavors will only grow as far as you can get them there. Surrounding yourself with quality people, who do quality work, will enable you to grow your endeavor to point much much further beyond your own ability to get there.