Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans cut WR Kenny Stills!

Really its both sides of the ball .... Defense is bad at every level , offense could use a decent RB , a center and a guard , maybe both guards .... Then there's WFV , staying or going ?!

I think the OT , QB and TE spots are solid on offense.
I think a good OC should be able to build a decent NFL offense with what we have minus Martin, Fuller, & our RBs.

I don’t know if we can afford to keep Cooks. But if we lose him WR would be a big problem.

I think a good OC should be able to build a decent NFL offense with what we have minus Martin, Fuller, & our RBs.

I don’t know if we can afford to keep Cooks. But if we lose him WR would be a big problem.

Fuller or Fulton?

We are so bad that losing to us was the last straw for the Detroit Lions and head coach Matt Patricia and GM Bob Quinn were fired.

I had a feeling losing to us was going to be the last straw for Matt Patricia. I didn't see the GM firing also taken place. None the less their s**tty team getting manhandled on national TV by our s**tty team was plenty of reason for the Lions to make changes to their team.

We are so bad that losing to us was the last straw for the Detroit Lions and head coach Matt Patricia and GM Bob Quinn were fired.

I had a feeling losing to us was going to be the last straw for Matt Patricia. I didn't see the GM firing also taken place. None the less their s**tty team getting manhandled on national TV by our s**tty team was plenty of reason for the Lions to make changes to their team.

Well, our shitty team can beat your shitty team. However, if your team isn't shitty, you'll probably win.

Sad state of affairs @ Ford field especially with everything else going on. Don’t like to see anyone fired (except O’Brian).
However, would like Cal to snag that fine young TE they have....

I'm setting him up if he gets another HC fired. You know what you call a QB that gets 2 HC's fired within 5-6 years? A coach killer.

Ok let's be honest. If a new HC comes in and Watson is still playing at the same level as now. With no change, and the HC is fired for not being able to get to the next level. Watson is part to blame. No if, and or buts about it. He is going to stamp his "ok" on a HC. I don't care who picks them. You know Watson has to like them. So if everything stays as is... you have to say that Watson played a role. Making the post above basically true. If it happens to be EB, who did magic with Mahomes. Then Watson should get better also.

I still have a feeling that the HC is Romeo until after next year. When we have more draft picks and maybe via trade better picks. Seeing right now, a HC is going to be either younger and wanting to get his feet wet. Or a former HC who did ok with the last team but is trying to show he is legit. Besides that, I don't see a great HC taking on a team that honestly is in need of a partial rebuild. OL, DBs, a DL player or 2 and a RB...and a WR or 2. That is not going to happen in one season. Like JJ said "I'm not looking for a rebuild" and most coaches are not either unless they have free reign.

Both really, but I was speaking at that moment of Fuller. Better to have him, but a good OC should be able to put together a middle of the road offense with Akins, Fells, Cooks, Cobb,

I think

I agree with that .... just need a decent RB and fix the interior of the OL - particularly Martin and Kelemete.

Akins is putting it together , could be one of the better TE's if he keeps this up. Cooks , Cobb & Fells are starting NFL receivers.
You'd like to keep Fuller if the money is right but not at a break the bank figure. He's a #2 on most teams.

I agree with that .... just need a decent RB and fix the interior of the OL - particularly Martin and Kelemete.
Yes. It sickens me every other team has at least one back up better than our whole corps. Or that we couldn’t find a spot for Adrian Peterson, or didn’t even bid on Fornette. & Hunt....

but yeah, get these yahoos out of here & maybe we can find oneof these RBs that seem to fall off trees for everybody else.

Traded a 2nd round pick in the trade that brought Stills and his 8 million salary from Miami. They then traded Hop and got a 2nd rounder in return and signed Cobb in free agency. They traded another 2nd rounder to get Cooks and his 8 million dollar salary from LA. They could have kept their 2nd rounder in one of the deepest WR drafts in recent memory and used the money they wasted bringing in Cooks, Cobb, and Stills and just paid Hopkins to begin with. You would have still had a pretty good WR group with Hopkins, Fuller, a rookie, and been in better shape cap wise going forward.

I really like the dynamic that Fuller brings and would like to resign him if at all possible

Same .... but with the current economic situation , I really don't know where you draw the line in the sand as far as money goes. Maybe you give him a bunch of up front money and spread it out over 4 years to keep this years cap figure down .... but with his injury history that could be a disaster.

Traded a 2nd round pick in the trade that brought Stills and his 8 million salary from Miami. They then traded Hop and got a 2nd rounder in return and signed Cobb in free agency. They traded another 2nd rounder to get Cooks and his 8 million dollar salary from LA. They could have kept their 2nd rounder in one of the deepest WR drafts in recent memory and used the money they wasted bringing in Cooks, Cobb, and Stills and just paid Hopkins to begin with. You would have still had a pretty good WR group with Hopkins, Fuller, a rookie, and been in better shape cap wise going forward.

You have to understand that the Hopkins trade had nothing at all to do with talent or money.

It was done because he was a "bad influence" and that decision was made by Janice who capitulated to the demands of an individual who isn't even part of the team.

Obviously more people know about this than I previously thought as someone here hinted at it and I asked them privately and confirmed my suspicions
It really makes me wonder why the media hasn't broken the story. The media continues to run with the "its OB's fault" narrative .... rather than outing Mother Goose and the front office for their bush league way of doing business.

You have to understand that the Hopkins trade had nothing at all to do with talent or money.

It was done because he was a "bad influence" and that decision was made by Janice who capitulated to the demands of an individual who isn't even part of the team.

Obviously more people know about this than I previously thought as someone here hinted at it and I asked them privately and confirmed my suspicions
It really makes me wonder why the media hasn't broken the story. The media continues to run with the "its OB's fault" narrative .... rather than outing Mother Goose and the front office for their bush league way of doing business.

I may be the most out of the loop person here - so who is this unnamed individual?

Texans are actually very good at keeping their dirty laundry out of the public spotlight. The real reason Gaine was fired has still never come out to the public.

Akins is putting it together , could be one of the better TE's if he keeps this up. Cooks , Cobb & Fells are starting NFL receivers.
You'd like to keep Fuller if the money is right but not at a break the bank figure. He's a #2 on most teams.

Fuller has a big issue. Staying on the field for 16+. I like the dynamic of him and he is lethal when 100%. Yet he is always missing time for an injury. If he can get it together that would be great.

Texans are actually very good at keeping their dirty laundry out of the public spotlight. The real reason Gaine was fired has still never come out to the public.

Very true. Seeing he was OBs buddy and then out of the blue he is gone. No explanation for why. Most people just dismissed it. And look around and he isn't on another team that I am aware of to this day.

Brian Gaine is with the Buffalo Bills. He is listed as Senior Personnel Advisor. If I remember correctly he was not out of work long before he returned to the Bills.

Whatever he was fired for it really did not hurt him very much because for most of the last 2 years he has been drawing a salary from the Texans & the Bills.

Brian Gaine is with the Buffalo Bills. He is listed as Senior Personnel Advisor. If I remember correctly he was not out of work long before he returned to the Bills.

Whatever he was fired for it really did not hurt him very much because for most of the last 2 years he has been drawing a salary from the Texans & the Bills.
Just you wait.......

...... Houston will rue the day they fired one Mr. Bill Buttchinlick.... mark my words.

He will be on a new team... in 3... 2...

Are you ruing yet?

Rueeee!!!!!

even on this forum, behind an avatar, there is reluctance to spill the tea..
"PM poster xyz for the deets on why Hop is gone" was a recent post i read (i'm paraphrasing).
Really? Is the reason so nefarious that these gymnastics are necessary on an anonymous board?

Not a dig...just makes me wonder.

Did they offer their first rounder as a thank you?

Cooks has no dead money if he's cut next year - If you can sign WFV for the same $12m cap hit , which do you keep ?

Cooks cap hit for the next three seasons (21-23) is $12m - $13m - $14m.

If they cut Cooks they will have traded a second round pick for a one year rental. That's more egg on the face to the FO on bad trades/signings. If they plan on keeping him they need to restructure and get that cap number lower especially if they plan on keeping Fuller. Pancakes seems to think they will either sign Fuller or franchise him.

"PM poster xyz for the deets on why Hop is gone" was a recent post i read (i'm paraphrasing).
Really? Is the reason so nefarious that these gymnastics are necessary on an anonymous board?

Depending on what it is even an anonymous board can tell an organization who is leaking info. I like listening to the wrestling podcasts and Eric Bischoff, a former wrestling executive for those that don’t know, told a story how when he wanted to find out who was leaking to the press he told a different story to the 5 people he thought was leaking and when one of the stories came out in the dirt sheets he knew who the leak was.

If it’s very privileged information that only a handful know and it comes out it has to be one of those handful.

Depending on what it is even an anonymous board can tell an organization who is leaking info. I like listening to the wrestling podcasts and Eric Bischoff, a former wrestling executive for those that don’t know, told a story how when he wanted to find out who was leaking to the press he told a different story to the 5 people he thought was leaking and when one of the stories came out in the dirt sheets he knew who the leak was.

If it’s very privileged information that only a handful know and it comes out it has to be one of those handful.

Yes Eric had many tricks like that. Oddly, Vince fired him for something similar that he found out about by making a fake leak.

Yes Eric had many tricks like that. Oddly, Vince fired him for something similar that he found out about by making a fake leak.

there's a similar drama playing out in Britain...it concerns two Premier League WAGs (wives and girlfriends)

i love the name of the scandal - Wagatha Christie
Vardy vs Rooney

They are good at keeping it out of the media ..... not so much keeping it completely quiet , quite a few know that story.

Press passes with this team come with conditions.

For the franchise , it would be embarrassing that they let this person dictate personnel decisions like they are a little league team.

As for myself - I gave my word to my source , that's not a bridge I want to burn. I like knowing much of the goings on with this franchise.
Also I don't really care to implicate the 3rd party indirectly involved. It's not his fault but it would be embarrassing.

Fuller has a big issue. Staying on the field for 16+. I like the dynamic of him and he is lethal when 100%. Yet he is always missing time for an injury. If he can get it together that would be great.

He's been better this year .... started every game and has a career highs in total yards , catches , yards per game , yards per reception , yards per target , receptions per game and TD's.

There was the odd disappearance in the Raven's game .... 0 targets , 0 catches and no explanation from the team.

If they cut Cooks they will have traded a second round pick for a one year rental. That's more egg on the face to the FO on bad trades/signings. If they plan on keeping him they need to restructure and get that cap number lower especially if they plan on keeping Fuller. Pancakes seems to think they will either sign Fuller or franchise him.

Just blame it on OB ... Would be nice if they could renegotiate that deal and save a little but I don't believe he'd give up money - even with covid economics he's likely to earn a similar amount as a free agent.

I can't see them franchising WFV. That's just too damn much money for a "complimentary player" - he's not a #1 , he's the guy you need to take some coverage pressure away from your #1 but they'd be paying him like he was producing like a #1 ....

Then again , this is the Texans and they do dumb stuff.

Now if they can sign him to something along the lines of this years salary which is close to that of Cooks , that's a fair deal. I just don't know where they find the cap space to do it. They are going to have some difficult decisions ahead.

One guy I hope they do part with is Martin .... its hard to have a solid OL when your center sucks.

Ok let's be honest. If a new HC comes in and Watson is still playing at the same level as now. With no change, and the HC is fired for not being able to get to the next level. Watson is part to blame. No if, and or buts about it. He is going to stamp his "ok" on a HC. I don't care who picks them. You know Watson has to like them. So if everything stays as is... you have to say that Watson played a role. Making the post above basically true. If it happens to be EB, who did magic with Mahomes. Then Watson should get better also.

I still have a feeling that the HC is Romeo until after next year. When we have more draft picks and maybe via trade better picks. Seeing right now, a HC is going to be either younger and wanting to get his feet wet. Or a former HC who did ok with the last team but is trying to show he is legit. Besides that, I don't see a great HC taking on a team that honestly is in need of a partial rebuild. OL, DBs, a DL player or 2 and a RB...and a WR or 2. That is not going to happen in one season. Like JJ said "I'm not looking for a rebuild" and most coaches are not either unless they have free reign.

They already said that Romeo is finishing this season only.

He's been better this year .... started every game and has a career highs in total yards , catches , yards per game , yards per reception , yards per target , receptions per game and TD's.

There was the odd disappearance in the Raven's game .... 0 targets , 0 catches and no explanation from the team.

Just blame it on OB ... Would be nice if they could renegotiate that deal and save a little but I don't believe he'd give up money - even with covid economics he's likely to earn a similar amount as a free agent.

I can't see them franchising WFV. That's just too damn much money for a "complimentary player" - he's not a #1 , he's the guy you need to take some coverage pressure away from your #1 but they'd be paying him like he was producing like a #1 ....

Then again , this is the Texans and they do dumb stuff.

Now if they can sign him to something along the lines of this years salary which is close to that of Cooks , that's a fair deal. I just don't know where they find the cap space to do it. They are going to have some difficult decisions ahead.

One guy I hope they do part with is Martin .... its hard to have a solid OL when your center sucks.

Fuller is getting paid $16-$18 million range. Texans will franchise him, if necessary.

They are good at keeping it out of the media ..... not so much keeping it completely quiet , quite a few know that story.

Press passes with this team come with conditions.

For the franchise , it would be embarrassing that they let this person dictate personnel decisions like they are a little league team.

As for myself - I gave my word to my source , that's not a bridge I want to burn. I like knowing much of the goings on with this franchise.
Also I don't really care to implicate the 3rd party indirectly involved. It's not his fault but it would be embarrassing.
I struggle to get my head around all of this.
My guess was that Easterby had a big influence in having the wrong type of characters around the team. Palcic got the bullet because she didn’t manage to keep his name out of the media, bringing ridicule on the owners.

All this is pretty much out in the open, so having respected members here posting that there is more to the story has me wondering.

A guy like Stills had already burned a bridge with this organisation by protesting BLM and getting arrested during the summer. The McNair’s won’t have enjoyed seeing that, but also felt unable to address it immediately. Funny how his role diminished during the season, then he sticks his neck out and questions the Palcic firing. Gone.

My guess was that Easterby had a big influence in having the wrong type of characters around the team. Palcic got the bullet because she didn’t manage to keep his name out of the media, bringing ridicule on the owners.

All this is pretty much out in the open, so having respected members here posting that there is more to the story has me wondering.

A guy like Stills had already burned a bridge with this organisation by protesting BLM and getting arrested during the summer. The McNair’s won’t have enjoyed seeing that, but also felt unable to address it immediately. Funny how his role diminished during the season, then he sticks his neck out and questions the Palcic firing. Gone.

The Easterby angle is really overplayed .... he's just a whipping boy and click bait for media types at this point. My understanding is that he was riding in the side car while OB did what he did.

He's done literally nothing since taking over the interim GM tag .... other than parting ways with Stills.
He just doesn't have the experience nor relationships necessary to do the job - he knows it and so does everyone else. That and Cal thinking the band is actually pretty good is why they didn't do anything drastic at the deadline.

I know a lot of people keep playing his part up .... I don't hear any of that from within.

I have not asked nor heard anything about Palcic's termination - I find it irrelevant to the performance of the team & if they parted ways with her over political differences , she wouldn't be the first nor the last to suffer that fate ... It would not surprise me if this parting of ways with Stills was related to that issue and others. I just don't find it to be of any consequence to the bottom line.

I think we need to keep Fuller. I think Cooks/Fuller make a great duo, and if we can pair these guys with a solid running game we have the makings of a dynamic offense. I’ve been impressed with our passing game given the fact that we literally can’t run the FB and we are completely one dimensional

There’s too many other guys we can cut and replace. I’m not sure of the cap ramifications but I’d cut David Johnson, McKinney, Fulton, Murray, Cobb, Mercilus and perhaps N Martin. I’d let Duke walk or bring him back at a lower price tag. We have too many players that are overpaid based on their production we need to start to remedy that

Romeo won't be the HC after this season ends , they've already come public with that as well as Easterby being replaced too.

Yeah , it's going to be a rebuild to some extent but I really don't think that's going to stop a quality candidate from taking the job. There's only 32 if these jobs and a whole lot more who would love to have them.

This is the kinda job you take when you can and hang onto it as long as you can ....
If anything stops those quality candidates from taking it , it'll be a combination of the perception of this franchise and how they do business and opportunity with a different franchise.

They've been a train wreck in the front office going from Rick Smith to Gaine to OB to nobody in particular ...

Then again , they have shown in the past to give coaching staffs a long leash. Having only 3 HC's in an 18 year span with mediocre results for the most part from each of them. They probably feel pretty comfortable in having the job for the duration of a 5 year deal.

Those that don't have other opportunities will be lining up at the door to interview - the paycheck starts at $3m which is about three times what the average OC or DC earns and ten to fifteen times what position coaches earn.
NFL Head Coach Salary 2020-21 (List of Highest paid Coaches) (sportscriber.com)

Guys at the top one or two on their wish list may not end up here , they will certainly have opportunities with the several other teams that will ultimately make changes .... but those that don't will be knocking the door down.

Texans , Jets , Lions , Falcons , Jax and Chicago have or probably will can their coaches .... Bieniemy will probably have his pick of those.

Which of those jobs is most tempting ?

The Jets with likely the #1 overall pick and $83m in cap space.
The Jags with likely the #2 pick and $84m in cap space.
Atlanta currently at pick #7 with negative $25m in cap space.
Detroit currently at pick #9 with $1.2m in cap space.
Chicago currently at pick #16 with $2.4m in cap space.
Texans with no picks in the top two rounds and negative $14.5m in cap space.

The only things Atlanta and Houston have going for them is their QB's ....

Cooks has no dead money if he's cut next year - If you can sign WFV for the same $12m cap hit , which do you keep ?

Cooks cap hit for the next three seasons (21-23) is $12m - $13m - $14m.

I try to renegotiate Cooks down to the 8-10 million $$$$ range and give him more guaranteed $$$$. If he turns this deal down then I cut him and bring WFV back. I wouldn't bring WFV back for more than the 10.5 he made this yr. In other words WFV would be gone.

If I had to choose between Cooks/WFV, Cooks would be my pick, less injury history.

The Easterby angle is really overplayed .... he's just a whipping boy and click bait for media types at this point. My understanding is that he was riding in the side car while OB did what he did.

He's done literally nothing since taking over the interim GM tag .... other than parting ways with Stills.
He just doesn't have the experience nor relationships necessary to do the job - he knows it and so does everyone else. That and Cal thinking the band is actually pretty good is why they didn't do anything drastic at the deadline.

I know a lot of people keep playing his part up .... I don't hear any of that from within.

I have not asked nor heard anything about Palcic's termination - I find it irrelevant to the performance of the team & if they parted ways with her over political differences , she wouldn't be the first nor the last to suffer that fate ... It would not surprise me if this parting of ways with Stills was related to that issue and others. I just don't find it to be of any consequence to the bottom line.

There is no right answer. The right answer once again points directly to inept FO. If all this side shite really upset the McNair's then they should've moved him before the trade deadline and at least got a RD5 in return.......instead the dumbarses allow their anger to simmer and finally boil over to the point they cut him and get nothing in return. Stills will have zero issues getting signed once he's proven to be healthy enough to be on the field. Get 3 DUNCE hats for the "Kirby Trio".

Back