Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans "Culture"

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Is it wrong for me to not care at all about who the next HC of the Houston Texans will be? I feel like I should care but I don't. Maybe last year's head coaching "search" has left me feeling like I was conned, or maybe it's because I feel like the Texans are still at least five years from being a competitor for just the AFC South division. I don't think you can rebuild a team with only high round draft picks - look at Jacksonville for a reference - and I don't think Houston is attractive to any free agents except the type of free agents that came here last off-season. The kind that are just trying to prolong their flailing NFL careers.

Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think the names being considered for the vacant Texans HC job are going to entice high end free agents to want to come here. There are too many stories of players that left here recently feeling like they were "prisoners", I think is how Cobb described it. And it wasn't because Culley is a mean SOB. Quite the opposite.

I know some here have some insider information inside the Texans organization. But they don't know what's being said around the league (player) circles about the Texans, and neither do I but I don't think they're all talking about itching to come here and play for the McNair's, Jack, and Nick.
On the Colin Cowherd show today, former Texan Stanford Routt revealed that the McNairs are only interested in doing things the 'right' way. Unnatural for football, results take a back seat to everything being 'right'. And that's probably why the franchise has always been so dysfunctional. And probably why the Jesuits were brought in

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
On the Colin Cowherd show today, former Texan Stanford Routt revealed that the McNairs are only interested in doing things the 'right' way. Unnatural for football, results take a back seat to everything being 'right'. And that's probably why the franchise has always been so dysfunctional. And probably why the Jesuits were brought in
The Steelers are another team that try to do things the right way.

The Colts do things “the right way.”

Most teams try to put up a facade of doing things the right way. That’s why they extended the leagues power to reprimand players for conduct damaging to the integrity of the NFL.

A lot of it is double speak, but we love us some Tom Landry

Texansballer74

The Marine

Most teams try to put up a facade of doing things the right way. That’s why they extended the leagues power to reprimand players for conduct damaging to the integrity of the NFL.

Add in the Patriots and Packers.

amazing80

Hall of Fame

From an outside view, it seems like the issue is less about being a high character guy and more of with the organization feeling like a Religious cult, with prayer meetings and a Pastor leading moral boosting sessions.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
From an outside view, it seems like the issue is less about being a high character guy and more of with the organization feeling like a Religious cult, with prayer meetings and a Pastor leading moral boosting sessions.
Since Janice/Cal has taken over, that's exactly what it is

Earl34

Hall of Fame

I posted multiple times about the McNairs infatuation with the Patriots while ignoring the Steelers. I found it ironic that in today's press conference, Caserio went on and on about the Steelers, hiring Tomlin, the media reaction, their stability, organization model and how he wants to build organization processes that will serve the McNair family even after he is gone. 🤣

banned1976

sleeper mode
Wilbon is so wrong on this it's actually hard to believe.

However, one of the replies to that video, I think, is spot on...

"There’s got to be some unspoken elements within that organization that makes players question the leadership above the coaching staff. Star players walking when their contracts are up, or just out right refusing to play in general says a lot."

Culley's a good man. He's great with the players, from all that I've read and heard. He wasn't a good HC. That said, he never lost the locker room, or if he did it never showed up on the field. The Texans played hard until the very end.

Texansballer74

The Marine
Wilbon is so wrong on this it's actually hard to believe.

However, one of the replies to that video, I think, is spot on...

"There’s got to be some unspoken elements within that organization that makes players question the leadership above the coaching staff. Star players walking when their contracts are up, or just out right refusing to play in general says a lot."

Culley's a good man. He's great with the players, from all that I've read and heard. He wasn't a good HC. That said, he never lost the locker room, or if he did it never showed up on the field. The Texans played hard until the very end.
The thing is this is not actually true because star players were not walking away after their contracts were up. If they’re saying Watt, then that’s false because we all know he wasn’t a superstar anymore. Hopkins was traded. Watson signed his new contract but reneged because of his off the field issues coming to the light. Therefore, what Superstar player is he talking about.

Last edited:

badboy

Hall of Fame
I am under the impression that Easterby operated in that regard the same way with the Patriots organization. I don't recall anyone referring to it as a Cult or having any complaints about voluntary prayer meetings.

amazing80

Hall of Fame
I am under the impression that Easterby operated in that regard the same way with the Patriots organization. I don't recall anyone referring to it as a Cult or having any complaints about voluntary prayer meetings.
Because BB puts an emphasis on winning above all else. He allowed just enough leash to let it slide, while not sacrificing taking risks. And Easterby was one guy. Was the HC, GM, and Owner all spewing the same stuff?

badboy

Hall of Fame
Because BB puts an emphasis on winning above all else. He allowed just enough leash to let it slide, while not sacrificing taking risks. And Easterby was one guy. Was the HC, GM, and Owner all spewing the same stuff?
I guess it goes back to the old argument that I've had for years on this board that not everyone wants to win Above All Else. I think that just goes back to the individuals beliefs, morals and character. There are players I do not want on any team that I root for. I have that right and I recognize that others have the right to feel the opposite.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
You honestly are ok with this FOOTBALL organization putting a higher emphasis on religion vs guys who can help win?

And I am not suggesting you take all the dead beats, but there are plenty of guys who can help win that doesn't appear to fit the mold they are currently enforcing.
I am more OK with the business having that choice over the alternative of not.

Now we all know what this franchise is about it we can either continue to be a fan or jump ship.

It is what it is.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
And that's the difference. One ownership group puts winning ahead and the other does not

amazing80

Hall of Fame
You do realize Easterby, Caserio and all the rest came from New England right? And most had been there for decades.
And yet they took risks on risky players throughout the years. I am not even advocating for that. All I am saying is we have had enough former players question and call out our organization for being....different...and it always seems to be centered around religion in some way.

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.
And yet they took risks on risky players throughout the years. I am not even advocating for that. All I am saying is we have had enough former players question and call out our organization for being....different...and it always seems to be centered around religion in some way.

I'm so sick of the religious angle with Easterby and even before him on this franchise. If they want to have a fellowship on the team I support that. Cool. But don't force it and draft or pursue free agents with that as a top priority.

You find the best talents you can and mold young stupid men into better people if you can. Truth be told, the bad actors usually need more help then the good ones. Isn't that the Christian way?

Obviously, I'm not asking us to draft murderers and rapist (did I need to type that?)

At the end of the day, this is still a football team. We need talent to win. We need to win to establish a brand. With a brand, this team makes a bigger difference.

Maybe I'm jaded though, I once had a poster ask me to change my avatar because it offended his religious sensibilities.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
The Texans have always been this way since their inception. Long before Easterby, time for you to realize the truth. The McNairs have always been aboui the money Let's hope Caserio gets the rebuild right and Mills and company can lead this team to a championship. If not then most likely the McNair's will sell the team. I look at this as a win/win situation.

djohn2oo8

All Pro
You honestly are ok with this FOOTBALL organization putting a higher emphasis on religion vs guys who can help win?

And I am not suggesting you take all the dead beats, but there are plenty of guys who can help win that doesn't appear to fit the mold they are currently enforcing.
????? What does this mean? And in what way are you saying Jack does this

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
People believe what they want to…at the end of the day, it is my opinion that anyone who believes the McNairs are somehow wrong for not putting winning over everything have never run a business or been a leader in any capacity.

amazing80

Hall of Fame
People believe what they want to…at the end of the day, it is my opinion that anyone who believes the McNairs are somehow wrong for not putting winning over everything have never run a business or been a leader in any capacity.
That’s incorrect. I would argue the exact opposite. I run two successful businesses and have been a leader in many capacities. One of which I was the President of a business organization.

As a leader you have to know what your goals are. Owning an nfl franchise should be wining a super bowl. While Cal doesn’t need to sacrifice his want for good people with little to no legal drama, in place of his goal. He certainly shouldn’t emphasize his religion over his goal.

Introducing religion in the work place is bound to create tension among employees because not everyone shares the same views. It’s stupid they are involving it to the level they are within the building

Texazan

Our HOF 34
That’s incorrect. I would argue the exact opposite. I run two successful businesses and have been a leader in many capacities. One of which I was the President of a business organization.

As a leader you have to know what your goals are. Owning an nfl franchise should be wining a super bowl. While Cal doesn’t need to sacrifice his want for good people with little to no legal drama, in place of his goal. He certainly shouldn’t emphasize his religion over his goal.

Introducing religion in the work place is bound to create tension among employees because not everyone shares the same views. It’s stupid they are involving it to the level they are within the building
I'm with ya on that. I think you can certainly have it in the building for players and employees to seek out and attend but to put it front and center (JE everywhere) and to be a dynamic influence as to who is on the team and in the building is taking it too far. I know it would drive me crazy.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Introducing religion in the work place is bound to create tension among employees because not everyone shares the same views.
I think this is what Janice/Cal are striving for. It's more important to them than winning

Mr teX

Hall of Fame

Goal of winning a SB? That’s like saying your goal in running your own business is to make alot of money and be successful…IOW’s, that’s everyone’s goal and it’s vague as hell.

How you plan to get there…and In what capacity is where most get lost. & as a leader you have to be able to articulate that down to the details. What you will do. What you won’t do. And you have to stick to it & hold those under you accountable to it. It is the foundation of every successful business as outlined in their investor relations/corporate responsibility mission statements. Of course as fans, most could care less about all that, but there are many that do.

And at the end of the day, I’m not even sure what you’re asserting is even accurate about the Texans & going further “religion” is already entrenched in every NFL organization. Most teams after every game get together and pray to give thanks for no one getting seriously hurt during the game…& when 1 of them IS seriously injured and/or carted of, you see a lot of those guys on 1 knee praying for the injured player.

Let’s not single out the Texans for offering another opportunity to players to exercise their American right. I’m fairly certain that none of that is being made a condition of employment by the McNairs anyway nor do I believe they are putting that above competition g at the highest level.

Texansballer74

The Marine
Goal of winning a SB? That’s like saying your goal in running your own business is to make alot of money and be successful…IOW’s, that’s everyone’s goal and it’s vague as hell.

How you plan to get there…and In what capacity is where most get lost. & as a leader you have to be able to articulate that down to the details. What you will do. What you won’t do. And you have to stick to it & hold those under you accountable to it. It is the foundation of every successful business as outlined in their investor relations/corporate responsibility mission statements. Of course as fans, most could care less about all that, but there are many that do.

And at the end of the day, I’m not even sure what you’re asserting is even accurate about the Texans & going further “religion” is already entrenched in every NFL organization. Most teams after every game get together and pray to give thanks for no one getting seriously hurt during the game…& when 1 of them IS seriously injured and/or carted of, you see a lot of those guys on 1 knee praying for the injured player.

Let’s not single out the Texans for offering another opportunity to players to exercise their American right. I’m fairly certain that none of that is being made a condition of employment by the McNairs anyway nor do I believe they are putting that above competition g at the highest level.
Exactly

People have painted a really bad picture of Easterby. That’s one of the reasons why the Texans are getting so much backlash.

Just the other day I had a heated conversation with my buddy. He was going all in on Easterby. So I asked him what exactly did he do wrong. He continues to say he lied on his resume. And that he is destroying the Texans. I’m like dude this organization been going through the crazy crap way before Easterby.

amazing80

Hall of Fame

lol say what you want man, but over the past year ex-players are calling out the culture within the doors. Sure they don't give exact details, but it seems like connecting the dots shouldn't be so hard.

Giving players the space to have prayer, or whatever else they need is reasonable and what every franchise does. Making it the number 1 priority and involving it in every aspect of the business is not what other organizations do, and for good reason.

Not sure if you have ever made a business plan, but not a single one I have ever seen or been a part of involves how they can incorporate religion into their business decisions.

Outlining defined roles and what you look for in a leader is great. But having the first bullet point be, they must be religious and fit in with my beliefs, should not be the case.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
The Texans have always been this way since their inception. Long before Easterby, time for you to realize the truth
The McNair's have always valued character. But not at the expense of talent. Examples of that is KJax over the other corners in that draft. JjWatt over Aldon Smith (they decided not to trade up to get Smith). Even Hopkins over the other WRs of that class (even though they were mistaken about his character).

The McNairs have always been aboui the money
The McNair's have been better at making money than winning games.

But they've spent & are spending a lot of money trying to win. More times than not they are all over the salary cap.

It was only recently that the character thing got out of whack. Paying Martin like a top 5 Center & not even trying to keep Brooks or Jones (the paying Martin is the time I'm talking about). Pay Whitney like way above his talent or production would suggest (I have to imagine it was because of his character).

Hopkins trade was more about character.

Hopefully those decisions are behind us, but the point is over valuing character has not always been the McNair way.

Texansballer74

The Marine
The McNair's have always valued character. But not at the expense of talent. Examples of that is KJax over the other corners in that draft. JjWatt over Aldon Smith (they decided not to trade up to get Smith). Even Hopkins over the other WRs of that class (even though they were mistaken about his character).

But they've spent & are spending a lot of money trying to win. More times than not they are all over the salary cap.

It was only recently that the character thing got out of whack. Paying Martin like a top 5 Center & not even trying to keep Brooks or Jones (the paying Martin is the time I'm talking about). Pay Whitney like way above his talent or production would suggest (I have to imagine it was because of his character).

Hopefully those decisions are behind us, but the point is over valuing character has not always been the McNair way.
Spot on

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Exactly

People have painted a really bad picture of Easterby. That’s one of the reasons why the Texans are getting so much backlash.

Just the other day I had a heated conversation with my buddy. He was going all in on Easterby. So I asked him what exactly did he do wrong. He continues to say he lied on his resume. And that he is destroying the Texans. I’m like dude this organization been going through the crazy crap way before Easterby.
So you just gloss over the fact that he was part of all the bad trades and bad contracts, then stabbed the guy he was hand in hand with in all of that in the back?

Yeah, sure, they've been a whack organization for most of, if not all of their existence, but AJ had it right, it's never been as bad as it has since the Pastor walked in the door. This roster has been stripped down to expansion-ish level, and the Pastor had his hand in doing it. I don't give a **** what he is or isn't doing right this minute, as long as this dude is in the building the trust factor for him is less than zero.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

The Not Texans Worthy Motto was in full force long before Cal took over or Easterby entered the building down on Kirby. Yes the McNair's with Bob McNair in charge was cheap. How many premium FA's have the McNair's signed in 20 yrs? Jo Jo/Manning and debatable Os. The Os signing was nothing more than a reactionary signing.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
lol say what you want man, but over the past year ex-players are calling out the culture within the doors. Sure they don't give exact details, but it seems like connecting the dots shouldn't be so hard.

Giving players the space to have prayer, or whatever else they need is reasonable and what every franchise does. Making it the number 1 priority and involving it in every aspect of the business is not what other organizations do, and for good reason.

Not sure if you have ever made a business plan, but not a single one I have ever seen or been a part of involves how they can incorporate religion into their business decisions.

Outlining defined roles and what you look for in a leader is great. But having the first bullet point be, they must be religious and fit in with my beliefs, should not be the case.
none of what you’re asserting is grounded in fact…it’s your opinion and you are very much entitled to that. But you’re overplaying your hand a bit asserting that it’s “the 1st bullet point” or even that it’s a factor at all in how they go about building and selecting their personnel. Players call out organizations and the league at large all the time. Doesn’t always mean it’s truth or it’s even accurate.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
He certainly shouldn’t emphasize his religion over his goal
I think we can only speculate how the McNair's value their religion compared to their goals. There's nothing to suggest one is greater than the other.
Introducing religion in the work place is bound to create tension among employees because not everyone shares the same views.
Religion has been part of sports from the very beginning as far as I can tell. From little league to high-school. Some teams have emphasized it more than others. But every team I've been a part of, or my daughters, or my nephews There's at least a small prayer group.

Not everyone is forced to participate. But it's there if you want
It’s stupid they are involving it to the level they are within the building
I don't know they've involved religion to a higher degree than any other team.

When I went to the games, I'd stay to the very end & then some, letting the parking lot let out. I often saw members of other teams gather & pray before the game or after the game.

I never saw the Texans doing this. Some players would join the other team in prayer, but I never saw a bunch of Texans lead the prayer

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
So you just gloss over the fact that he was part of all the bad trades and bad contracts, then stabbed the guy he was hand in hand with in all of that in the back?

Yeah, sure, they've been a whack organization for most of, if not all of their existence, but AJ had it right, it's never been as bad as it has since the Pastor walked in the door. This roster has been stripped down to expansion-ish level, and the Pastor had his hand in doing it. I don't give a **** what he is or isn't doing right this minute, as long as this dude is in the building the trust factor for him is less than zero.
When your hero screwed over the Texans org the franchise had to be rebuilt from the ground up. The Texans org from the FO/to the on field product needed to be rebuilt. There was all kinds of crap going on that needed to be cleaned up. Dont believe me? Look at the sexual harrassment lawsuits that were filed against the FO personnel and that doesn't even take into account the crap the Clemson trash was doing.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame

but can we really blame the McNairs for that? Seemed more like that was more BoB/Easterby in over their heads as the GM than the McNairs mandating some choir boy / religious policy folks are asserting.

Texansballer74

The Marine

Dude that crap was very bad way before the pastor stepped in the building. Started with Kubiak going against the owners word. To the power struggles between Bill O’Brien and Rick Smith. And who in their right mind would give a darn inexperienced HC GM powers?

Why do you think the pastor was hired? They been had off the field issues that needed to clean up. And that was way before this Watson drama and way before the pastor. The crazy thing is none of this was spewed out until Watson’s nonsense. AJ was ticked off because the Pastor was spying on Watson after he learned about the off the field issues. I’m pretty sure they told Watson to clean it up but he continued. That’s why he put out that nasty message about Cal not being loyal.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Outlining defined roles and what you look for in a leader is great. But having the first bullet point be, they must be religious and fit in with my beliefs, should not be the case
You're upset about a lie you've told yourself.

Unless you've seen this document & first bullet point.

I don't know if Lovie is a religious man. Nothing I've seen suggests it. Same with Kamah Grugier-Hill or Kirksey, or Desmond King, or Tavierre Thomas, or any of the players.

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.
You're upset about a lie you've told yourself.

Unless you've seen this document & first bullet point.

I don't know if Lovie is a religious man. Nothing I've seen suggests it. Same with Kamah Grugier-Hill or Kirksey, or Desmond King, or Tavierre Thomas, or any of the players.

Are you suggesting this team doesn't favor high character religious types?