Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans Conference Call

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Oh I'm still going to watch and root for the team. I'm just not going to live and die by the outcome of games like I have in the past. I'm not going to let the stupid decisions or pitiful performance of this team f up my day or week.

O'Brien is going to do what he always does and there's no reason to believe otherwise.

At some point around December I'm going to stop rooting for the boat and cheer for the iceberg.
Been there since 35-3 in Buffalo. I will say that OB has even further removed my fandom. I'm rarely posting on here these days. Simply nothing constructive to talk about.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
It’s been a long time since the Adams days, but IIRC there was more to that stadium deal going bust than Adams greed. I’m happy that McNail brought football back to Houston, but it seems to have cost a lot more that what Adams wanted. But thanks for the enclosed stadium.

Sorry, but shiny new stadium and ever changing ticket prices, yet losing year after year sucks. 18 years is a long time to not at least make an appearance in a division championship.

I realize I’m a fine one to offer an opinion, but in my heart of hearts do believe that Jerry really wants to win but either letting a great coach walk or staying loyal to one who should have been gone years ago. Given the shiny new wonder of all stadiums, through it all I appreciate that he hasn’t put his foot on his fans necks by raising ticket prices annually.
Well said. There was a lot more to the Bud Adams moving story than meets the eye, but only those with no agenda and a desire for the actual truth seek it out.

The rest have angles so they spin the simpleton story: Bud was greedy, the end.

The truth is that, yes he was greedy (LIKE EVERY SPORTS TEAM OWNER), but he was ultimately conned by Mayor Lanier and Drayton McLane. Bud realized this later and admitted his biggest regret was not calling McLane's bluff to move the Astros. Bud was always an outsider in Houston, and the power elite in this city used it against him to ultimately get what they wanted: shiny new stadiums for everyone!

And McNair was far from benevolent. His ties to the Enron scandal and Ken Lay being one of the Texans minority owners makes the speculation obvious. The NFL was an investment opportunity that was a guaranteed profit due to revenue sharing. He wasn't taking any risks bringing a franchise to Houston. His 'Uncle Bob' public perception was highly cultivated by the marketing department and local sports media that had a financial incentive (which has never asked tough questions of this ownership in 18 seasons).

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Well said. There was a lot more to the Bud Adams moving story than meets the eye, but only those with no agenda and a desire for the actual truth seek it out.

The rest have angles so they spin the simpleton story: Bud was greedy, the end.

The truth is that, yes he was greedy (LIKE EVERY SPORTS TEAM OWNER), but he was ultimately conned by Mayor Lanier and Drayton McLane. Bud realized this later and admitted his biggest regret was not calling McLane's bluff to move the Astros. Bud was always an outsider in Houston, and the power elite in this city used it against him to ultimately get what they wanted: shiny new stadiums for everyone!

And McNair was far from benevolent. His ties to the Enron scandal and Ken Lay being one of the Texans minority owners makes the speculation obvious. The NFL was an investment opportunity that was a guaranteed profit due to revenue sharing. He wasn't taking any risks bringing a franchise to Houston. His 'Uncle Bob' public perception was highly cultivated by the marketing department and local sports media that had a financial incentive (which has never asked tough questions of this ownership in 18 seasons).
Well apparently the guaranteed profit with NFL revenue sharing wasn't enough to convince others in his tax bracket to bring football back to Houston for 10+ years. Dude also dropped 700 mil of his own money while paying 160 million over the premium to ensure we would get the nod. Those same guys in his tax bracket? Yeah they said &^%$ that too.. so apparently there was a helluva lot more risk to it than us poor folk care to acknowledge.

Don't care if you're Bobby Axelrod, putting up that kind of jack is risky unto itself....guaranteed profit not withstanding.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Well apparently the guaranteed profit with NFL revenue sharing wasn't enough to convince others in his tax bracket to bring football back to Houston for 10+ years. Dude also dropped 700 mil of his own money while paying 160 million over the premium to ensure we would get the nod. Those same guys in his tax bracket? Yeah they said &^%$ that too.. so apparently there was a helluva lot more risk to it than us poor folk care to acknowledge.

Don't care if you're Bobby Axelrod, putting up that kind of jack is risky unto itself....guaranteed profit not withstanding.
McNair took advantage of the owners greed.

He then turned into one of those types of owners. Then he taught his son his ways as his last act before passing on to the other side.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club

10+ years? You might want to recheck your math. :um:

Houston Oilers last season in H-town was 1996. First game at Reliant was 2002. In that time, a team was formed (October 1999 - less than 3 YEARS), colors and logo and uniforms created, coaches, front office and players hired in place....and, oh yeah, a billion dollar stadium was approved, financed by taxpayers, and built (groundbreaking in March 2000 - that would be less than 4 YEARS, btw).

Less than 6 years, dude, from last Oilers game to first Texans game in a new stadium . December 1996 to August 2002.

Houston was not going to go without an NFL team for long. Did you know Bud Adams helped Bob McNair get a team? And McNair was not the only ownership group trying to bring a team here. There was guaranteed profits in those hills.

p.s. Bob made ALL of his investment back within the first decade. The $700 million price seems steep, but the team’s value quadrupled to $2.8 billion at the time of McNair’s death.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
10+ years? You might want to recheck your math. :um:

Houston Oilers last season in H-town was 1996. First game at Reliant was 2002. In that time, a team was formed (October 1999 - less than 3 YEARS), colors and logo and uniforms created, coaches, front office and players hired in place....and, oh yeah, a billion dollar stadium was approved, financed by taxpayers, and built (groundbreaking in March 2000 - that would be less than 4 YEARS, btw).

Less than 6 years, dude, from last Oilers game to first Texans game in a new stadium . December 1996 to August 2002.

Houston was not going to go without an NFL team for long. Did you know Bud Adams helped Bob McNair get a team? And McNair was not the only ownership group trying to bring a team here. There was guaranteed profits in those hills.

p.s. Bob made ALL of his investment back within the first decade. The $700 million price seems steep, but the team’s value quadrupled to $2.8 billion at the time of McNair’s death.
Most of what you’re saying is spot on......but it’s also mostly irrelevant. The underlying fact remains is he is the one who did it, not any other ownership group that was “trying”. And ok so the value of the team quadrupled. If it was such a slam dunk of an investment those others that were trying should’ve been falling over themselves to bring a franchise back to Houston. No matter how u slice that, he was willing to pony up in a major way when others were trying to figure out how they were gonna try to get it as cheap as they could.

Yes, the dude was a millionaire hundreds of times over so of course he knew he was gonna be making money hand over fist if he got an NFL franchise here. But I believe too that the dude also cared about the city & that combined with the fact that he was willing to way overbid for the rights to bring a team here to this city are probably 2 of the biggest 3 reasons Adams, a resident of the city, decided to help him achieve that.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Most of what you’re saying is spot on......but it’s also mostly irrelevant. The underlying fact remains is he is the one who did it, not any other ownership group that was “trying”. And ok so the value of the team quadrupled. If it was such a slam dunk of an investment those others that were trying should’ve been falling over themselves to bring a franchise back to Houston. No matter how u slice that, he was willing to pony up in a major way when others were trying to figure out how they were gonna try to get it as cheap as they could.

Yes, the dude was a millionaire hundreds of times over so of course he knew he was gonna be making money hand over fist if he got an NFL franchise here. But I believe too that the dude also cared about the city & that combined with the fact that he was willing to way overbid for the rights to bring a team here to this city are probably 2 of the biggest 3 reasons Adams, a resident of the city, decided to help him achieve that.
True

But the McNairs have always put profit over putting the best product possible on the field

zshawn10

All Pro
BOB's presser today:

O'Brien: "Everybody involved with the Houston Texans is excited about where we're at. … Team effort." O'Brien saying the focus will always be on the team. #Texans
— SportsRadio 610 (@SportsRadio610) April 16, 2020
OB says "having a room full of productive of players" is what they are looking for on their roster. #Texans
— patrick (@PatDStat) April 16, 2020

O'Brien referencing not getting past the second round. "Our staff is more convinced than ever that we must have layers … of players who are [dedicated] to getting beyond that." #Texans
"We have two receivers who have played in January and February." OB on Cobb and Cooks.

Call the roster incomplete.#Texans
#Texans O'Brien-"If you look back to last July/August, I don't think many thought some of the moves we made would've worked out the way they worked out." Cites Hydes' 1000 yd season, Martin's big sack & Duke Johnson's huge 3rd down conversion in Buffalo game. Conley making plays
— Adam Wexler (@AdamJWexler) April 16, 2020
O'Brien said the #Texans "tried very hard" to keep D.J. Reader.
— Cody Stoots (@Cody_Stoots) April 16, 2020
OB labeled this the "Deshaun Watson Era" when talking about the #Texans.
#Texans HC/GM Bill O’Brien: "We have more Pro Bowlers, more players that have played in Super Bowls and we are in a good place relative to where we are in the season."
— Landry Locker (@LandryLocker) April 16, 2020
https://twitter.com/LandryLocker/status/1250818775877853186?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw
#Texans HC/GM Bill O’Brien: Praises Hopkins, says relative to contracts and salary it made sense. Says they got a great deal with Arizona and is excited about David Johnson, expects Nuk to do well in Arizona.
O'Brien: "I don't think you replace Hopkins. Every year is different. This year's offense will be totally different than last year's offense … We feel really good offensively right now with our personnel and what we're going to be able to do." #Texans
#Texans HC/GM Bill O’Brien: Calls David Johnson a three-down back and says he’s had many productive years.
On Hopkins trade: #Texans O’Brien says we made a "really good deal." Respect for Hop is apparent but also likes 40th pick in addition to Johnson at RB.
— Greg Bailey (@GregBailey13) April 16, 2020
O'Brien referencing that a long-term deal with Hopkins and Cardinals seems imminent: "They're going to have to adjust his contract in Arizona. I think you'll see that whenever that ends up happening."#Texans
#Texans coach Bill O'Brien says there are four ways to build a team: free agency, offseason trades, the draft, training camp (joint practices), pre-trade deadline.
— Mark Lane (@therealmarklane) April 16, 2020
O'Brien: "I truly believe this is a veteran type of year." Said it will be more challenging than normal for rookies and young players, because of coronavirus-related time restrictions. #Texans
— Brian T. Smith (@ChronBrianSmith) April 16, 2020
OB calls his WR group a "diverse" one. Talks about all of them including Keke Coutee and DeAndre Carter. #Texans
#Texans O’Brien on Cooks: he brings a lot. Speed and yards per catch. Knows about concussions but notes he’s only missed two games because of them.

#Texans coach Bill O'Brien says he thinks they can add someone at safety in the draft.
#Texans O’Brien notes defensive line as a potential draft need. Feels good about group but notes losing Reader. Can’t replace him with a rookie says the coach.

O'Brien: "You're not going to draft on need. you're doing to draft on the best player for your team when you're drafting at that pick." #Texans
When asked on needs, O'Brien referenced defensive line and safety. "There's not one specific need. There's several." #Texans
O'Brien on Watson/Virtual learning: " you have to have guys that have understanding how to work and what it takes. you can still teach until we can get together. We'll start offseason April 27. #Texans
— Randy McIlvoy (@KPRC2RandyMc) April 16, 2020
#Texans coach Bill O'Brien says Brandin Cooks, Randall Cobb have been in similar systems to the Houston offense.
#Texans O'Brien mentions his long-standing relationship with Cardinals Steve Keim (going back to Penn St) in discussions about Johnson's injury status. That he felt good about their "good faith" negotiations. Johnson passed his physical yesterday with "flying colors" O'Brien said
— Adam Wexler (@AdamJWexler) April 16, 2020
O'Brien said there were about 150-200 phone calls involved in the trade that brought Laremy Tunsil to Houston. #Texans
O'Brien says the staff uses analytics heavily from "prediction of an injury, value of a trade, value of a contract relative to the player / market." #Texans

Press conference on-going: https://t.co/37ir8PfGJL

zshawn10

All Pro
O'Brien says the Cooks trade was done from his back porch, with Jack Easterby by his side. Referenced many phone calls and e-mails. #Texans
O'Brien mentions the #Texans use Russell Joyner, the Director of Football Information Systems, to help predict and research players, contracts, and more.

Mentions Kevin Krajcovic helping a lot with contracts.
— Cody Stoots (@Cody_Stoots) April 16, 2020
O’Brien: "You see fans who are upset that DeAndre is not here anymore … but that move was done with relevance for what’s best for our football team heading into next year." #Texans
#Texans players are doing FaceTime with the head strength and conditioning coach, according to O’Brien. He reference Nick Martin’s garage weight room at his house.
O'Brien on CB position: "Excited about secondary, we are a diverse group. Roby has versatility he brings inside/outside, man, zone. Last year traded for Conley. Lonnie Johnson is doing a great job." #Texans
— Randy McIlvoy (@KPRC2RandyMc) April 16, 2020
O’Brien credited analytics/salary cap/video crew with key participation in organization’s overhaul in last year. Affects trades, signings, draft, etc.
#Texans
#Texans coach Bill O'Brien says Eric Murray has played corner and Jaylen Watkins has played nickel. "They're not just safeties."
O’Brien asked if he talked to Deshaun Watson about Hopkins: "Any conversation, with all due respect, I keep between myself and the player. I’ll say we communicated a lot with Deshaun during this time. He’s doing a great job of working out, staying in shape." #Texans
The #Texans coordinators and position coaches are submitting their ranked prospect lists to O’Brien saying that his coordinators have "had a lot of input in the draft".
O’Brien won’t talk about specific conversations with Deshaun regarding Hopkins trade. But says they’ve "communicated a lot." Adds Deshaun is excited with new look offense. #Texans
O’Brien was asked by @McClain_on_NFL about the Michael Irvin report that mentioned a conversation between Hopkins and O’Brien in which he compared Hop to Aaron Hernandez. O’Brien’s response: "No comment." #Texans #NFL
— Tyler Milner (@tmilrealdeal) April 16, 2020
O'Brien asked about TE Kahale Warring. Says he's really excited about his future, "he's a hardworking talent … and I think he's going to be a real talent for us." #Texans
O’Brien says they’re "working hard on trying to get a deal done" for Laremy Tunsel. #Texans
OB says finding a trade partner willing to pay DeAndre Hopkins was a big part of the deal. #Texans
#Texans coach Bill O'Brien says he tells fans "to let it all play out" relative to the DeAndre Hopkins trade or any of their offseason moves. "Let's review it a year from now, two years from now, three years from now."
"I do think it is difficult for a receiver to come in a play in this difficult situation." OB on the WR rookie class. #Texans
O'Brien says it's a good versatile group of wide receivers in this draft class. "We may draft a receiver, who knows. If that's what's best for our team." #Texans
#Texans coach Bill O'Brien says he's not concerned about the technology surrounding the NFL draft. In fact, they will have a mock draft next week so all 32 teams can rehearse it.
Why trade Hopkins after contract demand? O’Brien says you can’t pay elite QB, elite tackle, elite defensive end and then more. #Texans

Uncle Rico

Ur apology should be as loud as Ur disrespect was
Typical OBrien half truths and coach speak for the most part - these two bullet points stand out the most to me:

O'Brien referencing that a long-term deal with Hopkins and Cardinals seems imminent: "They're going to have to adjust his contract in Arizona. I think you'll see that whenever that ends up happening."#Texans
this should tell you about his egomaniacal approach and just how houghty the idiot is. Not only has he been lambasted for the ridiculous short end of the stick on virtually every single move he has done, but the man has the audacity to try and get into the board room of another franchise who is trending higher than his own team? Ridiculous

Icing on the cake???

O'Brien says the staff uses analytics heavily from "prediction of an injury, value of a trade, value of a contract relative to the player / market." #Texans

Press conference on-going: https://t.co/37ir8PfGJL
this is patently false. Houston has ONE - ONE!! Metrics guy on staff, this is hot air and grasping from NoBrien because if this were true the actual playcalling on the field would have been different and it would have been harder for teams to track down and tendency with his offense. Even further exasperated when he starts trying to apply a "formula" to prediction of injury and value of trades and contract??? This is really pathetic!! Dude has convinced himself he's the smartest man in the World. LOL.

zshawn10

All Pro
Didnt Kliff Kingsbury say Hopkins deal came together very fast? BOB says 100 calls.
That would be fastest 100 calls in history. W/ new CBA = no holdouts good to see BOB exercising patience – he couldn’t get rid of Hop fast enough. This quote very telling on many levels #Texans https://t.co/fRmsYUH6ly
— PCreight (@PCreighton1) April 16, 2020
Pretty clear OB and the #Texans philosophy when it comes to contracts. Pay top-end talent at QB, LT and Edge then the rest falls in line.

Texansballer74

The Marine
Typical OBrien half truths and coach speak for the most part - these two bullet points stand out the most to me:

this should tell you about his egomaniacal approach and just how houghty the idiot is. Not only has he been lambasted for the ridiculous short end of the stick on virtually every single move he has done, but the man has the audacity to try and get into the board room of another franchise who is trending higher than his own team? Ridiculous

Icing on the cake???

this is patently false. Houston has ONE - ONE!! Metrics guy on staff, this is hot air and grasping from NoBrien because if this were true the actual playcalling on the field would have been different and it would have been harder for teams to track down and tendency with his offense. Even further exasperated when he starts trying to apply a "formula" to prediction of injury and value of trades and contract??? This is really pathetic!! Dude has convinced himself he's the smartest man in the World. LOL.
He also said other young players coming up will want to get paid. Basically telling the Cardinals to take note of that.

paraphrasing of course.

banned1976

sleeper mode
He’s saying have patience “this year...and 2 or 3 years” for his vision of what a football team should look like. Frankly, I’m out of patience.

The thing is, new fans are born every year. As long as ownership is “patient”, it doesn’t matter how long us “old timers” have waited for a super bowl. We don’t count.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
He’s saying have patience “this year...and 2 or 3 years” for his vision of what a football team should look like. Frankly, I’m out of patience.

The thing is, new fans are born every year. As long as ownership is “patient”, it doesn’t matter how long us “old timers” have waited for a super bowl. We don’t count.
I get this.

But atleast he's cleaning up the mess that was left for him. He probably will be fired before the entire mess is cleaned up. But things will be left much better for the next HC.

I see BOB as a janitor.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club

What is clearly irrelevant is the seemingly perpetual white knight fairy-tale that Bob McNair acted out of the kindness of his heart to bring the NFL back to Houston.

Hey, nice story, but let's be real, it was a investment opportunity with no risk.

He was the first to pony up, but he wasn't the only group putting together a plan. McNair had inside connections with Bob Lanier and other Houston power brokers, so he was able to leverage it within a matter of 18-24 months, but obviously nothing even remotely close to the 10+ years that you mentioned.

I get being the Defender of the Logo and all, and more power to you. I just didn't realize that it also extended blanket coverage to defend the virtuous nature of Bob the Billionaire, too.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
I’m not talking about O’Brien the HC, I’m talking about O’Brien the GM that is creating a financial mess along with a draft pick deficit.

This is not a normal situation we will be left in once O’Brien the GM/HC/OC/Waterboy is fired.
Totally normal dude. When an incumbent GM is fired, the HC is usually fired within a season. The reverse is also true. The only real difference here with us is when we fire off that shot at BoB, we will kill 2 birds with 1 stone. The GM and HC are pretty much tied to the hip whether they're both fired at the same time or not.

& if BoB is fired after this year going into 2021 with no 1st or 2nd & the incoming GM can't hack it 1 year b/c of that, he probably wasn't a good hire to begin with.

dream_team

Hall of Fame
Obrien is leaving a mess that will take years to cleanup.
That's what I'm thinking as well. BOB is going all in. Which makes sense, since he's on the hot-seat as well as DW still on his rookie contract.

With that being said, if he doesn't show improvement over the next two seasons, he'll be fired and the incoming regime will have a tough time cleaning up the mess. The good news is he should have a franchise QB & solid OL to build upon. Unfortunately, every other position group will have to be re-built. Unless BOB can smash these two upcoming drafts, but will be tough w/o 1st round picks.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
What is clearly irrelevant is the seemingly perpetual white knight fairy-tale that Bob McNair acted out of the kindness of his heart to bring the NFL back to Houston.

Hey, nice story, but let's be real, it was a investment opportunity with no risk.

He was the first to pony up, but he wasn't the only group putting together a plan. McNair had inside connections with Bob Lanier and other Houston power brokers, so he was able to leverage it within a matter of 18-24 months, but obviously nothing even remotely close to the 10+ years that you mentioned.

I get being the Defender of the Logo and all, and more power to you. I just didn't realize that it also extended blanket coverage to defend the virtuous nature of Bob the Billionaire, too.
Yes i was off on those time frames....10 years...6 years....Does it really matter? The point is, he ponied up and he did so with his own money when all those other groups you keep mentioning....whomever they were failed in that same time frame. & that the work he did put in wasn't just in getting the blessing of the Houston power brokers. Those other owners.....yeah they needed to figure out how their beak was gonna continue to get wet too. & just seeing as Jerry Jones is the only NFL owner who opted out of the NFL revenue sharing deal so that he could horde all the revenues garnered from the sale of Cowboys merch to himself, you think he was keen on introducing another NFL franchise back here in Texas? You think none of that glad handing and ass kissing with no guarantee of anything didn't come at a cost (risk) to that man's own pocketbook? Think again.

You're basically bashing the guy b/c he had the means and connects to take advantage of an opportunity that those others didn't. Not his fault & again its irrelevant anyway. ......unless you were 1 of those who bought the "white knight" narrative that was pumped out as the only & most prominent narrative.

Hell, the very fact that you're calling it an "investment" opportunity implies the risk....no matter how supposedly "guaranteed" the profits are. Then when you take into account that owning an NFL team for alot of these fat cats is a side "hobby" that can threaten their other more established businesses you introduce another layer of exposure that guys in his position simply don't have to be exposed to.

Fact is, my stance on this has nothing to do with "defending the logo" & everything to do with acknowledging all the variables. Dude put his money where his mouth was & he paid over premium to do it HERE & imo, I can respect that & we can just agree to disagree brother.

banned1976

sleeper mode
790 has been going over BoB’s comments this morning. From listening to him speaking and them breaking it down it sounds like he traded Hopkins to the team he felt could afford Hopkins’ new deal. Why should he care about what another team can afford in future contracts?

It’s really infuriating.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
...just seeing as Jerry Jones is the only NFL owner who opted out of the NFL revenue sharing deal so that he could horde all the revenues garnered from the sale of Cowboys merch to himself, you think he was keen on introducing another NFL franchise back here in Texas?
If you think Houston would've been granted a expansion franchise without Jones' approval, you know zilch about the history of the Texans.

banned1976

sleeper mode

"I think the best thing I can tell the fans is to please--because I know the media's job is to evaluate right away, I get that, I have a lot of respect for the media, I've always said that, but I think we need to let it all play out. Let it play out. Let the whole thing play out, whether it's that trade (Hopkins) or anything else that we've done. I'd say lets review it in a year from now, two years from now, three years from now. Let's let it all play out."

Y'all cool with waiting until 2023 before we evaluate the job he's done as GM? Seems reasonable. He's only had his finger print all over this team since 2014. Even if his voice wasn't the only one in the war room like it is now, as HC he ultimately decided who played and who sat on the bench. In at least that way he has steered this team, but you'd have to either be (A) the raging O'Brien homer; (B) completely naive or ignorant to how most NFL teams, including this one, operates when it comes to player personnel standpoint; (C) purposely obtuse about the matter. O'Brien is being obtuse almost every time he talks to the media. "Golly, I couldn't challenge a call with 2 minutes left in the game." Yeah, but you could have called a time out, coach. "It's not my job." I expect a response on that one from the letter (A)'s above and those responses will likely be from the (C) category.

BTW, I call total BS on the notion O'Brien has respect for the media.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
If you think Houston would've been granted a expansion franchise without Jones' approval, you know zilch about the history of the Texans.
Uhhh...That’s my point. Jerry had a monopoly on the state of Texas football in terms of....well, everything...especially around that time with the cowboys still riding the tail end of that wave from those 3 championships.

So Introducing another team into Texas that could potentially encroach on his cowboys merch sales was not exactly in his best interest and his influence could’ve provided strong sway against McNair if he wasn’t on board.

It’s also well known that McNair was trying to break into the sports scene and do it here in Houston. Before the Texans dude tried to bring Hockey here and had he not won the bid for the Texans, he probably tries to do that again...Point is he was trying to be a sports owner HERE.

The guy had been here since the 60’s...he raised his family here.....I'm sure he’d made a lot of business contacts here..he was pretty much a Houstonian thru and thru and I’m sure he knew what football meant to Houstonians. I’m also fairly sure it’s why his fellow billionaire Houstonian Bud Adams decided to help him land the franchise here.

I say all that to say that the narrative of him bringing football back to Houston for reasons other than “an investment opportunity” isn’t entirely BS. How much credence you wanna give to that is on you.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
I say all that to say that the narrative of him bringing football back to Houston for reasons other than “an investment opportunity” isn’t entirely BS. How much credence you wanna give to that is on you.
Owning a sports franchise, especially an NFL franchise, is the ultimate ego stroke for a billionaire. Remember how hard Trump tried to get into the NFL, but failed? Owning an NFL team is how a billionaire shows he's made it. Both in terms of money and prestige.

Someone had to pony up the money, and McNair made it happen. He fought extremely hard to get football back in Houston. I was always grateful for that, no matter the missteps later. That gratitude does not extend to his mollycoddled son.

Last edited:

banned1976

sleeper mode
Owning a sports franchise, especially an NFL franchise, is the ultimate ego stroke for a billionaire. Remember how hard Trump tried to get into the NFL, but failed? Owning an NFL team is how a billionaire shows he's made it. Both in terms of money and prestige.

Someone had to pony up the money, and McNair made it happen. He fought extremely hard to get football back in Houston. I was always grateful for that, no matter the misstep laters. That gratitude does not extend to his mollycoddled son.
Same with Mark Cuban, he’s wanted to own an NFL franchise. Probably even more so now.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame

Someone had to pony up the money, and McNair made it happen. He fought extremely hard to get football back in Houston. I was always grateful for that, no matter the misstep laters. That gratitude does not extend to his mollycoddled son.
Lol

Earl34

Hall of Fame
Speaking of Enron. I listened to a podcast today and they covered the Bob McNair and Enron angle. They also said, O'Brien is running the Texans like Jeff Skilling ran Enron.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Speaking of Enron. I listened to a podcast today and they covered the Bob McNair and Enron angle. They also said, O'Brien is running the Texans like Jeff Skilling ran Enron.
I would love to hear that podcast.

Got a link?

DBCooper

Outlaw
Contributor's Club

"I think the best thing I can tell the fans is to please--because I know the media's job is to evaluate right away, I get that, I have a lot of respect for the media, I've always said that, but I think we need to let it all play out. Let it play out. Let the whole thing play out, whether it's that trade (Hopkins) or anything else that we've done. I'd say lets review it in a year from now, two years from now, three years from now. Let's let it all play out."

Y'all cool with waiting until 2023 before we evaluate the job he's done as GM? Seems reasonable. He's only had his finger print all over this team since 2014. Even if his voice wasn't the only one in the war room like it is now, as HC he ultimately decided who played and who sat on the bench. In at least that way he has steered this team, but you'd have to either be (A) the raging O'Brien homer; (B) completely naive or ignorant to how most NFL teams, including this one, operates when it comes to player personnel standpoint; (C) purposely obtuse about the matter. O'Brien is being obtuse almost every time he talks to the media. "Golly, I couldn't challenge a call with 2 minutes left in the game." Yeah, but you could have called a time out, coach. "It's not my job." I expect a response on that one from the letter (A)'s above and those responses will likely be from the (C) category.

BTW, I call total BS on the notion O'Brien has respect for the media.
So now we have wait until year 10 of a 3 more year rebuild?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
So now we have wait until year 10 of a 3 more year rebuild?
If only BOB had been running the personnel side of things those yrs. Truth is Cal knows who was running the show and showed him the door and gave BOB a chance to do things the way he wanted to do things all of those yrs.

It may work out or it may not but atleast now we know who's running this show.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member

Full Transcript of pre-draft conference call
Warning: Do not attempt to play a drinking game where everyone takes a shot after O'Brien says the word "Zoom." People will die.

If you think you will feel better about this offseason after reading this transcript...you're wrong. If you suffer from hypertension, irritable bowel syndrome, or Tourette's, consult your doctor before reading. On the plus side, you will learn the name of everyone in the Texans organization. Not sure if that's to share the blame for the ensuing failure, or what.

mussop

Hall of Fame
I get this.

But atleast he's cleaning up the mess that was left for him. He probably will be fired before the entire mess is cleaned up. But things will be left much better for the next HC.

I see BOB as a janitor.
He helped build that mess. This is crazy. He’s had six years to build and mold this team to his liking and now all the sudden we’re supposed to just forget that because NOW he is changing the culture, again.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
He helped build that mess. This is crazy. He’s had six years to build and mold this team to his liking and now all the sudden we’re supposed to just forget that because NOW he is changing the culture, again.
Depends on if you think he was the one getting the talent to build the team. Cal's actions say he wasn't the one getting the talent.