Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans Conference Call

Texansballer74

The Marine
And what happens if they are 13-0 or something like that in December? I'm not saying that it will happen but it could... this is the NFL. Who would have thought that the Pats would have beat the Falcons in the SB for example
With this tough ash schedule I highly doubt it. But if they do, point me in the direction of the stewed crow. Lol

Last edited:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
You just called me out my name. Lol did you call me Ricky Smith. Come on you can do much better than that.
How did that post call you out by name?

If I did so then I apologize. I didn't mean to be rude but I just pointed out our differences in that post. I certainly didn't mean to offend you in any way.

Reactions: JB

Texansballer74

The Marine
How did that post call you out by name?

If I did so then I apologize. I didn't mean to be rude but I just pointed out our differences in that post. I certainly didn't mean to offend you in any way.

Man that didn’t bother me not one bit. A little name calling doesn’t hurt nobody but the sensitive ones. Now if it’s in a very disrespectful manner. Well

austins23

Hall of Fame
And what happens if they are 13-0 or something like that in December? I'm not saying that it will happen but it could... this is the NFL. Who would have thought that the Pats would have beat the Falcons in the SB for example
Then they will lose the last 4 games because the AFCS will have been clinched and OB wants to rest his players.
Then they will get wiped out in the WC game because of the 4 game rest.
wash, rinse, repeat.
“AFCS Champs Brian!”

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Then they will lose the last 4 games because the AFCS will have been clinched and OB wants to rest his players.
Then they will get wiped out in the WC game because of the 4 game rest.
wash, rinse, repeat.
“AFCS Champs Brian!”
Didn't happen this last year.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
So..... a “GM” has a player under contract for the next 3 years, gets word that this player (who is one of the best at his position and an asset to the team) wants more money.

So to show this player who’s large and in charge you trade this player for a ham sandwich creating more holes for your team.

Said no “gm” ever. (Well, no good GM)

Apparently OB doesn't think he needs great players , he has a great system that can take spare parts and cast offs from other teams and work miracles.

I really can't comprehend how Cal gave the GM keys to this guy after the terrible deals he made last season.

Do they really think they are going to get the last laugh …. because right now the entire league is laughing at them.
Even Brown's fans are laughing ….

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
If McNair wanted to change culture the first thing he'd do is send OB packing.

The reason they haven't is …. cheapa$$e$. They aren't paying OB to go away and paying another coach.
True

It's not just players they're cheap on.

Do you think BOB's getting GM and HC $$$$?

Rookie OC/DC's come cheap. Devlin?

Ceapa$$e$.

But BOB's changing the culture, most just disagree with how he's doing it. After 51-7 I'm not one of those guys. The Clemson/South Carolina thingy wasn't going to work.

Texansballer74

The Marine
Is he really that oblivious ?!

I think OB fans are …. extinct.

Unfortunately yes he is. When he anointed Bill O’Brien the GM duties should’ve sent up that red flag for everyone. Not only that but it should have shown everyone he’s not engaged at all. Joker didn’t even attempt to interview other actual qualified experienced General managers. He also did that with the Defensive coordinator position to.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Unfortunately yes he is. When he anointed Bill O’Brien the GM duties should’ve sent up that red flag for everyone. Not only that but it should have shown everyone he’s not engaged at all. Joker didn’t even attempt to interview other actual qualified experienced General managers. He also did that with the Defensive coordinator position to.
The Texans have never had a competent GM.

Wolf

100% Texan
Well after the whole "caserio incident" ... nevermind the punchline is in the truth over jokes

Just another swing and miss lately. Sadly Cal is seeing this as a foul tip over a flat out miss.

Big Lou

Hall of Fame
I'm in the same lane. Only thing is, my semi apathy to this coming year will probably cause me to keep the NFL Sunday Ticket. That way I can change the channel and watch good offensive football.
You could always leave it on the Texans game for some offensive football, lol!
They took the 3rd rd pick a yr early and higher than what would've been a comp pick. They used the pick for immediate help (Conley) which I thought was a good trade.
Well I would say that O’Brien did somewhat polish a terd, but the pass defense horrible.

Clowney had a down year in Seattle, but he was learning a new scheme yet still had s flashes and was solid in run support.

I guess my take is, keep him for a year make him show the league what he has and still reap a 3rd round pick the following year while not paying let of his salary.

In closing I would say I’m not sad that Clowney is gone, just feel like OB always forces things, he has no patience, and GM’s around the NFL are on to him.

Texazan

Our HOF 34
I'm in the same lane. Only thing is, my semi apathy to this coming year will probably cause me to keep the NFL Sunday Ticket. That way I can change the channel and watch good offensive football.
I rec'd a letter back in Jan from DTV saying that they were giving me Sunday Ticket Max next year (2020 season) for free for my loyalty (lol, yea right) because I had called them twice threatening to cut the cord. I used the R streams all last year and the year before

StarStruck

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Why would they change cities or owners? A team winning or losing doesn’t have anything to do with what city they are in it’s based on how big the market is and Houston has a huge market. Adams changed the oilers because they wouldn’t give him his shiny new stadium in the middle of an oil bust. To speak honest of the dead he was a greedy asshole who was pissed people and the city weren’t spending money they didn’t have just to inflate his ego.

Say what you want about the McNairs but the old man fought tooth and nail to bring football back to Houston and they are making money hand over fist. You people place to much value on winning. If that was the case lots of cities would have lost their teams long ago. As long as that mile long list of people waiting for season tickets is there and those seats are paid for, whether a butt is in them or not, Texans aren’t going any where.
It’s been a long time since the Adams days, but IIRC there was more to that stadium deal going bust than Adams greed. I’m happy that McNail brought football back to Houston, but it seems to have cost a lot more that what Adams wanted. But thanks for the enclosed stadium.

Sorry, but shiny new stadium and ever changing ticket prices, yet losing year after year sucks. 18 years is a long time to not at least make an appearance in a division championship.

I realize I’m a fine one to offer an opinion, but in my heart of hearts do believe that Jerry really wants to win but either letting a great coach walk or staying loyal to one who should have been gone years ago. Given the shiny new wonder of all stadiums, through it all I appreciate that he hasn’t put his foot on his fans necks by raising ticket prices annually.

dream_team

Hall of Fame
You could always leave it on the Texans game for some offensive football, lol!

Well I would say that O’Brien did somewhat polish a terd, but the pass defense horrible.

Clowney had a down year in Seattle, but he was learning a new scheme yet still had s flashes and was solid in run support.

I guess my take is, keep him for a year make him show the league what he has and still reap a 3rd round pick the following year while not paying let of his salary.

In closing I would say I’m not sad that Clowney is gone, just feel like OB always forces things, he has no patience, and GM’s around the NFL are on to him.
Exactly. This is why HCs shouldn't also be GMs. Can only work for a very very small select few that has first proven they do a great job in their original role. You don't take a mediocre head coach and think, "Hmmm... I know what will make him better, give him more power!"

I was ok with trading away Clowney, but you HAVE to get proper value. And if you don't get proper value, KEEP him! Our defense hasn't been this bad in a loooong time. You can't go 51-7 in a playoff game and say, "We didn't need Clowney."

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
Apparently OB doesn't think he needs great players , he has a great system that can take spare parts and cast offs from other teams and work miracles.

I really can't comprehend how Cal gave the GM keys to this guy after the terrible deals he made last season.

Do they really think they are going to get the last laugh …. because right now the entire league is laughing at them.
Even Brown's fans are laughing ….
Chicago loves us, the Hopkins move finally got people to stop pointing at the Trubisky draft as the dumbest move by a GM in modern history.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
Exactly. This is why HCs shouldn't also be GMs. Can only work for a very very small select few that has first proven they do a great job in their original role. You don't take a mediocre head coach and think, "Hmmm... I know what will make him better, give him more power!"

I was ok with trading away Clowney, but you HAVE to get proper value. And if you don't get proper value, KEEP him! Our defense hasn't been this bad in a loooong time. You can't go 51-7 in a playoff game and say, "We didn't need Clowney."
Clowney himself no, a viable option to fill the role and a plan in place to change the defense accordantly, yes. That seems to be one of the biggest issues with the current roster moves, we make big changes but there is no clear candidate to fill the hole left. Fuller, Stills and Cobb sound like a great WR group and on paper they look like a great WR group but when you figure that Fuller has never had a season without an injury, Cobb is past his prime and will be on the wrong side of 30 and even Stills went down last year. Hopkins was often the only constant guy left never mind the best WR of the group. Sometimes the best ability is availability and even in that regard our current guys are falling short.

austins23

Hall of Fame
I rec'd a letter back in Jan from DTV saying that they were giving me Sunday Ticket Max next year (2020 season) for free for my loyalty (lol, yea right) because I had called them twice threatening to cut the cord. I used the R streams all last year and the year before
I call them every year complaining that they charge me full price and new customers get it free. They end up giving me discounts to where I’m getting my expensive Sunday ticket (phone, red zone, etc) for the cheaper Sunday ticket package.

DBCooper

Outlaw
Contributor's Club
Clowney himself no, a viable option to fill the role and a plan in place to change the defense accordantly, yes. That seems to be one of the biggest issues with the current roster moves, we make big changes but there is no clear candidate to fill the hole left. Fuller, Stills and Cobb sound like a great WR group and on paper they look like a great WR group but when you figure that Fuller has never had a season without an injury, Cobb is past his prime and will be on the wrong side of 30 and even Stills went down last year. Hopkins was often the only constant guy left never mind the best WR of the group. Sometimes the best ability is availability and even in that regard our current guys are falling short.
Maybe we can trade a couple of firsts for a guy like the Cardinals Hopkins, that group of receivers might start to look pretty good.

CPTTexan

Waterboy
Probably 3 or 4 more yrs if this doesn't work out. Which I dont expect it to with BOB as HC and DW4 at QB. But I'm willing to atleast give BOB a couple of drafts before I deem this a failure.
Here's what you've never really explained:

Why are you so against the most talented QB this team has ever had, in exchange for being behind an average coach who, in Year 6 was still making the same mistakes he was making in his first year?

Wouldn't it make more sense to keep the ultra talented guy? I guess in your world, average is good enough.

dream_team

Hall of Fame

Why are you so against the most talented QB this team has ever had, in exchange for being behind an average coach who, in Year 6 was still making the same mistakes he was making in his first year?

Wouldn't it make more sense to keep the ultra talented guy? I guess in your world, average is good enough.
To me, it's simple.

In his world... Rick Smith brought in DW4. BOB was chosen over Rick and eventually replaced him. Someone can't have Rick win.

Texansballer74

The Marine

CPT I’ve been trying to understand his reasoning to. All I can come up with is the word HATE. He’s crucifying the youngster for the last 5 games of the season. But O’Brien gets somewhat of a pass because it’s only been two years without Smith. Bump those facts you just brought up.

Side note: he did say he wanted him fired. He’s just won’t bash him like he did with Smith and now Watson.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

Depends on how ultra talented you think he is. Mahomes is ultra talented, he's got elite arm strength and accuracy as well as being able to move around the pocket/run as a last resort.

I dont think he's ultra talented, he's worse than avg because he's so up and down. Great some games and flat out sucks others. If he was avg in all games or close to all games. I would feel differently about his future. He's too inconsistent to win a championship.

I'm not backing BOB and have said he should've been fired (51-7) but since he's going to be here awhile I'm rooting for him to succeed, just like I'm rooting for DW to succeed because they BOTH are going to be here awhile. (You should be rooting for this too)

I dont look at this as yr 6, I look at this as yr 2 without the anvil that was RS and this is really the 1st yr BOB will finally fully be calling the shots. There will finally be a head to put on a noose if BOB fails. No more of hiding behind the boardroom model.

I like the Pats model and believe in getting rid of guys 1 yr early instead of 1 yr late. Gaine screwed up the Clowney situation by not adhering to this and I wanted to keep Clowney at the time. Just like I wanted to see them keep Nuk another yr.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
CPT I’ve been trying to understand his reasoning to. All I can come up with is the word HATE. He’s crucifying the youngster for the last 5 games of the season. But O’Brien gets somewhat of a pass because it’s only been two years without Smith. Bump those facts you just brought up.

Side note: he did say he wanted him fired. He’s just won’t bash him like he did with Smith and now Watson.
51-7, there's nothing more to say.

BTW, I dont hate DW4, I just dont think you can win a championship with him. There's a big difference there and I dont think everything that goes wrong is on BOB. Just like everything that goes right is because of BOB. See: the Oakland/Buffalo games.