Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans Conference Call

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Given OB's history I have seen nothing that leaves me hopeful in the slightest. I expect no more than the mediocre garbage we have been served up since he got here, with more excuses to explain why mediocre is the best we can do under OB.

The real question is.... IF it took us THIS long to "recover from the mess RS left behind" How many generations will it take to recover from the mess the current GM will leave behind?..... IF they even cut him loose EVER.
Probably 3 or 4 more yrs if this doesn't work out. Which I dont expect it to with BOB as HC and DW4 at QB. But I'm willing to atleast give BOB a couple of drafts before I deem this a failure.

Rich Schmidt

Myopicone
I was looking for a few topics to at least be touched on, but I knew this would be powder puff rah rah crap:
- Value, why does he overpay and get less in return on trades, are those guys so special.
- Self scouting, including the staff. He touched on the players, but come on, some coaches need to go
- Tunsil and Watson contracts, if Nuk was about money we ARE going to spend it right!
- What does he expect from his rookie OC and DC? Why should we believe they are better (I am happy BOB ain't calling plays and have hope for Weaver as he is smart and has more aggression), but want to hear why these guys
- Why this is not a FA destination, ie, Denver guys steered away
- Gaine seemed to be above average talent evaluator, what really happened that helped us get to this org now
- If no season, do they keep my money I paid?

BOB and Cal think we are a good team just needing to get over the hump, well we have not brought in any mountain climbers

When he mentioned he does not expect much in terms of OTA or pre-season, I may change my draft thoughts if 2020 is important. A rd2 WR may not have a good 2020 with our complex offense and DW4 chemistry etc, CB usually have a rough first year and we need both. I know you don't draft for this year only so depends who is there, but BOB likes known commodities anyway so I could see him detonate more pics for vets who will be more ready to go, which will hurt the cap more

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
"I would say the deal with Arizona was a deal that we felt was in the best interest of our team," O'Brien said Friday on a conference call for Texans season-ticket holders. "DeAndre Hopkins was a great football player here. He made so many plays for us. We love DeAndre Hopkins. But he had three years left on his deal and he wanted a raise. And we weren't going to be able to go in that direction. We felt like we had a great offer from Arizona that involved picks. That involved an excellent three-down running back who is hungry and humble and just can't wait to get started. David Johnson is going to be a great addition to our football team.
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28993145/texans-bill-obrien-stands-trade-says-deandre-hopkins-wanted-raise
Unless you honestly believe that somebody offering to trade you their beat-up ford pickup for your lamborghini which is in impeccable condition then the third sentence from the bottom of that paragraph in O'Briens statement is patently false.
We all know that, O'Brien knows it. And McNair knows it, or he sure better know it or this organization is in more trouble than we realize, and we already know it's in deep ****.

DBCooper

Outlaw
Contributor's Club
So..... a “GM” has a player under contract for the next 3 years, gets word that this player (who is one of the best at his position and an asset to the team) wants more money.

So to show this player who’s large and in charge you trade this player for a ham sandwich creating more holes for your team.

Said no “gm” ever. (Well, no good GM)

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I was looking for a few topics to at least be touched on, but I knew this would be powder puff rah rah crap:
- Value, why does he overpay and get less in return on trades, are those guys so special.
- Self scouting, including the staff. He touched on the players, but come on, some coaches need to go
- Tunsil and Watson contracts, if Nuk was about money we ARE going to spend it right!
- What does he expect from his rookie OC and DC? Why should we believe they are better (I am happy BOB ain't calling plays and have hope for Weaver as he is smart and has more aggression), but want to hear why these guys
- Why this is not a FA destination, ie, Denver guys steered away
- Gaine seemed to be above average talent evaluator, what really happened that helped us get to this org now
- If no season, do they keep my money I paid?

BOB and Cal think we are a good team just needing to get over the hump, well we have not brought in any mountain climbers

When he mentioned he does not expect much in terms of OTA or pre-season, I may change my draft thoughts if 2020 is important. A rd2 WR may not have a good 2020 with our complex offense and DW4 chemistry etc, CB usually have a rough first year and we need both. I know you don't draft for this year only so depends who is there, but BOB likes known commodities anyway so I could see him detonate more pics for vets who will be more ready to go, which will hurt the cap more
Great questions

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
"I would say the deal with Arizona was a deal that we felt was in the best interest of our team," O'Brien said Friday on a conference call for Texans season-ticket holders. "DeAndre Hopkins was a great football player here. He made so many plays for us. We love DeAndre Hopkins. But he had three years left on his deal and he wanted a raise. And we weren't going to be able to go in that direction. We felt like we had a great offer from Arizona that involved picks. That involved an excellent three-down running back who is hungry and humble and just can't wait to get started. David Johnson is going to be a great addition to our football team.
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28993145/texans-bill-obrien-stands-trade-says-deandre-hopkins-wanted-raise
Unless you honestly believe that somebody offering to trade you their beat-up ford pickup for your lamborghini which is in impeccable condition then the third sentence from the bottom of that paragraph in O'Briens statement is patently false.
We all know that, O'Brien knows it. And McNair knows it, or he sure better know it or this organization is in more trouble than we realize, and we already know it's in deep ****.
Again, you're worth what your trade value is.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Gonna pull an “I told you so on this” I’ve always thought he was lazy and a waste of a 1:1 pick.
He should've had his hernia issues fixed after the draft like CnD told us.

Then the McNair's and the field lawsuit with Hartmann lead to not fixing the terrible field conditions and Clowney tearing up his knee. We never got to see the best of Clowney. But you're right he wasn't a bust but certainly not worth 1-1.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
He should've had his hernia issues fixed after the draft like CnD told us.

Then the McNair's and the field lawsuit with Hartmann lead to not fixing the terrible field conditions and Clowney tearing up his knee. We never got to see the best of Clowney. But you're right he wasn't a bust but certainly not worth 1-1.
It wasn’t just his health issues, those I can forgive because they are outside a players control and it’s up to the team to decide if they are worth the risk. My issue was that in his entire time here he never improved. You look at his yearly stats and they are almost the same year after year. Adding fuel to that fire is that is is often said that JJ didn’t like him because he was lazy.

Big Lou

Hall of Fame
Turns out Clowney and his 3 sacks may not have been as valuable as he thinks he is as well as some posters including myself at the time thought he was.

I still like the Tunsil/Stills deal.
I was sort of done with Clowney last preseason, but we were all but locked in on 3rd round compensatory pick no matter what so why pay part of his salary in Seattle. We could have front loaded and extended Nuk early. Not saying that would have been smart but the trade to Seattle didn’t make a ton of sense even if Clowney was declining.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I was sort of done with Clowney last preseason, but we were all but locked in on 3rd round compensatory pick no matter what so why pay part of his salary in Seattle. We could have front loaded and extended Nuk early. Not saying that would have been smart but the trade to Seattle didn’t make a ton of sense even if Clowney was declining.
They took the 3rd rd pick a yr early and higher than what would've been a comp pick. They used the pick for immediate help (Conley) which I thought was a good trade.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
That’s a false claim with certain players and you know this. Man stop trying to dress bull crap up like that. It still stinks.
Cant accept the fact that that was the best deal available for the Texans after having Nuk on the block for a yr.

I will value NFL GM's actions over your opinions. No offense.

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.
Cant accept the fact that that was the best deal available for the Texans after having Nuk on the block for a yr.

I will value NFL GM's actions over your opinions. No offense.

Sorry but simply holding a job doesn't mean your good at it. Being an nfl GM shouldn't mean he has carte blanche to continually f up without repercussion or back lash from fans.

The Texans were fleeced in the hopkins deal, the clowney deal, and the oz deal. O'Brien was here for all of it.

I have zero confidence in the management or future of this team.

ShinobiMusashi

Waterboy
80's- Buccaneers
90's- Bengals
00's- Lions
10's- Browns
20's- Texans

You can go back through history for those teams and see the moves they made to become cannon fodder for a decade, we are watching the Texans repeating that history right in front of our eyes right now. Bookmark this post because I predict this team changes owners and moves to another city within this decade, very sad stuff

Texansballer74

The Marine
80's- Buccaneers
90's- Bengals
00's- Lions
10's- Browns
20's- Texans

You can go back through history for those teams and see the moves they made to become cannon fodder for a decade, we are watching the Texans repeating that history right in front of our eyes right now. Bookmark this post because I predict this team changes owners and moves to another city within this decade, very sad stuff

Man that would suck big time.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Sorry but simply holding a job doesn't mean your good at it. Being an nfl GM shouldn't mean he has carte blanche to continually f up without repercussion or back lash from fans.

The Texans were fleeced in the hopkins deal, the clowney deal, and the oz deal. O'Brien was here for all of it.

I have zero confidence in the management or future of this team.
The Os deal wasn't a BOB deal.

The Clowney deal they actually got more than what the Seahawks would've gotten.

I would've held onto Nuk and made him play under his current contract for another yr, but I'm not in the building and dont know what was going on behind the scenes.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
80's- Buccaneers
90's- Bengals
00's- Lions
10's- Browns
20's- Texans

Why would they change cities or owners? A team winning or losing doesn’t have anything to do with what city they are in it’s based on how big the market is and Houston has a huge market. Adams changed the oilers because they wouldn’t give him his shiny new stadium in the middle of an oil bust. To speak honest of the dead he was a greedy asshole who was pissed people and the city weren’t spending money they didn’t have just to inflate his ego.

Say what you want about the McNairs but the old man fought tooth and nail to bring football back to Houston and they are making money hand over fist. You people place to much value on winning. If that was the case lots of cities would have lost their teams long ago. As long as that mile long list of people waiting for season tickets is there and those seats are paid for, whether a butt is in them or not, Texans aren’t going any where.

Texansballer74

The Marine
The Os deal wasn't a BOB deal.

The Clowney deal they actually got more than what the Seahawks would've gotten.

I would've held onto Nuk and made him play under his current contract for another yr, but I'm not in the building and dont know what was going on behind the scenes.

Again he was on board with that deal too. Plus he actually didn't have any choice because of the way he was handling the quarterback position. The late McNair got tired of that crap.

I bet he's turning in his grave watching how his son is allowing Bill Obrien to gut this team. I believe if he was still living Obrien would've been gone. He for darn show wouldn't have all this power.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Again he was on board with that deal too. Plus he actually didn't have any choice because of the way he was handling the quarterback position. The late McNair got tired of that crap.

I bet he's turning in his grave watching how his son is allowing Bill Obrien to gut this team. I believe if he was still living Obrien would've been gone. He for darn show wouldn't have all this power.
We've been over this ad nauseeum we're never going to agree. We dont know what McNair would've done. What we do know is he kept Smithiak around after they should've been fired after 2010. So history says BOB would probably still atleast be HC.

One is here

The other cant get a job in the NFL and threw the org that gave him millions under the bus in an attempt to get back into the league. Good luck with that Slick Rick.

Texan_Bill

Hall of Fame
Went something like this: "Relative to (insert BS here)", "relative to (insert BS here)". relative to..... That you BoB have no viable answer to losing the best WR in the league for a ham sammich (no offense to David Johnson), over your egomaniacal narcisissm! D-Hop had three years left on his deal. You don't think you could've worked something out? You and your staff obviously SUCK at contracts/ salary cap and future planning!! BoB, you can't handle HC and OC responsibilities let alone Gm responsibilities! Just leave already! Quickly!! Before Deshaun Watson wants out.

Footnote: By all accounts, David Johnson is a fine young man, so please welcome him w/ open arms. Be Houstonians because that's who we are.

Texansballer74

The Marine
We've been over this ad nauseeum we're never going to agree. We dont know what McNair would've done. What we do know is he kept Smithiak around after they should've been fired after 2010. So history says BOB would probably still atleast be HC.

One is here

The other cant get a job in the NFL and threw the org that gave him millions under the bus in an attempt to get back into the league. Good luck with that Slick Rick.

I don’t give two F’s if you agree with me or not. My only thing is your point of view is not the be all on this particular subject. It’s not about trying to change other members minds or seeing who agrees with said dialogue. But to be able to understand other members point of view no matter if you disagree with them or not. Instead of doing that we want to respond in a very childish manner and for what.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I don’t give two F’s if you agree with me or not. My only thing is your point of view is not the be all on this particular subject. It’s not about trying to change other members minds or seeing who agrees with said dialogue. But to be able to understand other members point of view no matter if you disagree with them or not. Instead of doing that we want to respond in a very childish manner and for what.
Back at you.

I thought this MB was about discussion.

I really dont give 2 sh!ts about your point of view.

BTW, I notice you didn't respond to the post and just decided to call me names instead. Very typical.

Last edited:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Went something like this: "Relative to (insert BS here)", "relative to (insert BS here)". relative to..... That you BoB have no viable answer to losing the best WR in the league for a ham sammich (no offense to David Johnson), over your egomaniacal narcisissm! D-Hop had three years left on his deal. You don't think you could've worked something out? You and your staff obviously SUCK at contracts/ salary cap and future planning!! BoB, you can't handle HC and OC responsibilities let alone Gm responsibilities! Just leave already! Quickly!! Before Deshaun Watson wants out.

Footnote: By all accounts, David Johnson is a fine young man, so please welcome him w/ open arms. Be Houstonians because that's who we are.
How about this

Nuk there's the door I hope you and your baby mommas enjoy Glendale. I also hope you get paid the $$$$ you want because you know the McNair's dont EVER pay top $$$$. Now dont let the door hit you in the a$$ on the way out.

BTW, Moving on from DW4 instead of paying him 35-40 mil seems like a good idea to me. I guess this depends on if you think DW4 can win a championship.

Good to see you back man.

banned1976

sleeper mode
2 pages in and the name Rick Smith has appeared. I’m kind of surprised it took that long.

This is all BoB, Cal, and Jack. If their grand design works out a majority of us will gladly eat our crow. I know I will because I firmly stand my ground in stating the decision the ownership made to make O’Brien the GM was the single worst decision this franchise ever made. That’s saying something because I didn’t like RS becoming Texans GM from day one because I didn’t like the fact he and Kubiak were friends; they were too close therefore I didn’t feel good checks and balances would be established. More importantly I felt neither were qualified. That’s how much I hate promoting O’Brien to GM. But if the Texans get incrementally better from 2019 through 2021, I’ll eat multiple servings of crow, I’ll admit to this board I was wrong and after doing that I’ll never say/write a negative thing about O’Brien; I won’t have to.

Texansballer74

The Marine
Back at you.

I thought this MB was about discussion.

I really dont give 2 sh!ts about your point of view.

BTW, I notice you didn't respond to the post and just decided to call me names instead. Very typical.

It is, meaning people should be able to have an open mind verse spewing their specific hate on the organization and/or particular player/s.

Side bar: Maverick and the other few I know Rico and big time K-D are very opinionated about Bill O’Brien.

And hey that’s a good thing, now you can stop responding to me and I will most definitely do the same.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
It is, meaning people should be able to have an open mind verse spewing their specific hate on the organization and/or particular player/s.

Side bar: Maverick and the other few I know Rico and big time K-D are very opinionated about Bill O’Brien.

And hey that’s a good thing, now you can stop responding to me and I will most definitely do the same.
Not sure how I got dragged into this but believe it or not I really don’t care one way or the other about OB. If anything I would prefer to see a new HC mainly so we actually know what we have in Watson before we pay him 35+. Hoping Kelly really has been given control and it really will be his offense but I’m not hopeful. If we aren’t 4-2 at least I see OB taking play calling back by game 7.

GM wise I think he handled the Hopkins deal very badly all the way around but he’s not the first GM to do something stupid and keep their job, Chicago I’m looking at you. The Tunsil deal I thought was pretty good all things considered and the Clowney deal was never going to end good.

Thing is I know he is going to be here at least through his contract in 2022 so I really don’t see the point in making every post some variation on “OB sucks and should be fired” he’s not going to be so best we as fans can do is look on the bright side and hope they can turn chicken sh!t into chicken salad.

Oh and stop spending money on the team which I did 3 years ago.

Texansballer74

The Marine
Not sure how I got dragged into this but believe it or not I really don’t care one way or the other about OB. If anything I would prefer to see a new HC mainly so we actually know what we have in Watson before we pay him 35+. Hoping Kelly really has been given control and it really will be his offense but I’m not hopeful. If we aren’t 4-2 at least I see OB taking play calling back by game 7.

GM wise I think he handled the Hopkins deal very badly all the way around but he’s not the first GM to do something stupid and keep their job, Chicago I’m looking at you. The Tunsil deal I thought was pretty good all things considered and the Clowney deal was never going to end good.

Thing is I know he is going to be here at least through his contract in 2022 so I really don’t see the point in making every post some variation on “OB sucks and should be fired” he’s not going to be so best we as fans can do is look on the bright side and hope they can turn chicken sh!t into chicken salad.

I brought you up because normally you would say these members said this about Obrien. I know how you feel about this situation. And of course we've seen other teams pull off dumb ash trades like this one. Shoots look at the Browns. My thing is we're not those teams. We suppose to make moves to help us get over the hump verses digging a grand canyon for ourselves. And to top it off you're doing this out of emotions. That's what makes this situation even worse.

Last edited:

Texansballer74

The Marine

Before the trade I was just about to purchase a white Hopkins Jersey. Lol

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
2 pages in and the name Rick Smith has appeared. I’m kind of surprised it took that long.

This is all BoB, Cal, and Jack. If their grand design works out a majority of us will gladly eat our crow. I know I will because I firmly stand my ground in stating the decision the ownership made to make O’Brien the GM was the single worst decision this franchise ever made. That’s saying something because I didn’t like RS becoming Texans GM from day one because I didn’t like the fact he and Kubiak were friends; they were too close therefore I didn’t feel good checks and balances would be established. More importantly I felt neither were qualified. That’s how much I hate promoting O’Brien to GM. But if the Texans get incrementally better from 2019 through 2021, I’ll eat multiple servings of crow, I’ll admit to this board I was wrong and after doing that I’ll never say/write a negative thing about O’Brien; I won’t have to.
They still have to deal with the greatness that's Mahomes.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

I actually like debating with you. Too bad you can't have a debate without name calling as a last resort.

Sounds like a good idea to me.

Wolf

100% Texan
How about this

Nuk there's the door I hope you and your baby mommas enjoy Glendale. I also hope you get paid the $$$$ you want because you know the McNair's dont EVER pay top $$$$. Now dont let the door hit you in the a$$ on the way out.

BTW, Moving on from DW4 instead of paying him 35-40 mil seems like a good idea to me. I guess this depends on if you think DW4 can win a championship.

Good to see you back man.
Not sure how you can be in wait and see mode with obrien He's had 6 years and we seem to be going backwards. And he is still building err maintaining

banned1976

sleeper mode

I don’t think it’s written in stone O’Brien will be here until 2022. There are certain circumstances, none that are out of the realm of possibility, in which O’Brien gets canned before then. I do think he survives as HC/GM through 2022 simply because I think the McNair’s would rather not be bothered with searching for new candidates. O’Brien may be here long after 2022.

As far as the main topic of conversation revolving around O’Brien, whether we want to admit it or not he is probably the most polarizing figure in Houston. His abrasive and demeaning personality made that possible. He’s very blunt and at times condescending to the media. In that conference call he spun the topic of the Hopkins trade so strongly it reminded me of when he tried to convince Houston that Hoyer and Mallett were the quarterbacks we didn’t know we wanted, or in his eyes we deserved to even have, stupid fans that we are.

The only person responsible for OB’s image in Houston is O’Brien himself. When I supported and defended him against a fan base that largely disliked him I did so because I thought he was misunderstood. And that he’d improve as a coach and when that happened the fans would come around. Well, he hasn’t improved and I was the one that misunderstood him.

Last edited:

SnakeEyes

Under NRG
Oh I'm still going to watch and root for the team. I'm just not going to live and die by the outcome of games like I have in the past. I'm not going to let the stupid decisions or pitiful performance of this team f up my day or week.

O'Brien is going to do what he always does and there's no reason to believe otherwise.

At some point around December I'm going to stop rooting for the boat and cheer for the iceberg.
And what happens if they are 13-0 or something like that in December? I'm not saying that it will happen but it could... this is the NFL. Who would have thought that the Pats would have beat the Falcons in the SB for example

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I don’t think it’s written in stone O’Brien will be here until 2022. There are certain circumstances, none that are out of the realm of possibility, O’Brien gets canned before then.

As far as the main topic of conversation revolving around O’Brien, whether we want to admit it or not he is probably the most polarizing figure in Houston. His temperament made that possible. He’s very blunt and at times condescending to the media. In that conference call he spun the topic of the Hopkins trade so strongly it reminded me of when he tried to convince Houston that Hoyer and Mallett were the quarterbacks we didn’t know we wanted, or in his eyes we deserved to even have, stupid fans that we are.

The only person responsible for OB’s image in Houston is O’Brien himself. When I supported and defended him against a fan base that largely disliked him I did so because I thought he was misunderstood. And that he’d improve as a coach and when that happened the fans would come around. Well, he hasn’t improved and I was the one that misunderstood him.
You really believe BOB wont be here in 2022? Or is that wishful thinking? Remember it takes 2-14 to get a HC fired down on Kirby.

I dont have any issues what so ever with how he treats the local media. In fact I kind of enjoy it like I enjoy the way Belichick treats the media.

There are some real lazy media types (Looking at you Pancakes/Granato etc...) or flat out dumb. (Maybe a little bit of both.)

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.
And what happens if they are 13-0 or something like that in December? I'm not saying that it will happen but it could... this is the NFL. Who would have thought that the Pats would have beat the Falcons in the SB for example

You hit me up again when that happens.