Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans Conference Call

StarStruck

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
I forgot about the time and missed the 3:00 conference call with Cal, Bill and I believe EVP. Who attended, and what did the say?

zshawn10

All Pro
Texans chairman and CEO Cal McNair on town hall with season ticket holders: 'We've been home sheltering in place. It's going to be an exciting year for the Texans, even though things are different.'

Cal McNair on dealing with the circumstances: 'We spend a lot of time on conference calls. The scouts are working, Skypeing and Zooming. They're having virtual meetings, studying film and studying players, doing interviews with players using technology. They'll be ready for draft

Cal McNair: 'Our team is getting better through free agency. You can't look at one move. You have to look at all of them together'

Cal McNair on the leadership of the team: 'I think they're doing a great job.'

Cal McNair: 'I would think as a fan I would be really excited that your leadership can make bold moves and can go make moves that make the team better.'

Cal McNair: 'Shout out to your fans, be well, we can't wait to see you.'

Jack Easterby on adapting to this offseason during the coronavirus pandemic: 'The entire organization has been unified during this time. It's been fun, but it's been busy, lot of moving pieces as you might imagine.'

Bill O'Brien now on town hall: 'It's definitely a different time. The first thing I would like to say in this league it all starts with ownership. The McNairs have been out in front of this since Day One. Cal McNair has done a great job of leading us.'

Bill O'Brien: "Are their challenges? There are definitely challenges.' Said he and Jack Easterby meet and talk regularly while maintaining social distancing. 'We're excited about where we're at and where we're headed.'

Bill O'Brien: 'We're excited about where we're at and where we're going. It's hard because there's a lot of noise out there, but there's a lot of things that make us excited about our organization.'

Bill O'Brien: 'Any decision that's made is made with the team in mind. Capital T Capital E Capital A. Capital M in mind.'

Bill O'Brien: 'Decisions are made. We've come to again on a lot of different fronts whether signing back a lot of our own free agents, whether Bradley Roby or Ka'imi Fairbairn or Dylan Cole, I think we've done a great job.'

Bill O'Brien: 'We would have loved to keep D.J. Reader.'

Bill O'Brien: 'It was in the best interest of our team. DeAndre Hopkins was a great football player. We loved DeAndre Hopkins He had three years left on his deal and he wanted a raise. David Johnson is going to be a great addition to our football team.'

Bill O'Brien: 'Every decision we make will always be mad in the best interest of the team.'

Bill O'Brien on Randall Cobb: 'Excellent pro.'

Bill O'Brien: "We're not trying to win March. We're trying to win January. It's April. It's not November. We're trying to set up our team depth-wise talent-wise to win in January.'

Jack Easterby: 'We have stayed engaged in all our process. Every subprogram has done a great job. There's a lot of Zoom meetings. We're staying connected and trying to do due diligence from a distance'

Jack Easterby on the Texans: 'Great decisions and great results will come with great people and great process. We're going to make great decisions on behalf of the team and the McNair family.'

Bill O'Brien on the offseason conditioning program: 'It hasn't been canceled yet, but I think it will be.'

Bill O'Brien said center Nick Martin took weight room equipment home in his truck to train at home.

Bill O'Brien to fans on town hall: 'We're very excited with where we are right now. I've always tried to be very upfront and honest in all my dealings. We thank the season-ticket holders. In the history of any organization, there's always been some noise'

Bill O'Brien: 'We're doing everything possible to put together a great football team. We need our season ticket holders and really excited about the upcoming season.'

Jack Easterby praises Deshaun Watson, Laremy Tunsil, J.J. Watt, Justin Reid for their work in the community. 'Sports has a way of unifying people'

Texazan

Our HOF 34
I just heard some snipets of this and BOY does Cal sound ENGAGED. Let me tell you. Cal McNairs voice sounds like Kevin who runs Mesa Verde on Better Call Saul but much dumber. I guess we shouldnt expect any more then what we get if and when this guy even speaks. Now I just want him to shut up.

Last edited:

banned1976

sleeper mode
I like that Cal thinks we should be “really excited.” I didn’t know how I should feel until Cal told me.

They can blow smoke around the room all they want. The team that got out-scored 51-7 is worse now than they were then. And that team barely beat a pretty mediocre Buffalo team with a young QB that totally crapped his bed.

I’m glad they spoke today. It’s interesting they are all genuinely excited about their offseason so far. Cal seems to care, he’s just stupid about football. And O’Brien is a terrible evaluator of football players. Soooo ...we’re screwed.

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
I've listened to some the 610 crew talking about the "round table" and it sounds like
I just heard some snipets of this and BOY does Cal sound ENGAGED. Let me tell you. Cal McNairs voice sounds like Kevin who runs Mesa Verde on Better Call Saul but much dumber. I guess we shouldnt expect any more then what we get if and when this guy even speaks. Now I just want him to shut up.
These guys apparently are all delusional, and hate to admit it but it's petty damn hopeless.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
This surprises you how.

Cal's very good at what his daddy taught him.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Changing coaches now wouldn't do any good. The team is already turned topsy-turvy. You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. Might as well let BOB have his way and if he doesn't win the SB he won't have any excuse.
^^^^
This

So trading Nuk made this team topsy-turvy?

If this is true there were much worse talent issues than we thought to begin with. If one player other than your QB dooms your team then your team wasn't very good to begin with.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Until today, I had NEVER heard him speak, ever. Cal doesn't elicit any real confidence or power. Very bland, JUST like his team
I missed the call, went shopping with the wife to get goods.

The Texans have been a bland org ever since McNair chose the name Texans instead of naming the team something Houston centric. Does it really surprise you that Cal is bland?

Cal's greatest accomplishment in life is he won the gene pool.

Texazan

Our HOF 34
I missed the call, went shopping with the wife to get goods.

The Texans have been a bland org ever since McNair chose the name Texans instead of naming the team something Houston centric. Does it really surprise you that Cal is bland?

Be safe out there my man! Hope everyone here is taking care and caution. I have no masks but I have some nice Harley bandanas I'll be using going forward.

banned1976

sleeper mode
Changing coaches now wouldn't do any good. The team is already turned topsy-turvy. You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. Might as well let BOB have his way and if he doesn't win the SB he won't have any excuse.
Changing coaches now could do plenty of good. I’m of the opinion O’Brien has lost some players in the locker room with his GM decisions. Some coaches can successfully
separate and compartmentalize the dual roles - general manager and head coach. Given his reputation of being volatile and reactive I don’t think O’Brien is one of those guys. I keep thinking back to the Ryan Mallet missed flight situation.

O’Brien is a loose cannon. It’s not a question of will he go off; it’s a question of who he goes off on and at what cost.

Honestly, the Hopkins unbalanced trade is exactly the nightmare situation many of us had when O’Brien was named GM. Now that I know how Cal feels I know the nightmare is going to continue for I’m afraid a very long time.

Big Lou

Hall of Fame
I wouldn’t expect to say anything different, but Sweet Baby Jesus if they actually believe what they are saying that is scary. I mean like Joe Exotic crazy.

Texansballer74

The Marine
Trading Nuk was the best interest for the team because he asked for a raise. Lol you could’ve said no and kept him for at least two more years, then traded him. But paying a third string corner from the Browns was a good thing. Or paying the likes of Martin and Whitney what you paid them was a good thing. Man GTFOH with that crap.

The best thing you shouldve done was build that defense back up. You’re the one who basically tore it down just to build your offense up.

banned1976

sleeper mode
I wouldn’t expect to say anything different, but Sweet Baby Jesus if they actually believe what they are saying that is scary. I mean like Joe Exotic crazy.
Nothing is that crazy. Unless O’Brien is seducing free agents with meth and tiger’s. And it doesn’t look like he is.

texan279

Hall of Fame
Trading Nuk was the best interest for the team because he asked for a raise. Lol you could’ve said no and kept him for at least two more years, then traded him. But paying a third string corner from the Browns was a good thing. Or paying the likes of Martin and Whitney what you paid them was a good thing. Man GTFOH with that crap.

The best thing you shouldve done was build that defense back up. You’re the one who basically tore it down just to build your offense up.
What BOB could do for the best interest of the team is turn in his resignation NOW...

AcresHomesTexan

No Longer Arlington: Escaped From Jerry's World
Staff member

Quoted for truth or better "I absolutely agree with both of these and wish I would have said it."

KA4Texan

Woof!
Contributor's Club
:toropalm:
The official logo of the Houston Texans.

At this point, Texans org is on fire.

If I hadnt quit drinking, I could have 20 beers, Id still aim for center mass of the toilet and not waste a drop on trying to put out the fire at NRG.

They clearly dont care, why should I?

Im sure we are on the right track though.

texan279

Hall of Fame
:toropalm:
The official logo of the Houston Texans.

At this point, Texans org is on fire.

If I hadnt quit drinking, I could have 20 beers, Id still aim for center mass of the toilet and not waste a drop on trying to put out the fire at NRG.

They clearly dont care, why should I?

Im sure we are on the right track though.
But we are "rebuilding". By wasting draft picks. And overpaying mediocre free agents. And getting rid of our best players. We've been "rebuilding" for what three years now? I made a decision weeks ago if I run out of toilet paper, I have plenty of Texans' shirts and jerseys I can cut up...

santo

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club

Bro, no need to worry. OB is getting veteran WR help by trading 2 2’s for Juju. RS could only dream of deals like these, while OB is making them reality. So awesome!

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.
Come on Powda you’ve been a strong soldier for this team. Don’t bail on us now.
Oh I'm still going to watch and root for the team. I'm just not going to live and die by the outcome of games like I have in the past. I'm not going to let the stupid decisions or pitiful performance of this team f up my day or week.

O'Brien is going to do what he always does and there's no reason to believe otherwise.

At some point around December I'm going to stop rooting for the boat and cheer for the iceberg.

justmy2cents

All Pro
Contributor's Club
Oh I'm still going to watch and root for the team. I'm just not going to live and die by the outcome of games like I have in the past. I'm not going to let the stupid decisions or pitiful performance of this team f up my day or week.

O'Brien is going to do what he always does and there's no reason to believe otherwise.

At some point around December I'm going to stop rooting for the boat and cheer for the iceberg.

Now that was funny ! It's probably been around since 1912, but it's the first time I've heard it !

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Changing coaches now could do plenty of good. I’m of the opinion O’Brien has lost some players in the locker room with his GM decisions. Some coaches can successfully
separate and compartmentalize the dual roles - general manager and head coach. Given his reputation of being volatile and reactive I don’t think O’Brien is one of those guys. I keep thinking back to the Ryan Mallet missed flight situation.

O’Brien is a loose cannon. It’s not a question of will he go off; it’s a question of who he goes off on and at what cost.

Honestly, the Hopkins unbalanced trade is exactly the nightmare situation many of us had when O’Brien was named GM. Now that I know how Cal feels I know the nightmare is going to continue for I’m afraid a very long time.
What makes you think he's lost the lockerroom? Tunsil/DW4 have spoken highly of BOB.

What you need to know is those that aren't on board with BOB's program will be shipped off. Whether you like it or not. That's the way it's going to be for the next 2-3 yrs.

This is the culture I'm talking about, you either buy in or you're shown the door.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

Well, they have basically 4 top 100 picks to START the rebuilding of the defense. Which is what I would do and then draft a WR for depth purposes like Quatrey Davis/Tyrie Cleveland/Kendrick Rodgers in rds 5-7.

If BOB's able to add a CB/Edge/Coverage LB/NT with those 4 picks then I would be very happy with this draft even if they didn't add anything at WR except a low cost vet and a couple of late rd picks.

Last edited:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
2-3 years... are these in "rebuild years" or an actual prediction this dumpster fire will ever burn itself out?
We will see what happens, it will be very interesting seeing BOB's vision of what HIS team will look like. Posters just need to accept this is what's going to happen, roll with it and hope for the best.

Seegara

Guitar Picker, Dog Lover, Woodworker
^^^^
This

So trading Nuk made this team topsy-turvy?

If this is true there were much worse talent issues than we thought to begin with. If one player other than your QB dooms your team then your team wasn't very good to begin with.
Not just that. There was the giveaway of Clowney. There was the overpayment to get Tunsil and Stills. There were free agents getting away who should have been kept, etc, etc.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Not just that. There was the giveaway of Clowney. There was the overpayment to get Tunsil and Stills. There were free agents getting away who should have been kept, etc, etc.
Turns out Clowney and his 3 sacks may not have been as valuable as he thinks he is as well as some posters including myself at the time thought he was.

I still like the Tunsil/Stills deal.

KA4Texan

Woof!
Contributor's Club
We will see what happens, it will be very interesting seeing BOB's vision of what HIS team will look like. Posters just need to accept this is what's going to happen, roll with it and hope for the best.
I have accepted it.... that is why I no longer scream at my phone, monitor or TV when I hear the next stupid move made by this GM/HC brain trust.

Now I point and laugh..... cause while I will ALWAYS be a fan of my Texans on some level, they have shown time and time again that under OB the only way to get ANY enjoyment out of this level of ineptitude is to laugh..... or lose your mind in rage.

The one silver lining to the current state of the world..... it is one more reminder that life is to short to let something like an NFL team ruin a moment of your time..... so... pointing and laughing at this train wreck is about the only thing I have the energy to do in regards to sports.

They want me to be a "true fan" get the team a "true GM and HC" and I will gladly return to my place of cheering over mockery.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I have accepted it.... that is why I no longer scream at my phone, monitor or TV when I hear the next stupid move made by this GM/HC brain trust.

Now I point and laugh..... cause while I will ALWAYS be a fan of my Texans on some level, they have shown time and time again that under OB the only way to get ANY enjoyment out of this level of ineptitude is to laugh..... or lose your mind in rage.

The one silver lining to the current state of the world..... it is one more reminder that life is to short to let something like an NFL team ruin a moment of your time..... so... pointing and laughing at this train wreck is about the only thing I have the energy to do in regards to sports.

They want me to be a "true fan" get the team a "true GM and HC" and I will gladly return to my place of cheering over mockery.
Good for you

Aren't you the least bit interested in how all of this is going to work out?

KA4Texan

Woof!
Contributor's Club
Good for you

Aren't you the least bit interested in how all of this is going to work out?
Given OB's history I have seen nothing that leaves me hopeful in the slightest. I expect no more than the mediocre garbage we have been served up since he got here, with more excuses to explain why mediocre is the best we can do under OB.

The real question is.... IF it took us THIS long to "recover from the mess RS left behind" How many generations will it take to recover from the mess the current GM will leave behind?..... IF they even cut him loose EVER.