Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Texans' Cap space......and the rest of the League

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 8m

NFL's salary cap now projected to rise to about $130 million, up 5 percent from $123 million last year, per league sources. More $ for all.

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 8m

NFL's salary cap now projected to rise to about $130 million, up 5 percent from $123 million last year, per league sources. More $ for all.

Just heard the same thing on Sports Radio 610. If true that's good news for the Texans and maybe they will be able to keep Antonio, OD or others and still have enough to extend Watt and maybe sign some FA's too.

Just heard the same thing on Sports Radio 610. If true that's good news for the Texans and maybe they will be able to keep Antonio, OD or others and still have enough to extend Watt and maybe sign some FA's too.

There is zero reason to extend Watt this year.

The $130 million based on the current situation would put the Texans in a comfortable position to take care of IR replacements, Practice Squad and LTBEs but not much more than that.

Yes. In that mock draft simulator thread I picked Amaro in the 2nd. So I am not against the idea. 4th or later I would keep OD for a year and not bother trying to sign Graham.

I would keep Graham and cut OD. Old n busted is not what this team needs

Draft Crockett Gilmore in the 5th and/or Najvar in the 6/7th.

Cut OD and spend that $$$$ on Soliai.

I'd keep OD, let Graham walk.......

Take Watkins in the first, I want Moses in the second, but I'll take the best TE/OG/OT available. Grab a couple of TEs/OGs later in the draft, Andre Williams in the 5th, 6th. Then give Keenum Aj, Watkins, Hopkins, Posey, Cruz, Martin, Jean, OD & go win a championship.

any whre between 27 mill and 7 mill is were u wanna be look at the Packers and Ravens two pretty much consistent Franchise ball clubs

sadly the Texans are not there

I wonder what Graham is thinking should he say I need to get dat hell outta here and this might be my last chance to be a F/A and go for the highest payer

or maybe he stays here knowing that he has a good chance to leap frog OD or wait around cuz he knows OD will be cut if not this year then next by O brein

I would go with the first choice TBO im sure that's what his agent will say go with the sure bet GET DAT MONEY !!!

We don't have Graham, he is UFA. And young and half as good is not what this team needs.

Whichever way they go (GG or OD) they need to draft another TE because we are thin at the position, and neither GG or OD can seem to stay healthy. I think both were out with injuries at the end of last season and left the Texans with only 1 TE by the last couple of games (Griffin, a rookie 6th rd pick). If "Obie" likes to run a 2 TE set like he did in NE I don't think he'll rely on just GG or OD and Griffin. Heck, he might want to keep both and draft one.

We don't have Graham, he is UFA. And young and half as good is not what this team needs.

That's what I've been thinking. Graham has just never put it all together in my opinion. Not sure why but when he got here I was hoping for a "better" OD. What we seem to have gotten was more like a "shadow" of OD.

Griffin can do that and he still has more upside while costing less to keep.

I thought this is the last year of his rookie contract. Does he have another year? :thinking:

With the new CBA the contract is for four years and this is the last year of that period. BUT, the team has an option for a fifth year. Then there is the option of franchise tags. So:

2014 - rookie contract
2015 - team option extension
2016 - franchise

The Texans have the leverage. If they can get him to sign long term at something reasonable then great but if JJ demands a contract like some around here project then it makes no sense for the Texans to not play out their hand and leave the risk on JJ.

The Texans have until May 3rd to activate the 5th year option on Watt. The pay will be result of #3-#24 salaries at that position. Pretty good number if I recall.

The Texans could negotiate an extension this offseason to his rookie contract and lock him up for the foreseeable future. The Texans could activate the 5th year option. The Texans could do nothing and let him hit free agency next offseason with a massive bidding war that the Texans would lose.

Option #1 would be best.

As for OD & Graham. You let Graham walk. Graham is probably the #3 TE free agent, and the top two (J. Graham and D. Pitta) are likely to both get franchised. Making G. Graham one of the higher rated TE free agents...so he will get a good payday elsewhere. You stick with OD & Griffin. OD's contract is finished after the 2014 season. Draft another TE in this draft. Run with Griffin and 2014 rookie and TBA player for 2015.

About $8.2m under if the cap is set at $132m for the Texans.

Cutting OD/Schaub/AS with the 8.2 should be more than enough to sign Soliai and Orakpo in FA. Setting up the draft to be mainly an all offense draft.

Give me Clowney 1-1, sign Soliai and Orakpo in FA and draft Goodson in the 6th and I'm a very happy camper. The rest of the picks could be spent on offense.

Bring Brian Orakpo home!!!!!!!

Cutting OD/Schaub/AS with the 8.2 should be more than enough to sign Soliai and Orakpo in FA. Setting up the draft to be mainly an all offense draft.

Give me Clowney 1-1, sign Soliai and Orakpo in FA and draft Goodson in the 6th and I'm a very happy camper. The rest of the picks could be spent on offense.

Bring Brian Orakpo home!!!!!!!

AS? You mean Antonio Smith...he is already a free agent. $8.125m in savings by releasing OD and Schaub. You need to remember that you still need to sign your draft class. The #1 draft pick signing will eat up all of the savings from Schaub and some of savings from OD.

Reports from OTC shows the Texans have been allotted approximately 7.5 mil to sign the rookie class year one, should use up about 4.6 mil of cap space. So you say effective cap space is about $3.5mil before any releasing of players.

Wow, Cap Space increased to likely $132 Mill this year. Doesn't mean we can go bananas, but it does mean we can have way more than we previously thought possible.

Brian O!

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 47m
Salary cap projected to rise to about $133 million this year, expected to break $140 million next year and $150 million by 2016, per source

The #1 draft pick signing will eat up all of the savings from Schaub and some of savings from OD.

This is true if the Texans take all of Schaub's dead money this year. If they June 1st him his cap space will cover all the rookies and then some.

Not advocating - just pointing out it is an option.

This is what some of us had predicted after the new CBA was signed but then last year's almost nil increase stunned many. As much as I like Orakpo I must admit to feeling a bit nervous signing FA even if one should be in his prime. If the deal was right, hard to say no. Any thoughts on skins tagging him?

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5215/brian-orakpo

"That’s similar to the expected value of the franchise designation, which would allow Washington to offer Orakpo a one-year contract for approximately $11 million. Allen said the Redskins “really haven’t gotten into those types of specifics yet.”

Orakpo said frequently during the season that he would like to remain with the Redskins, who took him with the No. 13 pick in the draft in 2009. The mutual affection between player and team helped the Redskins sign cornerback DeAngelo Hallto a four-year contract worth a reported $17 million earlier this week.
Hall, who has played with the Redskins for parts of the last six seasons, played last season under a one-year, $1.25 million contract."

Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news...o-priority-redskins-bruce-alle/#ixzz2ueHoPvw3
Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter

This is what some of us had predicted after the new CBA was signed but then last year's almost nil increase stunned many. As much as I like Orakpo I must admit to feeling a bit nervous signing FA even if one should be in his prime. If the deal was right, hard to say no. Any thoughts on skins tagging him?

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5215/brian-orakpo

"That’s similar to the expected value of the franchise designation, which would allow Washington to offer Orakpo a one-year contract for approximately $11 million. Allen said the Redskins “really haven’t gotten into those types of specifics yet.”

Orakpo said frequently during the season that he would like to remain with the Redskins, who took him with the No. 13 pick in the draft in 2009. The mutual affection between player and team helped the Redskins sign cornerback DeAngelo Hallto a four-year contract worth a reported $17 million earlier this week.
Hall, who has played with the Redskins for parts of the last six seasons, played last season under a one-year, $1.25 million contract."

Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news...o-priority-redskins-bruce-alle/#ixzz2ueHoPvw3
Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter

This is a do or die season for DC Haslett...........he will kill to keep Orakpo this year.

Aaron Wilson ‏@RavensInsider 5m

NFL announces $133 million salary cap. Teams are required to spend average of $118.37 million annually on players during four-year span

AS? You mean Antonio Smith...he is already a free agent. $8.125m in savings by releasing OD and Schaub. You need to remember that you still need to sign your draft class. The #1 draft pick signing will eat up all of the savings from Schaub and some of savings from OD.

Reports from OTC shows the Texans have been allotted approximately 7.5 mil to sign the rookie class year one, should use up about 4.6 mil of cap space. So you say effective cap space is about $3.5mil before any releasing of players.

3.5 +4.5 OD + 4 Schaub= More than enough to sign Orakpo and the cap is going to go up more in 2015 when the new TV deal kicks in so you can do a contract that has more bonus $$$$ in the 2nd yr. Even though I will concede most of that extra cap $$$$$ will go to re-signing Watt.

They've got ~ $30 mil to work with............and about $50 mil in holes.

With 30 mil I would rather get 1 impact pass rusher and fill the NT in FA. Sign a vet QB for 3-5 mil a yr. Then fill the rest of the holes and add depth in a very deep draft. Do you think these 3 holes can be filled using the 30 million?

With 30 mil I would rather get 1 impact pass rusher and fill the NT in FA. Sign a vet QB for 3-5 mil a yr. Then fill the rest of the holes and add depth in a very deep draft. Do you think these 3 holes can be filled using the 30 million?
I was referring to the Skins in my post??????

Mercilus does not belong in that group, and Cushing is going to need a strong ILB to make up for his loss of lateral movement.

O ye of little faith!

Bdt0QgVCIAATpZM.jpg:large

:texflag:

Maybe Orakpo would consider coming back to Houston with a "hometown" discount........maybe not.......still doubt that Haslett doesn't hog tie him with the Skins.

Back