Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

TEXANS ATTEMPTING A REBOUND AGAINST THE RAVENS IN WEEK 2

I have to say when I listened to a part of Watson's presser interview of 9/16/20, I was extremely disturbed re. his answer regarding if he was happy with the tempo of the game, and why he didn't step it up when the Texans were behind in the 2nd half. Listen starting at 2:32.

With trailing 3 scores in the 2nd half, the Texans averaged 27 seconds between plays throughout the half. His explanation could not be considered anything but ridiculous. From good source within the organization, Watson does not like to go up tempo. And it isn't because O'Brien doesn't want him to........with most of the other QBs in O'Brien's history, no huddle up tempo was common place. O'Brien, for whatever faults you may assign him, he is protective of Watson. As one person in the organization subtly put it, when processing can not be sped up, up tempo or no-huddle is a poor option.

I feel dumber for listening to this PC.

McClain: Randall Cobb got it right. Texans played some ‘bad ball’
John McClain Sep. 17, 2020 Updated: Sep. 17, 2020 9:22 p.m.

Veteran receiver Randall Cobb said his first game with the Texans was some ‘bad ball’ and that offense needs to improve and play with sense of urgency.

The Texans’ offense was a huge disappointment in the opening loss at Kansas City and must show substantial improvement against Baltimore to avoid an 0-2 start.

Because the defense couldn’t stop the Chiefs’ running game, allowing 166 yards rushing, the Texans had the ball for 25 minutes, 13 seconds compared to Kansas City’s 34:47. Now the Texans play the Ravens, who set an NFL record last season for yards rushing. Baltimore ran for 256 yards in its 41-7 victory over the Texans.

“We can’t go out and play like we did on Thursday night,” receiver Randall Cobb said Thursday. “That’s bad ball. That was bad ball across the board, and we can’t put that on film because that’s the film we’re putting out for the rest of the league to see.”

Cobb is a 10-year veteran in his first season with the Texans, and he speaks from experience — eight years with Green Bay and one with Dallas. He knows the Texans looked in mid-preseason form at Arrowhead Stadium, and the defending Super Bowl champions looked in midseason form.

“Every game, especially right now, is important as far as us getting on track,” said Cobb, who had two catches for 23 yards in the fourth quarter. “Having a win, obviously, builds a lot more morale around the team. We’ve got to be better as a group and individually. I hope to get involved a little earlier and do everything I can to help put us in a better position.”

Against Kansas City, the offense looked discombobulated, and the defense was close to helpless against the running game. The Texans were underdogs at Arrowhead Stadium, but trailing 31-7 in the fourth quarter was an embarrassment, especially for an offense that’s supposed to be more productive.

THE REST OF THE STORY

From good source within the organization, Watson does not like to go up tempo. And it isn't because O'Brien doesn't want him to........with most of the other QBs in O'Brien's history, no huddle up tempo was common place. O'Brien, for whatever faults you may assign him, he is protective of Watson. As one person in the organization subtly put it, when processing can not be sped up, up tempo or no-huddle is a poor option.
Watson doesn't like up tempo. Processing can't be sped up. Yet somehow, he has more 4th quarter comebacks (8) over 2018 and 2019 than Mahomes, Wilson, Brady, and Rodgers. Go figure?

Who is this "good source within the organization"?

Texans down 17, 10:49 left in the 3rd Quarter. Probably should go up tempo, I guess. Here's what the Texans do.

Opening drive 2nd half.JPG

The play caller has the Texans run the ball 5 of the 1st 7 plays. After the last 2 runs, Howard is burned by a vet pass rusher on 3rd & long. Ending a 4:46 drive with zero points. Watson is 2-2 on the drive.

I'm thinking if someone was concerned about the tempo, fewer runs would have been called. What I think the play caller was concerned with was slowing down the pass rush that was getting home without the benefit of the blitz. Didn't work, but that seems to be what was happening in the game.

I don't have a source (good or bad) within the Texans organization. I just watch the game and look at the facts.

I have to say when I listened to a part of Watson's presser interview of 9/16/20, I was extremely disturbed re. his answer regarding if he was happy with the tempo of the game, and why he didn't step it up when the Texans were behind in the 2nd half. Listen starting at 2:32.

With trailing 3 scores in the 2nd half, the Texans averaged 27 seconds between plays throughout the half. His explanation could not be considered anything but ridiculous. From good source within the organization, Watson does not like to go up tempo. And it isn't because O'Brien doesn't want him to........with most of the other QBs in O'Brien's history, no huddle up tempo was common place. O'Brien, for whatever faults you may assign him, he is protective of Watson. As one person in the organization subtly put it, when processing can not be sped up, up tempo or no-huddle is a poor option.
Cloak, he's not a rookie. They've gone no huddle and hurry up before, what has changed?

I don't think it makes any sense. Bob to me is the one who is always too slow

You don't think it could be a combination of the two ?

Take for instance the last drive of the 3rd quarter against the Chiefs they are down 24-7 at this point.

They get the ball first and 10 at the 5 with 1:12 on the clock and get off two plays before time expires.

• 1st & 10 at HOU 5
    (1:12 - 3rd) Da.Johnson right guard to HST 10 for 5 yards (T.Mathieu; A.Hitchens).
  • 2nd & 5 at HOU 10
    (0:33 - 3rd) (Shotgun) D.Watson scrambles left end pushed ob at HST 16 for 6 yards (T.Mathieu).
  • END QUARTER 3
  • 1st & 10 at HOU 16
    (15:00 - 4th) (Shotgun) D.Watson pass short middle to W.Fuller to HST 36 for 20 yards (R.Fenton).
There has to be more urgency than that down multiple scores in the second half.

Watson was asked about this by Doughnuts in a recent interview .... Watson's answer was comical - "we didn't want to leave the Chiefs any clock" ..... down 24-7.

Probably the toughest post game question he's ever been asked .... I wouldn't be shocked if they ran McClain outa town for that one.

Here's the link to the presser - start at 2:30.

Take for instance the last drive of the 3rd quarter against the Chiefs they are down 24-7 at this point.

They get the ball first and 10 at the 5 with 1:12 on the clock and get off two plays before time expires.

Watson was asked about this by Doughnuts in a recent interview .... Watson's answer was comical - "we didn't want to leave the Chiefs any clock" ..... down 24-7.

Probably the toughest post game question he's ever been asked .... I wouldn't be shocked if they ran McClain outa town for that one.

"You play too fast and you're 3 and out then the defense is back on the field and now they're tired..."
It sounds like OBs game plan may have been not to get beat too bad. The slower you can go three and out, the less time KC would have with the ball.

Now go listen to O’Brien’s presser. He said he thought the temp was fine. And that the offense moved the ball and he was pleased. Paraphrasing of course

"You play too fast and you're 3 and out then the defense is back on the field and now they're tired..."
It sounds like OBs game plan may have been not to get beat too bad. The slower you can go three and out, the less time KC would have with the ball.

God that was the dumbest answer I've heard to a question since the Denny Green rant. With that mentality it's going to be a long season. I don't know who to blame the lack of getting a play off on, Kelly or DW4 but this has to change. Sad thing is is this isn't the 1st time this has happened.

I don't remember this happening with Fitz/Hoyer but I could be wrong, my memory could be failing me.

Soiunds to me like that was the strategic plan for the coach. Bill O'Brien was happy with the pace.

I was cheering on the part about DW4 holding on to the ball too long. This will make an OL look worse than it is. However the OL did play like crap last game and DW4 didn't do them any favors. He needs to speed up his reads and get rid of the ball.
I, for one, never blame the line when the QB holds on to the ball.
But you may want to listen to what Harbaugh said about the scheme.

When the D rushes only 3, the line needs to be able to protect longer.
When the O stays in Max protect against 5 rushers.
Same thing.

Watson doesn't like up tempo. Processing can't be sped up. Yet somehow, he has more 4th quarter comebacks (8) over 2018 and 2019 than Mahomes, Wilson, Brady, and Rodgers. Go figure?

Who is this "good source within the organization"?
Clemson averaged over 80 offensive plays in Watson's sophomore year and increase that to 81.2 his last year.
Watson definitely didn't have any problem with uptempo.

God that was the dumbest answer I've heard to a question since the Denny Green rant. With that mentality it's going to be a long season. I don't know who to blame the lack of getting a play off on, Kelly or DW4 but this has to change. Sad thing is is this isn't the 1st time this has happened.

I don't remember this happening with Fitz/Hoyer but I could be wrong, my memory could be failing me.
Houston's running game under O'Brien (number of rushing attempts as compared with the rest of the league):
2014: most rushing attempts (riding Foster to the ground).
2015: 5th most
2016: 6th most
2017: 11th most
2018: 4th most
2019: 12th most

O'Brien had never wanted a fast paced game.

Here I can put this in perspective......OB is coaching to save his job season to season. This season could be a tad different b/c he may be coaching to prevent the blowout and getting him ever closer to that well deserved pink slip.

Now go listen to O’Brien’s presser. He said he thought the temp was fine. And that the offense moved the ball and he was pleased. Paraphrasing of course
I will find the one where O’Brien said the tempo was fine. McClain is the one that brought up the tempo.

Soiunds to me like that was the strategic plan for the coach. Bill O'Brien was happy with the pace.
Watson said they slowed it down to keep KC from having the ball.

It was a plan from the coach.

OB was still quivering from the ass whippin the Chiefs handed him in the playoffs. Dude was flat out scared to death of getting another beat down. Guess what, you got one anyway, the score just didn't indicate it.

News flash OB, you are not the smartest guy in the room!

Well let's look at the stats. Football Outsiders keep track of "Pace stats", which are basically seconds per play under different situations.
https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/nfl/pace-stats/2019

I just plucked out the key stats of when BOB started in Houston. First column is seconds/play (total), 2nd column is seconds/play (when trailing 7+)

2014 --- 27.15 ---- 24.21 ---- Fitzpatrick
2015 --- 25.58(3) - 22.64(2) - Hoyer/Mallet
2016 --- 27.32 ---- 24.82 ----- Osweiller
2017 --- 27.5 ----- 25.85 ----- Watson/Savage
2018 --- 27.37 ---- 25.89 ---- Watson
2019 --- 27.2 ----- 24.84 ----- Watson

Some interesting numbers. Excluding 2015, the numbers seem to be similar pre & post Watson. You could make a fair argument that Watson has been a tad slower. But overall, BOB offense tends to be about average when it comes to pace of play.

Now there's an outlier there in 2015, when we were one of the faster offenses in the league. Why? Hoyer started most of the games, with Mallet getting a few starts as well. Was Hoyer the only guy that knew how to run BOB's offense?

I highly doubt he was happy with the pace being down three scores. I know while I was watching the game I wasn't at all happy about the lack of urgency / use of time. It's like they had conceded the game and just wanted to keep from being totally embarrassed.

As to his response when asked about it - What would you expect him to say ? Blame the signal caller / offense for lollygagging ?

Down 17 with just over a quarter to play , you pretty much have to be in hurry up mode.

See my response to KDog above .... we're on the same page here.

As I stated above - what do you expect him to say ? - My QB had his head up his ass ? My Offense sucks ? - No , he's not going to say anything negative at all. he fell on his sword .... like most other coaches would deflecting blame from the players. They did what I asked ....

If you are down three scores with 16:30 left on the game clock ... are you in hurry up or not ?

As I stated above - what do you expect him to say ? - My QB had his head up his ass ? My Offense sucks ? - No , he's not going to say anything negative at all. he fell on his sword .... like most other coaches would deflecting blame from the players. They did what I asked ....

If you are down three scores with 16:30 left on the game clock ... are you in hurry up or not ?

Doesn't strike me that OBrien is a guy who falls on his sword. Everytime OBrien says something dumb, people say it's just coach speak, but then he goes out he next game that he means it.

If O’Brien was upset about the tempo of the game he has the authority to change that during the game.

There’s nothing damning about a coach telling the media “on offense we didn’t play with a sense of urgency that we should have played with when we fell behind.”

Anyway, I was also critical of Watson in the game thread, too, specifically calling out his own lack of urgency.

Maybe the Texans offense just isn’t good at playing uptempo. Maybe it’s because of all the new pieces on offense. Maybe it’s something else, I don’t know. I do feel like a good head coach, especially one that was touted as being some kind of offensive genius when he got here should be able to improve that aspect. And good news! Here comes Baltimore! Lets see if O’Brien and Watson figured some things out in 10 days in regards to how quickly they can claw their way out of hole.

I highly doubt he was happy with the pace being down three scores. I know while I was watching the game I wasn't at all happy about the lack of urgency / use of time. It's like they had conceded the game and just wanted to keep from being totally embarrassed.

As to his response when asked about it - What would you expect him to say ? Blame the signal caller / offense for lollygagging ?

Down 17 with just over a quarter to play , you pretty much have to be in hurry up mode.

I always ask myself when I look at QBs is what would Joe Montana have done.

This is not the first game under Obrien tenure that his team didn’t go into hurry up once being down by more that 7-21 points. This has been going on for 7 freaking years.

At this point he needs to do something to light a freaking fire underneath their boondocks. He surely didn’t hold back his punches when he addressed the defense. Why is that?

This is not the first game under Obrien tenure that his team didn’t go into hurry up once being down by more that 7-21 points. This has been going on for 7 freaking years.

With Fitztragic and Hoyerable they spent a lot of time in hurry up ....

At this point he needs to do something to light a freaking fire underneath their boondocks. He surely didn’t hold back his punches when he addressed the defense. Why is that?

I think he knows where his bread is buttered ...

Yeah , someone needs to light a fire under their collective backsides.

My expectations for this week are grim .... If they play like they did last week , the Raven's might pitch a shut out. 37-0. How's that for a home opener for the marketing team ?

Doesn't strike me that OBrien is a guy who falls on his sword. Everytime OBrien says something dumb, people say it's just coach speak, but then he goes out he next game that he means it.

Coach speak = fall on his sword .... I had the same intent behind the phrase.

Can he really say anything else without throwing the players under the proverbial bus ?

I didn't even realize the game was at 3pm Sunday. And luckily only the Baltimore area and the some of Texas will see it. Thank goodness for the NFL darlings playing the Chargers on the National Game.

I just do not see any way the Texans win this game. I've grown tired of getting my hopes up. I'm prepared for the beat down.

Last edited:
What would you expect him to say ?

Interesting question. For years now, I'm so sick of him saying... "It's on me, I've got to coach better etc..." I for one find it refreshing to get "anything" different. So when he says the pace was OK when everyone knows it wasn't, at least it's different. I laughed when I heard it, so at least there's some comic relief in this tragedy. I also heard him say, when asked about the OLine, that they did OK and the problem was other players not doing their part in pass protection. He explained how others missed there assignments while the OLine was doing their job. This was even more interesting in that he was finally calling some players out. When a player screws up and it's not the coaches fault, I think it's OK to be honest about it and not have to protect the "feelings" of a player by blaming it on the coach. Obviously this can get out of hand, but if the GOAT can be criticized by Arians, is there really anyone on the Texans that is above scrutiny. Of course this was self serving for OB to defend his OLine after he mortgaged the future on them, but at least he seems to be opening up a little instead of the pat answers we have heard for years now. Some of this is probably due to frustration and that seat getting a little warmer, but I'm glad we finally got anything different out of him. His press conferences had become so predictable there really wasn't much point in watching them as they were all the same. At least now they might get a little more entertaining.

He surely didn’t hold back his punches when he addressed the defense. Why is that?

I think this is obvious. He just mortgaged the future on Tunsil. He just traded away one of the league's best receivers and most popular players to change the offensive philosophy and spread it around more. With all his recent GM moves on offense how in the world could he blame them. I know he's responsible for the defense too, but with all his recent moves on offense this is the easier way out.

Lol...it’s sacrilegious to believe that the reason something’s not going right on the field is actually completely b/c of DW4. Surely it’s has to be b/c that’s what BoB wants and is “making” him do.....

Same circular thinking many used when we were “just a qb away”...When BoB is fired and we still have issues, what will be the go to for y’all then? At some point, the players on the field gotta take responsibility for what goes on on it....star player or not....seeing as they have the most control.

Lol...it’s sacrilegious to believe that the reason something’s not going right on the field is actually completely b/c of DW4. Surely it’s has to be b/c that’s what BoB wants and is “making” him do.....

Same circular thinking many used when we were “just a qb away”...When BoB is fired and we still have issues, what will be the go to for y’all then? At some point, the players on the field gotta take responsibility for what goes on on it....star player or not....seeing as they have the most control.
You're making excuses for BOB before he's gone already. How comical.

I just want the chance to beyotch about something different

I didn't even realize the game was at 3pm Sunday. And luckily only the Baltimore area and the some of Texas will see it. Thank goodness for the NFL darlings playing the Chargers on the National Game.

I just do not see any way the Texans win this game. I've grown tired of getting my hopes up. I'm prepared for the beat down.

Anatomy of a beatdown
(This is a really awesome album).

:turtle::ant::bguitar:

Coach speak = fall on his sword .... I had the same intent behind the phrase.

Can he really say anything else without throwing the players under the proverbial bus ?

My point is he'll go out and do the slow down offense the rest of the year, proving it's not coach speak. He's done a slow offense his entire tenure here.

Like when he praised hoyer and mallet. People said it was coach speak. No, he meant it.

BOB has said it plenty of times, you guys just aren’t listening. His entire game plan is to run, run, run, run , run, control the clock, hit them deep. He’s been doing it since he got here with every QB he’s trotted out there. Watson and the offense always seem to take it up a notch when we go up tempo, but OB and staff never commit to it. The defense makes that a big risk. They are not good enough to be put into tough positions, like a quick 3 and out. It makes OB pucker up more and be Even more conservative. He said it last year in the playoffs, the goal is to control the clock and not leave much time for the Chiefs because they score a lot. The problem is, he doesn’t understand how QUICKLY they can score too. He needs to be more concerned with keeping up with them, not limiting their chances.

I will find the one where O’Brien said the tempo was fine. McClain is the one that brought up the tempo.
As was in my original post, it should be obvious that O'Brien has been and is protective of his QB, as it should be. I presented information that was shared with me through a respected source. One can chose to incorporate it into part of their overall evaluations, or can chose to turn a blind eye to it altogether, which is also OK.

O'Brien regularly used the up temp/no huddle offense in New England. It was a staple of his Penn State offense. He frequently used it with every Texans QB ever since he joined the Texans, including with Savage who preceded Watson. Now it is left for us to believe that because he is such a terrible evaluator of his QB's abilities, all of a sudden for no cause, he has virtually abandoned the concept for Watson.........purposely instructing him to lead a slow plodding offense in the face of an obviously urgent 2nd half situation. If Watson now as the $160 million franchise QB wanted to play up tempo/no huddle, you can be sure the Texans would be playing accordingly.

Personally I've always enjoyed watching an uptempo offense. Obviously it stresses defenses but I think most importantly it gets the qb in rythm. I think that's highly underrated for most quarterbacks.

By now it's clear OB feels 1 of 3 ways because he just doesn't do it:

1. Watson isnt capable and/or the offense is so mistake prone it's not worth it. (Maybe they have some metric to justify that?)

2. The defense needs all the rest they can get? He doesn't trust their performance or conditioning.

3. Ob is so supremely confident in his offense he believes time is no factor. "Dont hope for a mistake by the defense. Execute the play properly and it will be effective."

As was in my original post, it should be obvious that O'Brien has been and is protective of his QB, as it should be. I presented information that was shared with me through a respected source. One can chose to incorporate it into part of their overall evaluations, or can chose to turn a blind eye to it altogether, which is also OK.

O'Brien regularly used the up temp/no huddle offense in New England. It was a staple of his Penn State offense. He frequently used it with every Texans QB ever since he joined the Texans, including with Savage who preceded Watson. Now it is left for us to believe that because he is such a terrible evaluator of his QB's abilities, all of a sudden for no cause, he has virtually abandoned the concept for Watson.........purposely instructing him to lead a slow plodding offense in the face of an obviously urgent 2nd half situation. If Watson now as the $160 million franchise QB wanted to play up tempo/no huddle, you can be sure the Texans would be playing accordingly.

That all makes sense. I just hope it isn't true. How can a NFL offense "not" be able to run the hurry up, play up tempo, what ever you want to call it. It's such a basic part of the game, it would be an absolute joke it they can't do it.

But in Penn State he had a very mediocre offense. And the one year he was an OC in new england, he ran it too much, got shut down by the Jets and bounced in the first round.

Yes, it's reasonable to think he's a terrible evaluator of talent considering his personnel decisions.

That all makes sense. I just hope it isn't true. How can a NFL offense "not" be able to run the hurry up, play up tempo, what ever you want to call it. It's such a basic part of the game, it would be an absolute joke it they can't do it.

Because Watson is dumb, so the argument goes.

Back