Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans and Godsey Mutually Part Ways

Brisco_County

Apples and roadmaps
There's no reason to believe this wasn't a mutual parting. I'm sure Godsey had valid reasons for wanting to leave, which includes being scapegoated.

Either way, this is a good step. Regardless of how poor the QB play was, Godsey's situational play calling was just as bad. Many OC's can look good with a talented QB, but they're also expected to do the best with what they have, and I don't believe Godsey did.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
It may not be that easy to find a quality OC willing to live or die with Brock hanging around his neck as a potential starter next season............

while Smith and McNair continue to fan the flames...........
I think the, "McNairs forced Brock..." crap was overblown. My evidence is that Savage was named the starter for the Bengals game Monday morning.

I think if there was any division on that decision it would have been Wednesday before it was announced. Players review game tape with the coaches on Monday. They're off on Tuesday. They start work on the next game Wednesday. Naming the starting QB on Monday does not benefit the players.

If nothing else, this divorces Brock from O'b imo. They gave Brock 2 seasons to prove he can be a starting QB. The Texans already scapegoated one OC. It's now on Brock to win the job & earn his 2018 spot on this team.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Keep Crennel, get rid of everyone else below McNair. McNair would never let go of himself anyway.

And for those with seriously demented minds, I'm not rewording that for your sakes. You'll just have to live with it in your thoughts.
Damn you Thorn.
I didn't until you spelled it out. LOL.

DX-TEX

#TomSavageDontCare
If O'Brien would choose Kelly as his OC, as good an offensive mind that he is, he could leave behind some of his his style of play and still enjoin O'Brien's...........and tweek it some along the way with his own known style......potentially the best of both worlds.
Exactly. Why does everyone think its either one or the other?

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.
Sacrificial lamb or step one to recreating this toilet bowl offense?

Porky

Hall of Fame
What "name" OC is going come here with one of the 2-3 worst QB's in the league as a probable starter? AND add to that biggie that BOB has been the architect and the defacto OC the past 3 years. This baby was birthed by BOB. He's the Daddy of this disaster.

This can only go one of two ways -

We get a guy that's desperate for a leg up and that wants the title - someone on par with Godsey but BOB will still be the 'Real' OC. If you hear we hired the quality control coordinator or some little known WR coach - that's your tipoff.

OR

Get a legit OC in here. In which case, two things must happen. First Os will need to be severed no matter the cost to the team financially, AND Bob will need to turn the reins over to the new OC and instead must become the big picture guy.

Does anyone think someone like a Norv Turner would come here with the current situation? Not a chance in hades. I tend to think it's the first scenerio because BOB is a control freak and he thinks (and probably incorrectly) that he can fix this mess, and he doesn't want to be upstaged by someone that has an actual proven track record of success.

Bottom line, I don't think much changes over on Kirby. The wheels get greased with a different axle grease but we're still not going anywhere. It's change for change sake with no expected upgrade to the team.

H

humblegeo

Get an offensive coordinator that has the potential to be your next head coach. Don't let Obrien pick him. Osweiler gets next year to make it or break it. He may improve some but I think we're going to need to have a kick azz running game to compensate for what Qsweiler lacks at quarterback. It's time to part ways with Grimes and Blue. Good tough running backs but really no better than average. It's time for some fresh legs back there. It needs to be a priority because of our weak quarterback situation that we're going to have next season. Decide on Savage, is he too injury prone. 3 years here and still don't know what you've really got? Time to move on. I don't want to waste a valuable roster spot on a 3 year quarterback that has been injured half the time, despite only playing in a couple of games. We still don't know if he can get the job done....do we??

Last edited by a moderator:
GG gets to be the fall guy but there was no doubt that O"b took on the lions share of running the offense. As long as this gets O'b to lay off of the duties and we get a real offensive coordinator who actually makes and calls the offense.

TejasTom

All Pro
I thought Izzo wasn't here last season. The ST coverage this season was much better overall, just had an unfortunate missed tackle on the play in question.
2015 coach was Bob Ligashesky

we had one of the worst special teams units in the league. Gave up the most yards on kickoffs in the league. Izzo deserves to get the boot as well.
According to this we went from 32nd to 32nd
http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamst

Maybe it's the talent or lack there of.

Number19

Hall of Fame
GG gets to be the fall guy but there was no doubt that O"b took on the lions share of running the offense. As long as this gets O'b to lay off of the duties and we get a real offensive coordinator who actually makes and calls the offense.
The problem is, if we bring in an OC who wants to run his own offense, then the Players are starting from scratch learning a new system. Or the Texans have to find an OC already familiar with OB's offfense.

I'm betting Izzo is next. Kickoff return for TD in consecutive year playoff games. Not good.

I kind of liked Godsey myself. He had some intelligent play calls occasionally. Gotta blame somebody, surely it's not the bazillion dollar quarterback we paid.
The problem is, if we bring in an OC who wants to run his own offense, then the Players are starting from scratch learning a new system. Or the Texans have to find an OC already familiar with OB's offfense.
The key is to have an OC who can come in early and simplify the offense. All I heard was how complex O'b's offense was and yet I saw little during the season that would convince me otherwise.

Besides other teams have had to start from scratch and learn new offenses. Our team can can do the same.

OzzO

.. and then?

Scapegoat?
Fall on the sword?

Pfft... gotta a run, run, pass game plan for ya.

Personally, I think this is a step in right direction. OB is gonna be back as is Oz as is Rick.... and you know it. Oz may not necessarily be the starter, but he'll be back. Agree with above, maybe the new OC will simplify the game plan and utilize the strengths of the players (bonus if he keeps OB out of the game day play calling)

Now the next step, Rick and his million man scouting crew to start their search of a QB, OL, LB, and secondary for either depth or be the starters if the current group cant find their testicular fortitude.

Reactions: ROO

JPPT1974

April Showers and Easter 2024!
But wonder how much it is going to cost the team to trade in Brock Osweiler. To instill a new QB. They paid him $72M indeed.

texanhead08

All Pro
Its a $25 million cap hit if Brock is a pre June 1 release and a $19 million if he is a post June 1 cut. This is according to overthecap.com

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Good riddance.

Watch how brass will try to hold on to Oz by saying all he needs is another OC

This franchise has become predictable in the front office as well as the field.
I look at it like the new OC is going to have to tell McNair what he wants to hear about his high priced QB to get the job, ala Kubiak and Carr. But they'll figure it out pretty quickly....I hope.

Seegara

Guitar Picker, Dog Lover, Woodworker
Good riddance.

Watch how brass will try to hold on to Oz by saying all he needs is another OC

This franchise has become predictable in the front office as well as the field.
I wouldn't put it past them at all.

texanhead08

All Pro
One thing that irked me about the Texans offense all year is how week after week we struggle to get the ball snapped before the play clock expired.

What the hell are they doing in practice and film study all week that they always look like they have no idea what the opposing defense is doing when they line up.

If they are going to change every play at the line why huddle in the first place they are wasting 10-15 seconds when they could just no huddle and not have to rush to snap the ball each play.

Hervoyel

BUENO!
That's surprising to me because the games I watched seemed like the coverage unit was way better than the season previous. Then again I didn't watch much of the last 8 or so games because I was fed up with OBrien and his offense.
This year they had quite a few good moments mixed in with the complete collapses that the Texans special teams are known for. That's what was so weird. You would get a great hit on a returner and then they would crap all over themselves when the defense forced a punt. Then the next time they'd go to cover a kick off they'd give the guy 40 yards. It was maddening to watch. I think that the talent is just so thin that if everything doesn't go just exactly right we blow it and face plant. I don't think the coaching was nearly as bad as it looked. We just got a higher than normal number of boneheads (my theory) on our roster. They may look like football players and have the measurables of football players but they can't follow instructions to save their lives. Not consistently.

kiwitexansfan

Hall of Fame
In other words... no balls. We -cannot- send a message around the league. Everybody knows we're soft all the way through.
I don't agree.

BoB and Godsey are good friends, no need to blow your mate up. Everyone knows Godsey sucked and he's being moved on and why.

'The league' knows who the Texans are and most people (who aren't rabid fans) respect the organisation.

NitroGSXR

Super Sic #58
I don't agree.

BoB and Godsey are good friends, no need to blow your mate up. Everyone knows Godsey sucked and he's being moved on and why.

'The league' knows who the Texans are and most people (who aren't rabid fans) respect the organisation.
Like you said... the league knows who's who. I assure you... Bill Belichick has no problem setting his coaches out to send a message. He's winning. We are not. This is the home of the buddy buddy system. Texas hospitality taken too far I guess.

TripleTap

Dead Wood
We can dream about lil Shannany being the new OC. That won't happen, but I'd have a whole new opinion of the organization if they did something like that.
Everybody would have a whole new opinion of this organization if they got Kyle Shanahan as OC, Assistant Head Coach, whatever title and money is necessary.

Earl34

Hall of Fame
One thing that irked me about the Texans offense all year is how week after week we struggle to get the ball snapped before the play clock expired.

What the hell are they doing in practice and film study all week that they always look like they have no idea what the opposing defense is doing when they line up.

If they are going to change every play at the line why huddle in the first place they are wasting 10-15 seconds when they could just no huddle and not have to rush to snap the ball each play.
It irked me too. On the majority of plays, you have Osweiler motioning like a spastic traffic cop to only call a run up the middle or a 5 yard pass. Osweiler did more motioning before the play than the WRs and RBs.

It would seem constantly snapping the ball so late in the play clock would give the defense a slight advantage. Especially timing their rush on obvious passing downs. Also, you would think they would want to give Osweiler as much time as possible to settle down, mentally process his reads and then execute the play.

It's just another annoying and frustrating thing about the 2016 offense.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Bill O'Brien's best play-call at OC may be an audible: hiring himself
By Aaron Wilson

Published 9:50 pm, Monday, January 16, 2017

After making the difficult, yet necessary call of jettisoning longtime friend George Godsey as his offensive coordinator, fiery coach Bill O'Brien has a big decision to make about the direction of the Texans' beleaguered offense.

O'Brien's next, best and most logical play-calling decision should be hiring himself for the job, formally or informally.

O'Brien really doesn't have an in-house candidate besides himself on the staff that makes any sense.

And it wouldn't be a surprise in league circles if O'Brien ultimately decides to operate as his own offensive coordinator next season rather than make an outside hire who wouldn't be as well-versed in the complicated system O'Brien brought with him from his days as the New England Patriots' offensive coordinator collaborating with star quarterback Tom Brady.

Under that scenario, O'Brien could then shuffle his offensive coaching staff to fill positions.

O'Brien could have receivers coach Sean Ryan, a former New York Giants quarterbacks and receivers coach, shift over to coaching the quarterbacks. Tight ends coach John Perry could coach the receivers. And the Texans could elevate offensive quality control coach-assistant offensive line coach Tim Kelly to tight ends coach.

O'Brien has the most extensive knowledge and background in the system and would likely be the most aggressive play-caller.

O'Brien was already calling the plays periodically throughout the season after taking over play-calling duties from Godsey following a 27-0 shutout loss to the Patriots in the third game of the season.

O'Brien and Godsey later collaborated on the play-calling, standing side by side on the sideline holding play sheets.

With two years remaining on a five-year contract, O'Brien might as well bet on himself and push the chips into the middle of the table by doubling down on himself as the de facto offensive coordinator regardless of job titles.

The Texans finished 29th in total offense and 31st in red-zone offense last season. It's unlikely to think the offense would regress more with O'Brien having a full season at the controls.

It makes sense to think that inserting himself might provide an upgrade to a moribund attack that struggled mightily last season as $72 million quarterback experiment Brock Osweiler threw 16 interceptions.

Could the Texans use some more creative ideas offensively? Absolutely, but their greatest problem is solving a quarterback quandary that's holding back a division champion that's otherwise built to be an annual playoff contender.

htownfan32

Hall of Fame
In other words... no balls. We -cannot- send a message around the league. Everybody knows we're soft all the way through.
Who does sending a message benefit? Honestly? You think axing coaches with impunity makes Houston look... badass? Cool? Swagalicious? What does it do other than that? McNair's goal in life is not to create a reputation for Houston as a shitty home for coaches.

TripleTap

Dead Wood
Bill O'Brien's best play-call at OC may be an audible: hiring himself
By Aaron Wilson

Published 9:50 pm, Monday, January 16, 2017

After making the difficult, yet necessary call of jettisoning longtime friend George Godsey as his offensive coordinator, fiery coach Bill O'Brien has a big decision to make about the direction of the Texans' beleaguered offense.

O'Brien's next, best and most logical play-calling decision should be hiring himself for the job, formally or
I hope this was reprinted here to demonstrate just how far Aaron Wilson has his head up his own whatchmacallit. The absolute LAST thing needed now is Bill O'Brien calling the plays in this pathetic and unimaginative offense. I mean, really. The only virtue in getting shut of Godsey is that maybe we can hire a real OC and give him a chance to remake the offense into something resembling a 2017-issue NFL offense.

I mean, really.

texanhead08

All Pro
I hope this was reprinted here to demonstrate just how far Aaron Wilson has his head up his own whatchmacallit. The absolute LAST thing needed now is Bill O'Brien calling the plays in this pathetic and unimaginative offense. I mean, really. The only virtue in getting shut of Godsey is that maybe we can hire a real OC and give him a chance to remake the offense into something resembling a 2017-issue NFL offense.

I mean, really.

I agree O'Brien has enough issues with challenges and clock management when he isn't calling plays. It would be a bad move in my opinion if he took over play calling duties now. He needs to swallow his pride and hire a real OC and hand over the keys to the offense. We all know when the coach fires a coordinator if things don't improve he is next.

Reactions: ROO

Byrds Man

Waterboy
I may be kicked off the forum for suggesting this, but I think Peyton Manning would make an outstanding OC. He certainly be more aggressive than OB.

Malloy

Hall of Fame
I may be kicked off the forum for suggesting this, but I think Peyton Manning would make an outstanding OC. He certainly be more aggressive than OB.
Dont think anyone around here has anything against Manning... He tossed us around for years, I blame us for that mostly :)

ObsiWan

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
If O'Brien would choose Kelly as his OC, as good an offensive mind that he is, he could leave behind some of his his style of play and still enjoin O'Brien's...........and tweek it some along the way with his own known style......potentially the best of both worlds.
Doesn't Kelly's offense require a QB with pretty decent-to-good mobility?
Do you think we have that guy on our roster?