Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans Acquire Gareon Conley DB from the Raiders for a Third round pick

Mollywhopper

Facilitator
Staff member
Ya, he also said Jacobs is one of the best young rbs to come into the league in a long time..

as though C McCaffrey and S Barkley didn't just come into the league in each of the last two years..

and I very much like Jacobs, but if we're going to judge hyperbole..

Uncle Rico

Ur apology should be as loud as Ur disrespect was
Ya, he also said Jacobs is one of the best young rbs to come into the league in a long time..

as though C McCaffrey and S Barkley didn't just come into the league in each of the last two years..

and I very much like Jacobs, but if we're going to judge hyperbole..
Goodness .. 'non sequitur' .. 'false dichotomy' .. which one to choose??

so by him mentioning Jacobs success, he somehow diminishes CMAC or Saquon?? How do you perceive that?

Josh Jacobs is KILLING his rookie season. EVERYONE is lining up trying to stop him, and he just runs through contact, dude has like a 90 grade so far this year! Saquon rookie year? 85. CMAC rookie year? 82.7

Yeah, yeah, yeah "the year isnt over grrrrrr" .. we can revisit this topic at the end of the year if you want.

Weird attack.

Mollywhopper

Facilitator
Staff member
Dude, breathe..

I didn't say anything bad about Jacobs. Quite the opposite if you actually read my post.

It was about his use of hyperbole, like I said rather clearly in the very same post.

Unless of course you think it's actually been a long time since a top back came into the league.

Attack? lol..

Uncle Rico

Dude, breathe..

I didn't say anything bad about Jacobs. Quite the opposite if you actually read my post.

It was about his use of hyperbole, like I said rather clearly in the very same post.

Unless of course you think it's actually been a long time since a top back came into the league.

Attack? lol..
Well metrics show that Josh Jacobs IS the best rookie RB to come into the league in quite some time, I mean he's not fabricating and only a few would think he's exaggerating when dealing with raw numbers, if you dont like the way he delivered the data well then, thats kinda your deal right?

Further context, Josh Jacobs through 7 weeks is only behind Marshon Lattimore's 2017 rookie season of 94.1 in terms of rookie production. But yeah hyperbole.

Mollywhopper

Facilitator
Staff member
Raw numbers? Have you seen McCaffrey's this season?

If you think Jacobs is definitively a better back than both Barkley and McCaffrey then that's kinda your deal..

And again, I've liked Jacobs since well before Oakland.

Uncle Rico

If this kid has any competitive juices they should be flowing in a torrential manner this Sunday @ NRG.
Agreed. He knows what Chucky and that offense likes to do, if he's not out there making plays it will be a disappointment.

Uncle Rico

Raw numbers? Have you seen McCaffrey's this season?

If you think Jacobs is definitively a better back than both Barkley and McCaffrey then that's kinda your deal..

And again, I've liked Jacobs since well before Oakland.
Oh okay so we are going to move the goal posts and bring up CMACs sophomore season when comparing Jacobs. Got it. I was under the impression we were still talking about rookie seasons, I guess I lose this debate. Aw shucks.

Mollywhopper

Facilitator
Staff member
Oh okay so we are going to move the goal posts and bring up CMACs sophomore season when comparing Jacobs. Got it. I was under the impression we were still talking about rookie seasons, I guess I lose this debate. Aw shucks.
Lol.

Sure then. Saquon Barkley and Christian McCaffrey aren't comparably great backs compared to Josh Jacobs. You win.

No hyperbole there, bud.

Mollywhopper

Facilitator
Staff member
I don't care how it's sliced.

Saying any back coming into the league in 2019 is the best back in a long time is abject nonsense..

Todd Gurley
Saquon Barkley
Christian McCaffrey
Zeke Elliot
Alvin Kamara
Dalvin Cook
etc.

This league is top heavy with terrific young rbs.

Comical abject uninformed nonsense..

Uncle Rico

And subjectivity is alive and well, but lets make sure we ignore the data, that would be bad for certain arguments, but yea great I have a list of favorite players too, Cool!

Psss lets remember what the baseline was for this neat, little exercise - rookie seasons!! You are taking the idea of the premise and forgetting what the actual arguing point is.

Shall I post the data about each one of those RBs rookie seasons for comparisons sake? Or will it just continue to turn into a MollyWhopper's favorite RB List?

Obviously things can change, through 7 weeks of their rookie seasons Josh Jacobs is the best RB to date in the PFF metrics model.

I would say best RB ever, but then you might blow a fuse.

Mollywhopper

Facilitator
Staff member
My fuses are fine. I find you very funny actually.

And favorites have nothing to do with anything here. Pretty obvious. It's best backs to come in the league lately. Period.

Saying _________ is the best back in a long time in 2019 is silly.

But please, do continue losing your sh*t about a nonsensical statement that you've made your passion to defend for some reason..

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
LOL okay so the cutoff at "all in" is a 2nd round pick. Got it!
I admit I was wrong when I said Chris Harris would be a Texans if we had a first to give. Seems like they only wanted a 2nd & the Texans thought Conley was a better deal for a third.

He said one of the best, or the best?

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Seems like every team we play has a TE nemesis.

Raiders tight end Darren Waller will keep the Texans' defense busy

By: Avery Duncan | October 24, 2019 4:44 pm ET

From Austin Hooper to Eric Ebron to Travis Kelce, the Houston Texans have seen their fair share of menacing tight ends in 2019. However, what they haven’t seen is a menacing, emerging star with wide receiver athleticism at the position.

They will get to see that on Sunday; when Oakland Raiders’ Darren Waller comes into town.

Formerly a wide receiver at Georgia Tech and the Baltimore Ravens, Waller much of the early years of his NFL career off the field, as he dealt with suspensions related to drug abuse. In 2018, the Raiders gave him a shot. While cleaning up his act, he converted to tight end.

The culmination of Waller’s transition to tight end and dedication to rehabilitation — as he explained in HBO’s “Hard Knocks” — is one of the NFL’s best at the position. Through six games in 2019, he has 44 receptions for 485 yards and two touchdowns.

Raiders coach Jon Gruden describes Waller’s impact on the team, and how quickly he knew he found a diamond in the rough, that could shred the Texans on Sunday.

“We got him last year from the Ravens and he came out in the very first practice, we all came inside and said that’s our best player. He’s the most talented guy on our team,” said Gruden in a Wednesday conference call. “He runs 4.4. That’s certified coming out of Georgia Tech. He did it at the combine. Now he’s 6-foot-5 and he’s almost 260 pounds, and his skillset is unbelievable.”

THE REST OF THE STORY

Last edited:

Bulldog

Practice Squad
Rough start for Conley who got burned multiple times and was saved by drops on other plays.

hopefully it gets better.

Uncle Rico

sucked in man, sucked in zone. looked like his film.

shrug. "he needs more time, he just got here"

sure, what else can we do cut him? LOL

welsh texan

You may say I’m a dreamer but I’m not the only one
RAC is pretty good at finding what defenders do well and playing to it. Might not have figured it out just yet. Hope it isnt Colvin 2.0 once Joseph and Roby get back on the field.

LikeMike

Veteran
sucked in man, sucked in zone. looked like his film.

shrug. "he needs more time, he just got here"

sure, what else can we do cut him? LOL
For a guy that came in just days ago and played against his old team - with our depleted secondary, he did a pretty good job. Two passes deflected one of which was the defensive play of the game. He got burned on a long TD throw without safety help on a pretty good route and throw. Sure he wasn't great but under those circumstances I don't think there is reason for pessimism. He showed promise and some flaws... let's give him time ;-).

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
For a guy that came in just days ago and played against his old team - with our depleted secondary, he did a pretty good job. Two passes deflected one of which was the defensive play of the game. He got burned on a long TD throw without safety help on a pretty good route and throw. Sure he wasn't great but under those circumstances I don't think there is reason for pessimism. He showed promise and some flaws... let's give him time ;-).
UR not being pessimistic?

UR giving a guy time to adjust to a new system?

LMAO

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
For a guy that came in just days ago and played against his old team - with our depleted secondary, he did a pretty good job.
I thought he did good. I was most impressed with his willingness to stick his nose in there & tackle. I thought it was said that he wasn't about that life.

He's not Kareem, but he wasn't afraid to mix it up

LikeMike

Veteran
I know it’s only been 2 games - but man is this guy good at finishing competing catches. That's at least three times now where he punched the ball lose at the last second - and at most important times. He has looked really good for us so far, I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up as our #1 cb before the end of the season. Good trade!

edo783

Hall of Fame
I know it’s only been 2 games - but man is this guy good at finishing competing catches. That's at least three times now where he punched the ball lose at the last second - and at most important times. He has looked really good for us so far, I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up as our #1 cb before the end of the season. Good trade!
I agree, he has played much better than I was expecting. Seems to do a fair job of tackling also which is also a nice surprise. Hope he keeps it up!!

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Thanks for the link. A poor tackling corner seems very un-RAC-like... interesting. On the Waller TD, Conley made a poor attempt at a tackle. He should have stopped him short of the end zone.
Maybe not a Dunta Robinson, but he went head-on two or three times vs Fournette so he's looking like a willing tackler in rushing plays so not nearly as bad as advertised.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
He didn't fit the Oakland scheme very well. Sometimes it's as simple as that. That's why I was happy with the trade.
& some teams have bad coaches. We should know. Defensively we got some good ones.

Reactions: JB

Uncle Rico

Again RAC with that Barry White press conference just smooth operating all the questions. I like that. Anywho: Its interesting to hear him mention the "what are they good at line" in his comment. The big debate was that Conley was this press man phenom and that was what he was good at, thus why he didnt succeed in OAK. RAC skirts pointing fingers by simply saying he hasnt "studied" any of the systems they were in (man has been in football for 40 years, you can give him a name of a DC and he can instantly tell you his defense) anyway ... he goes on to say "once we identify what they are good at .. we can ask them to DO MORE." important context there for everyone to pay attention to. RAC runs a system where he WOULD DEFINITELY prefer to run guys on the islands that dont need any help, but you cant have guys that ONLY DO THAT.

I think both of these players have flourished in a system that is "fun" to play for DBs. Guys are moving all the time, they keep everything in front and limit the "poster catches/TDs".

If RAC had the offensive firepower on the defense that O'Brien does on the offense we would have the top rated defense in the NFL probably, thats how good of a coordinator RAC is, some of you guys sell him far short.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Occasionally, RAC has a plan that falls far short
True,

Conley/Hargreaves were really good midseason pickups. Luckily they were available. Without them the Texans wouldn't have had a chance to make the playoffs. A 3rd rd pick is a very small price to pay to make the playoffs.

I'm liking the new direction.

Rich Schmidt

Myopicone
"hE dOeSnT hAvE tHe tAlEnT hE nEeDs tO rUn hIs sYsTeM"
I think RAC now has plus CB depth, good across missing the #1. Safeties are fine, ILB is strong, nose is pro bowl, some other run stuffers that are solid, Charles O is versatile. Mercilus, Scarlett and Martin are maybe a bit of a minus at edge. RAC has enough talent now after the secondary was shored up and got healthy. Agree we fired the big bullets to move the OL forward, but the rest were minor like swapping Hyde/Rankin, 3rd for Duke, second for Stills with a 4th/6th also in return. I do think a little above average on D with a top 5 offense can get it done.

Uncle Rico

I think RAC now has plus CB depth, good across missing the #1. Safeties are fine, ILB is strong, nose is pro bowl, some other run stuffers that are solid, Charles O is versatile. Mercilus, Scarlett and Martin are maybe a bit of a minus at edge. RAC has enough talent now after the secondary was shored up and got healthy. Agree we fired the big bullets to move the OL forward, but the rest were minor like swapping Hyde/Rankin, 3rd for Duke, second for Stills with a 4th/6th also in return. I do think a little above average on D with a top 5 offense can get it done.
Im sorry, but having depth in the secondary doesnt equate to having proven commodities. Pull up all the PFF grades for the players you reference and gain valuable insight into what you are trying to sell me. You are operating in the "potential" realm, and while some of the new additions have had some nice games and moments, you cant bank on them doing that every game, until it DOES become the norm. Trending in the positive, no doubt, but I think its best to temper the expectation, and even more to proclaim that the defense who is ranked bottom 5 vs the pass, and bottom 1/3 vs the run and overall is just a below average unit is filled with "talent" ... its cool to be a superfan, but we need to remain realistic.

What has Mercilus done since like week 3? He was supposed to jump right in for Clowney and the guy has been MIA for a few months now. Guess he cant fight through the double teams the same way? Our best safety has what seems to be a degenerative shoulder condition, our TE whisperer is a loud speaker. I do think our MLBs are above NFL average, but Reader is the only force on the DL. Martin is showing some flashes, but again until its done on a consistent basis its all just potential.

There is far more talent on the offensive side of the team, and really that isnt even debatable.

Rich Schmidt

Myopicone
Im sorry, but having depth in the secondary doesnt equate to having proven commodities. Pull up all the PFF grades for the players you reference and gain valuable insight into what you are trying to sell me. You are operating in the "potential" realm, and while some of the new additions have had some nice games and moments, you cant bank on them doing that every game, until it DOES become the norm. Trending in the positive, no doubt, but I think its best to temper the expectation, and even more to proclaim that the defense who is ranked bottom 5 vs the pass, and bottom 1/3 vs the run and overall is just a below average unit is filled with "talent" ... its cool to be a superfan, but we need to remain realistic.

What has Mercilus done since like week 3? He was supposed to jump right in for Clowney and the guy has been MIA for a few months now. Guess he cant fight through the double teams the same way? Our best safety has what seems to be a degenerative shoulder condition, our TE whisperer is a loud speaker. I do think our MLBs are above NFL average, but Reader is the only force on the DL. Martin is showing some flashes, but again until its done on a consistent basis its all just potential.

There is far more talent on the offensive side of the team, and really that isnt even debatable.
We are not disagreeing too much, agree the team identity is pivoting to the offense, time for DW4 and Nuk to carry us versus Watt and Clowney. I just see gifted physical guys giving RAC flexibility in the backfield for the first time since Jjo was fresh here. I think Anthony Weaver is a great DL coach as well. PFF vs my eyes. I see a bad game against the Ravens and the Colts, otherwise the defense played well for their talent (minus soft last drive against NO and Colvin). With the talent RAC has, I don't see top 5 defenses anymore, but get some stops, force field goals, some takeaways and Texans can play with anyone because of talent they have on offense. If BOB and Kelly were better coaches I do think the offensive talent is near unstoppable when DW4 is seeing the D