Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans Acquire Gareon Conley DB from the Raiders for a Third round pick

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Shouldnt be too hard to improve on his line of 18 catches on 26 targets for 266 yards and 4 TDs given up so far this year in pass defense. His peripheral teammates here should help insulate him and hopefully this talent he has can mature, but he's not being asked to blend in, he's being tasked with being the best CB on the roster right now, and that is exactly what he was tasked with in OAK. Cautiously optmistic, but in the end he cant be worse than Philip Gaines can he?
He's not asked to be the best CB on the roster right now. He's being asked to hold the fort down until after the bye until Roby gets back and if Conley can live up to the Ruiz post the Texans will have a solid secondary going into the playoffs.

But hey, you know more about Conley and how he will be used than even RAC does so I will defer to you.

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Tweet from @riversmccown: So why were the Raiders willing to cut bait on Gareon Conley? Jon Gruden has benched him before, and these are just the coverage highlights of what happened to him against Green Bay last week. Not even including his run defense. https://t.co/jrQaZzGs2x

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Gareon Conley's flashes are worth buying in on

... you’ve got two of the most impulsive NFL head coaches teaming up to make a deal that, on the surface, I think is actually pretty fair for both sides. It reminds me a lot of the Eli Apple trade last season. Apple got dealt for a fourth-rounder and a seventh-rounder, and I think we can probably say Apple doesn’t have Conley’s ceiling.

https://www.riversmccown.com/2019/10/23/gareon-conleys-flashes-are-worth-buying-in-on/

Last edited by a moderator:

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
Watson's gonna get $30m+ average.

Tunsil will probably get $17-18m average.

Mercilus is gonna cost more than the $12m he's getting now. Probably 16-17 and will have earned it.

DJ Reader will get something between 5-7 average.

What gets spread out is "Bonus Money".

Still have to sign a CB or two ….

A lot depends upon what they do with Watson and Tunsil - Do they take the 5th year options and extend beyond that or do they just extend them without that 5th year option - That could give them a one year window to splurge on other positions before they have to pay those two.
The contract system is more complicated and not as simplified as you are making it. A lot more gets spread out than just bonus money.

Russell Wilson only accounts for 26m to the cap this year for Seattle. His cash payout was 70m. Total contract value is 140m. Annual contract value is 35m. His largest cap hit will be in 2023 for 39m.

With the amount of money we are going to have we should be able to make it work.

https://overthecap.com/player/russell-wilson/1569/

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Just talent wise, based off draft selection Roby, Johnson, & Conley should be pretty stout with good coaching.

I'm not saying we have good coaches, I'm saying Denver & Oakland do not & ours is on notice. No more excuses
Give Conley some time to get adjusted. I mean he's only been here a week.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Man yall acting like man coverage is our bread and butter on defense . He will press some and play 10 yards off some. Therefore, you have to grade how he does all around.

How does he play the run?
If it develops that we have coverage guys that will be our bread and butter.

I'm thinking the floor for Reader is about 7m …. no clue about the ceiling.

Mercilus 15-17 and I think that's pretty good value assuming he keeps up his level of play.

Still a lot to do roster wise - not having draft picks isn't going to help.
I agree but Merci may go elsewhere and Reader also

badboy

Hall of Fame
Man yall acting like man coverage is our bread and butter on defense . He will press some and play 10 yards off some. Therefore, you have to grade how he does all around.

How does he play the run?
If it develops that we have coverage guys that will be our bread and butter.

I'm thinking the floor for Reader is about 7m …. no clue about the ceiling.

Mercilus 15-17 and I think that's pretty good value assuming he keeps up his level of play.

Still a lot to do roster wise - not having draft picks isn't going to help.
I agree but Merci may go elsewhere and Reader also
I think he is …. at least based upon the impact he's had so far this year. He's been really solid.

While Clowney was here Mercilus was playing out of position.

Take into account he's making 12m currently. Maybe they get him for 15 ….
Merci cap $7.3 m this season.

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
Absolutely …. people complaining that they got this guy instead of Peter just aren't looking at the big picture. You cant pay everyone and their uncle too , you have to have players outperform contracts when your QB / WR / LT / DE / OLB are all making big money.

The way the cap and contracts are - those 3rd - 5th years of the rookie deals on those premium positions are when you can put your best teams on the field.

Really going to be interesting how they handle Watson & Tunsil on extensions - do they get them on the 5th year of rookie deals or not ?

If you were either one of them would you start next season on a rookie contract?

You'd be crazy if so. Not only would it be foolish for you as a player to take the further risk without a proper compensation, but the team would have nowhere else to turn so there would be pretty much no risk. If I'm Tunsil, I'm like you're paying me. I didn't ask to come here. You traded a fortune for me. Pay me what I'm worth, because we both know you think I'm worth the biggest trade value ever at my position, so cough up the dough. Texans are paying them both this off season.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
Better system fit in Houston and supporting cast. Texans now have:

two underachieving 1st round CBs in Roby/Conley

one old 1st round CB in Jo Jo

and one 2nd round CB in Lonnie

It stinks OB continues to mortgage the future giving away draft picks like they’re candy. But Conley is a good risk/reward pickup. Especially with the injuries at CB currently they wont find a better talent on the street.
Similar to when the Oilers traded many picks for old worn-out Raiders during the Bum Phillips era.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
I doubt that most here know of this kid's disastrous Draft history.

He was projected as a 2017 top 10 Draft prospect...............until conveniently 2 days before the Draft, a young lady brought forth accusations of rape that supposedly occurred the second week of that April (2 weeks before the Draft)...........the night she first learned about who Conley was, including that he was a star football player at Ohio State and was soon to be a high Draft prospect into the NFL. When this all occurred Conley agreed to take a lie detector test just prior to the Draft, which he passed. Unfortunately, a lot of the damage had already been done, but the Raiders did their own due research and took Conley at 24 in the 1st round. After the Draft, the young lady immediately brought civil suit against Conley $$$$$$$$. A grand jury was convened and found that the accusations were entirely fabricated and saw no basis to indict. As it turned out, his accuser had sought him out and aggressively tried to have sex with him during the night in question, but he turned her down..........then asked her to leave and she was embarrassed and angered and sought reprisal. Conley was never arrested, nor were any charges ever brought. A DNA test cleared his name entirely. Conley filed a countersuit July 2018 stating that the false allegations seriously damaged his reputation, hurt his Draft stock and cost him multiple endorsement deals including a huge contract with Nike.

Feedback I've received is that the Texans see a great young man...... a hard worker that has never truly had the opportunity to attain his true playing potential.

Last edited:

markn

All Pro

He was projected as a 2017 top 10 Draft prospect...............until conveniently 2 days before the Draft, a young lady brought forth accusations of rape that supposedly occurred the second week of that April (2 weeks before the Draft)...........the night she first learned about who Conley was, including that he was a star football player at Ohio State and was soon to be a high Draft prospect into the NFL. This all occurred Conley agreed to take a lie detector test just prior to the Draft, which he passed. Unfortunately, a lot of the damage had already been done, but the Raiders did their own due research and took Conley at 24 in the 1st round. After the Draft, the young lady immediately brought civil suit against Conley $$$$$$$$. A grand jury was convened and found that the accusations were entirely fabricated and saw no basis to indict. As it turned out, his accuser had sought him out and aggressively tried to have sex with him during the night in question, but he turned her down..........then asked her to leave and she was embarrassed and angered and sought reprisal. Conley was never arrested, nor were any charges ever brought. A DNA test cleared his name entirely. Conley filed a countersuit July 2018 stating that the false allegations seriously damaged his reputation, hurt his Draft stock and cost him multiple endorsement deals including a huge contract with Nike.

Feedback I've received is that the Texans see a great young man...... a hard worker that has never truly had the opportunity to attain his true playing potential.
It goes without saying because I want all Texans players to thrive, but having read this, I really want this guy to be a success for us now. Thanks for sharing.

Texas Jake

Rookie
I am hoping that he and Roby can become two good, shutdown corners for us. They both seem to have the potential if we can coach them up. RAC and his staff have done a good job in the past in developing DBs. Unfortunately, he hasnt had much talent at CB to work with in the past couple of seasons.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
@AaronWilson_NFL
Jon Gruden on Gareon Conley: 'They got a good young player and a good guy. Getting a third-round draft choice gives us five picks in top 90. We certainly wish Gareon the best. I'm happy he got hooked on with good team and a great coach'

Jon Gruden on Gareon Conley: 'He's had some injuries. There was a coaching change. Got hurt again late last year, opening game this year, came right back. He's got coverage ability, the amount of man to man they play will be right up his alley'

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Raiders have 0 pass rush...Amazing to me how they beat

He was projected as a 2017 top 10 Draft prospect...............until conveniently 2 days before the Draft, a young lady brought forth accusations of rape that supposedly occurred the second week of that April (2 weeks before the Draft)...........the night she first learned about who Conley was, including that he was a star football player at Ohio State and was soon to be a high Draft prospect into the NFL. When this all occurred Conley agreed to take a lie detector test just prior to the Draft, which he passed. Unfortunately, a lot of the damage had already been done, but the Raiders did their own due research and took Conley at 24 in the 1st round. After the Draft, the young lady immediately brought civil suit against Conley $$$$$$$$. A grand jury was convened and found that the accusations were entirely fabricated and saw no basis to indict. As it turned out, his accuser had sought him out and aggressively tried to have sex with him during the night in question, but he turned her down..........then asked her to leave and she was embarrassed and angered and sought reprisal. Conley was never arrested, nor were any charges ever brought. A DNA test cleared his name entirely. Conley filed a countersuit July 2018 stating that the false allegations seriously damaged his reputation, hurt his Draft stock and cost him multiple endorsement deals including a huge contract with Nike.

interesting that we now have 2 guys on the roster who had people try to sabotage them on draft day.

Uncle Rico

Ur apology should be as loud as Ur disrespect was
Putting the false accusations drama aside, and just looking at the football aspect, what I am garnering is that Gareon Conley should have been an even HIGHER draft pick? Ok. Not the talent I've seen on film. Now the Mighty Houston TExan Coaching Staff see's a "great young man who hasnt realized his true potential or had the OPPORTUNITY" such a confusing statement. I didnt know this was the team that found diamonds in the rough and developed NFL starters from busts, Conley has been through TWO DIFFERENT COACHING STAFFS, TWO DIFFERENT COVERAGE SCHEMES, and yet he's still average on his best days.

HOnest question how many players has this staff actually developed? Their best players came from a rogue GM, and the personnel departments of other teams.

Are "kind" words from Chucky really going to hold any water when Conley is burned the first time? What was Chucky supposed to say? He pulled an O'Brien, was pissed that the dude was burned all day by the Pack and shipped his ass out, i honestly wish they would have signed the kid from the Houston area on that team instead of Conley and they actually recieved a decent return of a 3rd round pick in lieu of what OBrien did with Colvin and just cutting outright and eating all the dead money. Proactive vs Reactive.

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
Putting the false accusations drama aside, and just looking at the football aspect, what I am garnering is that Gareon Conley should have been an even HIGHER draft pick? Ok. Not the talent I've seen on film. Now the Mighty Houston TExan Coaching Staff see's a "great young man who hasnt realized his true potential or had the OPPORTUNITY" such a confusing statement. I didnt know this was the team that found diamonds in the rough and developed NFL starters from busts, Conley has been through TWO DIFFERENT COACHING STAFFS, TWO DIFFERENT COVERAGE SCHEMES, and yet he's still average on his best days.

HOnest question how many players has this staff actually developed? Their best players came from a rogue GM, and the personnel departments of other teams.

Are "kind" words from Chucky really going to hold any water when Conley is burned the first time? What was Chucky supposed to say? He pulled an O'Brien, was pissed that the dude was burned all day by the Pack and shipped his ass out, i honestly wish they would have signed the kid from the Houston area on that team instead of Conley and they actually recieved a decent return of a 3rd round pick in lieu of what OBrien did with Colvin and just cutting outright and eating all the dead money. Proactive vs Reactive.

Does this mean you don't like the trade?

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
Here's the thing, I'm not fond of RAC's "bend don't break" mindset and don't think he is aggressive enough BUT he does get things out of players that no one else does or thinks they have any more. Everyone thought badger was done and then he comes here and has a season that lands him a cool 14 mil contract. Goes to KC and he's been pretty much a non-factor. Clowney wasn't great here but he was far better than what he has been at Seattle. Meanwhile Mercilus and Reader are having banner years when many thought they might be decent but not game changers.

The talent is there with this kid and yes I think RAC can get it out of him. Its just how he will then use that talent that concerns me.

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Aren't the position coachs as important as the DC ?
D-Back coach is a guy named Anthony Midget who's assistant is D'Anton Lynn.
Anybody got anything on either of these guys, know anything about their abilities or success as defensive backs coaches ?

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame

He played 1 1/2 games under the coaching staff he was drafted by...........when he came back last year, he played for a staff that changed the D scheme to virtually all cover, and didn't want any holdovers. I'd say most people would consider that playing essentially under one coaching staff and essentially under one overall very failed coverage scheme.

During the 2018 NFL season, the Oakland Raiders defense was one of the most inconsistent groups in all of football. With only 13 sacks as a team, the pass rush was historically bad, and the flawed secondary scheme showed to be debilitating throughout the year.................patterns that seem to have carried over to 2019.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame

If we used your logic, your boy Kareem Jackson wouldn't have even lasted past his 1st 2 seasons here.........he was god awful those 1st 2 seasons. In contrast, the guy you've been blasting literally just finished 1 full season of games in the NFL.

He could be every bit as terrible as you're saying........but he could also be much better than the tape shows on him in our scheme. Regardless, a he's a 1st round talent worth taking a shot on......Unless you'd prefer we go out & sign Shareece Wright again...

badboy

Hall of Fame
Aren't the position coachs as important as the DC ?
D-Back coach is a guy named Anthony Midget who's assistant is D'Anton Lynn.
Anybody got anything on either of these guys, know anything about their abilities or success as defensive backs coaches ?
The Texans website has some general background.

Dutchrudder

Hall of Fame
A 3rd seems a bit high price for a guy who has missed 1 of the 2 seasons he's been in the league. Hopefully he doesn't have injury issues with us and can play. He's a relatively cheap contract, and if he works out well, they can pick up that 5th year option from him being a 1st round pick. I dunno about this one, just seems expensive for a guy who needs a lot of work to meet that value.

Uncle Rico

Ur apology should be as loud as Ur disrespect was
If we used your logic, your boy Kareem Jackson wouldn't have even lasted past his 1st 2 seasons here.........he was god awful those 1st 2 seasons. In contrast, the guy you've been blasting literally just finished 1 full season of games in the NFL.

He could be every bit as terrible as you're saying........but he could also be much better than the tape shows on him in our scheme. Regardless, a he's a 1st round talent worth taking a shot on......Unless you'd prefer we go out & sign Shareece Wright again...
Shareece Wright!!

I'll just keep bitching about Conley, and you guys can keep drinking kool aid and hoping that unicorns come flying down the next rainbow and give Bill O'Brien a wet kissy on his chin dimple and POOF we magically turn into a great NFL football team! :kitten:

PS: My boy KJAX is freaking BALLING this year BTW!! 84.5 PFF grade, he would be the best defensive back we have right now, PLUS he can play multiple spots (you know that 'versatility' thing your coach loves so much) he would be a MAJOR contributor in run support - 100X better than Bradley Roby, but then again Im biased for homegrown talent that can actually play. His first few years he was a flag machine, but his run support never faltered. Bradley Roby and Conley arent going to mix it up like KJAX.

Here ya'll go so you yall can remember what good DB play looked like:

Last edited:

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Shareece Wright!!

I'll just keep bitching about Conley, and you guys can keep drinking kool aid and hoping that unicorns come flying down the next rainbow and give Bill O'Brien a wet kissy on his chin dimple and POOF we magically turn into a great NFL football team! :kitten:

PS: My boy KJAX is freaking BALLING this year BTW!! 84.5 PFF grade, he would be the best defensive back we have right now, PLUS he can play multiple spots (you know that 'versatility' thing your coach loves so much) he would be a MAJOR contributor in run support - 100X better than Bradley Roby, but then again Im biased for homegrown talent that can actually play. His first few years he was a flag machine, but his run support never faltered. Bradley Roby and Conley arent going to mix it up like KJAX.

Here ya'll go so you yall can remember what good DB play looked like:

Then why does their defense still suck ass?

mws

Rookie
The Broncos are ranked #3 in the league in passing yards given up per game where as the Texans are ranked #29.

1. 49ers: Passing Yards Per Game 133.5
2. Patriots: Passing Yards Per Game 148.4
3. Broncos: Passing Yards Per Game 195.3
29. Texans: Passing Yards Per Game 275.6

The Broncos are ranked #8 in the league in passing points given up per game where as the Texans are ranked #18.

1. Patriots: Passing Points Per Game 6.9
2. 49ers: Passing Points Per Game 10.7
3. Bills: Passing Points Per Game 15.2
4. Titans: Passing Points Per Game 16
5. Bears: Passing Points Per Game 17.5
6. Vikings: Passing Points Per Game 17.6
7. Cowboys: Passing Points Per Game 17.7
8. Broncos: Passing Points Per Game 19.4
18. Texans: Passing Points Per Game 23.4

You can see the stats here.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
The Broncos are ranked #3 in the league in passing yards given up per game where as the Texans are ranked #29.

1. 49ers: Passing Yards Per Game 133.5
2. Patriots: Passing Yards Per Game 148.4
3. Broncos: Passing Yards Per Game 195.3
29. Texans: Passing Yards Per Game 275.6

The Broncos are ranked #8 in the league in passing points given up per game where as the Texans are ranked #18.

1. Patriots: Passing Points Per Game 6.9
2. 49ers: Passing Points Per Game 10.7
3. Bills: Passing Points Per Game 15.2
4. Titans: Passing Points Per Game 16
5. Bears: Passing Points Per Game 17.5
6. Vikings: Passing Points Per Game 17.6
7. Cowboys: Passing Points Per Game 17.7
8. Broncos: Passing Points Per Game 19.4
18. Texans: Passing Points Per Game 23.4

You can see the stats here.
Those points per game are total, not just passing

Denver is so bad at run defense (107.3 ypg) teams don't need to pass as much. Houston is tied for 3rd with Baltimore (84.3)

Mr teX

Hall of Fame

Denver is so bad at run defense (107.3 ypg) teams don't need to pass as much. Houston is tied for 3rd with Baltimore (84.3)
this is true...Fournette had a career day against them rushing for over 200 yds.

they’ve also only played 2 qbs of note to this point...Rodgers had no trouble airing it out on them when he needed to...matter fact, the 1 pass TD Rodgers had was on K-Jax...

mws

Rookie

I can use the same logic.

Houston is so bad at pass defense (275.6 ypg) teams don't need to run as much. Denver is 3rd (195.3)

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
Would you take anything less than a third for Fuller?

Little bit different situation - Fuller has been pretty good when healthy.(Aside from a few drops)

One thing for sure , when he's busting the top off of defenses this offense is totally different.

But … I really don't know how I feel about him. He's not a #1 and I'm not sold he's a #2 either.

edo783

Hall of Fame
I think he is worth it even though he seems a bit delicate. As long as his salary doesn't get too big and Stills sticks around I think we should keep him. Great down field threat!

LikeMike

Veteran
The Texans attempted to trade for Chris Harris Jr. before trading for Gareon Conley, per @AlbertBreer.

Breer thinks it’ll take a 2nd-rounder for Elway trade CHJ.

— Zac Stevens (@ZacStevensDNVR) October 25, 2019
I am conflicted on this. He had a subpar year, comes expensive and isn't the guy to cover outside speedsters... on the other hand he is a proven pro-bowler. I think I prefer Conley here, if RAC has really seen something that makes him believe, that he can get the most out of his high potential...

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
I think he is worth it even though he seems a bit delicate. As long as his salary doesn't get too big and Stills sticks around I think we should keep him. Great down field threat!
In a vacuum I would agree but when you factor in the other contracts we need to sign having both Fuller and Stills means giving up someone at another position. Who would you cut to keep both of them?

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
I can use the same logic.

Houston is so bad at pass defense (275.6 ypg) teams don't need to run as much. Denver is 3rd (195.3)
Yes I know. I wasn't saying Texans defense was good, just that you weren't telling the entire story