Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans Acquire Gareon Conley DB from the Raiders for a Third round pick

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
Possibly, but consider this: the team has a shot this year, but the defensive backs are dropping like flies. If OB doesn't make a move to fix the position, you can kiss this year goodbye. You do what you have to do to salvage the season if you think you've got a shot.
Yep. And I seem to recall a lot of ballyhooing of Roby when we got him and yet he has done quite well here.
I'll wait and see how this one pans out before I start with the hype or downerism.

banned1976

sleeper mode
No I'm not I was just responding to a poster letting him know what I feel about UR.

Conley under contract is more than worth a mid 3rd.
I like your optimism. I’m being cautious on Conley enthusiasm until I actually see him play. He’s probably an upgrade to what we have now, how much is yet to be seen. I’ve heard different things about him.

banned1976

sleeper mode
Yep. And I seem to recall a lot of ballyhooing of Roby when we got him and yet he has done quite well here.
I'll wait and see how this one pans out before I start with the hype or downerism.
The issue with the entire secondary this year is that on the whole they haven’t been good. & Roby is part of that whole.

welsh texan

You may say I’m a dreamer but I’m not the only one
Also RAC made it look respectable with Gaines and Crossen getting plenty of time out there. Hopefully Johnson continues to improve.

They are doing something right on D this season. It can look alarming play to play when you see the cushion but they seem to be keeping the offense in most games.

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
That stands out to me. YOu have a guy who WILL place a substantial amount of stock in certain players (Tunsil mainly) and will give up the farm for their supposed potential. Then he will give up 3rd rounder for a scat back/3rd down guy who has not made much of a statement so far. Now you will give up another 3rd for a bust CB who just go lit up by Green Bay??

Why not just sweeten the pot for Patrick Peterson - you know "All In" and all that jazz?
We don't have enough juice to trade for Peterson anymore do we since the Cards want to receive atleast one first round pick and we are down to essentailly late round picks for
a couple years out ?

DanielTx

Veteran
He had a good game locking up Sanders in that division. Hopefully, he can do the same to T.Y Hilton and D.j. Chark. Having Roby star as the #1 lockdown and Lonnie Johnson gaining experience certainly helps us next season. I remember when we had Glover Quinn and released him to the Lions. We didn’t recognize his potential and he became a star. It takes joining a new team for some players to really break out. Let’s see if that’s the case. He’s a first rounder like kj but he can’t be worse than that guy

ATXtexanfan

Hall of Fame
How are his hamstrings?

Isnt playing 10 yds off the ball zone coverage?

I dont hate the move. Hell the homeboy DanielTx called a move yesterday. Kudos to him

As of now the trades have worked out.

Hope he not a mole for Gruden. Weird to trade with a team the weak you play them

TexansFight

Veteran
William O'Brien the GM using the 3rd rounder from the awful Clowney trade on a bust. We need help at CB but this is a ******* joke of a move. Fire this fraud now.

amazing80

Hall of Fame
Most of you have no idea about Conley. This dude was a stud coming out of college before a sexual assault accusation tanked his stock (still went in rd 1). Not only was he found to have not done anything wrong, but he is also suing his accuser because she costs him draft spots and a Nike endorsement. His rookie season was littered with an injury and lawsuit. Last year was basically his rookie season, one he was playing mostly zone.

Conley has good size, good speed, and natural instincts in man to man. He occasionally has tight hips, but he is dangerous when squaring up and pressing WRs at the line. He will shadow guys all day long. I love the value as he has 3 years left on his rookie deal.

RAC better let this kid press the line of scrimmage to get his full potential. I would love to see Conley and JJo outside with Roby in the slot, when everyone is healthy again. At this point I would trade a 2nd for Chris Harris right now. Our secondary is a major problem.

watt99x99

Waterboy
lmao people act like we draft well now days with dumb as OB. rather get experienced upside than wait for next year and wait another 3-5 years them to develope in Texans' System. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

amazing80

Hall of Fame
Opposing quarterbacks clearly noticed early on that targeting Conley proved fruitless, as he was only thrown at 42 times all season. Conley gave up 21 total catches and 3 touchdowns on those targets, allowing only 50 percent of passes coming his way to be completed.

Of those 42 targets, Conley intercepted three passes and dropped one sure interception, which means that 9.5 percent of passes thrown his way should have been intercepted.

If we factor in his 13 pass breakups (good for No. 11 in the NFL), Conley heavily contested or intercepted 40.5 percent of passes thrown his way.
His pass coverage is already elite by the metrics, but Conley doubles up on top-tier skills as a sure-tackler. He made 36 tackles on defense last season and didn’t allow a single broken or missed tackle all year, per Sports Info Solutions.
https://www.silverandblackpride.com/2019/9/4/20840918/by-the-numbers-raiders-cb-gareon-conley-is-already-elite

watt99x99

Waterboy
Also JC we WON JC trade HAHAHHA loving out depth in LBs and JC has 1 sack this season. on top of it their run D was so bad vs ravens. HAHAHHAHAHHAHAHA TOLD YOU!

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I like your optimism. I’m being cautious on Conley enthusiasm until I actually see him play. He’s probably an upgrade to what we have now, how much is yet to be seen. I’ve heard different things about him.
I thought he had Lattimore type talent coming out of OSU. Got hurt, then a regime change. He was a 1st Rd pick for a reason.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I was one of Roby's biggest detractors.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
I will wait to see what this guy brings to the playoffs.

If he doesn’t help there, or we are not in the playoffs, then the trade didn’t payoff the way OB wanted it to.

This guy isn’t a bum, he is a good player for a 3rd round pick.

Do we forget the Kareem Jackson discussions already? Cornerback is a a hard position for rookies to play transitioning to NFL. The guy has proved he can play and fits the win now agenda. It took KJ a few years.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Most of you have no idea about Conley. This dude was a stud coming out of college before a sexual assault accusation tanked his stock (still went in rd 1). Not only was he found to have not done anything wrong, but he is also suing his accuser because she costs him draft spots and a Nike endorsement. His rookie season was littered with an injury and lawsuit. Last year was basically his rookie season, one he was playing mostly zone.

Conley has good size, good speed, and natural instincts in man to man. He occasionally has tight hips, but he is dangerous when squaring up and pressing WRs at the line. He will shadow guys all day long. I love the value as he has 3 years left on his rookie deal.

RAC better let this kid press the line of scrimmage to get his full potential. I would love to see Conley and JJo outside with Roby in the slot, when everyone is healthy again. At this point I would trade a 2nd for Chris Harris right now. Our secondary is a major problem.
Great write up.

What about LJo?

If Conley is as good as I think he will be there could be some pretty good depth at the CB position come playoffs time.

zshawn10

All Pro
New #Texans CB Gareon Conley against the OG Texans-killer, T.Y. Hilton. Love how he uses his length. pic.twitter.com/o8jor7HJix

— Avery Duncan (@averydduncan) October 21, 2019

New #Texans CB Gareon Conley against the other Texans-killer, Zach Pascal. PI on Pascal. pic.twitter.com/0hBVIecT3u

New #Texans CB Gareon Conley vs. JuJu Smith-Schuster. Excellent side-paddle, burst and then play on the ball to force a fourth-down. pic.twitter.com/kabucUmRd1

ATXtexanfan

Hall of Fame
He's got a 2nd a 3rd and two 4ths along with a 6th/7th in next yrs draft.

I want to know where the fallacy started that the Texans dont have any draft picks in 2020?
Tunsil trade duh

Most of us the draft is the superbowl for those who dont win superbowls. Most people hate giving up picks except for a qb in a draft.

I dont like trading the picks. OB has done well with trades recently though. I give a pass on this one. Makes enough sense and we knew CB depth was a problem before season started. Now its next man up lol.

This one looks ok.

People gonna jump OB ass no matter what now. I'm one of them.

And yes we have a few picks

pirbroke

Veteran
He's got a 2nd a 3rd and two 4ths along with a 6th/7th in next yrs draft.

I want to know where the fallacy started that the Texans dont have any draft picks in 2020?
I really don’t care if he traded the rest of next two years of draft picks away, I’m tired of building for the future. Let’s win now while JJ is fairly healthy and Watson is still standing. Trade the rest and go for it, if we fall short go heavy on free agency next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
My usual reaction to anything OB related is typically negative, like this trade. But after reading CNDs comments in the injury thread I don't feel as negative about that aspect of this trade as I did initially. (concerning his injury history)

As to how good he turns out, we'll find out soon enough I imagine.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Tunsil trade duh

Most of us the draft is the superbowl for those who dont win superbowls. Most people hate giving up picks except for a qb in a draft.

I dont like trading the picks. OB has done well with trades recently though. I give a pass on this one. Makes enough sense and we knew CB depth was a problem before season started. Now its next man up lol.

This one looks ok.

People gonna jump OB ass no matter what now. I'm one of them.

And yes we have a few picks
Basically all of their pick plus 4-1.

Minus a 1st which Tunsil was well worth that trade, I think we're in agreement on this. I was hoping RS would trade up for Tunsil as he started to fall in the draft instead of taking WFV.

Go check out the 1st rd of the 2016 draft if you want to feel better about the Tunsil trade.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I really don’t care if he traded the rest of next two years of draft picks away, I’m tired of building for the future. Let’s win now while JJ is fairly healthy and Watson is still standing. Trade the rest and go for it, if we fall short go heavy on free agency next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Like I just put in another thread, google the 2016 Tunsil draft and look at all of the busts. This will make you feel much better about the Tunsil/Stills trade.

ATXtexanfan

Hall of Fame
Basically all of their pick plus 4-1.

Minus a 1st which Tunsil was well worth that trade, I think we're in agreement on this. I was hoping RS would trade up for Tunsil as he started to fall in the draft instead of taking WFV.

Go check out the 1st rd of the 2016 draft if you want to feel better about the Tunsil trade.
Personally I'm glad hes not on an expiring contract. No guarantees Jjo or Roby back next year.

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
Possibly, but consider this: the team has a shot this year, but the defensive backs are dropping like flies. If OB doesn't make a move to fix the position, you can kiss this year goodbye. You do what you have to do to salvage the season if you think you've got a shot.

^^^^ This is the worst strategy possible. The Texans didn't start the year with a SB squad so why in the hell would we trade every potential future asset we have all for one season where we don't have that strong of a chance to win it all any way? This isn't some situation where we have Brees or Brady in their last season and we need to give it everything we've got. This is team that needs to keep itself competitive for every season now that we've got a solid QB.

Reactions: ROO
I have no problem with the Texans making trades. I would've preferred they acquire an established player if they're trading picks. But regardless, at least they're getting a guy that fits the system and can hopefully contribute the next few years.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
I'd rather O'Brien trade all the picks for vets than be in charge of the actual Draft.
Hard to argue with this.

Conley under contract is more than worth a mid 3rd.
When you put it this way "Conley is worth more than Surfer TE", it proves your point.

Like the late, great Al Davis once said, "Just win, baby."

Here's what O'Brien has left to trade from the 2020 draft, and what's gone:

1st - To Miami for Tunsill
2nd - (Texans) - Still here
3rd (Texans) - Still here

3rd (Seahawks in JC trade) - To Raiders for Conley
3rd (Comp for Honey Badger) - To Browns for Duke Johnson
4th - (Dolphins in Tunsil trade) - Still here
4th - (Texans) - Still here
5th - (Texans) - Still here

6th - To Patriots for Crossen
7th - (Texans) - Still here
7th - (Comp for Lamm)
7th - (Comp for Covington)

So, I have the Texans with 8 picks left.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Hard to argue with this.

When you put it this way "Conley is worth more than Surfer TE", it proves your point.

Like the late, great Al Davis once said, "Just win, baby."

Here's what O'Brien has left to trade from the 2020 draft, and what's gone:

1st - To Miami for Tunsill
2nd - (Texans) - Still here
3rd (Texans) - Still here

3rd (Seahawks in JC trade) - To Raiders for Conley
3rd (Comp for Honey Badger) - To Browns for Duke Johnson
4th - (Dolphins in Tunsil trade) - Still here
4th - (Texans) - Still here
5th - (Texans) - Still here

6th - To Patriots for Crossen
7th - (Texans) - Still here
7th - (Comp for Lamm)
7th - (Comp for Covington)

So, I have the Texans with 8 picks left.
Plus 4-1 is like another 3rd.

If they want to trade into the 1st rd they certainly have the ability to do so. I hope they trade 1 of those 3rds for a 2021 pick.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
This must be some kind of a joke. We gave up a third we just got to replace the third we should have got... for this guy? WTF?

Somebody needs to put a leash on O'Brien & yank dafah out of it. What are we going to do with this guy? He's not ready to start. Not here. Playing up on the LOS, putting hands on receivers, knocking balls down... pffft that's if he doesn't catch it. smdh.

We're going to have to explain how to play with cushion. How to back pedal too long & open his hips too early. Somebody is going to have to teach him to not touch a receiver until after he's secured the ball & taken a 2nd step.

LonnieJ should be able to help him learn how to watch a guy catch a TD in the back of the endzone.

Fkn O'Brien..... hate that guy.

Honoring Earl 34

Something Witty !
This must be some kind of a joke. We gave up a third we just got to replace the third we should have got... for this guy? WTF?

Somebody needs to put a leash on O'Brien & yank dafah out of it. What are we going to do with this guy? He's not ready to start. Not here. Playing up on the LOS, putting hands on receivers, knocking balls down... pffft that's if he doesn't catch it. smdh.

We're going to have to explain how to play with cushion. How to back pedal too long & open his hips too early. Somebody is going to have to teach him to not touch a receiver until after he's secured the ball & taken a 2nd step.

LonnieJ should be able to help him learn how to watch a guy catch a TD in the back of the endzone.

Fkn O'Brien..... hate that guy.
Colvin is on the Redskins or he could be a player coach .