Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans 2015 Free Agency

badboy

Hall of Fame
I stirred up some commentary when I mentioned the possibility of restructuring the March bonus right after JJ got new deal. Here is part of an email I sent to my son dated Oct 7th 2014 giving info from Bleacher Report a source that is frequently ridiculed.

Watt received a $10 million signing bonus. He gets a $10 million roster bonus in March. For cap relief, the 2015 roster bonus can be converted into signing bonus, depending on the Texans’ cap situation next year.

Technically, Watt’s contract is eight years for $108.8 million, but he gets $100 million in new money in the six-year extension.

The extra $8.8 comes from what was left in base salaries from his original four-year contract he signed in 2011. He’ll still get that $8.8 million this year and next year.

Watt’s base salary this year changed from $1.9 million to $907,385. His base salary in 2015 changed from $6.9 million to $9.969 million
I had suggested on this MB that the restructure could be done if if Texans identified a significant player & I assume that has been done.

Per Spotrac , we are at approx $12m space counting top 51 players and that includes $ for draft.

Marshall

Not pretty, but ALIVE!
Trying to figure out how this makes sense. We just signed brand new contracts with $11.65 mil in roster bonuses which could have been signing bonuses and now we're redoing a one year old roster bonus into a signing bonus.

Roster bonus -> savings this year is done as signing bonus

KJ $4.2 mil -> $3.15
Newton $2.25 mil -> $1.8
Hoyer $4.2 mil -> $2.1
Moore $1 mil -> 667k

Prorated those roster bonuses would have been $7.72 mil more cap space i.e. almost exactly what is freed up by converting JJ's.
But the length of those contracts is shorter and won't produce the 2015 Cap Saving that a five year contract does.

dalemurphy

Hall of Fame
Player Stats:

Name: Capspace

Jersey number 10∞

Player awards: Voted MVP by all 32 owners

Honestly, who cares about how much money they save so long as we don't add anyone of value?

I am about to get me some capspace myself. I won't spend another dime on this team until they start winning. I will still watch them, still route for them, but I will not spend another dime on them.
They will spend the money- isnt this year a good example of that? We signed KJ to a long term deal this off-season, on the heels of locking up JJ Watt for the next 7 years... They have added a number of good pieces and have 10 draft picks to make in one month. I can understand not liking the fact that AJ is gone. I can even get behind a complaint that poor cap management in 2010-12 contributed to this situation due to all the restructures. That being said, ghere is no legitimate argument to be made that cutting AJ was about hoarding money.

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
They're putting together a package to bribe the entire membership of Texans Talk to quit running them over the coals all the time. Which is going to be a hell of a lot for some of us.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Not sure where you're seeing this (although it would make sense), but if you've got a source, please share.

Also, I know they didn't approach him about restructuring, as with only one year left on a contract, pay cut and extension are the only options available. Can't restructure a deal in its last year.
No source.... just speculation, trying to read the tea leaves.

They're putting together a package to bribe the entire membership of Texans Talk to quit running them over the coals all the time. Which is going to be a hell of a lot for some of us.
Kinda like that.

ChampionTexan

Hall of Fame
Maybe we can get the Titans or Jags to make us an even bigger offer to keep on going.

Playoffs

Hall of Fame
McClain: "I'll bet you they sign at least another 3 or 4 players by the time OTAs crank up. There's a lot of guys out there who didn't get the kind of offers they wanted, and their financial ambitions are going to have to come down severely."

--TexansAllAccess

Number19

Hall of Fame
...I had suggested on this MB that the restructure could be done if if Texans identified a significant player & I assume that has been done.

Per Spotrac , we are at approx $12m space counting top 51 players and that includes $ for draft.
This is what I just copied over from Spotrac

Total (w/All Active)
$82,832,085...$29,794,884... $17,176,784...$2,850,000...$8,450,000........$140,943,753
Total (w/Top 51)
$76,007,085...$29,780,744...$17,176,784...$2,850,000... $8,450,000........$134,118,753
Cap Space (w/Top 51 & Projected Draft Pool) $5,608,103
Cap Space (w/Top 51) $11,906,993
(edit) And I don't see Dent as being signed. This probably won't show up for a day or two allowing for league approval.

Last edited:

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
McClain: "I'll bet you they sign at least another 3 or 4 players by the time OTAs crank up. There's a lot of guys out there who didn't get the kind of offers they wanted, and their financial ambitions are going to have to come down severely."

--TexansAllAccess
This is pretty much every year isn't it?

Playoffs

Hall of Fame
Jayson Braddock ‏@JaysonBraddock
Chris Myers coming back at a reduced salary would make sense as well. Denver could have a say in that, though.

..asking for $4 mil per year (per SB Nation artcile). Texans would never entertain at that price. As value drops, Stefen could make sense.

The longer C Stefen Wisniewski stays on the market, the more sense he makes for Houston. @BradBiggs reported he had shoulder surgery & was..

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
Jayson Braddock ‏@JaysonBraddock
The Tampa Bay Buccaneers brought in Stefen Wisniewski for a visit at the start of free agency, but haven't signed him. Or not yet, at least. Now we have a reason why: Brad Biggs writes that the lineman is recovering from shoulder surgery, and has been asking for a $4 million per year contract, which no team has been willing to give him.
Link

OK, that's a huge red flag for Wizniwikitsitzy.

DX-TEX

#TomSavageDontCare
I think you left out an "i" in his name, lol. I thought I read an article this week that he was recovering on schedule and expected to be ready by either TC or regular season.
Would you give him 4 million a season not knowing for sure?

ChampionTexan

Hall of Fame
This is what I just copied over from Spotrac
Total (w/All Active)
$82,832,085...$29,794,884... $17,176,784...$2,850,000...$8,450,000........$140,943,753
Total (w/Top 51)
$76,007,085...$29,780,744...$17,176,784...$2,850,0 00... $8,450,000........$134,118,753
Cap Space (w/Top 51 & Projected Draft Pool) $5,608,103
Cap Space (w/Top 51) $11,906,993

(edit) And I don't see Dent as being signed. This probably won't show up for a day or two allowing for league approval.
This is misleading for a couple of reasons. First, by taking the Top 51 and simply adding the projected Draft Pool, you're adding 10 salaries, and there's never going to be a time when the salary cap amount will be determined by 61 salaries. Secondly, using Spotrac's own numbers, only four of those 10 will even be in the top 51 once all of them are signed, and those four will replace the contracts currently sitting at 48-51 and those (per Spotrac) total $2,057,281. With all this, and using Spotrac's contract numbers, and their Draft Pool estimates, the net effect of signing the entire rookie class will be an increase of about $1.5 Million.

Number19

Hall of Fame
This is misleading for a couple of reasons. First, by taking the Top 51 and simply adding the projected Draft Pool, you're adding 10 salaries, and there's never going to be a time when the salary cap amount will be determined by 61 salaries. Secondly, using Spotrac's own numbers, only four of those 10 will even be in the top 51 once all of them are signed, and those four will replace the contracts currently sitting at 48-51 and those (per Spotrac) total $2,057,281. With all this, and using Spotrac's contract numbers, and their Draft Pool estimates, the net effect of signing the entire rookie class will be an increase of about $1.5 Million.
It may or may not be misleading, but the numbers I posted are the numbers posted by Spotrac. It seems all the "experts" have their own way of calculating cap space. For those of us who don't attempt such a complex subject, Spotrac provides a consistant go-bye accessible to anyone.

I understand you're trying to make a point on how this whole process and numbers are manipulated to work out correctly, but all this complexity just makes my brain spin. It's much easier to just go by the numbers posted by Spotrac.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Would you give him 4 million a season not knowing for sure?
No and would not have to. If someone was going to pay $4, he'd be under contract. Like with every player, have to see injury report...he will probably sign a 1-2 "show me" deal.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Link

OK, that's a huge red flag for Wizniwikitsitzy.
That he just had labrum surgery?

Or that if TB won't pay him with their needs and cap room, then...? :fingergun:

I might be able to offer some insight as to why Wisniewski is still homeless.

Wis has been a pretty reliable pass protector.....not so much run blocker. As opposed to run blocking, the shoulder is much more a factor in pass protection, as the arm cannot usually be kept in front of him.........With the arm more outstretched away from his body, it must typically take a lot of torque while trying to holding back and stop the rushing D player from running around (to his side). After a shoulder labrum surgery, the ability to perform the latter will normally have come into question. Following a 2nd shoulder surgery, that question becomes much more concerning...............yes, this is his 2nd shoulder surgery.

In 2012, Wisniewski was nowhere to be found during OTA’s and most of TC. He tried to play a couple of plays in the 1st preseason game and couldn't go on. In fact, he was not able to play again until the 2nd regular season game.This was all due to his rehabbing from a labrum and rotator cuff shoulder surgery he underwent during that offseason. It's sort of funny, but after the surgery, he also revealed that he played the entire 2011 season with a messed up shoulder that he tore up in TC.

badboy

Hall of Fame
I might be able to offer some insight as to why Wisniewski is still homeless.

Wis has been a pretty reliable pass protector.....not so much run blocker. As opposed to run blocking, the shoulder is much more a factor in pass protection, as the arm cannot usually be kept in front of him.........With the arm more outstretched away from his body, it must typically take a lot of torque while trying to holding back and stop the rushing D player from running around (to his side). After a shoulder labrum surgery, the ability to perform the latter will normally have come into question. Following a 2nd shoulder surgery, that question becomes much more concerning...............yes, this is his 2nd shoulder surgery.

In 2012, Wisniewski was nowhere to be found during OTA’s and most of TC. He tried to play a couple of plays in the 1st preseason game and couldn't go on. In fact, he was not able to play again until the 2nd regular season game.This was all due to his rehabbing from a labrum and rotator cuff shoulder surgery he underwent during that offseason. It's sort of funny, but after the surgery, he also revealed that he played the entire 2011 season with a messed up shoulder that he tore up in TC.
so "no way" to this guy?

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
so "no way" to this guy?
That's what I'm hearing.
...especially at $4mil/yr
ObsiWan pretty much has summarized it. Anything's possible after injuries, but the more cumulative the negative factors, the more negative should be the expectations.........and the more negative should be the offers for the opportunity to even peek into the box sporting that beautiful red bow.

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
John McClain of the Houston Chronicle reports that the Texans are interested in bringing Smith back to Houston. Smith played in 79-of-80 regular season games for the Texans while he was a member of the team between 2009 and 2013 and he was productive in a fair number of them as the Texans advanced to the playoffs twice with Smith in the fold.
Link

Would be an excellent addition IMO. Oakland had him at DT last season.

bayoudreamn

Rookie
Right, I also wonder why one would be nostalgic for the old Kubiak regime ?
Badboy and ID? Am I missing something or did you two miss something? You have confused me. Badboy replied to a post saying the poster wouldn't take Smith unless the Ninja came with him *sarcasm. I read that as saying the poster likes the Ninja act.....so I don't think it's a vote against......just humor.

Did you two see that?

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Badboy and ID? Am I missing something or did you two miss something? You have confused me. Badboy replied to a post saying the poster wouldn't take Smith unless the Ninja came with him *sarcasm. I read that as saying the poster likes the Ninja act.....so I don't think it's a vote against......just humor.

Did you two see that?
I saw what I think you did. A poster being clever, and two side tracking it with their own brand of clever

clever= :sarcastic humor:
:kitten:

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
Why would Smith get in a fight with Nix or Clowney?

Jones or X I could see although that **** rarely is prolonged or serious.

The Pencil Neck

Hall of Fame
Everyone needs to remember that Antonio said he was retiring The Ninja character when he left Houston. So, if he comes back, hopefully he'll bring the Ninja back, too.

pbat488

gig 'em
apparently one of the first things hoyer's agent did once hoyer was signed was walk into an audi dealership around town and ask if they would like to provide hoyer a car for the year for free.

secondhand story from another website but thought it was pretty hilarious. and douchey.

ChampionTexan

Hall of Fame
apparently one of the first things hoyer's agent did once hoyer was signed was walk into an audi dealership around town and ask if they would like to provide hoyer a car for the year for free.

secondhand story from another website but thought it was pretty hilarious. and douchey.
So would that Audi dealership have received some sort of promotional work in return, and if so, what's douchey about a manager trying to find income opportunities for his client?

pbat488

gig 'em
So would that Audi dealership have received some sort of promotional work in return, and if so, what's douchey about a manager trying to find income opportunities for his client?
no. what is douchey is the presumption that they would give freaking brian hoyer a car for nothing in return.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
I agree, this is pretty common. I've never heard anything about Hoyer having an attitude, either. Seems like a down to earth guy.