Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans 2015 Free Agency

Who is Adam Schilitz?
I haven't the faintest idea, but Spotrak has him listed on the roster at a salary of $.585 and listed as a TE. Must be someone we signed since the end of last season; or maybe just an error. NFL.com has him listed with the KC Chiefs with 1 year of experience.

I haven't the faintest idea, but Spotrak has him listed on the roster at a salary of $.585 and listed as a TE. Must be someone we signed since the end of last season; or maybe just an error. NFL.com has him listed with the KC Chiefs with 1 year of experience.

He was signed by the Texans in the 2013 preseason as a FA rookie. Then he was cut by the Texans in their last 2013 cut. He was then picked up by the Tacks where he spent the 2013 season on their PS. He was then picked up by the Chiefs in 2014 and shifted back and forth from their PS to regular roster before finally being released December of last year. But on the last day of December, he was signed to a futures contract by the Chiefs for the money amount that has been assigned supposedly to the Texans..............gotta be a mistake.......don't believe he is a Texan.

He was signed by the Texans in the 2013 preseason as a FA rookie. Then he was cut by the Texans in their last 2013 cut. He was then picked up by the Tacks where he spent the 2013 season on their PS. He was then picked up by the Chiefs in 2014 and shifted back and forth from their PS to regular roster before finally being released December of last year. But on the last day of December, he was signed to a futures contract by the Chiefs for the money amount that has been assigned supposedly to the Texans..............gotta be a mistake.......don't believe he is a Texan.

He wasn't one of the many guys they signed to futures contracts after the season ended is he?

I am just hoping that the Texans chasing Wilfork and waiting for his choice don't cause them to lose other positions of need. Reminds me of our chase of a NE CB a few years ago.

Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora
Spoke to Cordarelle Patterson's agent who has been in close contact w/MIN. Rumors of Patterson being shopped are patently false Branion said

Translation = team didn't get offer they wanted.

I'm really glad you speak front office B/S because I sure don't.

NOT sarcasm

A couple of more.

"There is no truth to the rumor..." = It's true.
Silence = It's not true.

"They have our unwavering confidence" = They are on the chopping block and don't want to diminish their value for a possible trade.

A couple of more.

"There is no truth to the rumor..." = It's true.
Silence = It's not true.

"They have our unwavering confidence" = They are on the chopping block and don't want to diminish their value for a possible trade.

hahahahahahaha

I thought the dreaded vote of confidence only applied to head coaches who were on the hot seat
:)

Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora

Translation = team didn't get offer they wanted.
I agree but it is noted Patterson cannot run routes, learn offense and hates cursive as he only speaks English. What exactly screams offer the team a lot?

I agree but it is noted Patterson cannot run routes, learn offense and hates cursive as he only speaks English. What exactly screams offer the team a lot?

Impressive physical tools/speed/plus STs/some RB ability a la Cobb/Harvin. I'm hearing they were shooting for the moon.

Impressive physical tools/speed/plus STs/some RB ability a la Cobb/Harvin. I'm hearing they were shooting for the moon.
I just read on another source that a 4th or 5th pick but I'd say a 6th only because we should have some comps and can give up our own.

Error.

I don't know about all that. I doubt he made it to the NFL without being able to run routes or learn an offense. I can believe that he can't run all the routes, specifically the ones the Vikings want him to run. I can believe he couldn't learn the Vikings offense.

Norv Turner may not be as flexible as he should be with a player like Patterson. There may be a coach out there dreaming of the routes & offense they can install around Patterson.

So we're all good, we upgraded 1 position so far?

I don't see much reason to spend a lot of money and cripple the future cap situation with below average options at QB.
Improving other positions doesn't really improve your chances .... just cements them in that 8-8 , 9-7 range from last year .... stuck in the middle.

Who's your QB 2016 , V3.0 ..... Connor Cook ?!

I sure hope one of Mallett or Hoyer make me eat my words .... or JJ Watt plays both ways as DL and QB leading the Texans to a :trophy:

I don't know about all that. I doubt he made it to the NFL without being able to run routes or learn an offense. I can believe that he can't run all the routes, specifically the ones the Vikings want him to run. I can believe he couldn't learn the Vikings offense.

Norv Turner may not be as flexible as he should be with a player like Patterson. There may be a coach out there dreaming of the routes & offense they can install around Patterson.

Can't play this one off on Turner. Ask Alvin Harper.

That said, I'd take a gamble on Patterson but would do so knowing he's not and never will be a complete WR.

If I could get a deal on him , I'd take it and make sure he gets 6-10 touches a game .

We need to get faster on defense and more explosive on offense and special teams. I trust we are doing due diligence with scrubbing his character and intellectual horsepower while consulting with the designers and executors of the playbook

That said, I'd take a gamble on Patterson but would do so knowing he's not and never will be a complete WR.

Agreed. Like Harvin, Hester, & a few others I can't think of at the moment. Even though they're labeled WR, they're not. Probably should come up with another name for them.

McCluster, Casey... football players for sure, but they don't really fit any one position.

If someone can find the perfect role & offense for them, like Belichick did for Welker, they could be just as valuable as any WR. That's not to say these guys are slot WRs... just that Welker isn't a "WR" the way he was used in the slot was perfect for him. Casey could have really been something as a FB/HB/TE if someone took advantage of his play making ability.

Patterson is a no for me. But I also value versatility and skill set over pure athletic ability. I wouldn't have drafted Patterson for that reason. He just doesn't fit what I look for in a WR. That doesn't mean he can't play. It just means that I would rather have someone else.

Guys like Patterson and Harvin have their uses. But the problem with them is that they cannot get themselves open within the confines of an offense. To put the ball in their hands you have to create plays designed specifically for them that use the other options on the field as decoys. That's all well and good if it works, but if it doesn't it's a completely wasted play.

Within the scheme of a regular play you always have a primary target so that's no different. But you also have at least two other options to check off to if your primary guy isn't open.

Harvin and Patterson cannot be a primary target because they cannot beat coverage on anything other than a Go route. So you have to waste your other targets by making them run decoy routes designed not to get open but to draw coverage off of the primary target. If the primary target still doesn't get open the play is dead, because you have nobody to check off to.

I understand why fans desire athletes like Harvin and Patterson, but people don't realize that every player in the NFL is a great athlete. Athleticism alone isn't enough. That's why I'd rather take a slightly lesser athlete with a greater skill set. People always want to jump up and say that you can just coach them to run better routes or have better hands. But Harvin has been a pro for how long now and still hasn't learned.

Patterson is a no for me. But I also value versatility and skill set over pure athletic ability. I wouldn't have drafted Patterson for that reason. He just doesn't fit what I look for in a WR. That doesn't mean he can't play. It just means that I would rather have someone else.

Guys like Patterson and Harvin have their uses. But the problem with them is that they cannot get themselves open within the confines of an offense. To put the ball in their hands you have to create plays designed specifically for them that use the other options on the field as decoys. That's all well and good if it works, but if it doesn't it's a completely wasted play.

Within the scheme of a regular play you always have a primary target so that's no different. But you also have at least two other options to check off to if your primary guy isn't open.

Harvin and Patterson cannot be a primary target because they cannot beat coverage on anything other than a Go route. So you have to waste your other targets by making them run decoy routes designed not to get open but to draw coverage off of the primary target. If the primary target still doesn't get open the play is dead, because you have nobody to check off to.

I understand why fans desire athletes like Harvin and Patterson, but people don't realize that every player in the NFL is a great athlete. Athleticism alone isn't enough. That's why I'd rather take a slightly lesser athlete with a greater skill set. People always want to jump up and say that you can just coach them to run better routes or have better hands. But Harvin has been a pro for how long now and still hasn't learned.

Having said all that , why isn't Evan Spencer of Ohio State ranked higher ? That guy did everything it seemed .

Exactly. Same thing I said when we drafted Hop over Cordarelle. At the time, we needed someone who could reliably average 13+ ypc

I'm sure everybody will remember this differently than I do, but I look at Welker. You could see the talent at Tech, & you saw flashes at Miami. They might have tried to make him the primary every here & there, it probably worked well for them every so often, but obviously not enough for them to focus a lot of their offense to what made it work.

Belichick was sitting there, on the other side of the field screaming, "Why can't my guys do it like that!!!!" he probably enjoyed playing against the Dolphins because he'd bring up that one or two plays where it worked & he'd tell his offense, "Like this." He'd ask, "See what he did there?" they'd probably nod, even though they most likely didn't get it.

When Welker became available, I don't think Bill made a huge push to get him, he most likely played it cool, but when the deal was done... contract signed.

dr-evil-profile.jpg

World domination was within his grasp.

That's not to say that every coach ought to be like Belichick & find a way to make it work. What I'm saying is the things that Belichick does to get his receivers open are exactly the things that would make Welker a star.

There's someone else out there that approaches offense the way Belichick does... maybe it's O'Brien, maybe it's Shanahan, whoever... it's their job to get their players open, to put them in favorable situations & a guy like Patterson is exactly what they need, but they can't see it, since they haven't seen it. Y'know Belichick didn't "see" Welker in his offense, he saw Miami & their three monkey & a football offense.

And another thing, Welker was extremely successful in New England because he, Brady, & Belichick had some kind of Vulcan mind meld going on. So it's not like you can take Patterson or Harvin & plug them into the slot & expect the same results, but that's a different argument.

hahahahahahaha

I thought the dreaded vote of confidence only applied to head coaches who were on the hot seat
:)

If the player is a Texan then "We have given him permission to seek a trade" means "We will be releasing him shortly".

I think that means the same thing though no matter what team is doing the talking.

Patterson is a no for me. But I also value versatility and skill set over pure athletic ability. I wouldn't have drafted Patterson for that reason. He just doesn't fit what I look for in a WR.
OK, but aren't making guys miss, breaking tackles, and out running defenses also skills? A David Anderson type, for instance, can be great at running routes, and catching the ball. But, if all of that adds up 9 yards a catch and zero TDs, so what? I don't think you can have a receiving corps made up of Pattersons. However, one can come in handy when you can beat a blitz with a WR screen for a 60 yard TD.

Agreed. Like Harvin, Hester, & a few others I can't think of at the moment. Even though they're labeled WR, they're not. Probably should come up with another name for them.

McCluster, Casey... football players for sure, but they don't really fit any one position.

If someone can find the perfect role & offense for them, like Belichick did for Welker, they could be just as valuable as any WR. That's not to say these guys are slot WRs... just that Welker isn't a "WR" the way he was used in the slot was perfect for him. Casey could have really been something as a FB/HB/TE if someone took advantage of his play making ability.

The jags tried to coin the term a couple years ago when they drafted Shoelaces as an offensive weapon ...

99883daa-e488-4131-b849-7e3d2e0e3098_Screen-Shot-2013-06-26-at-7-46-36-AM.png

... may not have been the best player to try and break it in with, but I thought it sounded kind of slick.

OK, but aren't making guys miss, breaking tackles, and out running defenses also skills? A David Anderson type, for instance, can be great at running routes, and catching the ball. But, if all of that adds up 9 yards a catch and zero TDs, so what? I don't think you can have a receiving corps made up of Pattersons. However, one can come in handy when you can beat a blitz with a WR screen for a 60 yard TD.

I'm for bringing in Patterson, I mean what other player currently on the roster has scored 9 TD's in a season (Not named Foster) and isn't scoring TD's kinda important?

I'm for bringing in Patterson, I mean what other player currently on the roster has scored 9 TD's in a season (Not named Foster) and isn't scoring TD's kinda important?

And it's not like he had the greatest QBs in the world to do that with either.

Jayson Braddock ‏@JaysonBraddock · 55s56 seconds ago
Vikings announce the release of WR Greg Jennings

Great post! MSR.

Man just stop signing players now, forfeit all draft picks and seal up NRG for the next 12 months.

According to everyone the AFCS south is decided and the Colts are destined to win it all.

SHUT IT DOWN

Jayson Braddock ‏@JaysonBraddock · 55s56 seconds ago
Vikings announce the release of WR Greg Jennings
I hope the Texans bring him in for a look. He'd be a valuable asset at the right price.

The jags tried to coin the term a couple years ago when they drafted Shoelaces as an offensive weapon ...

99883daa-e488-4131-b849-7e3d2e0e3098_Screen-Shot-2013-06-26-at-7-46-36-AM.png

... may not have been the best player to try and break it in with, but I thought it sounded kind of slick.

Actually had a handful of decent to good games as a pure RB this year. If anything he is ahead of the group as starter heading into 2015 until they draft a 'real" Rb.

When Welker became available, I don't think Bill made a huge push to get him, he most likely played it cool, but when the deal was done... contract signed.
Belichick traded a 2nd and 7th for Welker. That's not chicken feed. But certainly a bargain.

Back