Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans’ State Of the Union...

Mangler

Toro de España
Week 1 ends with a loss to KC.
(34-20) Yawn, what else is new? While we didn’t get blown out, the game was not as close as the score might suggest. Our defense was terrible and our offense looked about as disgusting as ever.

Took a quick look at the Chiefs’ Facebook page and KC fans are pissed. They bashed their defense for, and I quote, “allowing such a trash team score 20 points on them.” They were expecting a blowout, and I’m not even mad at them.

We host the Ravens next week, and I’m already mentally prepared to see Lamar Jackson break all kinds of records against our putrid defense, putting him in the MVP conversation this early on. Get them paper bags ready boys! Sad times, smh.

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.
Only one week down so it's far to early imo to make any state of the union address. What we have by week 4 will be a much better sample size but I look forward to seeing this thread grow.

I don't know what we have yet but I know what I expect. More of the same. Lamar will probably have a field day with us as you forecast.

welsh texan

You may say I’m a dreamer but I’m not the only one
I feel that this team shows us, every year, at some point during the regular season, exactly how bad it is going to perform come playoff time.
This year that has happened in the first game. It will probably be the same in the second game.

Knowing OBrien, these deficiencies will get masked against lesser teams, and we’ll catch one or 2 ‘good’ teams having bad weeks, later in the season. So that come playoff time, there will be this little bit of belief in the back of your mind, maybe they’ll go all the way.

But they won’t go all the way, they’ll get blown out in the playoffs. Because the Texans under OBrien are a flat track bully and against a good team, when it matters, it will get ugly.

The cap situation worries me, the draft capitol worries me. No cap space and no #1 pick to go out and fix even one of these positions next year.

We need a DT, DE, OLB, ILB, CB, RG, WR1 badly. And it isn’t going to happen.

Mangler

Toro de España
Playoffs?

Extreme optimist aren't you?
Well, I can see his point. One trash team will be added to the playoffs. If all the reports of Jax being in full rebuild mode are accurate, they’ll suck just a little more than the Texans, letting us in (undeservedly) with a wildcard spot.

Seegara

Guitar Picker, Dog Lover, Woodworker
While it's tempting to join the boobirds, Texans are a little better than that. Not much better, and not good enough, but maybe able to win the division before a quick playoff exit. DC gets replaced, hopefully right after thumping by Baltimore, but more likely hangs on a few more weeks.

Mangler

Toro de España
While it's tempting to join the boobirds, Texans are a little better than that. Not much better, and not good enough, but maybe able to win the division before a quick playoff exit. DC gets replaced, hopefully right after thumping by Baltimore, but more likely hangs on a few more weeks.
Poor dude was set up for failure. When is Cal going to finally pull the plug on this useless POS wannabe HC?

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
Worst coach , GM and Cap manager in the league.

We're screwed.
This is exactly what makes 2021 so interesting. If the owners insist on dropping the cap number to start covering 2020 financial losses......they could only make that happen by removing the Dead Money hit against the cap......that's going to require an agreement with NFLPA which I highly doubt they would agree with.

Me, owners are going to have to suck up the 2020 losses and write them off their taxes b/c sympathy will come from nowhere.

If the NFLPA were to agree with the canceling of Dead Money......FA could be the strangest off-season ever seen. Again, I don't think this would happen in a million years.

GanadoUHCoog

Waterboy
I feel that this team shows us, every year, at some point during the regular season, exactly how bad it is going to perform come playoff time.
This year that has happened in the first game. It will probably be the same in the second game.

Knowing OBrien, these deficiencies will get masked against lesser teams, and we’ll catch one or 2 ‘good’ teams having bad weeks, later in the season. So that come playoff time, there will be this little bit of belief in the back of your mind, maybe they’ll go all the way.

But they won’t go all the way, they’ll get blown out in the playoffs. Because the Texans under OBrien are a flat track bully and against a good team, when it matters, it will get ugly.

The cap situation worries me, the draft capitol worries me. No cap space and no #1 pick to go out and fix even one of these positions next year.

pretty much exactly what I think. Going to start 3-4 or something like that, run off some wins late, get offense flowing a little better, get a wild card at 9-7, have us believing that maybe it will come together, then playoff loss. Repeat. No draft capital or cap to fix the multiple issues. Also, of our top 10 paid players, who is actually worth the $$$ given them? Only reason we aren’t a 4-6 win team is some off schedule Watson magic against average/below average teams. That’s it.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
. If the owners insist on dropping the cap number to start covering 2020 financial losses......
They've already come to an agreement to spread the losses over the next 4 years.

The 2021 cap is projected to be 165-175m which is a 22-32m decline from this years unadjusted cap of 198m.

This coming offseason is going to get really interesting because all but a couple teams will be over the cap with committed contracts - they'll have to cut guys to make space - players with little to no dead money on mid range contracts have the greatest risk.

This is why I was so against extending Watson or Cunningham prior to the next league year , knowing the cap is contracting.
Prior to Watson & Cunningham's extensions , the had 38 contracts totaling $194,465,143 for 2021. That's 19-29m over the cap for 38 players. They'd be cutting guys like Watt , Cooks and David Johnson and McKinney to get under the cap .... then have to sign guys to minimum type deals to fill out the roster.

Most teams will be in this situation so the talent wont change a whole lot , just who's getting paid.

PHILLYTEXANFAN

Saddle Up Partner
Yes, he is.

No he is not. Easterby is.. but go on.
Tyrann Mathieu specifically said OB wanted him, others didnt. Does that sound like hes GM?

PHILLYTEXANFAN

Saddle Up Partner
People think hes GM bc the league forced the team to “name“ one on the spot.

Also, mock me or doubt if you want, i gain nothing or lose nothing by stating this

76Texan

Hall of Fame
People think hes GM bc the league forced the team to “name“ one on the spot.

Also, mock me or doubt if you want, i gain nothing or lose nothing by stating this
Plenty of GMs "giving an ear" to other(s) around them. Somebody has got to have a final say. And that somebody gets the title.

gafftop

All Pro

This year I think will be different. The Texans will suck (6-10 or worst) all the time. No DHop, only old and young injury prone receivers and RBs. Before they had some type of offense, this year they will suck. Bill will/may get a bye because of all the injuries. May be his plan to stay another year. McNair may buy it. You are right he has screwed us for the future.
So we get to see Watson wasted as all the other Texans in the past. If their weren't so many idiot owners in the NFL this would easily be the worst run team and still may be.

Just my opinion.

gafftop

All Pro
Only one week down so it's far to early imo to make any state of the union address. What we have by week 4 will be a much better sample size but I look forward to seeing this thread grow.

I don't know what we have yet but I know what I expect. More of the same. Lamar will probably have a field day with us as you forecast.
I think it is more like six years down or his whole coaching career down. Just my opinion.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
If you say so. Look ive been on this site for years, never once have i pushed lies or told stories. Im not starting now. I know hes the GM, i knew the Watson extension was happening, Zach was originally thought to walk in FA. JJ is getting an extension next.
It sounds to me like OB needs to rely on somebody else on contract negotiation and perhaps Cal decides that somebody to be JE.
That's not surprising at all.