Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Teddy Bridgewater

Mayock is as good as he's ever been.

How good is that exactly?

Link
Mike Mayock’s Top 5 Draft Prospects by Position (2011)

Quarterback:
*1. Blaine Gabbert, Missouri
2. Jake Locker, Washington
*3. Cam Newton, Auburn
*4. Ryan Mallett, Arkansas
T-5. Andy Dalton, TCU
T-5. Ricky Stanzi, Iowa
T-5. Colin Kaepernick, Nevada
T-5. Pat Devlin, Delaware

Defensive End:
*1. Da’Quan Bowers, Clemson
2. Adrian Clayborn, Iowa
3. Aldon Smith, Missouri
4. Ryan Kerrigan, Purdue
*T-5. J.J. Watt, Wisconsin
*T-5. Robert Quinn, North Carolina

Mayock is as good as he's ever been. In this case it just happens that he's disagreeing with you. So you can say Mayock probably got it right and I am wrong or this time you think Mayock got it wrong. For me it's, in Mayock I trust 98% of the time.

In this case Mayock makes the point that he's never seen a top QB have such a bad pro day. Mayock makes a point that you have to be standing on the sideline and watch the QB throw the ball live to judge his ball speed and velocity. This make sense to me, for example sitting behind home plate watching a pitcher live, a 95 MPH fast ball is whole lot faster than any 95 MPH fastball you see on tv.

I like Mayock and I trust him. But I believe he is overvalueing prodays. He is saying prodays basically don`t count - but he is acting like they are the most important factor. The way he changed his mind either means, he did a very poor job of evaluating Bridgewater before, or that he uses the proday as his primary scouting tool.

The rankings posted by disaacks show that as well. Gabbert had a phenomenal proday, his gametape wasn`t that good.

I am not saying TB is a can`t miss guy. And I agree that his proday is a reason to be concerned. But I am saying this flip floping by Mayock doesn`t make him look good.

I like Mayock and I trust him. But I believe he is overvalueing prodays. He is saying prodays basically don`t count - but he is acting like they are the most important factor. The way he changed his mind either means, he did a very poor job of evaluating Bridgewater before, or that he uses the proday as his primary scouting tool.

The rankings posted by disaacks show that as well. Gabbert had a phenomenal proday, his gametape wasn`t that good.

I am not saying TB is a can`t miss guy. And I agree that his proday is a reason to be concerned. But I am saying this flip floping by Mayock doesn`t make him look good.

Pro Days and the Combine are important, more so than most give them credit. If they weren't then teams wouldn't be spending the Tens of Thousands of dollars they do to attend them. Good news isn't really as important as bad news because good news is what is expected. Bad performance, bad metrics and bad news can have devastating results because they're NOT expected.

If you spend money and time to go watch a top pitching prospect workout and your expecting to see a 90 MPH fastball and all you see is an 80 MPH fastball, that's a BIG disappointment. This is very similar to what happened at Teddy's Pro Day.

Yeah, you see a guy in ideal conditions and can take a look at his technique up close. I get that. Seeing stuff like a hitch in the throwing motion, bad footwork or missing throwing speed are important.

But those things should also be on gametape. Yeah, you are not there and don`t see them upclose, but a good scout would see most of those problems on tape.

Jamarcus Russell had the historical best proday of Mayocks career. A guy that could do all the throws. And maybe the worst #1 pick of all time.

Some guys are better when 300 pound men are running at them, some are worse. TBs best traits always were the mental aspects of his game. His vision, his quick analysis of the defense and his decision making. Those things don`t show up at the pro day (and those are things that cause several "proday-stars" to fail (see Gabbert, Locker, Russell...). His arm strength was always at least a mild concern, so was his deep ball accuracy. Those problems were there and well documented before the proday.

Yeah, it might`ve been shocking that these problems were still there at his proday, since most athletes script their proday so that they look good. But those deficiencies are not news. When you take Teddy you know, that you don`t want him to throw deep, contested balls anytime soon. He needs coaching there. You also might be concerned with him throwing into tight windows. But you can also probably trust Teddy to know his own deficiencies and do the right decisions. With Teddy you get a gamemanager, that rarely does mistakes, with the potential to be more.

Matt Miller ‏@nfldraftscout · 1m
I've actually heard from a few NFL people about Bridgewater having skinny knees. Fear it leaves him unprotected to hits there. @RobKramar

:toropalm::mariopalm::kubepalm::wadepalm::vincepalm:

Sadly it is a real tweet

Yeah, you see a guy in ideal conditions and can take a look at his technique up close. I get that. Seeing stuff like a hitch in the throwing motion, bad footwork or missing throwing speed are important.

But those things should also be on gametape. Yeah, you are not there and don`t see them upclose, but a good scout would see most of those problems on tape.

Jamarcus Russell had the historical best proday of Mayocks career. A guy that could do all the throws. And maybe the worst #1 pick of all time.

Some guys are better when 300 pound men are running at them, some are worse. TBs best traits always were the mental aspects of his game. His vision, his quick analysis of the defense and his decision making. Those things don`t show up at the pro day (and those are things that cause several "proday-stars" to fail (see Gabbert, Locker, Russell...). His arm strength was always at least a mild concern, so was his deep ball accuracy. Those problems were there and well documented before the proday.

Yeah, it might`ve been shocking that these problems were still there at his proday, since most athletes script their proday so that they look good. But those deficiencies are not news. When you take Teddy you know, that you don`t want him to throw deep, contested balls anytime soon. He needs coaching there. You also might be concerned with him throwing into tight windows. But you can also probably trust Teddy to know his own deficiencies and do the right decisions. With Teddy you get a gamemanager, that rarely does mistakes, with the potential to be more.

You keep making the same argument so many others do, Russell and others who were big time disappointments had good pro days. THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT IS EXPECTED FROM ANY POTENTIAL DRAFT PROSPECT. HAVING A GOOD PRO DAY. A VERY BAD PRO DAY IS NOT.

The BIG surprise is the player having a very bad, terrible pro day and NOT having a very good pro day AS EXPECTED.

As I've explained several times before and anyone knows who has stood on a sideline and watched a football game or practice, the game is more intense, hits are harder, players are faster, passes have more zip than what you can see watching TV or on tape. Some assume scouts can see this sitting in the stands and on tape, they can't, and this is exactly why they travel to see the player up close and personal. Trust but Verify!

Standing next to a bull pen watching Billy Wagner throw a 100 MPH fastball has a much bigger WOW factor and is more impressive than anything you can see on TV. On TV you can't tell the difference in Wagner's 85 MPH change up and his 100 MPH fastball. Standing next to the bullpen it's a piece of cake.

Like I said, I get it. Prodays are supposed to be good. When they are, nothing changes, when they are not, that`s a red flag. Yet guys like Carr seem to really profit from their proday, while a guy like Bridgewater really falls deep.

Like I said, those red flags were there before and a good scout should`ve picked up on them. And when a proday is really bad, there should be questions on why that is. In the end it is only a short spotlight. Every QB has bad days. I know you don`t want that in your franchise QB on the most important workout of his life - but young guys have a lot to learn, and that may result into a bad day.

There is plenty of tape on TB. I´d much rather have a scout point out the deficiencies on game tape, than only on his proday. And then try to come to a thorough and in depth analysis.

Like I said, I get it. Prodays are supposed to be good. When they are, nothing changes, when they are not, that`s a red flag. Yet guys like Carr seem to really profit from their proday, while a guy like Bridgewater really falls deep.

Like I said, those red flags were there before and a good scout should`ve picked up on them. And when a proday is really bad, there should be questions on why that is. In the end it is only a short spotlight. Every QB has bad days. I know you don`t want that in your franchise QB on the most important workout of his life - but young guys have a lot to learn, and that may result into a bad day.

There is plenty of tape on TB. I´d much rather have a scout point out the deficiencies on game tape, than only on his proday. And then try to come to a thorough and in depth analysis.

Well I'm not a good scout, yet for the last six months I have questioned TB's arm strength. I'm on record, months ago, saying that his deep ball has a tendency to float and some of his passes over 20 yards were INTs in the NFL. TBs Pro Day verified some of my concerns. It appears it did so for many others also.

The questions about TBs arm strength were being discussed in season. However those who had fallen in love with TB made excuses for the accusations or simply dismissed them because it was something they didn't want to hear. People were pointing out questions about Teddy's arm before his Pro Day, many were not listening.

Yeah, that`s exactly what I meant. Those concerns were there before and out in the open. It´s not a surprise that Teddy has a problem with arm strength and long ball accuracy. It´s on game tape. It´s something Mayock has seen before. Back then those concerns weren`t a gamebreaker. Coaching could improve that. And QBs make a living off of 5-15yds throws in the NFL and Teddy is pretty good to elite at that range. So that`s why he was the top QB on his list, his football IQ, vision, decision making, pocket presence, and short to medium throw accuracy.

Like I said, either his scouting on him was considerably of before, or he is overvaluing prodays.

Yeah, that`s exactly what I meant. Those concerns were there before and out in the open. It´s not a surprise that Teddy has a problem with arm strength and long ball accuracy. It´s on game tape. It´s something Mayock has seen before. Back then those concerns weren`t a gamebreaker. Coaching could improve that. And QBs make a living off of 5-15yds throws in the NFL and Teddy is pretty good to elite at that range. So that`s why he was the top QB on his list, his football IQ, vision, decision making, pocket presence, and short to medium throw accuracy.

Like I said, either his scouting on him was considerably of before, or he is overvaluing prodays.

In Mayock's defense, he really doesn't begin his scouting and evaluations until after the college football season is over. Mayock's NFL & Notre Dame announcing schedule keeps him fairly busy and prevents him doing much scouting and evaluation work. That's why you see a lot of changes in his Top 5 by position each and every year the closer you get to the draft. If it's fair for all NFL teams not to complete their final draft boards a week or two before the draft, after the Combine and Pro Days. Then the same is also fair for Mayock.

It's a fair comparison in projecting what Bridgewater could become. But not even close to how they came out of college. Garcia wasn't remotely the QB that Bridgewater is.

I think Russell Wilson and Drew Brees are very fair comparisons to Bridgewater coming out of college. Very productive, lots of exepience, undersized. Neither Wilson or Brees were 1st round picks. But in retrospect, they should have been. Brees has had the best career of any 2001 draftee, including his future HOF teammate Tomlinson. In a re-draft of 2012, Wilson would hands down be the 3rd pick behind Luck and RGIII. And a case can be made that he's been the most productive and efficient of the 3, thus far.

Nope Wilson and Brees had much stronger arms.

"He's made some nice touch throws on tape. He's mobile. He's not the runner that Manziel is, but he's athletic. He's got good feet to get away from the rush. He's just not a real big guy. (Scouts) that have worked him out are a little concerned because they don't see the velocity, the big arm that wows you." – Former NFL personnel director

Some guys are better when 300 pound men are running at them, some are worse. TBs best traits always were the mental aspects of his game.

Why did Jamarcus fail? Was it because he couldn't make all the throws? Was it because the game tape showed he folded with 300lb men at his feet? Did his game tape show that he was a crappy QB?

I don't watch a lot of college football, but when special players have special games, I generally find a way to catch a few games. I watched Jamarcus play... & he was pretty good. I thought definitely worthy of the #1 overall.

The reason he failed, I think, is because he is one of those guys you shouldn't give millions of dollars to in advance & expect him to show up for work on time.

That's something they should have figured out in interviews, or when they vetted him.
His vision, his quick analysis of the defense and his decision making.

His arm strength was always at least a mild concern, so was his deep ball accuracy. Those problems were there and well documented before the proday.

I agree. Those problems were identified well before his pro-day. But I believe the media underestimated how his good qualities stacked up against the competition in light of his bad qualities.

Contrary to popular belief, Bridgewater is not the only QB who has demonstrated the ability to play well from the pocket in a prosystem, controlling the game from the LOS & reading/manipulating defenses.

When the coaches started their evaluations & the media started reporting what the coaches were seeing, they had to make corrections... & the bad pro-day was a good excuse to do so. I think the media is over doing it with their 2nd round talk, but I believe what OB said from day one. There isn't a lot of separation between a large group of these guys.

Sounds like Aj McCarron to me. Why spend a 1st round pick when you can get the "same guy" with a 4th.

Nope Wilson and Brees had much stronger arms.
See if this sounds familiar.

Analysis
Positives... Touch passer with the ability to read and diagnose defensive coverages...Confident leader who knows how to take command in the huddle...Very tough and mobile moving around in the pocket...Has a quick setup and is very effective throwing on the move... Throws across his body with great consistency...Hits receivers in stride and improvises his throws in order to make a completion...Puts good zip behind the short and mid-range passes...Shows good judgement and keen field vision...Has a take-charge attitude and is very cool under pressure...Hits receivers in motion with impressive velocity...Has superb pocket presence and uses all of his offensive weapons in order to move the chains...Has solid body mechanics and quickness moving away from center...Elusive scrambler with the body control to avoid the rush.

Negatives...Plays in the spread offense, taking the bulk of his snaps from the shotgun...Tends to side-arm his passes going deep...Lacks accuracy and touch on his long throws...Seems more comfortable in the short/intermediate passing attack...Does not possess the ideal height you look for in a pro passer, though his ability to scan the field helps him compensate in this area...Will improvise and run when the passing lanes are clogged, but tends to run through defenders rather than trying to avoid them to prevent unnecessary punishment.

[FONT=VERDANA,HELVETICA,ARIAL]"REMIND ME OF... San Francisco's Jeff Garcia." [/FONT]

Link

I don`t think McCarron falls to the 4th. Maybe not even to the 3d. And I think TB makes quicker decisions and is better at dissecting a defense. Not by much, but at the pros half a second could make all the difference. Oh, and he has a much better pocket presence.

But I´d be alright with McCarron - especially in the 4th. And I wouldn`t take TB with the first pick. But I think there is enough difference between those two to justify taking TB at the mid or end of round one, but also going up to a 3d rounder for McCarron.

In Mayock's defense, he really doesn't begin his scouting and evaluations until after the college football season is over. Mayock's NFL & Notre Dame announcing schedule keeps him fairly busy and prevents him doing much scouting and evaluation work. That's why you see a lot of changes in his Top 5 by position each and every year the closer you get to the draft. If it's fair for all NFL teams not to complete their final draft boards a week or two before the draft, after the Combine and Pro Days. Then the same is also fair for Mayock.

If u ever have the time to listen to sirius nfl, the gm of seahawks said they don't have their board completed till the night before the draft. The earliest I've head was 2 days.

Link

It doesn't matter what somebody writes in a scouting report. Ihave watched Brees since high school at Austin Westlake and his arm has always been stronger than TB's. He's never had to windup to throw the ball 60 yds. Brees has improved on his deep ball accuracy and touch during his yrs in the NFL.

The comparison to Garcia is laughable. Garcia was a running QB who couldn't throwa ball 50 yds and although accurate didn't have near the mustard on his intermediate ball that Brees has. That analysis of Brees was flat out lazy. Kind of like me saying that because they are both African-Americans and they wind up to get distance on their deep passes Leftwich and TB are alike. When in truth they're nothing alike.

That's why you see a lot of changes in his Top 5 by position each and every year the closer you get to the draft. If it's fair for all NFL teams not to complete their final draft boards a week or two before the draft, after the Combine and Pro Days. Then the same is also fair for Mayock.

Fair enough. It's only fair to listen to Mel Kiper as well then. He also has wild swings in his top 5.

I remember a lot more wild swings working unfavorably for teams then the reverse since I've been watching this stuff. A good example of this is Stephen Hill.

Link

lol, that's awesome.

If u ever have the time to listen to sirius nfl, the gm of seahawks said they don't have their board completed till the night before the draft. The earliest I've head was 2 days.

Several months I said that NFL teams complete their draft boards the week leading up to the draft. I was taken to task for making such a comment. Over the years from the stories I have heard, NFL teams use the two weeks before the draft to go over numerous trade scenarios they would accept/propose, do their own mock drafts, draft day dress rehearsals and finalizing their draft board.

Bridgewater has loss-of-value policy; LINK

When Bridgewater bought the loss-of-value policy for less than $20,000, he was projected to be the No. 3 pick in the draft, and a source with knowledge of the policy said he will start to collect money if he falls out of the top 11.

With each drop in draft slot after that, Bridgewater will pick up hundreds of thousands of dollars.

The actual loss of value between being picked No. 3 in this year's draft versus No. 33, the first pick in the second round, is about $15 million. But if Bridgewater can prove that his slip had to do an injury or illness, the policy will result in him getting $5 million back.

Interesting.

Mayock seems to becoming more of a talking parrot than actually evaluating talent

Yeah, Mayock lost me this year when I watched him summarizing Bridgewater's pro day while TB was still throwing in the background. Mike didn't even wait for or watch Teddy's complete script.

Friday Mayock admits that his rankings before now were based on "about 4" game tapes... which we all know means 3. So Mayock watched just 3 game tapes of an arguably at the time top 10 prospect to evaluate him on television/radio/print. He didn't put in the work. How many games did he watch of the next 30 prospects if a top 10 guy got just 3? He's not putting in the work.

So now he says he's "watched more tape" and changed his mind. IMO, just like Kiper, Mayock is tailoring his rankings based on what he's learning from real NFL scouts/teams. Mike is a media personality now. Which is fine... as long as we know the correct lens to view him through.

Yeah, Mayock lost me this year when I watched him summarizing Bridgewater's pro day while TB was still throwing in the background. Mike didn't even wait for or watch Teddy's complete script.

If the kid can't throw a 80 MPH fastball, the kid can't throw an 80 MPH fastball. What else do you need to know?

If Mayock was like all the other talking heads he wouldn't be as honest as he is about some players. He would be more politically correct like the media and talking heads.

If the kid can't throw a 80 MPH fastball, the kid can't throw an 80 MPH fastball. What else do you need to know?

If Mayock was like all the other talking heads he wouldn't be as honest as he is about some players. He would be more politically correct like the media and talking heads.

Your posts on this matter are filled with rants about the same bs argument. His lack of a 90 MPH fastball :toropalm:

Good thing this isn't baseball. He did not have a problem slinging it around vs Florida in the bowl game a few seasons ago. Didn't have a problem using his arm to dominate Miami this year in the bowl game. The kid can rifle it around when he needs to. Stop with the crappy agenda of spreading myths.

You are taking an attribute that is merely average and claiming its garbage. Its called over exaggerating and its starting to be annoying. Not to mention you still haven't even watched his pro day for yourself. Put in the work of watching film and pro days or stop posting about players.

Your posts on this matter are filled with rants about the same bs argument. His lack of a 90 MPH fastball :toropalm:

Good thing this isn't baseball. He did not have a problem slinging it around vs Florida in the bowl game a few seasons ago. Didn't have a problem using his arm to dominate Miami this year in the bowl game. The kid can rifle it around when he needs to. Stop with the crappy agenda of spreading myths.

You are taking an attribute that is merely average and claiming its garbage. Its called over exaggerating and its starting to be annoying. Not to mention you still haven't even watched his pro day for yourself. Put in the work of watching film and pro days or stop posting about players.

Well if you've ever been to a ballgame and sat behind the dugout or home plate and watched a grown man throw a ball you would know exactly what I am talking about. If you haven't then you really don't know what you're talking about.

Well if you've ever been to a ballgame and sat behind the dugout or home plate and watched a grown man throw a ball you would know exactly what I am talking about. If you haven't then you really don't know what you're talking about.

Once again this isn't baseball where you only need to be able to throw it hard, as an NFL qb you need to be able to throw accurate, be smart and read defenses, be able to feel pressure and elude it, and be able to with stand a beating. Teddy does all that in spades. You talk as if he has a lollipop for an arm, which couldn't be any more inaccurate if you tried.

But clearly it doesn't matter how many facts are brought to the table, you are a hater with nothing to back you up except for an over rated TV personality. Congratulations on thinking for yourself :bravo:

Once again this isn't baseball where you only need to be able to throw it hard, as an NFL qb you need to be able to throw accurate, be smart and read defenses, be able to feel pressure and elude it, and be able to with stand a beating. Teddy does all that in spades. You talk as if he has a lollipop for an arm, which couldn't be any more inaccurate if you tried.

But clearly it doesn't matter how many facts are brought to the table, you are a hater with nothing to back you up except for an over rated TV personality. Congratulations on thinking for yourself :bravo:

It appears that NFL talent evaluators are more in agreement with Tex than you.

How TB's career turns out will be very interesting. Somebodies going to be wrong and have to pay with their jobs. To me TB is every bit the wildcard that JM is. Which is why I hope that Smith doesn't pick either one of them.

My mind was made up when our biggest need being QB wasn't addressed in free agency. Last season he finished with four interceptions against 31 touchdowns. A year ago, that kind of season would have only reinforced the widely held belief that Bridgewater was a top-two pick in the 2014 draft. Bridgewater is drifting in credibility while former Pitt quarterback Tom Savage, who transferred twice and never got close to the statistical display shown consistently by Bridgewater, is perhaps the hottest name in the draft. Savage is 6-5 with a big arm, and he reminds scouts of Nick Foles, who switched his commitment from Arizona State to Michigan State and then left East Lansing for Arizona. So transferring is now a good sign?. Teddy took over as starter at age 18 and threw for nearly 10,000 yards over three seasons. His interception count dropped from 12 in his first year to 8 to 4. His intelligence and work ethic have never been questioned, and any concerns about his ability to beat top teams vanished more than a year ago, when Bridgewater dissected a Florida defense considered one of the best in the nation – led by coordinator Dan Quinn, who would leave after that Sugar Bowl for the Seahawks and a Super Bowl title. Savage's only comparable game came in 2013 when he took on title-bound Florida State and threw for 201 yards and two interceptions. One bad day won't erase all that for me we all know players have off days too bad Teddy had it when all his doubters were there and needed something to write about.

My mind was made up when our biggest need being QB wasn't addressed in free agency. Last season he finished with four interceptions against 31 touchdowns. A year ago, that kind of season would have only reinforced the widely held belief that Bridgewater was a top-two pick in the 2014 draft.

Bridgewater is drifting in credibility while former Pitt quarterback Tom Savage, who transferred twice and never got close to the statistical display shown consistently by Bridgewater, is perhaps the hottest name in the draft. Savage is 6-5 with a big arm, and he reminds scouts of Nick Foles, who switched his commitment from Arizona State to Michigan State and then left East Lansing for Arizona. So transferring is now a good sign?.

Teddy took over as starter at age 18 and threw for nearly 10,000 yards over three seasons. His interception count dropped from 12 in his first year to 8 to 4. His intelligence and work ethic have never been questioned, and any concerns about his ability to beat top teams vanished more than a year ago, when Bridgewater dissected a Florida defense considered one of the best in the nation – led by coordinator Dan Quinn, who would leave after that Sugar Bowl for the Seahawks and a Super Bowl title.

Savage's only comparable game came in 2013 when he took on title-bound Florida State and threw for 201 yards and two interceptions. One bad day won't erase all that for me we all know players have off days too bad Teddy had it when all his doubters were there and needed something to write about.

Well said bro. I took the liberty of spacing it out a little for you cause it was a good read, but a little tough of a read in 1 giant paragraph.

Bridgewater has loss-of-value policy; LINK

Interesting.

So Bridgewater tanked his pro day to make money. That's would actually be a pretty smart move. You end up later in the draft so you are going to a better team who most likely already had a starter that you can be groomed by and you still make a ton of money. Very slick TB! :kitten:

My mind was made up when our biggest need being QB wasn't addressed in free agency. Last season he finished with four interceptions against 31 touchdowns. A year ago, that kind of season would have only reinforced the widely held belief that Bridgewater was a top-two pick in the 2014 draft.

First...
We don't really know who is moving up or down on real draft boards. Remember, this is lying season. For all we know, teams have Bridgewater as the top prospect in this class. We won't know until the draft & then, it's only a guess. If Bridgewater is taken in the top 5, it's a good guess that the teams paid no attention to what we're seeing in the media If Tom Savage goes undrafted, then it's a pretty good guess that he did not ride up draft boards the way the media is reporting.​

Second...
I don't agree with some of the conclusions you've come to. If Savage is moving up the draft boards, it is not because he transferred from school to school like Foles did. I would think it was the ability he showed to learn Pittsburgh's offense, start from day 1, then lead the team to a bowl game. That's some pretty impressive sht right there. maybe not as impressive as Bridgewater's "knowledge" of the game... to you.​

Third...
If the draft goes the way the media is suggesting. Bridgewater late in the first, Savage early in the second, then I think it would be more beneficial to understand how that happened, instead of just blowing it off as the NFL got it wrong. Maybe we got it wrong & I'd like to learn & understand how I got it wrong to better prepare me for next year.​

First...
We don't really know who is moving up or down on real draft boards. Remember, this is lying season. For all we know, teams have Bridgewater as the top prospect in this class. We won't know until the draft & then, it's only a guess. If Bridgewater is taken in the top 5, it's a good guess that the teams paid no attention to what we're seeing in the media If Tom Savage goes undrafted, then it's a pretty good guess that he did not ride up draft boards the way the media is reporting.​

Second...
I don't agree with some of the conclusions you've come to. If Savage is moving up the draft boards, it is not because he transferred from school to school like Foles did. I would think it was the ability he showed to learn Pittsburgh's offense, start from day 1, then lead the team to a bowl game. That's some pretty impressive sht right there. maybe not as impressive as Bridgewater's "knowledge" of the game... to you.​

Third...
If the draft goes the way the media is suggesting. Bridgewater late in the first, Savage early in the second, then I think it would be more beneficial to understand how that happened, instead of just blowing it off as the NFL got it wrong. Maybe we got it wrong & I'd like to learn & understand how I got it wrong to better prepare me for next year.​

I didn't think I would be getting into a debate with a post that I started a sentence with "My mind is made up....." about a prospect I have had my eye on a long time ago. I started this thread in September last year and nothing has changed my mind.

That is not to say I haven't heard the knocks on him but they started coming out the flood gates once the season was over not while the season was going on.

I am not surprised you don't agree with MY conclusions since we have never been on the same page about TB. I don't expect those with opposing views on TB to all of sudden change their minds on this kid days away from the draft. As for.......

"I would think it was the ability he showed to learn Pittsburgh's offense, start from day 1, then lead the team to a bowl game. That's some pretty impressive sht right there. maybe not as impressive as Bridgewater's "knowledge" of the game... to you."

Again we can go back and forth for another 10 pages and we will not get anywhere, lets just leave it as YOU are impressed with Savage's ability to learn an offense from day one and as for ME its TB's "knowledge" of the game he took over as a freshman.

Third...
If the draft goes the way the media is suggesting. Bridgewater late in the first, Savage early in the second, then I think it would be more beneficial to understand how that happened, instead of just blowing it off as the NFL got it wrong. Maybe we got it wrong & I'd like to learn & understand how I got it wrong to better prepare me for next year.

I agree with you here, how Bridgewater fell all the way late to the first and Savage is now in the early second where McCarron was considered the top prospect of that round is beyond me and if that does play out, I will be scratching my head and asking a lot of questions.

NFL on ESPN ‏@ESPNNFL
Teddy Bridgewater is on the cover of the latest @ESPNMag issue. Here's him posing with a bear. Sort of.

BmacIgXCQAAgCIW.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BmacIgXCQAAgCIW.jpg

Bridgewater Sports Illustrated's #1 draft prospect

SI TOP 64

No. 1: Louisville QB Teddy Bridgewater

Bio: There are times in life when one simply has to turn off all the noise and focus on what you can control. And in the 2014 pre-draft process, no player has had to learn and re-learn this more than Louisville quarterback Teddy Bridgewater. When he finished his 2013 season with 303 completions in 473 attempts (a 71 completion percentage) for 3,970 yards, 31 touchdowns and just four interceptions, he was thought to be a universal top-five prospect. Since then, and especially after Bridgewater’s sub-par pro day, his stock has been dropping precipitously in the cottage industries of mock draft and overall draft speculation, to the point where some well-respected draftniks have said that they wouldn’t even take him in the first round.

Conclusion: The more I go back and rewatch Bridgewater tape, the less willing I am to drop into the seemingly common perception that he hads some abnormally low ceiling, and that he’ll top off pretty quickly in the NFL. Most of his deep ball issues can be fixed by the kinds of coaching and strength training that all kinds of quarterbacks (Drew Brees and Tom Brady come immediately to mind) have benefited from in obvious ways. And yes, he played at about 190 pounds through the final bit of his 2013 season, but showing up weighing 214 pounds at the combine was a definite statement. And yes, he really blew it at his pro day … but let’s be real here: Any NFL executive who will throw multiple scouted games out the window based on a shirt-and-shorts session, whether positive or negative, is probably on his way out the door.

Is Bridgewater the perfect collegiate quarterback? No. There are clearly things he needs to work on, which is true of just about every quarterback prospect. But when it comes to combining innate skills and developmental potential in an NFL view, it’s hard for me to put anyone above Bridgewater. He already has a lot on the ball, and with time and patience, he could be the kind of quarterback that defines a franchise.

I am still convinced that TB has the lowest bust potential. I think at worst he becomes a game manager like Alex Smith or Chad Pennington. A guy that won`t surprise you much in games or win a game by himself, but a guy that can help you when you have all the other pieces in place. But I am pretty sure he will be in the league for some time.

I am also convinced that at least Manziel and possibly Bortles have a higher ceiling. The only thing Bridgewater is elite in are the mental aspects. Those two guys have physical traits that Bridgewater just can`t match and never will be able to match.

Thirdly I am deeply convinced, that Carr has the biggest bust factor, and that is not because of his last name. He struggled mightily when getting pressured and most of his passes were in the 0-5 yard range. He had a great proday - all of that sounds a lot like Gabbert. I think those weaknesses will be very hard to correct at the pro level.

At 1.1. I´d be alright with Manziel - big boom and big bust potential, but I´d get that pick. If we trade back a couple of spaces I´d be ok with Bortles. I don`t see him becoming a star, but he has all the tools. I´d be thrilled if we could trade up to the end of the first or pick Bridgewater at the beginning of the second round. I´d also be alright with Garapolo here. Later than that I´d be ok with a number of guys like Savage, McCarron, Mettenberger...

So Bridgewater tanked his pro day to make money. That's would actually be a pretty smart move. You end up later in the draft so you are going to a better team who most likely already had a starter that you can be groomed by and you still make a ton of money. Very slick TB! :kitten:

For some reason, the dude doesn't look that smart to me ...

th

"First and foremost, you want to say the tape is most important," Mayock said on "Path to the Draft." "We talk about that all the time, but at the quarterback position, you have to see the guy throw live. We all know that that pro day was below average for a top-level quarterback. I talked to a lot of teams, and I'm hearing a heck of a lot more second-round grades than first-round grades.

"What I'm hearing is two things. Number one, when we saw him throw live we didn't see arm strength and didn't see accuracy. Number two, when you draft a quarterback in the first round you expect him to be the face of your franchise, you expect him to embrace the moment. I think people had some concerns about whether or not this young man is ready to step up and be the face of a franchise."

"I want to bang the table for the kid's tape," Mayock said. "However, you have to see him throw live."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...franchise-in-question?campaign=Twitter_nfl_cb

Last edited:
@NU_Gap: Last year I calc'd my QB aggregate score and 2012 Teddy B. was the highest ranked QB, same thing this year - no questions for me on Teddy

@nfldraftscout: Y'all know I love Johnny Manziel...but why are NFL people questioning Bridgewater as the face of a team and not Johnny?

@nfldraftscout: Last thing I'm gonna say about Bridgewater tonight. Do you want Russell Wilson? Draft Bridgewater.

@NU_Gap: Last year I calc'd my QB aggregate score and 2012 Teddy B. was the highest ranked QB, same thing this year - no questions for me on Teddy

@nfldraftscout: Y'all know I love Johnny Manziel...but why are NFL people questioning Bridgewater as the face of a team and not Johnny?

@nfldraftscout: Last thing I'm gonna say about Bridgewater tonight. Do you want Russell Wilson? Draft Bridgewater.

@nfldraftscout: The Bridgewater slander pisses me off because guys aren't saying, "Hate his film, no thanks." They're creating issues where there are none

@nfldraftscout : "He's too skinny"—Gains 14 lbs "Small hands"—Same as Garoppolo "Didn't play anyone"—Same schedule at Bortles "Well, then, bad character"

moot point though, since most of us didn't see him throw live at his pro-day. :specnatz:

I lost a Franklin on Texans season finale betting they would win, just to ensure they didn't & secure the #1 overall pick, how _ucked up is that? Wanted Bridgewater, hands down because Schaub had to go (he did) & Teddy strengths where Matts weakness, but that was in heat of the moment. Now its about adding the most talented football player, not just with first pick but every pick. Still like Teddy, maybe more as a person, regardless they're better more dynamic football players coming out. Texans must be smart, either trade down & select him or take bpa.

#1 Robinson - franchise OT, next Orlando Pace
#2 Watkins - #1 WR, super-sized Steve Smith
#3 Clowney - inconsistent but superlative athletic pass rusher, Taylor-esque
#4 Matthews - Bloodlines
#5 Mack - all world LB
#6 Donald - versatile playmaking DL
#7 Barr -still raw but has everything you want in OLB position
#8 Manziel - top QB can handle pressure/media
#9 Lewan - copycat of last year #1 overall pick Fisher
#10 Evans - match-up nightmare, red zone target freak of nature
#11 Bridgewater - would be best served to sit, watch & learn while improving his core/arm strength.

"Number two, when you draft a quarterback in the first round you expect him to be the face of your franchise, you expect him to embrace the moment. I think people had some concerns about whether or not this young man is ready to step up and be the face of a franchise."
That's the elephant in the room. I think that's the same knock that Geno Smith had last year. I'll say this: It's easier to be the face of the franchise and the team leader if you produce on the field. And I think Bridgewater has a better chance of producing than any of the other QBs. Being a rah-rah guy is pretty meaningless if you can't put points on the scoreboard.

Back