Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Teddy Bridgewater

I agree with this.
But the other side of the "new NFL" coin is what will allow Bridgewater to become successful.
Because the immediate success that the most recent young QBs have experienced is largely a product of rules-changes how we evaluate "franchise QB" has to change. As recently as 10 years ago we wouldn't even be talking about Bridgewater as a 1-1; but it's 2014 and the game is decidedly different.

Not exactly. The new rules allows young QBs to throw the ball up for grabs more often, because of the rules protecting the WR.

But Geno Smith & Ej Manuel missed games because they got hit & injured. Luck, Wilson, Kaepernick, Tannehill... they're still getting their bell rung. Referees aren't treating them like Brady/Manning.

& yes, big guys (Ben, Leftwhich, Rivers, Schaub) get hurt too. While smaller guys like Ryan, Eli, Carr have proven to be extremely resilient. But none of them are as thin as Bridgewater appears to be.

I don't like the idea of taking any of these guys at 1-1, but I'll roll with the Texans if they do & I'll be the guy passing out the kool-aid week 1. Unless Bridgewater comes in under 210 lbs. In that case, I'll bite my lip until he gets taken out of a game & we lose him for 2 or 3 games his first year (or his first year as a starter). Then I'll be that "I told you so" guy.

So frail the wind could break him? How about Jon Bostic laying the wood. That didnt break his frail azz.

310427.jpg

It sucks when a guy like that hits you, no matter how big you are. But on any given Sunday, there are at least two other guys bigger than he is, & the three of them will probably rock your boat 7 times or more.

Most men will quit before the 5th hit. We're going to find out what TB is made of real quick.

I don't understand this infatuation with weight. I really don't. Can someone please give me a reason to care? While having more weight(muscle) does help prevent injuries, its not like he has missed a bunch of time due to injury thus far in his career.

I mean come on people. People use to say our 230+ lbs QB was injury prone. Did he need more weight as well?

So if he weights in at the combine at say 195 lbs that doesn't throw up a red flag for you?

So if he weights in at the combine at say 195 lbs that doesn't throw up a red flag for you?

Not really. You can't predict injuries, and since Bridgewater has not missed a lot of time, I am not concerned.

You did not answer my question though- why is it such a big deal?

Not really. You can't predict injuries, and since Bridgewater has not missed a lot of time, I am not concerned.

No you can't predict injuries but a frail body is way more likely to get banged up in the NFL than it is in the ACC. You can say weight don't matter but there has to be a limit to how thin you want your QB.

Would you want a Fulltime RB that weighed 175 or LT that weighed 285?

Because there's not enough real issues for them to complain about.

That would be you in he Manziel thread. No one was really complaining about his weight here. Just saying it MAY be a cause for concern. Unlike you I'm fine with any of the top three QB's at #1. As of now I have Bridgewater a slight favorite over Manziel.

And for the record I have stated I'm concerned about Manziels size also.

No you can't predict injuries but a frail body is way more likely to get banged up in the NFL than it is in the ACC. You can say weight don't matter but there has to be a limit to how thin you want your QB.

Would you want a Fulltime RB that weighed 175 or LT that weighed 285?

You are just being silly now. For the trench positions, of course weight matters. You need a lot of strength, plus having weight helps you hold your ground. As for the RB, sure, I think RB's should be bigger. But again, thats because of the physical demands that a RB takes.

For a QB, I value intelligence, awareness, calmness, accuracy, precision, arm strength, mobility and height above weight.

There's a big difference between 6'4" 211 & 6'3" 195

Like I said before. If he weighs in over 210 at the combine, I'll be surprised. If he weighs in at 215, I'm on board the Bridgewater train. If he weighs in at 220, I'm leading the parade down Kirby.

I would say that Boyd will be the most durable prospect at 6ft 225 lbs .

per Chris Trapasso, FIW
NFL Comparison: Aaron Rodgers

Fair enough. But Aaron Rodgers was not considered the top QB prospect in his draft. He wasn't "deemed" worthy of the 1-1, or even a top 10 pick.

I also cannot say that I even noticed him during the draft. But here's one source that has him listed as 6'2" 223

& pointing to Rodgers & saying "Bridgewater is basically Rodgers" is just as lame as those "Case is basically Drew Brees" arguments.

The problem here is your thinking too much into facts and reality. What you need to do here is it give it the ole full proof eye test and a swift generalization.

Wrong. The power for a throw comes from the hips.

& the concern about his size has nothing to do with his arm strength (to me) it's about his durability. We spent the last 6 seasons with our fingers crossed, hoping Matt would play 16 games... well, some of us, & one way or the other.

But I'm against drafting Bridgewater or Manziel 1-1 same as I was worried about drafting Reggie Bush with the #1 overall. He's proven that he can't play 16 games a season & his size is a big part of that. He's a RB & he gets hit differently than a QB. He's small for a RB.... 6'0" 203.... that's big compared to 6'3" 196

You are just being silly now. For the trench positions, of course weight matters. You need a lot of strength, plus having weight helps you hold your ground. As for the RB, sure, I think RB's should be bigger. But again, thats because of the physical demands that a RB takes.

For a QB, I value intelligence, awareness, calmness, accuracy, precision, arm strength, mobility and height above weight.

Show me an NFL starting QB under 200 lbs.

Fair enough. But Aaron Rodgers was not considered the top QB prospect in his draft. He wasn't "deemed" worthy of the 1-1, or even a top 10 pick.

Oh, no, no, no.

At the time, the 1-1 pick was going to be either Alex Smith or Aaron Rodgers. No one else was in serious consideration for that 1-1 pick and no one knew which way the Niners were going to go.

And they probably went the wrong way.

BUT.

Aaron Rodgers was totally worthy of being the 1-1 pick in that draft. If he had been picked, people wouldn't have been shouting that the Niners had reached for him or anything. Most people would have thought that was at least as good as picking Smith. The fact that he dropped to near the end of the first round doesn't mean he wasn't "worthy" of being 1-1.

Oh, no, no, no.

At the time, the 1-1 pick was going to be either Alex Smith or Aaron Rodgers. No one else was in serious consideration for that 1-1 pick and no one knew which way the Niners were going to go.

And they probably went the wrong way.

BUT.

Aaron Rodgers was totally worthy of being the 1-1 pick in that draft. If he had been picked, people wouldn't have been shouting that the Niners had reached for him or anything. Most people would have thought that was at least as good as picking Smith. The fact that he dropped to near the end of the first round doesn't mean he wasn't "worthy" of being 1-1.

I remember everybody thinking Rogers was going to be the pick .

Most of the smaller QBs are in the 205-210 pound range.

If Bridgewater comes in at 205-210, will people be OK with that?

It's not really the actual weight that worries me as much as it is, does he have a frail frame? Not saying he does. I don't know. The same goes for Manziel. None of will know until they are weighed and measured.

Lol are we really having a debate about his weight here?. Man it's going to be a long offseason.

Why would it be a red flag if he didn't miss any games? If he didn't have presence and recognition and was hurt a lot, I would. Same goes for any position. Big ben has missed a lot of games because he holds onto the ball. Matt schaub is 6'5 240lbs, he was hurt often in his texans career. As a qb in the nfl, you have to learn to take hits no matter how big you are. Just like with passing lanes. Chris simms led the nfl in batted down passes when he played and he's 6'5 yet brees,wilson and other smaller qbs it hasn't been a problem.

Most of the smaller QBs are in the 205-210 pound range.

It really shouldn't be hard for him to gain ten pounds. I don't think his size is really an issue. He is kind of small and even Manziel weighs more than him, but he should be alright.

the difference of 10 pounds or so isn't going to make a different if he gets laid out.
His shown he can take a hit and that his elusive enough in the pocket. for me whether his 205, 210, 220 doesn't make a difference. he handles blitz's well in pre snap and post snap reads and that is much more important. that will be the telling skill to determine his longevity in regards to injury in the league.

No.

They say he lost weight in the off season because he had his jaw wired. From the time he unwired his jaw to the time of the combine if he can't get to 210, I'll be very upset if we pick him with the #1 overall.

& no, I would not be happy if he showed up @ 245 with a pot belly.

Because they love some Jamarcus Russell. Lots of Jamarcus Russell. Over 300 pounds of JR...

No.

They say he lost weight in the off season because he had his jaw wired. From the time he unwired his jaw to the time of the combine if he can't get to 210, I'll be very upset if we pick him with the #1 overall.

& no, I would not be happy if he showed up @ 245 with a pot belly.

If he was really at 220 at the end of his Freshman year, I don't think there's going to be a problem.

I await the HOF inductions of Jamarcus Russell and Jared Lorenzen then.

That has nothing to do with being an NFL QB.

Sure it does. It doesn't have EVERYTHING to do with being an NFL QB, so you can just keep waiting for Russel and Lorenzen. Simply put, Mr. Physics says that if ANY football player (even QBs) take a hit, one of the equations in play is F=MA. Well, acceleration sure isn't slowing down, so you might want to have a little mass on your frame. Getting out of the way and not taking those hits is even more important, obviously. But guys with a little more meat on their bones take hits a little better over the long term.

It's really common sense. Not saying that should preclude TB from anything, but I was just answering your inquiry as to why anyone gives a damn about his weight.

You guys are sounding a bit silly. Yes, his weight is an issue when speculating his durability. At the same time most need to understand he is young and can easily gain that weight with proper training with, at this point, he should be able to obtain now. You guys are acting like it would take a kid in his early twenties some leaping over buildings to gain 10-20 pounds in training. That is not difficult to do.

Not to mention if he didn't weigh 210 in the combine you still are talking months until the season and then under the personal strength/condition training of an NFL coaching staff. So relax already. If he had poor work ethic I could understand but all we hear is the complete opposite. Hell, I've gained those pounds without the personal training he gets and my brother does who is shaping up for his own proday now.

Sure it does. It doesn't have EVERYTHING to do with being an NFL QB, so you can just keep waiting for Russel and Lorenzen. Simply put, Mr. Physics says that if ANY football player (even QBs) take a hit, one of the equations in play is F=MA. Well, acceleration sure isn't slowing down, so you might want to have a little mass on your frame. Getting out of the way and not taking those hits is even more important, obviously. But guys with a little more meat on their bones take hits a little better over the long term.

It's really common sense. Not saying that should preclude TB from anything, but I was just answering your inquiry as to why anyone gives a damn about his weight.

Really? OMG, I had no idea that Mr. Physics applied to QBs too! Does it apply to Santa Claus as well?

I have already stated that I get that muscle helps to stave off injury. However, I have also stated that he has not missed much time to injury in his career and is young (which means he has a lot of time to add muscle mass, since we are speaking like simpletons).

To the bold- this is getting to my point. If people's biggest concern is his weight, then they should be running to the podium.

I was hoping we were going to avoid this conversation as it has nothing to do with the topic at hand, but I see it's going to happen.

The size of a man's arms have nothing to do with his frame. I've seen huge guys with average arms and thin guys with huge arms. The muscle at the joint is the deltoid. The lateral deltoid is superior to the acromion process (which joins with the clavicle to form the AC joint, or shoulder joint). A rounded deltoid can make someone's frame appear larger than it really is.

A larger man will tend to have bigger arms but his arm size is not an indicator of the size of his frame.

This is why I mentioned looking at the joints and not the muscles. Should I have been specific and said the wrists and elbow. Why there? Because it does not have the muscle to interfere with an approximation of bone size or FRAME. After I specifically excluded muscle, you took us on a tour of the MUSCLES.

There's a big difference between 6'4" 211 & 6'3" 195

Like I said before. If he weighs in over 210 at the combine, I'll be surprised. If he weighs in at 215, I'm on board the Bridgewater train. If he weighs in at 220, I'm leading the parade down Kirby.

I would bet that Teddy is well aware of the knocks and criticisms about his weight and is now on a 10,000 calories a day diet between now and his Pro Day. If he does weigh 220 there is no GTD he can keep his weight on and two know one knows how he plays with and extra 25 lbs. I go back to my first concern, his MPH. IMHO if he can throw 55 MPH or > that is more of reason for a Kirby Parade, if the MPH is 50 or < BUYER BEWARE.

I understand all this but generally speaking guys with really skinny arms have really thin frames.

TB & I have the same body frame....He looks skinnier than normal b/c he's tall & his weight is distributed evenly. & like someone else pointed out, he's also not wearing a flak jacket. He's also only 21..as he gets older he'll put on more weight.

It's a pure guess on my part, but i bet his playing weight is right around what they say his weight is..205 lbs. I also suspect he'll be 8-10 lbs heavier come combine time b/c he's not doing much.

There's no way In hell Teddy weighs 220.

He didn't say Teddy weighs 220 presently. He said he came as a freshmen at 179 and then bulked up to 218. In other words, he's done it before. And like others stated he loss weight this season due to the jaw surgery. Link on what the other poster was speaking of below. He gained 39 pounds. So yeah...I'm guessing he knows what to do to gain weight especially at this point.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigeast/post/_/id/35057/bridgewater-talks-expectations-bulking-up

I would bet that Teddy is well aware of the knocks and criticisms about his weight and is now on a 10,000 calories a day diet between now and his Pro Day. If he does weigh 220 there is no GTD he can keep his weight on and two know one knows how he plays with and extra 25 lbs. I go back to my first concern, his MPH. IMHO if he can throw 55 MPH or > that is more of reason for a Kirby Parade, if the MPH is 50 or < BUYER BEWARE.

Seems like the odds of him doing the velocity throw are pretty low. Most of the top prospects skip it.

I was hoping we were going to avoid this conversation as it has nothing to do with the topic at hand, but I see it's going to happen.

The size of a man's arms have nothing to do with his frame. I've seen huge guys with average arms and thin guys with huge arms. The muscle at the joint is the deltoid. The lateral deltoid is superior to the acromion process (which joins with the clavicle to form the AC joint, or shoulder joint). A rounded deltoid can make someone's frame appear larger than it really is.

A larger man will tend to have bigger arms but his arm size is not an indicator of the size of his frame.
Jeez how did our simple conversation about skinny arms spiral out of control like this?

This board is getting crazy.

Throwing motion is different when when running vs being stationary in the pocket.

It's one of the biggest blunders NFL coaches make imo. bringing a guy in and trying to change his throwing motion. Short of them having accuracy problems, you leave it alone..especially if they have the height to overcome it.

Throwing motion is alot like a jumpshot in basketball. The overall motion needs to look and be as effective as the prototype, but mostily it is an entirely personal motion. You've got to find what works best for you and your body & go with it.

Elway's throwing motion wasn't prototype..Neither was Marino's....Kosar. & Of course we know of a couple of guys today who've got funky throwing motions. The coaches were smart & left it alone. It's all in how comfortable you are & how effective you can be throwing it that way...

It's one of the biggest blunders NFL coaches make imo. bringing a guy in and trying to change his throwing motion. Short of them having accuracy problems, you leave it alone..especially if they have the height to overcome it.

Throwing motion is alot like a jumpshot in basketball. The overall motion needs to look and be as effective as the prototype, but mostily it is an entirely personal motion. You've got to find what works best for you and your body & go with it.

Elway's throwing motion wasn't prototype..Neither was Marino's....Kosar. & Of course we know of a couple of guys today who've got funky throwing motions. The coaches were smart & left it alone. It's all in how comfortable you are & how effective you can be throwing it that way...

If a person has good hand eye coordination then the brain is very adept at telling the arm and hand how to deliver the ball to the target. Coaching can improve the delivery and accuracy from a standpoint of good footwork, like pointing your big toe and making direct eye contact exactly where you want to target your throw. The very good QBs are the ones that can process all of the needed information in less than 3 secs.

Seems like the odds of him doing the velocity throw are pretty low. Most of the top prospects skip it.

this is interesting & accurate so how refreshing, even if unrealistic, that Teddy Bridgewater goes to the combine & at least does all the measureables along with interview process even if he doesn't throw :clap:

It sucks when a guy like that hits you, no matter how big you are. But on any given Sunday, there are at least two other guys bigger than he is, & the three of them will probably rock your boat 7 times or more.

Most men will quit before the 5th hit. We're going to find out what TB is made of real quick.

He stayed in this game and beat the pants off that team. An idea of what he's made of.

& pointing to Rodgers & saying "Bridgewater is basically Rodgers" is just as lame as those "Case is basically Drew Brees" arguments.

So you're saying every single QB comparison argument is lame? That's basically what most scouts (and us on this board) have been doing for many years. They have similar playing styles and I think it's very fair. Everyone gets compared to someone these days, past, present, or for some...future.

We should start placing some bets on Teddy's weigh in at the combine.

212.5 lbs
O(-115)
U(-100)

Over

I started quoting and replying to all these posts about frame and weight with my limited knowledge, Google research to validate my points, and "gut instincts" but as I went to hit submit I realized something...

This is pretty ridiculous. Don't get sucked into this talk about Deltoid joints and trying to convince people of your view because this is one of those arguments where no one will ever be swayed.

The people that believe you need to be 300 pounds to avoid injury will never see any different and if you're not you're obviously "injury prone".

So to all of you fighters of this good fight, well played trying to suck me in, but denied.

I would bet that Teddy is well aware of the knocks and criticisms about his weight and is now on a 10,000 calories a day diet between now and his Pro Day.

True. Which is why it will turn from a minor red flag to a major red flag if he weighs in under 210.

Arm size can give you a clue to Frame size. Look near the joints, not at the muscles.

This is why I mentioned looking at the joints and not the muscles. Should I have been specific and said the wrists and elbow. Why there? Because it does not have the muscle to interfere with an approximation of bone size or FRAME. After I specifically excluded muscle, you took us on a tour of the MUSCLES.

My point being that you can not get a precise measurement at every joint. You did not specify a joint in your first post and I was pointing out to you that some joints do have muscles that run over them, like the AC joint.

And every human skeleton is different. Some people have thicker bones, but not necessarily thicker joints. And there are more than just muscles in play here. There are tendons, ligaments, and cartilage. Not every person has an identical articulation. So to take an elbow measurement of two different people does not give an indication of who has a bigger frame. It tells you who has a thicker joint at the elbow.

The industry standard used to be a wrist measurement, but even this is not considered consensus. All these methods are considered to be educated guesses at best. There is variance between just about every person.

All Qbs get hit. I am more interested in recovery time that body mass. Weight can absorb but quick feet and dodging helps too.

Being small is not an indication of being frail. There are many instances of huge guys being frequently injured and small guys being ironmen. You just have to look at each individual instead of immediately herding them into a certain category based purely on measurements.

More interesting info

Bdo1zFpCYAEYZ6B.png:large

Brigewater's overthrow numbers could likely he decrease with some tweaks to his delivery, as others have mentoned.

And further evidence to stay far far away from Carr.

More interesting info

Bdo1zFpCYAEYZ6B.png:large

Brigewater's overthrow numbers could likely he decrease with some tweaks to his delivery, as others have mentoned.

And further evidence to stay far far away from Carr.

And evidence to stay away from Manziel.

Accuracy is one of BOB's hot points, so we could be looking at Bridgewater OR we could be finding a way to finagle Mettenberger later in the draft.

Back