Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Teddy Bridgewater

I've seen quite a bit that has him listed as top 5 OVERALL talent. To "reach" for the most important position in football a few spots just isn't that much of a reach to me.

If you wait for BPA to draft quarterback you will NEVER draft a QB. Every QB is always reached for that has any value and isn't just a complete gamble.

I think of it like fantasy football and drafting RBs. If you don't reach on a RB after the 3rd round you are not going to get one on your team until everyone else has like 6 and you end up rolling out there with a loser.

I've seen quite a bit that has him listed as top 5 OVERALL talent. To "reach" for the most important position in football a few spots just isn't that much of a reach to me.

If you wait for BPA to draft quarterback you will NEVER draft a QB. Every QB is always reached for that has any value and isn't just a complete gamble.

I think of it like fantasy football and drafting RBs. If you don't reach on a RB after the 3rd round you are not going to get one on your team until everyone else has like 6 and you end up rolling out there with a loser.

msr.. If you think Bridgewater is a franchise QB then it doesn't matters if he's the #1 positional player or the 6th: You take him. It's the most important position on the field.

msr.. If you think Bridgewater is a franchise QB then it doesn't matters if he's the #1 positional player or the 6th: You take him. It's the most important position on the field.

I think most everyone agrees with this. I think eriadoc's point is that you don't make that move unless you feel really good about that QB. You don't do it just because he's a QB and you need one.

I think most everyone agrees with this. I think eriadoc's point is that you don't make that move unless you feel really good about that QB. You don't do it just because he's a QB and you need one.

I think some guys make playing QB look easy and folks underestimate their talent .

What have you seen to say he's not just the best qb,but the best talent? I'll wait.

My biggest issue is for the last two years, the people here who watch college football have been telling us there isn't a QB in this draft worth the #1 overall pick. Now that we have the #1 overall, all of a sudden there's this one guy & only one guy. The other QBs aren't worth a top 5 pick. Maybe not even top 10.

Just sounds fishy to me.

So I've done what little research I do... watched several Bridgewater highlights, watched several Bridgewater vs So&So clips on youtube where all they show you are his dropbacks against certain teams. I watched the Russell athletic bowl.

& I don't see a #1 overall QB. For me it starts with size. If he's not 6'5" 220-230, I start looking for the ways he compensates for that. His motion is not fluid, neither his drop backs, nor his throwing motion. His footwork is alright... not exceptional & from what I'm seeing, he's got two, maybe three reads (I'm counting reads before he starts ad libing).

Then off-schedule, he's good. Pretty good. Not great. He keeps his eyes downfield, his arm is strong enough to allow him to make all kinds of throws... but, for me, not enough to compensate for his size.

& normally I'm not too rigid on size, but this guy isn't even 200lbs. He might be 210 or 215 at the combine, but I'm talking about now. But he's still going to have to work on his footwork (dropbacks), he's still going to have to work on his mechanics (he holds the ball around his chest then jerks it to his ear, then draws back to get ready to throw, almost like a double clutch), he's still going to have to work on his reads (needs to be in sync with his feet).

He might have a headstart on someone like Manziel as far as playing in a pro offense (not Johnny's fault they don't play a pro offense at A&M), but Manziel's offschedule ability & fluid throwing motion narrows the gap quite a bit.

Boyd is more akin to McNair. He's not as tall,but their build,arm talent,and footwork. Its kinda like watching mcnair when I see boyd.

Agreed

I saw McNair when he was young and Pastorini and McNair had the best arms of any QB's I've seen.

My biggest issue is for the last two years, the people here who watch college football have been telling us there isn't a QB in this draft worth the #1 overall pick. Now that we have the #1 overall, all of a sudden there's this one guy & only one guy. The other QBs aren't worth a top 5 pick. Maybe not even top 10.

Just sounds fishy to me.

So I've done what little research I do... watched several Bridgewater highlights, watched several Bridgewater vs So&So clips on youtube where all they show you are his dropbacks against certain teams. I watched the Russell athletic bowl.

& I don't see a #1 overall QB. For me it starts with size. If he's not 6'5" 220-230, I start looking for the ways he compensates for that. His motion is not fluid, neither his drop backs, nor his throwing motion. His footwork is alright... not exceptional & from what I'm seeing, he's got two, maybe three reads (I'm counting reads before he starts ad libing).

Then off-schedule, he's good. Pretty good. Not great. He keeps his eyes downfield, his arm is strong enough to allow him to make all kinds of throws... but, for me, not enough to compensate for his size.

& normally I'm not too rigid on size, but this guy isn't even 200lbs. He might be 210 or 215 at the combine, but I'm talking about now. But he's still going to have to work on his footwork (dropbacks), he's still going to have to work on his mechanics (he holds the ball around his chest then jerks it to his ear, then draws back to get ready to throw, almost like a double clutch), he's still going to have to work on his reads (needs to be in sync with his feet).

He might have a headstart on someone like Manziel as far as playing in a pro offense (not Johnny's fault they don't play a pro offense at A&M), but Manziel's offschedule ability & fluid throwing motion narrows the gap quite a bit.

T-skyss i love u dawg.....but this whole post is...:toropalm:

lol, thanks for telling me what to do and how to do it.

If I feel like talking about a RT in depth I will do it in a thread that exists that no one cares about. I said I don't want Mathews, that's all I owe this thread.

Real quick though... Derek Newton is arguably the worst RT in the NFL, we have 2 guys currently on the IR that will likely be taking his spot already. Derek Newton was also a 7th round pick. If you draft any RT that has a 4th round grade in the 5th round (happens every draft) I'd be willing to bet you have a dramatic improvement over Newton if you don't want to use one of our guys currently on IR. Now you have 3 guys that can fight over his job and didn't waste our most valuable in pick years.
Sure you can post chicken dance smilies if you want but most of us do a back and forth thing and offer discussion as to why we make statements. Your last paragraph is what I was asking for as that actually adds something to the thread. Hope it did not put you out too much? When you just say 'I want or do not want (fill in blank)' but no explanation, many of us will just tune you out.

Real quick, Newton played injured all season and of the 2 RTs I think you are talking about, one Brennan Williams is 50-50 to not return and Quessenberry has been noted to be a left guard.

OBTW? Prep H could help soothe those hemmorhoids.

Sure you can post chicken dance smilies if you want but most of us do a back and forth thing and offer discussion as to why we make statements. Your last paragraph is what I was asking for as that actually adds something to the thread. Hope it did not put you out too much? When you just say 'I want or do not want (fill in blank)' but no explanation, many of us will just tune you out.

Real quick, Newton played injured all season and of the 2 RTs I think you are talking about, one Brennan Williams is 50-50 to not return and Quessenberry has been noted to be a left guard.

OBTW? Prep H could help soothe those hemmorhoids.

lol, I was trying to figure out what I needed to buy at the pharmacy to take care of that.

Q hasn't done anything in the NFL, if he's asked to move, he will move. By the size/length of D Brown's contract, I don't expect that vacancy happening anytime soon. If he's as talented as everyone thinks/says, you move him to RT instead of making him a swing/backup Lineman.

If B Will comes back (he will) there is a 100% chance he's a better option than D Newton. You can't get much worse than the 32nd worse RT in the NFL.

D Newton is a loser. I don't care if he was playing football with a dwarf attached to his ankles all year, that mother F better not be the starting RT for the Texans next year. I doubt I'm the only one that sees that and O' Brian owes nothing to guys that Kubiak was blindly loyal to.

If your a mod feel free to move my comments into a thread about RTs that no one will ever read, after all this thread is for Showtime Teddy B.

Just sounds fishy to me.

I'm not gonna debate every part of the post,but let me say a few things. 6'5 240? Who says a qb has to be or needs to be that size. Most will agree, he needs to add weight,functional weight,but he's 6'3 215 is adequate. In terms of mechanics,he's one of the mechanically sound qb to come out in years. His setup,delivery,footwork,balance are all there and have been since probably high school. In terms of off schedule,we've seen Bridgewater make a lot of off schedule plays after he's already made the on schedule plays. He makes thebasic plays 1st and if he has to,he will make the exceptional plays. Every play shouldn't look like a fire drill. A lot of plays are designed to be made on time ,not improvised.

You have your opinion and that's why there are message boards,but I disagree with your perception of what a franchise qb look like. That's your opinion though.

Just sounds fishy to me.

You got all that from watching youtube highlights?

:toropalm:

Screw the combine, lets just go with TK's youtube highlight report. Id be fine with that assessment if you had followed bridgewater extensively and actually watch full games but to sound so sure and detailed just based off youtube highlights makes you sound so pretentious and fraudulent. Even your fear of his size is quite laughable. You act as if the guy is 4'11 and 150lbs.

Absolutely ridiculous post.

I'm not gonna debate every part of the post,but let me say a few things. 6'5 240? Who says a qb has to be or needs to be that size. Most will agree, he needs to add weight,functional weight,but he's 6'3 215 is adequate. In terms of mechanics,he's one of the mechanically sound qb to come out in years. His setup,delivery,footwork,balance are all there and have been since probably high school. In terms of off schedule,we've seen Bridgewater make a lot of off schedule plays after he's already made the on schedule plays. He makes thebasic plays 1st and if he has to,he will make the exceptional plays. Every play shouldn't look like a fire drill. A lot of plays are designed to be made on time ,not improvised.

I didn't say he needs to be 6'5" 240. I'm saying that is ideal & it's what I expect from a prototypical (fits the prototype) #1 overall QB...... not a franchise guy. Franchise QBs come in all shapes & sizes.

If Teddy Bridgewater were 6'3" 215lbs, we wouldn't be having this conversation. ESPN has him listed as 196lbs & that's what he looked like at the Russell Athletic Bowl. Like I said, he may be 215 by time of the combine.

& yeah, I disagree with everyone who praises his mechanics.

You have your opinion and that's why there are message boards,but I disagree with your perception of what a franchise qb look like. That's your opinion though.

Again, he may very well turn into a franchise QB. I can't say. But he doesn't fit the "mold" (prototypical) & while he has a lot of the tools, it's not a complete set.

To spend the #1 overall pick, I want him to look like Peyton Manning, I want a rocket arm, I want someone from a "Major School" from a "Major Conference" playing a "Major Schedule" the prospect had to have played well & his team had to have done well.

Anyone who does not fit that profile (prototypical) has to make up for it in some way. Phillip Rivers fit that mold. Dante Culpepper did not. However Culpepper's mobility made up for it. Tim Couch fit the mold, McNabb didn't. But McNabb's mobility would have made him a #1 overall in my book.

Cam Newton fit the profile (even though he was only at Auburn for one year)

You got all that from watching youtube highlights?

:toropalm:

Screw the combine, lets just go with TK's youtube highlight report. Id be fine with that assessment if you had followed bridgewater extensively and actually watch full games but to sound so sure and detailed just based off youtube highlights makes you sound so pretentious and fraudulent. Even your fear of his size is quite laughable. You act as if the guy is 4'11 and 150lbs.

Absolutely ridiculous post.

We'll see after the combine & I said a little more than just highlights.

Bortles has a stronger arm, has the same clutch gene as TB, is more mobile, both of them appear to be able to read defenses and are accurate. Like I said above they are both 1st rd picks just not 1-1's.

Not sure where you get Bortles is more mobile because he isn't. TB is the quicker of the two. Even his slowest 40 time beats Bortles average time. Not saying Bortles isn't mobile as that would be silly but he isn't more mobile than TB. And TB has proven to be more accurate than Bortles as well. After all TB just had a season of completing 71% of his passes which is uncanny to say the least. This was Bortles best season and he still wasn't as accurate as TB was last season. Not to mention Bortles went up in int's from his previous season despite throwing a few less passes where TB went down in his interceptions.

Bortles looks interesting though but really what he has on TB is size and possibly arm strength. But being able to throw the ball out of the stadium isn't a neccesity. You just want someone with good arm strength and not a noodle arm which TB does have the arm strength. A interesting article recently pointed out that the QB's with the strongest arm have a few issues which deal with ball placement, proper touch and taking certain risks due to over confidence in their arm strength.

Just sounds fishy to me.

You are really over thinking it. Bridgewater has been slotted to many as the top QB prospect all season. No one has yet been able to push him from that so there is nothing fishy going on. Only thing that is all of sudden is the love affair with Bortles and for a bit with Carr though the latter began to quiet down a little. But Bridgewater has been receiving this attention since last year bowl when he playing stronger than expected against Florida's top five scoring defense and number six yard per game defense.

It became between him and Clowney in the beginning of the year. So it's not out of the blue or anything of that sort. No real conspiracy theory here.

As for me, personally, I still want them to trade down and get more picks. Just my preference. I won't rant and rave if they go TB, Bortles, Clowney or even Matthews (though that is one I lean more against). But would love a trade down and get someone who wants to push too hard to get one of those top players. Not enough to space the QB's from each other in my opinion to not take advantage of someone overly eager.

Not sure where you get Bortles is more mobile because he isn't. TB is the quicker of the two. Even his slowest 40 time beats Bortles average time. Not saying Bortles isn't mobile as that would be silly but he isn't more mobile than TB. And TB has proven to be more accurate than Bortles as well. After all TB just had a season of completing 71% of his passes which is uncanny to say the least. This was Bortles best season and he still wasn't as accurate as TB was last season. Not to mention Bortles went up in int's from his previous season despite throwing a few less passes where TB went down in his interceptions.

Bortles looks interesting though but really what he has on TB is size and possibly arm strength. But being able to throw the ball out of the stadium isn't a neccesity. You just want someone with good arm strength and not a noodle arm which TB does have the arm strength. A interesting article recently pointed out that the QB's with the strongest arm have a few issues which deal with ball placement, proper touch and taking certain risks due to over confidence in their arm strength.

You are really over thinking it. Bridgewater has been slotted to many as the top QB prospect all season. No one has yet been able to push him from that so there is nothing fishy going on. Only thing that is all of sudden is the love affair with Bortles and for a bit with Carr though the latter began to quiet down a little. But Bridgewater has been receiving this attention since last year bowl when he playing stronger than expected against Florida's top five scoring defense and number six yard per game defense.

It became between him and Clowney in the beginning of the year. So it's not out of the blue or anything of that sort. No real conspiracy theory here.

As for me, personally, I still want them to trade down and get more picks. Just my preference. I won't rant and rave if they go TB, Bortles, Clowney or even Matthews (though that is one I lean more against). But would love a trade down and get someone who wants to push too hard to get one of those top players. Not enough to space the QB's from each other in my opinion to not take advantage of someone overly eager.

There is more to mobility than speed. Bortles is stronger in the pocket, he is very hard to tackle and has a height/arm strength/size advantage over TB. TB has an advantage in the accuracy dept.

For the record I'm a Clowney supporter and really dont want either one of the QB's at 1-1. Trading down to the Browns at #4 and picking either Clowney or Barr and getting the Browns #36 plus a 2015 1st would be the best thing to have happen. I could see this happening.

Browns- TB
Rams- Barr or Matthews, Fisher- Bruce Matthews connection
Jags- Bortles
Texans Clowney

There is more to mobility than speed. Bortles is stronger in the pocket, he is very hard to tackle and has a height/arm strength/size advantage over TB. TB has an advantage in the accuracy dept.

For the record I'm a Clowney supporter and really dont want either one of the QB's at 1-1. Trading down to the Browns at #4 and picking either Clowney or Barr and getting the Browns #36 plus a 2015 1st would be the best thing to have happen. I could see this happening.

Browns- TB
Rams- Barr or Matthews, Fisher- Bruce Matthews connection
Jags- Bortles
Texans Clowney

When I first read this one thing popped in my head....

'There's our b***h!' If any will make the deal and has the picks it's those stooges. Now whether Smith can get it done remains to be seen.

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/01/02/teddy-bridgewater-2014-nfl-draft/

ORLANDO - He’s boring compared to the what-will-he-do-next flash of Texas A&M’s Johnny Manziel. He looks like a skinny bookworm next to the natural, all-around talent of UCLA’s Brett Hundley. And he hasn’t had many chances to exhibit the clutchness of Central Florida’s Blake Bortles.

Compared on film to other potential quarterbacks in his draft class, Louisville quarterback Teddy Bridgewater doesn’t jump off the screen. But NFL teams still like what they see, and when they dig a little deeper, that like will turn to love.

Count me on board with the "I trust in Bill O'Brien" train. Obviously I'd like it to be Bridgewater but I have a little faith in this new regime.

MSR, thanks for posting. I'm starting to kind of hope for Bridgewater but I'll still trust that O'Brien knows what he's looking for.

Count me on board with the "I trust in Bill O'Brien" train. Obviously I'd like it to be Bridgewater but I have a little faith in this new regime.

I would hope everyone thinks that way too. The coaches and front office will get the real story on these guys.

I think Teddy B. is the obvious choice at this point. And the article addresses alot of concerns people may have about him. Toughness. Hands size. Mobility. Smarts. Football smarts. Body size.

Video game ability. haha :gamer:

The write ups from CBS and MMBQ should quell some dissension in our ranks. What sets apart good from great isn't in a bicep, its in the brain. Teddy B is the most cerebral QB in college football without a doubt.

From the article ... this is pretty dang impressive.

While other college quarterbacks are looking to the sideline for their on-field adjustments, Bridgewater does it all by himself.

“I gave him the keys to the car as a sophomore,” said Watson, who has been a coach for 32 years. “I had never done that before.”

Bridgewater has vast responsibility at the line of scrimmage. First there is the kill system. Two or three plays are called in the huddle. Depending on the defense, Bridgewater has the ability to “kill” the first play, and run one of the others. It’s solely Bridgewater’s decision.

Bridgewater also has an audible system at his disposal, with the same goal as every good NFL system: stay out of bad plays. If the play Watson has called has little chance of success against a particular defense, Bridgewater can change the play entirely at the line of scrimmage.

Finally, Bridgewater redirects the offensive line protections by either identifying the middle linebacker in man-to-man protections, or directing the slide one way or the other in zone.

You’d be hard-pressed to find many, if any, college quarterbacks that are asked to do that much, especially at 21 years old and in a completely full-field read progression system. Most of the recent top drafted quarterbacks, like E.J. Manuel, Geno Smith and Robert Griffin III, came from systems that called for quarterbacks to only read half or a quarter of the field. Bridgewater has the ability to direct the ball to any part of the field on every snap.

“I study pro ball, that’s what I do, that’s my passion, my love. (NFL coaches) are the best at what they do, so I’ve made it what we do,” Watson said. “Most of these kids in college, the coordinator calls it from the press box and then there’s a signal system once the defense declares. The quarterback never gets developed, never gets taught. Teddy’s been taught from day one that I want him to be the coordinator at the line of scrimmage because he can be far better than me. And he can put the ball wherever he thinks is right.”

The more I read about Bridgewater, the more I like.

That being said, unless you think we're going to have the opportunity to get someone better than Bridgewater ... which means the 2nd or 3rd best QB prospect in a future draft AND we are drafting top 5 ... you've got to pull the trigger.

caveat: unless you think we have some kind of front office savants that can identify franchise qb's that other teams don't. That doesn't seem to be the case though.

While other college quarterbacks are looking to the sideline for their on-field adjustments, Bridgewater does it all by himself.

“I gave him the keys to the car as a sophomore,” said Watson, who has been a coach for 32 years. “I had never done that before.”

Bridgewater has vast responsibility at the line of scrimmage. First there is the kill system. Two or three plays are called in the huddle. Depending on the defense, Bridgewater has the ability to “kill” the first play, and run one of the others. It’s solely Bridgewater’s decision.

Bridgewater also has an audible system at his disposal, with the same goal as every good NFL system: stay out of bad plays. If the play Watson has called has little chance of success against a particular defense, Bridgewater can change the play entirely at the line of scrimmage.

Finally, Bridgewater redirects the offensive line protections by either identifying the middle linebacker in man-to-man protections, or directing the slide one way or the other in zone.

You’d be hard-pressed to find many, if any, college quarterbacks that are asked to do that much, especially at 21 years old and in a completely full-field read progression system. Most of the recent top drafted quarterbacks, like E.J. Manuel, Geno Smith and Robert Griffin III, came from systems that called for quarterbacks to only read half or a quarter of the field. Bridgewater has the ability to direct the ball to any part of the field on every snap.

“I study pro ball, that’s what I do, that’s my passion, my love. (NFL coaches) are the best at what they do, so I’ve made it what we do,” Watson said. “Most of these kids in college, the coordinator calls it from the press box and then there’s a signal system once the defense declares. The quarterback never gets developed, never gets taught. Teddy’s been taught from day one that I want him to be the coordinator at the line of scrimmage because he can be far better than me. And he can put the ball wherever he thinks is right.”

This is the biggest difference when discussing Bridgewater vs. the other QB's in this draft. He already has 3 years of experience in a pro system and 2 years of experience calling plays and making adjustments at the line of scrimmage. Meanwhile, guys like Manziel and Petty (also Geno Smith) stand in the shotgun while the coaches do all of this for them. The learning curve for these guys is tremendous and gives TB a huge head start on them in the pro game.

This is the biggest difference when discussing Bridgewater vs. the other QB's in this draft. He already has 3 years of experience in a pro system and 2 years of experience calling plays and making adjustments at the line of scrimmage. Meanwhile, guys like Manziel and Petty (also Geno Smith) stand in the shotgun while the coaches do all of this for them. The learning curve for these guys is tremendous and gives TB a huge head start on them in the pro game.

Yep ... and that's why Luck was so valuable , they had a good idea who he was . The other QBs like VY , Tebow , RG3 , Bortles , Hundley , Colin K , JF , and so on are projections . That increases the bust factor cause you just don't know .

It is impressive that he has been calling audibles and reading the entire field for two years. I like that about him. He does have a huge football IQ. He is the most pro ready in this draft. I don't think that makes him the best though, but I'll trust O'Brien's decision.

The only thing I'm really concerned about at this time is his side arm release. I'd like to see him demonstrate that he does have an overhead release, with accuracy, at the combine.

Plenty of you disagree, but IMO this is a major negative to a successful transition to the NFL. A guy who has so much going for him, what were his coaches in Jr High and High School thinking in not coaching him up. What was he thinking. That may be the problem, kids aren't taught to think. Well, he is what he is, now. Maybe he'll be the one to succeed with such an unorthodox throwing delivery.

We'll have to wait and see if it's with the Texans.

So give him the Carr treatment? Make him uncomfortable and ultimately ruin his career? Yea great idea. His release point is fine considering the speed in which he let's it go. People are reaching for straws.

After looking at the pic, to me it seems like he's looking someone off and throwing in an opposite direction, but hard to tell by one frame of a play.

If we do pass on him, I hope he doesn't end up in Jax. he's the one capable of turning that team around, fast.

Those comments by Watson bring me around a lot closer to wanting Bridgewater than anything I've heard anyone else say. Thanks for posting that.

So give him the Carr treatment? Make him uncomfortable and ultimately ruin his career?..
Nope, I don't believe in that. He is what he already is and you draft him knowing he has an unorthodox delivery. And you build an offense around his strengths.

The comments I've heard about O'Brian is that he does this - designs his offense around the capabilities of his talent. It will will be his decision whether to draft Bridgewater. And I'm optimistic that we'll have an exciting and winning offense. But the challenge and proof will come once we get into the playoffs again and face an elite defense for all the marbles.

From the article it sounds like the kid is a film room rat too.....even better.

I just don't know what i would do if this guy turned out to be what i think he could be...The elation would be off the charts...

I'd like to see him demonstrate that he does have an overhead release, with accuracy, at the combine.

This is just an FYI - Don't get your hopes up to watch him throw at the Combine. Usually almost always the Top 3 to 5 will not throw at the Combine. Instead they will wait until their Pro Day. In a very scripted and choreographed workout they will throw approx 60 passes to their own WRs.

At the same time, he may be a lot closer to his ceiling than the other guys. We may be able to tell, with more certainty, if Bridgewater will be a franchise QB after his first year, where it may take us at least three years with the others.

The only thing I'm really concerned about at this time is his side arm release. I'd like to see him demonstrate that he does have an overhead release, with accuracy, at the combine.

Have you noticed how he carries the ball? Two hands, at his chest. Then he jerks it to his ear, then draws the ball back to throw it. Not a very smooth motion at all & very time consuming.

I don't know this is going to be an issue, but I know it's something brought up in every other QB prospect not named Teddy Bridgewater. Has to be a reason for it.

Taj Boyd carries the ball the same way, however he pulls the ball up & back in one fluid motion, very, very quickly.

I think Clowney is a Peppers type franchise player. (the only one in this draft.) I dont see much if any difference between TB/Manziel/Bortles/Mettenberger/MCarron etc... certainly not worth #1.

Tell me the difference between these QB's and why Bridgewater is 1-1 and McCarron for example is a 2nd/3rd rd pick?

It's hard to explain to people how BPA is better than Best Player at a position of need. I just conclude that there are a plethora of QBs with potential and none are likely to be Franchize QBs. I'm pefectly willing to go with the seventh best QB, Keenum and BPA.

But I'll never be able to convince those that think we should be locked into a QB because Franchise QBs are usually only available at the top. Evidence to the contrary is irrelevant to them.

I'd also be happy with a trade down and other draft picks for the team that thinks they have a franchise player picked out. The Rams are already making their pick available for the right price. We should do the same, even if we wind up using the pick instead of trading it.

Imagine a Cleveland or Minnesota trading their Number 1 in 2014, Number 1 in 2015, Number 2 in 2014 and Number 2 in 2015 due to a bidding war. Wouldn't that be preferable if you think there are 8 QBs with similar potential? We'd get one, if not our first choice and be in a position to get high quality players at positions of need. We're losing FAs by the truckload both this year and next. We have to think long term.

I agree. But I don't think he's significantly better than seven or eight other QBs prospects and only 5 or 6 teams need a starter. Not knowing the status of last years Linemen Quessenberry and Williams. I don't know how great our need is at that position. While risky, the only once a decade talent is Clowney, even with his red flags.

I'm beginning to lean that direction with hopes he respects Watt enough to listen to him and gets excited about the possibilities of a dominant defensive front with a tuned up motor.

I agree. But I don't think he's significantly better than seven or eight other QBs prospects and only 5 or 6 teams need a starter. Not knowing the status of last years Linemen Quessenberry and Williams. I don't know how great our need is at that position. While risky, the only once a decade talent is Clowney, even with his red flags.

I'm beginning to lean that direction with hopes he respects Watt enough to listen to him and gets excited about the possibilities of a dominant defensive front with a tuned up motor.

Right now, I like Clowney if we have to use the #1 overall, but just imagine there was a franchise LT available.

We may not be running the ZBS anymore & Brown did not look like Brown at any time in 2013. So we draft this possible franchise LT (& I don't care if his name is Matthews, Lewan, or Robinson) & he beats out Brown for the LT position.

Then we're looking at Rookie, Jones/Q, Myers, Brooks, Brown.... how can you not want that?

I think drafting a RT in the third or later would be good for the Texans. I think improving our LT position would take the Texans to the next level, & we can still get a one of those 7 QBs. The money thing would be an issue 5 years from now, but it doesn't make sense to manage the cap 5 years from now when either, or both may have suffered an injury that doesn't allow them to play to the level needed between now & then.

Have you noticed how he carries the ball? Two hands, at his chest. Then he jerks it to his ear, then draws the ball back to throw it. Not a very smooth motion at all & very time consuming.

I don't know this is going to be an issue, but I know it's something brought up in every other QB prospect not named Teddy Bridgewater. Has to be a reason for it.

Taj Boyd carries the ball the same way, however he pulls the ball up & back in one fluid motion, very, very quickly.

I'm not seeing the extra motion that you're seeing. He holds the ball at his chest with two hands. He moves the ball around a bit when he's moving his feet. When he throws, it's a motion where he brings the ball back and forward. It's basically the same motion that Manning uses except he might flare his elbow out a little more than Satan does. It might not be as quick of a release as it could be but I'm not seeing anything that's bothering me with it.

Have you noticed how he carries the ball? Two hands, at his chest. Then he jerks it to his ear, then draws the ball back to throw it. Not a very smooth motion at all & very time consuming...

I'm not seeing the extra motion that you're seeing. He holds the ball at his chest with two hands. He moves the ball around a bit when he's moving his feet. When he throws, it's a motion where he brings the ball back and forward. It's basically the same motion that Manning uses except he might flare his elbow out a little more than Satan does. It might not be as quick of a release as it could be but I'm not seeing anything that's bothering me with it.

This should be something very correctable if it proves to need correcting.

I've said my concern, now what I really like is the fact he's been coached to run the offense at the line of scrimmage, much as Peyton Manning does. O'Brian's offense is complicated and he's said his QB's must have the intelligence and instincts to make instant, correct decisions. Bridgewater, by all accounts, is one of the most capable in this area to ever come out of college. He should be as ready as any rookie has ever been to take the reins from day one of the season.

It's hard to explain to people how BPA is better than Best Player at a position of need. I just conclude that there are a plethora of QBs with potential and none are likely to be Franchize QBs. I'm pefectly willing to go with the seventh best QB, Keenum and BPA.

But I'll never be able to convince those that think we should be locked into a QB because Franchise QBs are usually only available at the top. Evidence to the contrary is irrelevant to them.

I'd also be happy with a trade down and other draft picks for the team that thinks they have a franchise player picked out. The Rams are already making their pick available for the right price. We should do the same, even if we wind up using the pick instead of trading it.

Imagine a Cleveland or Minnesota trading their Number 1 in 2014, Number 1 in 2015, Number 2 in 2014 and Number 2 in 2015 due to a bidding war. Wouldn't that be preferable if you think there are 8 QBs with similar potential? We'd get one, if not our first choice and be in a position to get high quality players at positions of need. We're losing FAs by the truckload both this year and next. We have to think long term.
exactly what I have been saying for long time. Good post & reasoning especially with risk mentioned with all players in top ten. As I am a right now guy, I'd rather have Cleveland's #4 and #26 + #73 & #79 as players I love in third. I could also see then trading #4 down to pick up even more picks. No telling what happens a year from now.

Back