Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Teddy Bridgewater

Ummm, nope.

Then you remember what kind of a prospect he was? There was talk that he had a questionable motor. (I didn't see it) He was more or less an after thought because of Bush and VY and not just around here. He was considered a top ten player.

Clowney is pretty much everyone's number one best player in this draft.

Because prospects of Andrew Luck's caliber come along how often? Pretty sure most people were saying best prospect since John Elway. You really wanna suck that long before we gamble on a QB or just keep digging through the trash heap hoping to find that rare diamond a la the Cleveland Browns.

You sound like Jacksonville (Leftwich & Gabbert), Tennesee (Vince & Locker), & Minnesota (Ponder).

I have no problem gambling on a first round QB, but we've got to be smart about it.

Well before this draft "we" stated there was no QB worthy of the #1 pick, there was no "Luck" in this draft. But since we've been a lock for the #1 pick, all of a sudden Teddy Bridgewater is, & Boyd isn't worth a 1st round pick.

That doesn't sound very "smart" to me.

Bruce smith has more heart to play football in his right pinky than Clowney has in his whole body. I dont want another Mario Williams or the Tracy Mcgrady of football.

Even though Mario proved to be the best player in that draft? Well, if that draft were done again at least he'd be considered among the top 10 of that draft where Vince, Lienart, & Bush would not.

Really?

Are you thinking about this stuff before you say it?

If he's the best QB then it is a no brainer. I don't know much about these guys but hopefully one of these QBs will impress the Texans enough for the no. 1 overall pick.

Why?

Geno Smith was the best QB last season, should he have gone #1 overall?

It doesn't make sense to pass on players much better at their positions to pick the "best QB" in the class, just because you need a QB. If we were to get compensated to trade down & then pick said QB, sure. That makes sense. But to just take him at 1-1...... silly.

Then you remember what kind of a prospect he was? There was talk that he had a questionable motor. (I didn't see it) He was more or less an after thought because of Bush and VY and not just around here. He was considered a top ten player.

Clowney is pretty much everyone's number one best player in this draft.

Bush and Vy were clearly the guys with all the name recognition especially early in the draft process. Mario did get a lazy label but as the process went on and people began to figure out what a freak he was, his draft standing increased. There were people here aware of him that wanted him...just not many. I was on the bush wagon personally. At some point very late I decided i'd be content with whatever kubes picked. I wasn't upset with the mario pick at all...just shocked as hell they actually did it.

You sound like Jacksonville (Leftwich & Gabbert), Tennesee (Vince & Locker), & Minnesota (Ponder).

I have no problem gambling on a first round QB, but we've got to be smart about it.

Well before this draft "we" stated there was no QB worthy of the #1 pick, there was no "Luck" in this draft. But since we've been a lock for the #1 pick, all of a sudden Teddy Bridgewater is, & Boyd isn't worth a 1st round pick.

To expand on this.

Jake Locker
Tyron Smith
Blaine Gabbert
JJ Watt
Christian Ponder
Nick Fairley
Robert Quinn
Mike Pouncey
Ryan Kerrigan
Nate Solder
Prince Amukamara
Gabe Carimi

& there's more. You can't tell me those teams wouldn't be better off had they not wasted 3 years picking a guy way too early. If they could have traded down they could have gotten a better talent, compensation, & their guy.

Without the trade, it only makes sense to take the better talent.

Even if there weren't a trade down, even if they couldn't trade back up, had no one taken a QB until Cincinnati with the third pick of the second round... maybe Cinci takes Locker, maybe San Fran takes Gabbert (surely not, but if those two truly graded that much better than Dalton & Kaepernick) then Tennessee would have had better QBs fall to them. Or they would have used a less expensive pick to get the same QB they ended up with (other than the fact that Jacksonville didn't have a 2nd round pick). & they wouldn't have wasted as much time to prove he was the right one, or they would have taken more time to prepare him.

Even though Mario proved to be the best player in that draft? Well, if that draft were done again at least he'd be considered among the top 10 of that draft where Vince, Lienart, & Bush would not.

Really?

Are you thinking about this stuff before you say it?

I never said that the Texans made the wrong choice in draft pick. Pay attention, will you. I am comparing mario to clowney. And just because the Texans picked mario over vince and reggie, it shouldnt influence them in one bit not to take bridgewster over clowney.

Care to extrapolate? Mario at 300 lbs did everything Clowney does. By virtue of being lighter he's faster than Mario, but not by much. Mario was bigger and stronger. I look at Clowney and he looks smallish, his play doesn't jump out and to tag him as generational is a reach. You're banking on what he could be vs what he is. Bad motor, questionable character. Just because his measurables are amazing doesn't mean he will be a great player. He doesn't have an inner fire like Watt, neither does Mario, but Mario has a better technical ability to split double teams and get to the QB. Just my two pennies.

Bad Motor? He didn't want to get hurt, mission accomplishe.

Character issues? Other than being a 20 yr old that likes to drive cars fast, what character issues does Clowney have?

Clowney is more of a quick twitch pass rusher than MW ever was will be. MW has more of a power game and feasts on TE/bad OT's for his sacks. Clowney is more like Peppers at this stage of his career than MW.

Why crap on bridgewater b/c he's the guy we're most likely to pick?

That is EXACTLY why they crap on him. If the Texans had the 8th pick these guys would be having a connipition fit at the thought that the Texans wouldn't trade up to get him.

Bottom line is that, IMO, there's no franchise QB in this draft.

Just like last year when I wanted to trade down to get more picks (including future picks, if possible) since I didn't really like any WR enough in the first.

We could have Keenan Allen as the second WR plus extras to trade back up or trade away for future picks.
Could have another TE like Fauria who only caught seven TD passes and another LB to groom like Zavier Gooden.

Or maybe trade back up to get a complete LB like Sio Moore or a RT like Bakthiari.

The QB corp next year and in 2015 look more interesting.
The guy that plays for BOB at Penn St, for example, had a higher grade than Jameis Winston out of high school, 88 to 84.
Who knows, that might be the guy he will look to bring here.

There are some interesting-looking high school seniors, too.
There's a guy who graded out at 84, same as Winston, that I really like.
He's about 6'3-6'4, 225-235lbs.
And he moves like Mariotta, except he's a white dude.
And he's only fifth at the position.
I will post a video of him later.

Then there's another guy who's about the same size.
Son of the HC at Pittsburg university.
Another member of his close family, I can't remember the relationship, is among the Niners coaching staff.
That guy looks to have the work ethic and the drive.

Then there's another guy who's even bigger, and can still move.

Let them spend their first round picks on this draft class.
We'll have more chances on the next 2-3 classes.

It's not a bad idea to plan ahead if you're a new HC.
Make sure you have a good O-line to protect your QB of the future first.
That way, he can step into a good situation.

I luv ya 76, but dayum, this post captures everything wrong with (hard working highly knowledgeable) draftniks (you) from the perspective of (ignorant) normal fan (me).

Early 2013:
Draftnik: the 2013 QBs all suck. Wait. until 2014, it will be awesome. Bridgewater, Manziel, Mariota, McCarreon, Murray, Boyd.

Fan: OK, sounds good. We only have pick 27 this year anyway.

Early 2014:
Draftnik: the 2014 QBs all suck. Wait until 2015. Winston, Petty, Hundley.
Fan: But we have the #1 pick this year! And Hundley can come out this year!
Draftnik: Hundley will suck if he comes out this year, but be awesome next year. Same for Bridgewater, Manziel, Mariota.
Fan: So we need to draft a RT and go 2-14 again?
Draftnik: of course.

Early 2015:
Draftnik: all the 2015 QBs suck. Wait til 2016. No screw that. This 7th grader in Bumville looks good, wait until 2023.
Fan: Errr, thanks for all the great info. Now I am going to jump in a time machine and go back to 2014 and use the #1 pick on Teddy Bridgewater.
Draftnik: No! You fool! I had him rated 0.0000001 lower than Matthews!!!!!

LOL, Nice to meet you Captain Hindsight. I highly doubt you were banging the table for a busted up Keenan Allen last year that couldn't even work out at a combine. He was the biggest WR injury red flag coming out. The Chargers got themselves a damn steal with him.

LOL, what is your plan bro? To be the worst team in football for the next 3 years. You're something else man. That's awesome you're really doing your homework this far in advance, but the last thing I want is another head coach with a 6 year plan where we continue to lose in the worst division in football until then. Plus, I don't think a new HC will get that same liberty Kubes did and will likely be ousted by the time these potential, hopeful, future all stars possibly declare for the NFL.

That is the Draftnik plan. You must have the worst record every year, and then after 10 or 15 years you can draft Elway, P. Manning, or Luck. (Except the Colts will have the #1 pick that year).

He's not 6'3"

He's probably not 6'3" but I bet he is 3" taller than 6'0" Manziel.

After watching Teddy Bridgewater -- who declared he intends to enter the 2014 NFL Draft on New Year's Day -- close out his career in superb fashion in the Russell Athletic Bowl, I'm not only convinced that he is a franchise player, but he is the crown jewel of the 2014 quarterback class. While I know that several anonymous scouts have reportedly voiced opinions counter to that assessment, I believe Bridgewater will be the next great quarterback to enter the NFL.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...bridgewater-primed-to-be-next-great-qb-in-nfl

Same guy (Bucky Brooks):

Bridgewater put on a solid performance against Rutgers despite being slightly off his game. He didn't exhibit his trademark accuracy at all times, but it's easy to see his burgeoning potential as a franchise player. He is not only a superior passer with exceptional talent, but he has all of the football intelligence and intangibles needed to handle the tough situations that pop up in games. As a player, Bridgewater reminds me of Aaron Rodgers coming out of Cal (I gave Rodgers and Alex Smith bottom-of-the-first-round grades in the 2005 draft when I covered the West Coast for the Carolina Panthers). He is slightly built with a strong arm and extraordinary mental traits. If he continues to progress on his current path, there is no reason why he should not excel at the next level as a franchise quarterback.

FWIW, I agree with him. Bridgewater should be given a late first round draft grade.

Same guy (Bucky Brooks):

FWIW, I agree with him. Bridgewater should be given a late first round draft grade.

Your cherry picking abilities are impressive. At least they can drown out your lack of football knowledge.

I give the guy an article hot off the press and this genius goes back in time. LOL

Texans Talk sure has a lot of ex NFL players and scouts yall should start your own blog and get paid for the level of expertise. Lol.

Just give me another "red" with a cute comment and go about your day I'm thinking everything in this post is within the TOS so you shouldn't have to cry to a Mod.

Your cherry picking abilities are impressive. At least they can drown out your lack of football knowledge.

I give the guy an article hot off the press and this genius goes back in time. LOL

Texans Talk sure has a lot of ex NFL players and scouts yall should start your own blog and get paid for the level of expertise. Lol.

Just give me another "red" with a cute comment and go about your day I'm thinking everything in this post is within the TOS so you shouldn't have to cry to a Mod.

Yeah, I cherry picked his CONCLUSION. Here, maybe this will help:

While some observers likely walked away from the game disappointed in Bridgewater's output, the fact that he was able to make critical plays in the clutch despite being off his game says a lot about his poise and confidence under pressure.

Conclusion

Bridgewater put on a solid performance against Rutgers despite being slightly off his game. He didn't exhibit his trademark accuracy at all times, but it's easy to see his burgeoning potential as a franchise player. He is not only a superior passer with exceptional talent, but he has all of the football intelligence and intangibles needed to handle the tough situations that pop up in games. As a player, Bridgewater reminds me of Aaron Rodgers coming out of Cal (I gave Rodgers and Alex Smith bottom-of-the-first-round grades in the 2005 draft when I covered the West Coast for the Carolina Panthers). He is slightly built with a strong arm and extraordinary mental traits. If he continues to progress on his current path, there is no reason why he should not excel at the next level as a franchise quarterback.

And you crying about me going to mods is crap because I have never once reported you to the mods. I just leave you a neg that appropriately explains why your post, presentation, and pretty much existence on this board is not welcome.

Yawn.

Just post some articles from more "respected" sources. You know, professionals who substantiate your "4-5 better QBs" or this gem "2nd round talent"

Your opinions make me laugh.

McShay says Teddy will be first overall pick, but what does he know right? Lol.

Yawn.

Just post some articles from more "respected" sources. You know, professionals who substantiate your "4-5 better QBs" or this gem "2nd round talent"

Your opinions make me laugh.

McShay says Teddy will be first overall pick, but what does he know right? Lol.

Hey, you're the one who posted an article from a "respected" source, so I just used your same source. Maybe he's just wishy washy.

Hey, you're the one who posted an article from a "respected" source, so I just used your same source. Maybe he's just wishy washy.

You used something from 3 months ago!! So draft stock doesn't rise and fall?

That's what the quotation marks were for, since Brooks is a quack qnd doesnr know what hes talking about direct me in the direction of someone who does, ill listen. Preferably recent mmmkay.

You used something from 3 months ago!! So draft stock doesn't rise and fall?

That's what the quotation marks were for, since Brooks is a quack qnd doesnr know what hes talking about direct me in the direction of someone who does, ill listen. Preferably recent mmmkay.

Sure it does. And I'm OK with people thinking Bridgewater's stock has risen. I just don't think he's worth the #1 overall pick. Crazy opinion, I know. Except, "respected sources" have thought the same thing. The fact that they've evolved on their position doesn't mean that their former opinions are now crazy, ignorant, or any other derogatory term you want to throw out.

I think Bridgewater is not worth the #1 overall pick, and if he were coming out next year, 3-4 QBs would be ranked ahead of him by these so called "respected sources". People don't have to agree with me. I'm not being particularly combative about it. But if someone wants to insult me because I hold that opinion, then that pretty much makes them a jackass and I don't mind taking them to task for being one. I have never attacked anyone's post for thinking that Bridgewater is worth y of the #1 pick. I just disagree. I have attacked YOUR posts because you are evidently incapable of having a civilized discussion with anyone who holds an opinion counter to yours. And it's not just me. You're that way to damn near everyone that disagrees with you.

So with all that, back to Bridgewater. I don't think he's worth the #1 overall pick, but it's a weak draft year. So if he goes #1, I'll pick up the pom poms and cheer him on. But I don't have the same optimism that he'll succeed that I did for guys like Luck and Wilson. But hey, I wasn't high on RGIII or Kaep, so it's not like I'm infallible.

I like Bridgewater at #1. Y'all know that. I've said why I like him.

Can someone who disagrees please just tell me what it is that they don't like besides that they just don't think he is worth the top pick? Please? That's the only thing I ever see. What is it that you see that makes you think that?

We all have differing opinions from time to time. There are a lot of posters on here who have opinions that I respect, even when we disagree. I just wish somebody would give me something beyond "he just isn't worth the top pick" or "he's the third best QB". Why is he the third best? Who is better and why?

This thread has just become pro Bridgewater folks and anti Bridgewater folks throwing rocks at each other.

Can someone who disagrees please just tell me what it is that they don't like besides that they just don't think he is worth the top pick? Please? That's the only thing I ever see. What is it that you see that makes you think that?

We all have differing opinions from time to time. There are a lot of posters on here who have opinions that I respect, even when we disagree. I just wish somebody would give me something beyond "he just isn't worth the top pick" or "he's the third best QB". Why is he the third best? Who is better and why?

This thread has just become pro Bridgewater folks and anti Bridgewater folks throwing rocks at each other.

I think there are better prospects at their respective positions than Bridgewater. Even if I thought Bridgewater was the best QB prospect in this draft, I don't think he's a better QB prospect than Barr is a pass rush OLB prospect, for example. I don't think he's a better QB prospect than Matthews is a tackle prospect, for example. So really, it boils down to two types of people, to me - those who think he is a better QB prospect than those guys are prospects at their positions, and those who think Bridgewater has to be the pick just because he's the best QB and the Texans need a QB. Personally, I absolutely reject the latter argument. If someone thinks that Bridgewater is the #1 prospect in the draft irrespective of position, we can have that debate, and I'm open to hearing it. But for people who are hung up on the position, I just think that's a way to set your franchise back 4 years. I still am haunted by David Carr, sorry. The worst thing that can happen is you draft a guy like David Carr or Alex Smith and spend years trying to figure out how much is him, how much is coaching, how much is the OL, how much is scheme, etc. It's better to get JaMarcus Russell. Then at least you know to cut your losses and move on. Of course, it's best to get a franchise guy.

JMO, as alway, but I am a BPA guy.

What is so wrong with Mario Williams? The guy just had another solid season with 13 sacks for the Bills and made his third pro bowl. He's also a two-time all pro. I wish we had the salary cap space to keep him a few off-seasons ago and maybe our defense wouldn't be so bad.

How many playoff games did we win with him?

If we are gonna point out unsuccessful QBs in the first round should we also make a meaningless list of successful ones? What are you trying to do here? Trying to compare Teddy to any of the above QBs is not very "smart" to me.

I can google names of 5 terrible defensive ends that were drafted too high and throw it in a Clowney thread as well. I won't though, because it's dumb and serves no function.

I am not part of your "we" either. When Matt Schaub decided to throw more TDs to the other team and Case Keenum proved he's not an NFL QB, I began searching for the best QB to draft.

That is EXACTLY why they crap on him. If the Texans had the 8th pick these guys would be having a connipition fit at the thought that the Texans wouldn't trade up to get him.

Early 2013:
Draftnik: the 2013 QBs all suck. Wait. until 2014, it will be awesome. Bridgewater, Manziel, Mariota, McCarreon, Murray, Boyd.

Early 2014:
Draftnik: the 2014 QBs all suck. Wait until 2015. Winston, Petty, Hundley.
Fan: But we have the #1 pick this year! And Hundley can come out this year!
Draftnik: Hundley will suck if he comes out this year, but be awesome next year. Same for Bridgewater, Manziel, Mariota.
Fan: So we need to draft a RT and go 2-14 again?
Draftnik: of course.

Early 2015:
Draftnik: all the 2015 QBs suck. Wait til 2016. No screw that. This 7th grader in Bumville looks good, wait until 2023.
Fan: Errr, thanks for all the great info. Now I am going to jump in a time machine and go back to 2014 and use the #1 pick on Teddy Bridgewater.
Draftnik: No! You fool! I had him rated 0.0000001 lower than Matthews!!!!!

He's probably not 6'3" but I bet he is 3" taller than 6'0" Manziel.

LOL! Had to rep you, I haven't laughed that hard at a post in a while.

Even if Clowney, Barr, and Matthews were good picks, I still don't see how anyone of them would greatly improve the Texans. No pick is certain, but if Bridgewater was anything near as good as advertised people would say how lucky we were to lose that bad in 2013. That right there is worth the gamble to me.

I think there are better prospects at their respective positions than Bridgewater. Even if I thought Bridgewater was the best QB prospect in this draft, I don't think he's a better QB prospect than Barr is a pass rush OLB prospect, for example. I don't think he's a better QB prospect than Matthews is a tackle prospect, for example.

I can respect this reasoning.

So really, it boils down to two types of people, to me - those who think he is a better QB prospect than those guys are prospects at their positions, and those who think Bridgewater has to be the pick just because he's the best QB and the Texans need a QB.

I reject this as well, as it almost always leads to exactly what you describe below.

Personally, I absolutely reject the latter argument. If someone thinks that Bridgewater is the #1 prospect in the draft irrespective of position, we can have that debate, and I'm open to hearing it. But for people who are hung up on the position, I just think that's a way to set your franchise back 4 years. I still am haunted by David Carr, sorry. The worst thing that can happen is you draft a guy like David Carr or Alex Smith and spend years trying to figure out how much is him, how much is coaching, how much is the OL, how much is scheme, etc. It's better to get JaMarcus Russell. Then at least you know to cut your losses and move on. Of course, it's best to get a franchise guy.

I understand the argument that you like a different player more. The one thing I just haven't been able to process is the people who are so critical of Bridgewater but never give any indication as to why. It's basically just that he isn't worth the #1 pick, because I said so.

Even if Clowney, Barr, and Matthews were good picks, I still don't see how anyone of them would greatly improve the Texans.

If you don't see how better protection for your QB or worse protection for the opponent's QB would greatly improve the team, I'm not sure there's much I can say to you. I understand the desire to gamble, though.

I think Clowney is a Peppers type franchise player. (the only one in this draft.) I dont see much if any difference between TB/Manziel/Bortles/Mettenberger/MCarron etc... certainly not worth #1.

Tell me the difference between these QB's and why Bridgewater is 1-1 and McCarron for example is a 2nd/3rd rd pick?

I understand the argument that you like a different player more. The one thing I just haven't been able to process is the people who are so critical of Bridgewater but never give any indication as to why. It's basically just that he isn't worth the #1 pick, because I said so.

I have reservations about Bridgewater because of a few games this year. I do think he's a first rounder. I like a lot about him. I just happen to think other guys in the draft are better prospects at their respective positions. If I'm being totally honest, the guy I think I really want is Nix. A badass NT would have the sort of impact on the defensive side of the ball that a franchise QB would have on the offensive side, IMO. It would free up Cushing to make plays, make it much more difficult for teams to deal with Watt, and make the rest of the team's pass rushers actually show up on occasion. But no one pegs Nix as a Top-5 pick. I get that. I will say that no one pegged Watt as a top-5 pick either, though. ;)

Film Room: Teddy Bridgewater primed to be next great NFL QB
By Bucky Brooks NFL.com

Anybody pay attention to the last line: "... I believe he should be the crown jewel of the 2014 quarterback class -- and Johnny Manziel is the only other quarterback capable of challenging his spot at the top."

I think Clowney is a Peppers type franchise player. (the only one in this draft.) I dont see much if any difference between TB/Manziel/Bortles/Mettenberger/MCarron etc... certainly not worth #1.

Fair enough. Yet I have seen you say that you think Bortles is the best QB. What makes him so?

Tell me the difference between these QB's and why Bridgewater is 1-1 and McCarron for example is a 2nd/3rd rd pick?

I have actually gone into specific detail into the differences between Bridgewater/Manziel and Bridgewater/McCarron previously and don't feel like typing it up again. I'm sure the posts are still floating around here somewhere.

I can go into detail with all of them if you are truly interested and not just trying to prove a point by reversing my argument.

If you don't see how better protection for your QB or worse protection for the opponent's QB would greatly improve the team, I'm not sure there's much I can say to you. I understand the desire to gamble, though.

If I put armed guards outside of a box containing a pile of ******, That pile of ****** is going to be safe. But at the end of the day, why am I spending the money on armed guards to protect that pile?

Agree, it's getting petty. I think it's really funny though. These Rico and E fights are hilarious. I personally feel that most of the hate comes from A&M AKA Manziel fans. They know in their heart of hearts that Johny will be the greatest QB to ever play in the NFL the same way UT fans felt about Vince Young. But since John Football isn't being mentioned as the top QB they go out of their way to discredit all the other competition.

Just my 2 cents from seeing EVERYONE that is destroying TB praising the Shoot out of John F in the Manziel thread.

I think there are better prospects at their respective positions than Bridgewater. Even if I thought Bridgewater was the best QB prospect in this draft, I don't think he's a better QB prospect than Barr is a pass rush OLB prospect, for example. I don't think he's a better QB prospect than Matthews is a tackle prospect, for example.

I hear you and this is what I say to that. The best RT in the draft will add ZERO W's in the W/L column. You can't keep sinking high draft picks into the OLB position EVERY year. I don't want Clowney because I can't picture a scenario where he and Watt are both Texans in 5 years, but he's the ONLY guy I understand us taking if we don't take who I want.

The most glaring hole on this Texans team is what the #1 pick has the perfect ability to mend. Quarterback. Quarterback. Quarterback. And TB happens to be the best one IMO.

I have reservations about Bridgewater because of a few games this year. I do think he's a first rounder. I like a lot about him. I just happen to think other guys in the draft are better prospects at their respective positions. If I'm being totally honest, the guy I think I really want is Nix. A badass NT would have the sort of impact on the defensive side of the ball that a franchise QB would have on the offensive side, IMO. It would free up Cushing to make plays, make it much more difficult for teams to deal with Watt, and make the rest of the team's pass rushers actually show up on occasion. But no one pegs Nix as a Top-5 pick. I get that. I will say that no one pegged Watt as a top-5 pick either, though. ;)
As you know I have pushed Nix for two years but his recent surgery and possible future problems with all that weight on his wheels made me move him from my board. Another hesitation I've had on posting new mock is O'brien's unknown defensive choice. If we move from 3-4 I want to change my 4th round pick from a nose and probably my ILB choice from Smallwood to maybe a Skov type.

Kansas DL, if everyone is healthy, is pretty friggin stacked. You could even say their entire defense is great. You could also say their OL is at least decent. They have an excellent run game, but does anyone rage about the Chiefs? Nope.

Thank you for this response. This is the type of discussion I was looking for. If we're going to argue and fight like children around here we can at least do it intelligently. :pirate:

P.S. I will toot my own horn here since I got dogged in the QB thread that I started, but I was quite clear here that Watt was a top five talent. I never would have predicted he would be this good, but I was very high on him. Loved it when we drafted him.

If I put armed guards outside of a box containing a pile of ******, That pile of ****** is going to be safe. But at the end of the day, why am I spending the money on armed guards to protect that pile?

Agree, it's getting petty. I think it's really funny though. These Rico and E fights are hilarious. I personally feel that most of the hate comes from A&M AKA Manziel fans. They know in their heart of hearts that Johny will be the greatest QB to ever play in the NFL the same way UT fans felt about Vince Young. But since John Football isn't being mentioned as the top QB they go out of their way to discredit all the other competition.

Just my 2 cents from seeing EVERYONE that is destroying TB praising the Shoot out of John F in the Manziel thread.

I hear you and this is what I say to that. The best RT in the draft will add ZERO W's in the W/L column. You can't keep sinking high draft picks into the OLB position EVERY year. I don't want Clowney because I can't picture a scenario where he and Watt are both Texans in 5 years, but he's the ONLY guy I understand us taking if we don't take who I want.

The most glaring hole on this Texans team is what the #1 pick has the perfect ability to mend. Quarterback. Quarterback. Quarterback. And TB happens to be the best one IMO.
"The best RT in the draft will add ZERO W's in the W/L column. "

What you seem to be ignoring with above quote is your line keeps the guy that does put Ws in column. If you respond with "get a RT later" then say whom and why. I'm not saying it cannot be done and on my current board have one in third but I can say why.

Fair enough. Yet I have seen you say that you think Bortles is the best QB. What makes him so?

I have actually gone into specific detail into the differences between Bridgewater/Manziel and Bridgewater/McCarron previously and don't feel like typing it up again. I'm sure the posts are still floating around here somewhere.

I can go into detail with all of them if you are truly interested and not just trying to prove a point by reversing my argument.

Bortles has a stronger arm, has the same clutch gene as TB, is more mobile, both of them appear to be able to read defenses and are accurate. Like I said above they are both 1st rd picks just not 1-1's.

I wasn't being a jackass I truly want to see your evals and where our differences may lie. It will help with the back and forth discussion. If you dont want to do all of that typing that's understanable.

Bortles has a stronger arm, has the same clutch gene as TB, is more mobile, both of them appear to be able to read defenses and are accurate. Like I said above they are both 1st rd picks just not 1-1's.

I wasn't being a jackass I truly want to see your evals and where our differences may lie. It will help with the back and forth discussion. If you dont want to do all of that typing that's understanable.

IMO Bortles doesn't read and adjust as much as Teddy B. Ted will get to his 4th and 5th progression routinely, he completed passes to like 10 different receivers the other night. Bortles has a cannon, but I'm looking forward to watching him tonight to see how he surveys the field.

Just for those who want it here is an updated report from Bucky Brooks on Bridgewater published earlier today (there was a link to one he wrote following his game against Rutgers last year and someone else posted a snippet from this article).

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...bridgewater-primed-to-be-next-great-qb-in-nfl

Personally I like Teddy at 1-1 but I am also intrigued with Bortles and Manziel. Heck, if our guys come to the conclusion that they don't like any of the QBs, which I don't believe will be the case, I love me some Clowney too. Going to be a fun draft season, may the best man win!

"The best RT in the draft will add ZERO W's in the W/L column. "

What you seem to be ignoring with above quote is your line keeps the guy that does put Ws in column. If you respond with "get a RT later" then say whom and why. I'm not saying it cannot be done and on my current board have one in third but I can say why.

lol, thanks for telling me what to do and how to do it.

If I feel like talking about a RT in depth I will do it in a thread that exists that no one cares about. I said I don't want Mathews, that's all I owe this thread.

Real quick though... Derek Newton is arguably the worst RT in the NFL, we have 2 guys currently on the IR that will likely be taking his spot already. Derek Newton was also a 7th round pick. If you draft any RT that has a 4th round grade in the 5th round (happens every draft) I'd be willing to bet you have a dramatic improvement over Newton if you don't want to use one of our guys currently on IR. Now you have 3 guys that can fight over his job and didn't waste our most valuable in pick years.

Just for those who want it here is an updated report from Bucky Brooks on Bridgewater published earlier today (there was a link to one he wrote following his game against Rutgers last year and someone else posted a snippet from this article).

Personally I like Teddy at 1-1 but I am also intrigued with Bortles and Manziel. Heck, if our guys come to the conclusion that they don't like any of the QBs, which I don't believe will be the case, I love me some Clowney too. Going to be a fun draft season, may the best man win!

I'm in the same sort of boat.

There's no draft pick that's going to make everyone happy. And if it turns out good, it was probably because BOB made the pick and if it turns out bad (or goes a different way than people want), then Smith is going to get blamed. At least, that's what's probably going to happen on this board.

But it's like the selection of the coach, there was no single guy everyone was going to love. I like that we got BOB but he does have warts and he's going to have to prove himself.

I'm going to trust him (and the rest of the FO) to make the right choice here. I don't care if it's Bortles or Bridgewater or Manziel or Matthews or Clowney or Barr or whoever explodes at the combine and the Senior Bowl or whatever. I don't care... as long as they make the right choice and the guy ends up being great.

I'm not going to get married to any particular player. (At least, I'm saying that now. That might change as we get closer to the draft.)

With what I've seen from BOB's QB speech, I'm not going to worry if the guy is short or if his arm isn't outrageously strong. He wants someone who's accurate and who's smart and makes correct decisions quickly. At this point, I don't know who that guy is. It MIGHT be TB... it might be someone else.

I never said that the Texans made the wrong choice in draft pick. Pay attention, will you. I am comparing mario to clowney. And just because the Texans picked mario over vince and reggie, it shouldnt influence them in one bit not to take bridgewster over clowney.

You said you don't want to repeat the Mario thing.... as if the Mario thing was a bad pick. He was still one of the best players to come out of that draft & our defense more or less for at least 4 of the years he was here.

Mario was a good player, a damn good player & I wouldn't have a problem "going through that again"

If Clowney plays as well as Mario did, & Bridgewater plays as well as Stafford, we really can't go wrong can we?

You said you don't want to repeat the Mario thing.... as if the Mario thing was a bad pick. He was still one of the best players to come out of that draft & our defense more or less for at least 4 of the years he was here.

Mario was a good player, a damn good player & I wouldn't have a problem "going through that again"

If Clowney plays as well as Mario did, & Bridgewater plays as well as Stafford, we really can't go wrong can we?

Mario got paid well after becoming a FA . I'm thinking they don't hand 100 million to bust .

Kansas DL, if everyone is healthy, is pretty friggin stacked. You could even say their entire defense is great. You could also say their OL is at least decent. They have an excellent run game, but does anyone rage about the Chiefs? Nope.

Actually, everyone believes the Chiefs are pretty much a QB away from being serious Super Bowl contenders. That illustrates the two philosophies - take a QB when the team around him is not good, or take one after you've built a core to support him and speed his development. Obviously, there are degrees in the middle. I am on board with taking a QB if he's the BPA available (or a virtual tie with the BPA). If the team around him sucks, he's not going to be successful. Similarly, if the team is great and the QB sucks, the team is going nowhere. I know people like to say the Texans are a QB away from being good, but I don't buy it. They have maybe 4 players on defense that are good, and one of them can't stay on the field. They have maybe four good players on offense, one of whom didn't stay on the field this year.

That's not to say they can't build both in this draft. I don't think the OL is that far away, if they completely ditch Newton, Wade Smith, and don't hand a job to Ben Jones.

As you know I have pushed Nix for two years but his recent surgery and possible future problems with all that weight on his wheels made me move him from my board. Another hesitation I've had on posting new mock is O'brien's unknown defensive choice. If we move from 3-4 I want to change my 4th round pick from a nose and probably my ILB choice from Smallwood to maybe a Skov type.

Yeah, the Nix mention is assuming the Texans stay with a 3-4. I just really want that badass NT in the middle to do to opponents' interior line what badass NTs do to our interior line.

Early 2013:

I think they got it right. Lots of good looking QBs in this draft, but no "Luck"

By saying no "Luck" to me their saying no clear cut otta be #1 overall pick... I mean last year when they said that, who'd've thunk we'd have the first overall pick?

The thinking was that we could get McCarron, Boyd, Murray @ 25 or later. From what little bit I've seen, that's what we should do. Take an elite talent with that #1 overall. Let the Jags or the Browns take Bridgewater. We can trade back into the first to get Boyd or Mettenberger.

Or trade down, get Marriota or Manziel, & another pick in the second (which can be used to turn your second into a mid first).

If Bridgewater turns into the next Rogers.... whoops. But I'm willing to bet that he won't any more than Marriota or Manziel will turn into the next Kaepernick, or Mettenberger the next Rivers. If Mettenberger would be the clear cut #1 if not for his injury... then that is definitely who we should be going after.

People handing out neg rep because they don't agree on draft status is bush league to me. Who the Fuq cares? The pros rarely agree. Kinda juvenile.

This is close to where I'm currently at. Any of those four players that our new coaching staff feels the most confident in is fine with me. I think Bridgewater has a slight edge because of the offense he plays in. His superior mechanics and his intelligence. I personally want Manziel mostly because of the excitement factor, his fire and I believe he has great ball placement. He is pigeon holed as a running QB really only Teddy has equal placement out of this group.

Bortles just looks the part. Love his size and seems to have the it factor. None may be Luck but like it or not we are almost without a doubt going QB 1.1. I see things in all three that I like. Our new HC is supposed to be a QB guru so let's let him pick his man and roll with it. None of us knows better than he who will fit his system the best.

If he doesn't think any of these guys are fits then it's a no brainer to take the best Ayer in the draft. Clowney. :d:

this is close to where i'm currently at. Any of those four players that our new coaching staff feels the most confident in is fine with me. I think bridgewater has a slight edge because of the offense he plays in. His superior mechanics and his intelligence. I personally want manziel mostly because of the excitement factor, his fire and i believe he has great ball placement. He is pigeon holed as a running qb really only teddy has equal placement out of this group.

Bortles just looks the part. Love his size and seems to have the it factor. None may be luck but like it or not we are almost without a doubt going qb 1.1. I see things in all three that i like. Our new hc is supposed to be a qb guru so let's let him pick his man and roll with it. None of us knows better than he who will fit his system the best.

If he doesn't think any of these guys are fits then it's a no brainer to take the best ayer in the draft. Clowney. :d:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^ this
+1

If we are gonna point out unsuccessful QBs in the first round should we also make a meaningless list of successful ones? What are you trying to do here? Trying to compare Teddy to any of the above QBs is not very "smart" to me.

That's not the point. Jacksonville, Tennessee, & Minnesota all needed QBs. That need made them make an unwise choice & select a QB where they could have had a much better player & still got their QB later in the draft.

I don't have a problem drafting Teddy Bridgewater. He may very well be the best QB in this draft, but that doesn't make him the best player in this draft & just because we need a QB doesn't change that.

It would be like the Jets drafting Ej Manuel at 9 when he didn't have a first round grade, passing on a much more talented player. Instead, they got a guy who could help their team & still got a QB with just as much a chance to become a franchise QB as Ej Manuel.

The problem is that now that we have the #1 pick & everybody knows we need a QB, all the reports are going to come out that Bridgewater is the best talent in this draft when that wasn't the case before.

Best QB in the draft? He may very well be. The only one that will be successful in the NLF? Doubt it. The best talent in this draft? I don't think so.

That's not the point. Jacksonville, Tennessee, & Minnesota all needed QBs. That need made them make an unwise choice & select a QB where they could have had a much better player & still got their QB later in the draft.

I don't have a problem drafting Teddy Bridgewater. He may very well be the best QB in this draft, but that doesn't make him the best player in this draft & just because we need a QB doesn't change that.

It would be like the Jets drafting Ej Manuel at 9 when he didn't have a first round grade, passing on a much more talented player. Instead, they got a guy who could help their team & still got a QB with just as much a chance to become a franchise QB as Ej Manuel.

The problem is that now that we have the #1 pick & everybody knows we need a QB, all the reports are going to come out that Bridgewater is the best talent in this draft when that wasn't the case before.

Best QB in the draft? He may very well be. The only one that will be successful in the NLF? Doubt it. The best talent in this draft? I don't think so.

What have you seen to say he's not just the best qb,but the best talent? I'll wait.

Back