Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Takeaways from the Patriots game.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
You dont like macadamia nut cookies??? I mean if it comes down to drawing up trick plays this year:

OBrien - 0
Watson - 1 (Really Nagy, but then we'd be splitting atoms)

He had a good game Doc, he had a good game. Just like Watson seems to be "finally getting it" ... OBrien MIGHT be finally getting it too!
Don’t troll the Doctor.

Seriously. Know your place with the rest of us.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Brady threw a bad pass on the INT with no pressure on him either.
But most likely, the WR ran a very poor route. Too short and a terrible stem on the quick in.
I think Roby got away with some holding there. Well, I don't know if "got away" is accurate. The refs were letting them play.

Say, that reminds me of that play Cunningham checked Sanu on that 4th & 1 pass that Hargreaves broke up. I'm surprised we got away with that one when the Pats were called on their pick play.

It use to work in NE favor. Not that day.

txtx

Waterboy
If he's on the decline, imo that takes away from our victory. I'd rather he decimate the Chiefs & Bills to show he can still play.
One thing he's never declined on is his red-faced whining when things don't go his way. Can't really think of another great QB who acted so unprofessional on the sidelines. After 6 SBs, you're still throwing your helmet, Tom Baby? So entitled. Just like in any job, you talk about it behind closed doors, not in front of others or on national TV.

ObsiWan

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
WAIT A SECOND!

Does this mean OB isn’t fully responsible for the play calling since Watson can change it?

Does this mean Watson does have some accountability for reading the blitz and changing things depending on what he sees?

Here I have been told that all the sacks were on OB and lousy play calling and nothing was Watson’s fault.
be it blame or credit, its on them both

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
If he's on the decline, imo that takes away from our victory. I'd rather he decimate the Chiefs & Bills to show he can still play.
I don't care if we only beat an in decline Tom Brady. We couldn't beat the Patriots with Jacoby Brissett.

It's not like he's throwing passes from a wheelchair. He's still good, he's just not what he was. And yeah, the talent around him plays into it, but it was easy to see Sunday night that the end may finally be getting near.

dream_team

Hall of Fame
The Pats were 10-1! We shouldn't downplay this victory one bit! That seems to be common for Texans fans. A team is good until they lose to the Texans, then we argue why that team wasn't that good in the first place. Why do this to ourselves?

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
All of those things will effect any QB and age will have nothing to do with it. One of Brady's best seasons was in 2013 when he posted his lowest stat totals over the last 10 years. Its just one of the dumbest things a GM/HC could do to an old QB though. A QB that is 40 years old or more needs to have a lot less responsibility to carry the offense than adding more to it.
True, but for years as he was approaching 40 and even well after, all we continued to hear from the Skip Bayless' of the world was that he & he alone elevates the play of everyone around him & folks could run with that narrative b/c they were still winning SB. So this year, I think everyone acknowledged that the offense would take a hit without Gronk, but noone really gave much creedence to the idea that at some point the relationship between Brady and the other skill guys flipped & the eternal mismatch that Gronk provided week in, week out for Brady was probably making Brady look a little better than he was...

as miniscule as his decline has been on a year to year basis, I have no doubt Belichick saw the decline begin years ago, which explains some of the turmoil in that time between he and Brady.

We're saying the same thing though, just with a different spin on it.

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
The Pats had to settle for a FG when Brady missed a wide-open man in the end zone with no pressure (Texans rushed only 3).

Brady threw a bad pass on the INT with no pressure on him either.
But most likely, the WR ran a very poor route.
Too short and a terrible stem on the quick in.
Harry screwed up on that play. He was benched after that as well.

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
True, but for years as he was approaching 40 and even well after, all we continued to hear from the Skip Bayless' of the world was that he & he alone elevates the play of everyone around him & folks could run with that narrative b/c they were still winning SB. So this year, I think everyone acknowledged that the offense would take a hit without Gronk, but noone really gave much creedence to the idea that at some point the relationship between Brady and the other skill guys flipped & the eternal mismatch that Gronk provided week in, week out for Brady was probably making Brady look a little better than he was...

as miniscule as his decline has been on a year to year basis, I have no doubt Belichick saw the decline begin years ago, which explains some of the turmoil in that time between he and Brady.

We're saying the same thing though, just with a different spin on it.
Yeah, but I'm telling you this season has been almost identical to watching that 2013 season where right before the season the Patriots lost Gronk for the whole year to injury, Hernandez to murder, and Welker was lost in the off season. Pats signed Amendola but he got hurt in game one for most of the year, and Brady had an undrafted rookie in Kendrell Thompkins and Aaron Dobson who was injured half the year too. They were leading the league in drops and Brady was chewing these WR's out left and right, because they were so inept. That year was the first year that Jules started showing that he could become the next Welker and Amendola eventually came back towards the end but the chemistry had to get built up with Brady all over again from pre season. Blount came in that year as well in a in season trade and did spark their running game down the stretch, but ultimately that offense was a disaster very similar to what I've seen all year this year. Brady has made a ton of good throws all season and hasn't hardly forced bad TO's at all. He is actually performing better this year than last year to me where he forced a lot more bad throws in double coverage than any other season.

Here is an article on it shortly after that season. Interesting to look back on it now after so many years, and pretty funny reading the end of it. Even with all of that they still ended up in the AFC Championship game and almost won it.

It was an average season for a guy that will be 37 next year. How long can fans in New England hold out hope for one more Lombardi in the Brady-era? No, he didn’t get all the help from the guys around him, but guys like Amendola and Edelman got open–it’s pretty simple. Brady is regressing, and his time is coming to a close. It might even be time to take a look at what Brady was able to do about ten years ago, because those three Super Bowl rings seem like a memory in the past.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
The only Deshaun "haters" who should be eating crow right now are the ones who said he'll never get it.

This game, imo, shows he is starting to get it. & however badas5 his stats are now, however high he ranks now, is nothing compared to what we are going to see in the future.
I think this offense and Watson are one OL away from being really special. The skill positions are set.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
#52 needs more snaps on defense. More reps, more results. Guy might turn out to be really good.

Duke producing in the passing game. He needs more than just a splash play a game. Get him matched up 1 on 1 like that play Sunday night. Not a LBer in the league can cover him.
Should we be concerned with the running game? Hasn’t been up to snuff last few weeks. Good run Ds or Oline?
I think defenses started believing the press......stop the run and force Watson to beat you under heavy pressure. Quick and fast passing routes effectively replace the run but will later set up the run when defenses have to adjust. Get burned a few times downfield and that'll stretch the defense.....again helping to open the middle of the field and running game.

HouTx11

Rookie
Patriots are getting ready for the playoffs. They're preparing for Baltimore and Kansas City in January.

BO'b needs to do the same. We still have a lot of things to fix in December. He needs to have the team forget what happened. Next time we see NE, Baltimore, or KC it's going to be a totally different game.
It isn't just BO'b that needs to get a fire lit under his @ss, *cough*Crennel*cough*. And it will be the same the next time the Texans face Baltimore. I agree it will be different against the Pats and Chiefs though.

Yes and now, it being "must win" for tge Texans... their odds are better they fail than succeed and I am NOT okay with a Titans led AFC South. Jags, livable. Colts, used to it....

Titans.... its..just an unspeakable abomination... especially when the Texans could have all but banished the Titans hopes.... instead... the gave the Titans all the more motivation to play hard next week.

Hopefully the old curse is stronger than the new one and the Titans fail miserably next week.
Trust me, those of us in Nashville are pretty much in shock too. We've won 4 in a row, 5 of the last 6 in the Tannehill era. Before we managed to always figure out a way to lose to the Colts or lose on the west coast. Not anymore.

Tannehill is playing with video game stats regarding efficiency. He's still not having to sling it around the yard 40 times a game when you have Derrick Henry in the backfield. But he's making the most of the passes. The Titans had 554 yards of total offense with an average gain per play of 9.4(!) yards including a 91 yard passing strike. Tannehill had 391 passing yards on only 27 attempts (21 completed). He was not sacked. Rookie A.J. Brown had 5 catches for 153 yards including the aforementioned 91 yard reception for a TD. Derrick Henry had 18 rushes for 103 yards before he was shut down in the 4th quarter with a dinged up hammy that had bothered him all game (his 4th straight 100+ yard performance).

So now we face Houston in Nashville. If I had to be worried about anything, it's our secondary, who are very dinged up right now. For the corners, Malcom Butler is on IR; Adoree Jackson didn't play this week, nor Lashawn Sims who is the best backup. So we were working with lots of depth players (Logan Ryan is still playing well except for one blown play today for an easy Oakland TD). And Kenny Vaccaro left the game with a concussion...no idea if he'll be available next Sunday. On offense, Derrick Henry's hammy is still trouble and it was slowing him down as the game wore on (he still was running through people). I doubt he'll practice much this week to try to get it as good as possible. TE Delanie Walker is on IR (but we haven't missed him much lately). And our field goal kicking game is still very suspect....Ryan Succop missed another one today although the snap was bad. I think we may be the only team in the NFL under 50% for field goals.

But most of all, the Titan players now believe that they are beat you guys and take control of the division. Considering that the Steelers still control the tiebreaker on the wildcard against us, the division title is the best way for us to make the playoffs.