Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Takeaways from the Panthers game.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
I thought last weeks first half was uninspiring - this whole game was worse.
Offense just could not get into rhythm.
The running game was only just there and the passing game was off. Watson is usually pretty accurate but had a rare off day.
The defense was terrific forcing several turnovers which Texans only converted once. If it wasn't for that D, the score would have been embarrassing.
The oline was bad in the first half and only marginally better in the second. Mancz was brought in to start and was pretty rusty early but made some nice plays as the game progressed.
Texans had one key no call on the facemask on Watson which would have given us 15 yards and a first down however, our coach made one of the most unforgiveable bone-headed offensive plays you could imagine. Texans are 2nd and 4 in the redzone and he calls a gadget play which ends up in a turnover. Only had to keep driving there and you likely get a TD as the Panthers D was getting pretty gassed.
This team looked unprepared on offense - a terrible display.
We should have won this one with the TO's our D forced. Just awful offensive coaching.
2-2
Let 'er rip.

Offense is crap. Always will be with OB. DW heroics can’t bail him out.

OB is not figuring it out. Dude will call one good half for every 15 games and one half of crap.

Until the Coach fires the OC this team is going nowhere.

Until the GM fires the HC this team is going nowhere.

Until the owner fires the GM this team is going nowhere.

Owner needs to force a new OC into the offense from outside the Patriot tree.

OC should have ability to choose a new OL coach.

Owner needs to hire a time manager / challenge manager to alleviate Obrien of those responsibilties.

If OB has a problem with this, show him the door.

He called a play for Hopkins to throw across the field lol even qbs struggle with that throw. We don’t get fancy we win but Ob is a terrible coach overall. Wasting time outs by challenging plays youre clearly going to lose. Even with Deshaun missing some big throws. The game was clearly won. The kicker sucks. The hc sucks. The lines average. Hopkins doesn’t look like himself. Fuller isn’t getting enough calls. The play calling is inconsistent. One of the leaders on this team needs to call a players only meeting. Deshaun needs to let his nuts hang and start audibling out of stupid plays like the hops interception. Ob loses to a rookie qb. “Bad play calling, its my fault but our guys have to execute better”
same excuses. At this point I don’t think the owner cares about this team. I haven’t seen him at a game yet. This team is to talented to not make the playoffs. We’re going to have games like this as long as ob is coaching. He’s dysfunctional and mediocre. No purpose

Something is severely broken on offense. Every week I see:

-DW holding the ball too long instead of getting it to the hot read/check down guy.
Sometimes he has time and still gets sacked.

-Receivers not getting open. I am assuming the coverage is good but do we seriously have that big of a problem getting guys open?

-Missing deep throws.

-Negative yardage plays.

When you hold a team to 16 points and have 3 takeaways that should be a recipe for a win. I have to remember to should on myself with this team. Saying should just sets up an expectation that just isn't realistic right now. Until we see major changes.

Something is severely broken on offense. Every week I see:

-DW holding the ball too long instead of getting it to the hot read/check down guy.
Sometimes he has time and still gets sacked.

-Receivers not getting open. I am assuming the coverage is good but do we seriously have that big of a problem getting guys open?

-Missing deep throws.

-Negative yardage plays.

When you hold a team to 16 points and have 3 takeaways that should be a recipe for a win. I have to remember to should on myself with this team. Saying should just sets up an expectation that just isn't realistic right now. Until we see major changes.

Great point.

3 take aways.
Defense holds the opponent to 16 points.

How does the offense lose the game?

Reactions: ROO
our coach made one of the most unforgiveable bone-headed offensive plays you could imagine. Texans are 2nd and 4 in the redzone and he calls a gadget play which ends up in a turnover. Only had to keep driving there and you likely get a TD as the Panthers D was getting pretty gassed.
And of course Hopkins is deservidley paid a lot of money to win games by caching the football and not throwing the ball.
I sure hope Cal McNair realizes and appreciates how really bad a coaches judgement has to be to decide to make that call in those circumstances.

How did Obrien pull this skit off? Turned a potential great talent to mediocre in less than three years. Wow

That youngster Allen had three fumbles and still kept his head in the game. While Watson missed two ease pitch and catch should've been touchdowns. But lost all of his confidence.

Unbelievable.

Offense is crap. Always will be with OB. DW heroics can’t bail him out.

OB is not figuring it out. Dude will call one good half for every 15 games and one half of crap.

Until the Coach fires the OC this team is going nowhere.

Until the GM fires the HC this team is going nowhere.

Until the owner fires the GM this team is going nowhere.
Even a blind dumb ass hog finds an acorn or gets lucky for a half calling plays.

But at least if the hog wasn’t a dumb ass he would maybe get help. I would take Forrest Gump over BOB to coach the Texans. At least he knew he wasn’t smart

Watson has regressed to a subpar qb thanks to this offensive scheme -- he looked terrible today. Dive up the middle, then drop back, hop around for 3 seconds and either get sacked, or throw the ball without your feet set to the receiver you finally saw open way too late is not an offense. You could literally do that with no offensive scheme playing sandlot style. Except sandlot style would be better because Watson would have enough sense to roll out of the pocket and look for receivers while on the move while posing a dual threat. There's no way it's not safer rolling the pocket or even naked bootlegs because at least Watson has a chance to get out of the traffic and protect himself. At this point Watson reminds me of a guy playing cowboy rodeo poker intentionally standing in the pocket as long as possible hoping that the bull doesn't see him. And he's playing as jittery as one of those guys. Yeah, but it's because our OLine sucks. The OLine could play better, no doubt, but other teams are bringing the house against us because they can w/ impunity. We're too vanilla to make a team pay the price for blitzing so we just go into shell shocked mode instead of utilizing one of the best receiving rb's in the game and making them pay and getting them on their heels. We could bring in 1st round draft picks for the OL the next 3 years and nothing will improve without our offense being more creative. BOB just doesn't have it.

And of course Hopkins is deservidley paid a lot of money to win games by caching the football and not throwing the ball.
I sure hope Cal McNair realizes and appreciates how really bad a coaches judgement has to be to decide to make that call in those circumstances.
We will soon find out a lot about Cal. I really don’t have a lot of hope of anything changing soon

I could see him bringing back Rick before I see him making a change before next year

Takeaway? Watch the 49ers, who were actually my first love in football, so that I can watch a competent, creative offense and an historic organization that is actively trying to restore pride and integrity to their name.

Getting closer and closer every day.

Takeaway? Watch the 49ers, who were actually my first love in football, so that I can watch a competent, creative offense and an historic organization that is actively trying to restore pride and integrity to their name.

Getting closer and closer every day.

Yeah@!@

They will have a good year and then look like straight up trash the following year. Come on

This was such a sad performance that pretty much deflates any hype I had for this season. We seen more David Carr effect from Watson like he showed in the first half last week, just his reaction to the pass rush its not looking good. Injuries are going to begin to pile up now like they do every year and the schedule just gets tougher. I hate to say it but I think this looked like a 6-10 football team today. Bill Obrien really needs to go there's no doubt about it this team aint going anywhere with him, he reminds me so much of Dennis Green.

I only caught the last 2 minutes or so and was following it on my phone. When I saw Hopkins with passing yards and one interception I actually thought my phone had messed up. This is the reason it’s hard to get exited about this team, it’s a roller coaster. When their good they are very good and when they are bad well we see what happened.

It’s not all on the coaches, how the hell does a rookie QB dodge Watt like that, but overall yeah play calling was bad, scheming was bad, execution was bad and overall it was just bad. Now we go into the toughest part of our schedule this season after winning a game we should have lost and losing a game we should have won. Hell if I know what to expect from the rest of the season.

I only caught the last 2 minutes or so and was following it on my phone. When I saw Hopkins with passing yards and one interception I actually thought my phone had messed up. This is the reason it’s hard to get exited about this team, it’s a roller coaster. When their good they are very good and when they are bad well we see what happened.

It’s not all on the coaches, how the hell does a rookie QB dodge Watt like that, but overall yeah play calling was bad, scheming was bad, execution was bad and overall it was just bad. Now we go into the toughest part of our schedule this season after winning a game we should have lost and losing a game we should have won. Hell if I know what to expect from the rest of the season.

The same way Watson dodged a lot of rushers in his rookie season. They're at that level for a reason.

Kyke Allen dodging JJ is balance for DW4 escaping chargers surrounded like 4 times last
For everything DW4 did last week he was horrible this week.

Watt did all he could. Unfortunately dumb play calling on offense cost the game again. Watson made some mistakes, but it’s not like this scheme is helping him make good decisions either.

Also, does everything have to fall apart when Stills goes down?

The Panthers scored six more points than the Texans

And I am glad DFW television saved me the frustration of watching that spit.

Watt did all he could. Unfortunately dumb play calling on offense cost the game again. Watson made some mistakes, but it’s not like this scheme is helping him make good decisions either.

That is something that bothers me and has since last season when Fuller went down. If all the players are on the field BoB’s plans seem to work but if one guy goes down then the whole thing falls apart. That shows a rigidness to his play calling that can’t possibly be successful. I can understand it falling apart if the QB goes down but following apart when the number 3 WR does?

Was it ever together?

Was Watson ever under center today? I hate to use another team as an example, but the Rams usually have Goff under center with Gurley directly behind him so that the defense never knows which way a run will be heading. It also gives Goff a great play action option. If Watson is in the shotgun all of the time it pretty much signals the defense that a pass is probably coming. We seem to have a couple of good running backs now so why don't we use them?

We saw more Hyde & Duke together formations today. I wonder why. Did O'Brien see something he thought he could exploit or did he think this was the perfect opportunity to try some new sht.

We saw more Hyde & Duke together formations today. I wonder why. Did O'Brien see something he thought he could exploit or did he think this was the perfect opportunity to try some new sht.
Well if it was something he could exploit it didn’t fool Rivera and his staff. It did seem to confuse Watson and the offense though.

CMC touched the ball 37 times today for over 180 yards.

Hopkins had 5 receptions for 41 yards. Fuller had 2 or 3 receptions for about 20 yards.

That’s the story of two coaches. One was creative enough to get his best player heavily involved in the game plan while starting a backup behind center. The other had difficulty getting his best offensive players involved while having one of the best QB in the league.

The talent on this offense is too good to put up just 2 TD’s in two home games.

My thing is and has always been with BOB is they have 0 staple plays nor an identity. Even with the offensive talent they have and I think it's the best they've had in awhile, no identity. Going into the game vs Carolina, one thing is for certain, Luke and Thompson is going to make the middle of the field cloudy. Gerald McCoy is going to be a problem, but the corners and safeties are weak. On defense, its all about C-Mac. In every 3rd and medium, he has to be accounted for, yet, he wasn't. Just a slow, lethargic pace to the game today as usual

Looks like the secret is out on how to neutralize Watson. Blitz him on every down. Now that everybody knows the secret, DW4 will not pull another game out of the fire. Texans won't beat another good team this season.

We have repeatedly seen other kickers convert super-long field goals while ours misses them. The chip shot he made today almost grazed the upright. One priority is that we have to find a kicker.

e1ab6afbc1726f29611958435f24d6c9-full.jpg

Back