Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Takeaways from the Jags game.

I needed a day away and to rewatch the game as the stadium is not best to see what was happening

Pluses
- Lonnie outside and Roby in slot was much better than Colvin in slot. Roby is on his way to getting paid
- Zach Cunningham is a beast.
- I saw with CB change more press, certainly played soft, but seemed they adjusted some
- Mercilus, 2 strip sacks, come on man, that spin move still has the LT spinning
- Hyde runs hard, and let's be honest the OL is moving some guys in the running game
- Run D was very solid, only QB scrambles hurt them
- The OL is now set with best talent assuming Martin is in there, let them play. Glad they made the change from Seantrel
- Time out for the defense at the end, actually good game management, yes I said it, his D needed it

Minuses
- Too conservative of coaching, both RAC and OB. OB won't say it, but he was happy with a FG at half, otherwise game management is unexplainable. RAC in the 4th quarter, egads. to BOB credit, he has gone for it on fourth twice and scored a TD, so some good there
- 12 men at critical time, coaching
- DW4 not using the entire field (middle), seeing blitzes. His TD was a freelance, Tytus said we were going left! Dude is a stud, but gets too much of a pass here for his growth areas.
- Picking up pass stunts
- Watt still not making Watt plays
- Fuller drops
- Duke not on same page yet as DW4
- Punting, 25th in the league, big regression

I was expecting the offense to become the identity of the team, this game was therefore a step back

I needed a day away and to rewatch the game as the stadium is not best to see what was happening

Pluses
- Lonnie outside and Roby in slot was much better than Colvin in slot. Roby is on his way to getting paid
- Zach Cunningham is a beast.
- I saw with CB change more press, certainly played soft, but seemed they adjusted some
- Mercilus, 2 strip sacks, come on man, that spin move still has the LT spinning
- Hyde runs hard, and let's be honest the OL is moving some guys in the running game
- Run D was very solid, only QB scrambles hurt them
- The OL is now set with best talent assuming Martin is in there, let them play. Glad they made the change from Seantrel
- Time out for the defense at the end, actually good game management, yes I said it, his D needed it

Minuses
- Too conservative of coaching, both RAC and OB. OB won't say it, but he was happy with a FG at half, otherwise game management is unexplainable. RAC in the 4th quarter, egads. to BOB credit, he has gone for it on fourth twice and scored a TD, so some good there
- 12 men at critical time, coaching
- DW4 not using the entire field (middle), seeing blitzes. His TD was a freelance, Tytus said we were going left! Dude is a stud, but gets too much of a pass here for his growth areas.
- Picking up pass stunts
- Watt still not making Watt plays
- Fuller drops
- Duke not on same page yet as DW4
- Punting, 25th in the league, big regression

I was expecting the offense to become the identity of the team, this game was therefore a step back

Cunningham, Roby and mercilus did play well. With Matthieu and now Roby Crennel might get a reputation as a DC to rebuild your career with.

Unfortunately both Roby and mercilus are unrestricted free agents next year and Cunningham in 2021

That race car has won 3 of its last 4 races.

3 of which with a combination of Tom Savage, Ryan Mallet, or Brian Hoyer at QB.

In regards to game play, Watson is in his second season and developing the small intricacies of being a QB. Give it time.

Who are QBs that Bill O’Brien has hand picked Alex? Also no Watson is in his third season, Mahomes is in his second season.

You said the Texans are boring. You didn't say OB. So I went with what you said. *shrug*

Texans are boring, most of the plays are going to be boring because that’s what the coaches call. Just because every so often something exciting happens doesn’t mean overall it’s not boring. Every so often I go to a fast food place and it tastes like one of the best burgers I’ve ever had but that doesn’t mean 90% of the time it’s not just a grease ball.

Who are QBs that Bill O’Brien has hand picked Alex? Also no Watson is in his third season, Mahomes is in his second season.

Both are on their third season. Mahomes sat and watched his rookie year.

It is well known that Obrien hand picked Hoyer and Mallet. He also wanted Savage that year in the draft.

Seriously. You're wrong.

I meant that in jest and we obviously were looking at different things 2 yrs ago. Hitting WR's in stride is also part of accuracy and yes he's always had issues finding guys down the seam.

Reactions: ROO
Nothing looks like nothing. The run action doesn't vibe off the pass action. They were running the ball well which should have opened up a play action deep throw, but it didn't vibe off what was working. They should've run for 200 yds today with the creases they were getting. He just doesn't know how to construct a great gameplan

Wade Smith on the OL on 610 yesterday...
People talking about the Texans offensive line giving up four sacks yesterday that is completely untrue. Nick Martin snapped the ball early one time, that counted as one sack against the OL. Two other sacks where in blitzes where they had more guys than the OL could protect, the QB is hot he’s got to get rid of the ball. Those are on #4. And then the fourth sack was when Deshaun Watson ran out of bounds, I thought it was a terrible spot. He looked like he gained half a yard, but because he ran out of bounds and they gave it a no gain that counts as a sack. Hopefully they’ll go back and look at it today and take that sack away because I legitimately didn’t think that was a good spot at all. But the offensive line was responsible for one sack. They didn’t play great yesterday, but they played pretty damn good.

Question from the mind-numbingly dense John Lopez: Do you trust pro football focus?

Not really. At the minimal of degree as possible. I disagree with what they say. ~~ Well, I looked at the tape. And when I looked at the tape I didn’t think to myself, ‘Damn they gave up a bunch of pressure.’ I looked at the tape and said, ‘Deshaun Watson had a bunch of time to get balls off, they played pretty damn good.’

The thing that matters is, what does the defensive line on the team they’re going to play against when they look at our OL are they going to say, ‘These dudes are trash we’re going to keep coming after them because we know they can’t pick it up’ or are they saying, ‘Oh now we’ve got to watch out for this guy because we can’t really get a rush over there on the left tackle because he’s pretty much shutting guys down, so we’ve got to rush on the other side because this guy is legit.’ Those are the things that determine wins and losses, not, ‘Am I ranked 37th overall on PFF.’

The Texans are not the worst OL in the league they didn’t play that way. They had two penalties: Tunsil had a fall start that’s bad, Howard had a tripping that’s bad. I don’t work for PFF, I don’t care what they say, I looked at the tape. They had one sack. Nick Martin snapped the ball too soon, that goes on the OL.

I thought Roderick Johnson played pretty damn good against Calais Campbell. He played a lot better than Henderson did, Henderson made mistakes last week that rookies don’t make. You cannot put that on film, that’s not NFL caliber ball, that’s why Roderick Johnson started. He gave up a couple of late hits on the QB, which means he blocked his guy long enough for the quarterback to get the pass off but then the guy hit the QB after the ball was loose and as OL we don’t like that because we don’t want the QB to get touched at all. But I thought Roderick Johnson played well in the run game and I thought he did he did good and pass production.

Tytus Howard was okay, he’s like a rookie he falls down too much, the tripping penalty. But for the most part I thought he played okay.

There was nobody upfront that I thought, ‘Damn we need to upgrade this spot for this team to be successful.’ Going into the season I thought that they could be a top 16 offensive line. I think what they’ve shown they’re going to get there. You have to remember that the first game they had only been playing together for a few days. You add into the mix Tytus Howard was injured and Roderick Johnson should’ve been starting probably to begin with. I just think they’re going to be a middle of the road offense of line. They’re not going to be dominant, but that’s all you need. You have so many good skill players around them that you just need them to be average to begin with. They are going to continue to get better and get on the same page.

Cunningham, Roby and mercilus did play well. With Matthieu and now Roby Crennel might get a reputation as a DC to rebuild your career with.

Unfortunately both Roby and mercilus are unrestricted free agents next year and Cunningham in 2021

I have to disagree here.

Roby gave up the lone TD in the game.
Very poor recognition.
Texans were in zone.
To his outside, there were two fellow defenders and a single receiver.
He had to stretch his zone to follow the inside receiver immediately, but he failed to do so.

For the game,
The Texans were able to pressure the rookie QB quite often.
Roby wasn't challenged much.

IMHO, Roby is definitely not earning his money as a slot CB.
$10M is a lot to have a guy following Dede Westbrook - who's no TY Hilton.

Last edited:
I have to disagree here.

Very poor recognition.
Texans were in zone.
He had to stretch his zone to follow the inside receiver immediately, but he failed to do so.

Yes I think the corner situation is dicey moving forward

PFF’s top units of week 2.

Defensive line: Houston Texans
The Jadeveon Clowney-less Texans defensive line still set the tone in this one, and they combined for 23 pressures on 43 passing snaps against the Jaguars. The surprise standout was rookie Charles Omenihu, as the fifth-round pick made his NFL debut this week and finished with a 90.2 overall grade on 28 snaps. He racked up a sack and two hurries on 24 pass-rushing snaps.

When JJ gets the kind of grades that re-write the pff scale ... they have immense value.

When Deshaun gets the kind of grades that give kudos to his abilities but point out his flaws ... they're obviously trash and have zero value.

So the defense is getting good grades and the offense isn't?

Even though we lost clowney and honey badger but added tunsil, Duke, Howard and stills?

Wade Smith on the OL on 610 yesterday...
People talking about the Texans offensive line giving up four sacks yesterday that is completely untrue. Nick Martin snapped the ball early one time, that counted as one sack against the OL. Two other sacks where in blitzes where they had more guys than the OL could protect, the QB is hot he’s got to get rid of the ball. Those are on #4. And then the fourth sack was when Deshaun Watson ran out of bounds, I thought it was a terrible spot. He looked like he gained half a yard, but because he ran out of bounds and they gave it a no gain that counts as a sack. Hopefully they’ll go back and look at it today and take that sack away because I legitimately didn’t think that was a good spot at all. But the offensive line was responsible for one sack. They didn’t play great yesterday, but they played pretty damn good.

Question from the mind-numbingly dense John Lopez: Do you trust pro football focus?

Not really. At the minimal of degree as possible. I disagree with what they say. ~~ Well, I looked at the tape. And when I looked at the tape I didn’t think to myself, ‘Damn they gave up a bunch of pressure.’ I looked at the tape and said, ‘Deshaun Watson had a bunch of time to get balls off, they played pretty damn good.’

The thing that matters is, what does the defensive line on the team they’re going to play against when they look at our OL are they going to say, ‘These dudes are trash we’re going to keep coming after them because we know they can’t pick it up’ or are they saying, ‘Oh now we’ve got to watch out for this guy because we can’t really get a rush over there on the left tackle because he’s pretty much shutting guys down, so we’ve got to rush on the other side because this guy is legit.’ Those are the things that determine wins and losses, not, ‘Am I ranked 37th overall on PFF.’

The Texans are not the worst OL in the league they didn’t play that way. They had two penalties: Tunsil had a fall start that’s bad, Howard had a tripping that’s bad. I don’t work for PFF, I don’t care what they say, I looked at the tape. They had one sack. Nick Martin snapped the ball too soon, that goes on the OL.

I thought Roderick Johnson played pretty damn good against Calais Campbell. He played a lot better than Henderson did, Henderson made mistakes last week that rookies don’t make. You cannot put that on film, that’s not NFL caliber ball, that’s why Roderick Johnson started. He gave up a couple of late hits on the QB, which means he blocked his guy long enough for the quarterback to get the pass off but then the guy hit the QB after the ball was loose and as OL we don’t like that because we don’t want the QB to get touched at all. But I thought Roderick Johnson played well in the run game and I thought he did he did good and pass production.

Tytus Howard was okay, he’s like a rookie he falls down too much, the tripping penalty. But for the most part I thought he played okay.

There was nobody upfront that I thought, ‘Damn we need to upgrade this spot for this team to be successful.’ Going into the season I thought that they could be a top 16 offensive line. I think what they’ve shown they’re going to get there. You have to remember that the first game they had only been playing together for a few days. You add into the mix Tytus Howard was injured and Roderick Johnson should’ve been starting probably to begin with. I just think they’re going to be a middle of the road offense of line. They’re not going to be dominant, but that’s all you need. You have so many good skill players around them that you just need them to be average to begin with. They are going to continue to get better and get on the same page.

I thought we were letting Howard off the hook for playing against Campbell, but I guess everybody gets a pass (Rod would've been destroyed by Ngakoue). Rest of this post falls apart. Not that anyone really agrees with PFF these days, but Wade Smith seems to have gone from objective to part of the payroll - using PFF as a diversion. Or just position biased.

Watson is getting smashed every game. Offensive line, holding the ball too long and playcalling ... they all go into it same as every other team. Result is our QB is getting hit too much. Watson doesn't see his checkdown because he's still waiting for Hopkins to make his cut. He doesn't locate the open tightend because O'Brien has identified his first two reads and they're still handfighting with DB's on the sidelines 15 yards down the field during max protect. He's got little repertoire or trust with his backs (and tightends) in the passing game because they're motioned to either blocking or split to the widest receiver. It's hard to go through your reads when you are escaping the pocket before your first read is even into his break for all of the reasons above.

Last edited:
I thought we were letting Howard off the hook for playing against Campbell, but I guess everybody gets a pass (Rod would've been destroyed by Ngakoue). Rest of this post falls apart. Not that anyone really agrees with PFF these days, but Wade Smith seems to have gone from objective to part of the payroll - using PFF as a diversion. Or just position biased.

Watson is getting smashed every game. Offensive line, holding the ball too long and playcalling ... they all go into it same as every other team. Result is our QB is getting hit too much. Watson doesn't see his checkdown because he's still waiting for Hopkins to make his cut. He doesn't locate the open tightend because O'Brien has identified his first two reads and they're still handfighting with DB's on the sidelines 15 yards down the field during max protect. He's got little repertoire or trust with his backs (and tightends) in the passing game because they're motioned to either blocking or split to the widest receiver. It's hard to go through your reads when you are escaping the pocket before your first read is even into his break for all of the reasons above.

So since you disagree with Smith he's not objective?

Akins was open several times down the seam and Watson only found him once.

Continue on

Last edited:
I'm not supporting BOB.

I'm also noting why you're the way you are.

So, not supporting O'Brien with every post you make being in support of O'Brien. Good to know.

Being right? Yeah it's a burden, thankfully there are at least a couple people who don't have to experience such things. The last two O'Brien fans ... braving it out against logic, common sense and the entire fan base. To you fine gentlemen I raise a toast. As we circle the drain and wave as the draft passes us by, take solace in knowing at least there was that one time he yelled at Brady and his best offense was a cheap imitation of Clemson for Rick Smith's new QB.

So, not supporting O'Brien with every post you make being in support of O'Brien. Good to know.

Being right? Yeah it's a burden, thankfully there are at least a couple people who don't have to experience such things. The last two O'Brien fans ... braving it out against logic, common sense and the entire fan base. To you fine gentlemen I raise a toast. As we circle the drain and wave as the draft passes us by, take solace in knowing at least there was that one time he yelled at Brady and his best offense was a cheap imitation of Clemson for Rick Smith's new QB.

What's wrong with not taking a negative view of everything? I haven't heard or read anyone praising OB, just realizing that there is more to the story than just OB.

What's wrong with not taking a negative view of everything? I haven't heard or read anyone praising OB, just realizing that there is more to the story than just OB.

So we should be negative about everything else including Watson and Crennel too?

I've been positive on most everything a fan can be. Negative about the one constant that it seems all but two posters agree with, though I'm not quite sure how you've missed their praise and defense of OB - it's in most threads. One attempts to hide it (badly) with a random disagreement among a multitude of being grateful for OB's 'direction', blaming everyone else and a string of posts for any bad word spoken about his coach - the other is in 100%.

I've been positive on most everything a fan can be. Negative about the one constant that it seems all but two posters agree with, though I'm not quite sure how you've missed their praise and defense of OB - it's in most threads. One attempts to hide it (badly) with a random disagreement among a multitude of being grateful for OB's 'direction', blaming everyone else and a string of posts for any bad word spoken about his coach - the other is in 100%.

I guess it's a mindset... you read differently than I do

True

And I have pointed out BOB's faults with time mgmt/challenges/Clowney trade etc...

But he only hears what he wants to hear.

And we’re back to the same crap as always. I was just on the Dolphins forum and they are happier about their team and more hopeful about the future than we are.

Think about that, a team that is basically in full tank mode, that is so bad you could legit say that some college teams could beat them and even after they tank and get whoever still share a division with NE is more optimistic than this board.

Oh and they also attack each other a lot less. Seriously if I was a new person and read any of these threads I’d run as far as I could.

I have to disagree here.

Very poor recognition.
Texans were in zone.

For the game,
Roby wasn't challenged much.

I thought the Jags game was Roby's first start at the slot? Also wasn't he signed to be a press cornerback man to man? We're still playing way too much Zone.

And we’re back to the same crap as always. I was just on the Dolphins forum and they are happier about their team and more hopeful about the future than we are.

Think about that, a team that is basically in full tank mode, that is so bad you could legit say that some college teams could beat them and even after they tank and get whoever still share a division with NE is more optimistic than this board.

Oh and they also attack each other a lot less. Seriously if I was a new person and read any of these threads I’d run as far as I could.
Miami could trade out of 1.1 and pick up a fantastic package and still get five to six starters with their rounds 1 and 2. In my opinion this was a perfect year for them to exercise this plan. They should be able to get a prime starting QB, wide receiver like Jerry jeudy, a cornerback or 2, a LT and lots of depth in their draft. Oh, and they have 2 first round and 2 second rounds in 20 21.

Back