Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Takeaways from the Jags game.

I haven’t read through the thread but my takeaways from the game.... and I’m sure it’s been mentioned, but
Man OB sucks as an “offensive mind” I’m sorry. Just flat pathetic.
You traded for a dude that was known for catching it out of the backfield and you can’t scheme his open.

TE’s over the middle? Oh, we can do that? Wow, novel concept.

Watt got owned by a rookie Tackle. Ya he made a few plays but going against a rookie tackle and QB he should have destroyed it.

And RAC still playin that soft cushion crap. Smh....

A win is a win and it’s a division game, but man it shouldn’t be that tough. Not with the talent on offense.

Jags didn't want to give the ball back to Watson.

Not sure why they ran it though with the Stache marching down the field like that

Like a broken record. Run on 2nd and 10. Pass on 3rd and 2.

What would have happened if Jax hadn't attacked the strength of our D on the extra point try?

Hopkins committed an unforgivable sin when he ran that 3rd down pattern a yard short of the marker.

Think I figured it out. What we saw was a lack of communication on the field. All the coaches felt tradition was important and so we needed to keep the one of losing to rookie QBs alive. The players, however, didn’t all get this memo and were trying to win. BoB and RAC did everything they could but in the end it wasn’t enough to keep the tradition alive.

Oh well, next week we play the chargers and I’m sure our tradition of losing to good QBs will be just fine.

If the jags dont play on Thursday do they try for two??? Seen this talked about. Didnt understand the move but makes sense

Jags made the right decision going for two. They outplayed expectations and had an opportunity to win the division game on the road with a depleted roster. Don’t want to risk giving DW4 an opportunity to get the ball back in OT. Plus an extra point isn’t automatic anymore.

The playcall was questionable but at end of the day they are built to run the ball so it made sense in terms of team identity. Would be questioned if they put the ball in the hands of their rookie and he didn’t convert as well.

About as an unimpressive win as there could be. O’Brien is one of the, if not the most conservative HC’s with a lead and he continues to make the same mistakes over and over. There’s just no more excuses for him. He’s far beneath the talent and competency level at his job as first year rookie players he coaches are at there’s. And when the team realizes it, he will lose them, if he hasn’t already.

This is an honest question. Do you think it is because he has tunnel vision calling the plays and misses the timeouts or do you think he is just incapable of understanding clock management?

He’s a micromanager that isn’t good at delegating responsibility. That’s why he’s head coach, OC, GM, etc.

But it’s not his job to understand clock management. Hopefully someone finds out who’s job that is so OB can fire them and assume their role!

This is an honest question. Do you think it is because he has tunnel vision calling the plays and misses the timeouts or do you think he is just incapable of understanding clock management?

I think he is wearing to many hats and is still to new to just being a HC to take on all this. Yes, yes he has been a HC for 6 years but that’s still the only time he has been a HC. BB had been a HC for 10 years before he got to NE and they still didn’t give him the keys to the kingdom till he and Brady showed they were the “I win” button.

I said this was his problem last year when he was just HC and OC and now that you add GM to that mix I wouldn’t be surprised if he doesn’t one day miss a game because he forgot what day we were playing on.

To me he has all the marks of a new manager. He is trying to do everything and not delegating because he is afraid someone else will mess it up. Normally that’s when a senior manager sits the newbie down and explains you can’t do everything but seeing as BoB McNair never did that and Cal is new himself........yeah.

It's just my theory, but I think he absolutely CAN learn it but thinks he already knows it. I had coworkers like that. They were smart, but since they thought they already knew everything they never learned new things

It's just my theory, but I think he absolutely CAN learn it but thinks he already knows it. I had coworkers like that. They were smart, but since they thought they already knew everything they never learned new things

I'd say it's a pretty important part of being a Hc. If he hasn't learned it after 6 years why would he now?

Think I figured it out. What we saw was a lack of communication on the field. All the coaches felt tradition was important and so we needed to keep the one of losing to rookie QBs alive. The players, however, didn’t all get this memo and were trying to win. BoB and RAC did everything they could but in the end it wasn’t enough to keep the tradition alive.

Well, the tradition is that the Texans are now 10-1 against rookie QBs under OB. Only loss, Brissett.

OB is a control freak. And unfortunately it is detrimental to the team. It will be interesting to see if any major changes happen this week. Last week we cut Colvin. My wish would be him just handing over play calling duties to our "OC" because it can't be much worse. That way he can focus on other stuff.

Well, the tradition is that the Texans are now 10-1 against rookie QBs under OB. Only loss, Brissett.

Could be right, I’ll admit I didn’t research this one as much as I normally do, mainly because I didn’t care. Come to think of it that describes a lot about how I feel when it comes to the Texans these days.

About as an unimpressive win as there could be. O’Brien is one of the, if not the most conservative HC’s with a lead and he continues to make the same mistakes over and over. There’s just no more excuses for him. He’s far beneath the talent and competency level at his job as first year rookie players he coaches are at there’s. And when the team realizes it, he will lose them, if he hasn’t already.
Are you saying O'B should be called the walking mistake? I don't disagree.
Those 2nd and long runs make it plenty obvious he's still calling the plays. Old school: Most of the plays should be called on the field.

Reactions: ROO
A win is a win but it was a big letdown from the great game the Texans played against the Saints last Monday.
I said a few days ago that this Jags team has a defense and would be playing for pride.
To my eye, the defense was prepared but the O was underprepared and the Jags D stiffled them.
Carlos Hyde looked good again carrying over his nice form from game 1.
Hero of the day was Justin Reid - I hope he gets over his injury soon. Playing with heart.
I'll open it up.

I'm worried about our defense, the offense is getting better

The game decisions that really bug me:
1. Why does the defense continue to play the defenders so far off of the receivers, allowing easy 7 - 10 yd passes?
2. Why so few rushing on obvious pass plays?
3. Why hasn't Crennel been fired or demoted?
4. Every other team has offensive plays that get people open (did you see the Rams play the Saints?). Why doesn't the Texans have anything like that in their playbook?
5. Different O-Linemen, same coach, same inconsistent play. Why hasn't Devlin been fired or demoted?

Poor JJ. The Refs allow him to get mugged, which the opposing line can do since they don't have Clowney to worry about as well...Helluva trade! That move alone will probably get the "Management Team" an invitation to join MENSA. Can't wait to see what BOB trades JJ for when he decides to rebuild the defense...

That shitshow taking your sweet ass time at the end of the first half drove me crazy. There is no way you should be pinched for time when you start a drive with 3:30 to go in the half and multiple timeouts. You don't get a shot in the end zone and kick a field goal with 2 seconds left. This dude just has no clue how to manage a clock in a 2 min situation.

After today I'm getting more sure of my 7 wins or less season prediction.

It was kind of a pathetic showing for both teams actually. If Foles was in there, we'd probably be 0-2 right now.

Well, on to the Bolts on the road. I wonder in what ingenious way OB will figure out how to pull a loss from the jaws of victory next Sunday.

Are you saying O'B should be called the walking mistake? I don't disagree.
He should be called “the former head coach for the Houston Texans”. I know it probably won’t happen this year. But if he continues to missmanage the games, continues to make the same clock management decisions, it’ll happen sooner rather than later. Cal’s not blind. He see’s the same things we see.

He should be called “the former head coach for the Houston Texans”. I know it probably won’t happen this year. But if he continues to missmanage the games, continues to make the same clock management decisions, it’ll happen sooner rather than later. Cal’s not blind. He see’s the same things we see.
I don't think he sees what we see. If he did BOB wouldn't be here.

Spotted Omenihu once today - how many snaps did he play?
That also includes coaching. I wish OB would just let his "OC" call plays. It can only go up from what we are seeing now.
I'm seeing a trend here - two seasons in a row we play a contender first game and almost pull off an upset then the next game sucks.
Says to me OB had plenty of time to prepare for both game 1's but underprepared the next and likely most of the rest of the season so looks to me he has too much on his plate.
He needs to stick to one task, not two or three. Hell, he has someone to make an offensive gameplan - use him.

Last edited:
I try not to be OVER REACTION JACKSON....... I really do...... and essentially these are really preseason games becuz these guys don’t play any ball in the preseason....... we probably won’t see who this team really is until game 4 or 5 of this season...... now with that being said ...... these are observations that SLIGHTLY WORRY ME

So our offense showed up last Sunday and our defense didn’t show up....... this Sunday our defense showed up and the offense didn’t show up at all...... can we ever get a game when all three phases play halfway decent and show up together and all play well like a normal team ??? Or is that too much to ask of O Brien to have a team
Halfway prepared to play a 60 min game??!!

And I don’t ever wanna see that O Brien is a offensive guru/mastermind ever again in my life....... this guy is no Sean Payton...... Kubiak..... Andy Reid........ his play calling is the worse I have possibly ever seen...... we have possibly one of the best set of WR’s in the entire NFL but the long vanilla sand lot old school plays that this guy calls don’t even get them open...... somebody should be wide open every play becuz we have a nuclear weapon in NUK Hopkins who demands you to shift coverage his way........ and we have speed demons all over the place but with these vanilla high school coach beginner routes O Brien makes them run ...... he can’t get em open....... and he is suppose to be a BELICHECK disciple...... BELICHECK is the King of getting creative to get slow no speed no talent WR’s open almost every play with picks and Rub routes....... O Brien does neither...... he is calling plays everybody can cover and it’s super frustrating

O Brien will run on 2nd and a mile and when it’s 2nd and short he runs a damn pass play......... it’s the most backwards ass **** I ever seen in my life man........ then we was inside the 5 yard line a couple times yesterday and the dumb ass runs a spread offense inside the 5 where everything shrinks and you need somebody to get open in a millisecond...... you can’t fun long routes that take time inside the 5 yard line....... this idiot is running plays like we at mid field........ inside the 5 ......at least try to trick the defense..... we do a spread 4 wide out set instead of lining up and at least get under center and act like we about to run so the defense at least tries to guess what we doing and don’t just know right off the bat....... this play calling is putting us is 3rd and long WAY TO OFTEN and Watson magic on third down and a mile is working right now but at some point that **** is gonna get us killed by a actual good team and defense

And I Love Deshaun Watson....... I really do...... but for the love of God teach this kid to stop holding the ball and trying to extend every play and be a super hero every single down of the game....... he has to pick his spots on when to put his cape on and Carry this team and when to just take what the defense gives you and live to fight another down....... this kid has taken to much of a beating and it’s not all on the offensive line...... for the most part they hold up for 4 to 5 secs yesterday...... Deshaun has to get thru his progression’s faster and get the ball out of his hands and just trust his teammates and playmakers to make some plays in space...... he feels he has to be the playmaker ever single play and most times that takes him to hold the ball and try to extend the play and it’s getting him killed and the offensive line can’t hold up 8 or 9 seconds ......... Deshaun has to take some short stuff three step drops and get the ball out and not go for the homerun every play...... he won’t last much longer doing that every play......

O Brien really needs to make adjustments to this offense...... he suppose to be a New England disciple but we don’t use the game inside the hash marks and don’t use a weapon we have in the runningback out the backfield AT ALL....... why are we not using the middle of the field..... we have mismatches at the TE almost every play....... no linebackers can cover our tight ends..... we don’t throw to the slot receivers at all....... and we have speed in the slot with Coutee ...... Stills and Carter...... and for the love if God check the ball down to the runningback at times ........ the runningback be wide open and Deshaun is waiting on a receiver to get open 30 yards down the field ...... man check the ball down to Duke Johnson or Hyde and let them do work......

The offensive line is ok in my opinion...... we have like 3 to four new guys and you can’t get better until you play .....so they learning each other ...... this line will be good by game 5 or 6 And start gelling so I’m not concerned with the mistakes they making now...... They won’t be making them by then in my opinion....... Deshaun is responsible for a lot of his sacks tho holding the ball way tooo long

I think he feels he has to ride it out with BoB this season. Honestly, unless and until BoB loses the locker room I’d probably do the same and make the change in the offseason. Firing BoB now, after starting 1-1 a season removed from a 11-5 season would probably look irrational. It might scare off good HC candidates.

Just my 2 cents.

Aside from BoB, the offensive line played better than game 1 but they’re still tied for last in the NFL giving up sacks. And they gave up 16 QB pressures yesterday.

The defense again tried to lose the game. I don’t know what it’s going to take for them to close out a game. It’s a trend and it needs to stop.

Maybe this resurgence of a RB isn’t a fluke. The line is doing a good job of firing off the ball.

For the most part, Watson is still holding the ball too long. He had a wide open Gillispia in the first half. I’d have to watch the All 22 to see how many more quick hitters he missed.

Find your TE’s more.

The only explanation I have is that O'Brien must be an amazing communicator when it comes to working the office politics. His time at Penn St working booster events must have prepared him well to deal with the money is no object kind of people.

It's pretty remarkable all things considered. A coach who feasts on a terrible division and gets smacked every time he plays a team with a pulse in a big game and yet still consolidating power in the organization. The Texans should be teaching a class on O'Brien's office politics rather than how to run an NFL franchise.

Back