Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Takeaways from the Colts game.

KarlK

Waterboy
"He is expected at some point during the offseason to get a new deal done with the Chiefs that I would think, just guessing, is going to be a deal in excess of $200 million over the course of that contract," Schefter said. "So let's just say five years, $40-plus million per year, $200-plus million."

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/patriots/nfl-rumors-heres-how-big-patrick-mahomes-contract-extension-could-be-offseason

And if someone like reader leaves, that means the team gets worse
You’re right, of course. But your wasting your breath; they don’t wanna hear it because the truth hurts. They’ll see in 2 years though.

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
if he wants a team around him, he may park his ego. I retired early and am comfortable (not like him), and in reality, his life will not be different at $30m or $40m, nor generations of his family. So this is what he and his agent make it
There is plenty of money for him to be paid his value and to build a good team around him. Not fair to ask him to take a cut when obrien is throwing around money and draft picks like confetti.

Up to him though

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
I understand the cap is going to go up about 20 mil after the new CBA is signed and if the contracts are structured properly there shouldn't be any cap issues. Look if losing a 2021 1st/2nd rd pick is going to ruin this franchise then they aren't managing the cap well and if the past is any indicator the Texans handle the cap well.

Except the guy that handled the cap "well" is now gone ….

As for the cap going up 20m … that's not a whole lot when you consider two players are going to account for 48m minimum in Watson and Tunsil - In Year ONE of their extensions.

That's not the only looming free agents - they have a long list of quality players with limited funds and few draft picks - they cold really take a step back.

Their window is this year and next …. after that things get difficult - get used to mediocrity.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
Watson will get 40. So basically just resigning the guys we have uses up all the capspace, and the team as currently constructed is mediocre
Mahomes isn't even projected to get 40 right now & he's got an MVP already....... but whatever..... You're jumping thru hoops trying to prove something that you don't really have a clue about. In any case, even if Watson somehow does gets 40, there will still be money left over.......I only used the tool to see if it were possible for us to resign all the guys, In all liklihood it probably won't happen...Someone's bound to leave..Nevertheless the big money will be in the right places: QB, LT, CB and pass rush.

But whatever, Im more than willing to let you continue to drum up trash arguments and catch L's :ok:.
I don't think Watson gets 40 …. but 35 isn't out of the question. Figure 17-18 for Tunsil.

Then the next year is when things get tight … Fuller , Cunningham , Mancz , Stills , Scarlett , Conley.

KarlK

Waterboy
I don't think Watson gets 40 …. but 35 isn't out of the question. Figure 17-18 for Tunsil.

Then the next year is when things get tight … Fuller , Cunningham , Mancz , Stills , Scarlett , Conley.
Mahomes is projected by some to be at 40 mill per year. I could see Deshaun coming in below that, but not too far below. 37-38 million maybe?

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
Mahomes is projected by some to be at 40 mill per year. I could see Deshaun coming in below that, but not too far below. 37-38 million maybe?
Not in the first year of their deals …. maybe the last year they approach that but not out of the gate.

Think they both start around 32.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame

Scarlett's cheap, Stills i could see staying at the expense of Fuller if he doesn't want to restructure. If he doesn't, let him walk and save that 4-5 mil. Mancz should be gone..can't stay healthy. Conley still on the rookie deal..Could go either way.

Cunningham's the only guy to worry about & the money he will command can be gotten thru Clowney & J-jo's money coming off the books & a small restructure.

Texas Jake

Rookie
Towards the end of the off-season many here are complaining we have this huge amount of cap space we should have used to sign several expensive free agents. Now, we trade away some draft picks and there is no way we are going to be able to pay the players on the roster (even though we have that huge amount of cap space they were freaking out because we didn't spend it). I guess some people are addicted to panic mode. I prefer not to pull my hair out about things I have no control over.

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Towards the end of the off-season many here are complaining we have this huge amount of cap space we should have used to sign several expensive free agents. Now, we trade away some draft picks and there is no way we are going to be able to pay the players on the roster (even though we have that huge amount of cap space they were freaking out because we didn't spend it). I guess some people are addicted to panic mode. I prefer not to pull my hair out about things I have no control over.
I think those people were two different groups

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Except the guy that handled the cap "well" is now gone ….

As for the cap going up 20m … that's not a whole lot when you consider two players are going to account for 48m minimum in Watson and Tunsil - In Year ONE of their extensions.

That's not the only looming free agents - they have a long list of quality players with limited funds and few draft picks - they cold really take a step back.

Their window is this year and next …. after that things get difficult - get used to mediocrity.
If the cap goes up 20 mil that would put the Texans at 112 mil in cap space. More than enough to keep the guys you want to keep.

Olson is the guy who has done the cap/contracts and he's still here.

People are finding things to worry about.

Mangler

Toro de España
If the Texans are inferior after mortgaging the future to the colts who had luck retire at the last second, then multiple people should be fired for incompetence
Professor Butt Chin is the GM/OC/and HC. So, he counts as “multiple people.” Fire his ass for the everlasting rebuild mode and incompetence!

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

Conley has 2 yrs on his contract after this yr.

All the other guys I would let walk if I needed the cap space. Cunningham is a guy I would like to keep but he will get more on the open market than I would pay him.

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Conley has 2 yrs on his contract after this yr.

All the other guys I would let walk if I needed the cap space. Cunningham is a guy I would like to keep but he will get more on the open market than I would pay him.
Conley will be around $10m his last year I believe.

If the other guys walk, are they just going to be replaced by cheap free agents and mid to low draft picks?

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Conley will be around $10m his last year I believe.

If the other guys walk, are they just going to be replaced by cheap free agents and mid to low draft picks?
Fuller or Stills, 1 of those guys would be staying at the expense of the other. Mancz and Scarlett are cheap now...so why couldn't we replace them with cheap FA's and low draft picks?

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Fuller or Stills, 1 of those guys would be staying at the expense of the other. Mancz and Scarlett are cheap now...so why couldn't we replace them with cheap FA's and low draft picks?
Because there is no guarantee the replacements will be good.

I hope it's Fuller because he's much better than stills

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Because there is no guarantee the replacements will be good.

I hope it's Fuller because he's much better than stills
Your rationale is asinine considering that in another thread you were just calling all those types of guys "scrubs"..now all of a sudden you're worried about whether or not the replacement guys we could get for them would be as good as them...There's no hierarchy. You're either good enough to contribute on some level or you can't play, period.

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Your rationale is asinine considering that in another thread you were just calling all those types of guys "scrubs"..now all of a sudden you're worried about whether or not the replacement guys we could get for them would be as good as them...There's no hierarchy. You're either good enough to contribute on some level or you can't play, period.
My argument has been that we are going to lose free agents over the next couple of years and are not prepared at all to replace them

KarlK

Waterboy
So your assertion is that we can just replace all these cheap free agents with other cheap free agents. I hate to break it to you but this is not a Super Bowl caliber team. So how is this this team going to get appreciably better using this approach, with very few impact draft picks?

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
So your assertion is that we can just replace all these cheap free agents with other cheap free agents. I hate to break it to you but this is not a Super Bowl caliber team. So how is this this team going to get appreciably better using this approach, with very few impact draft picks?
Most teams who win championships don't have pro bowlers but at a few choice positions. They mostly have guys that they've developed and/or brought in on the cheap that fit what they need them to do. Yes some are drafted, alot aren't & even moreso most are JAGS. You're not going to have pro bowlers......or burgeoning pro bowlers at every position or 100% great depth where a guy is waiting in the wings to replace a starter no matter how many draft picks you hoard for the future....or cap space you keep for that matter. The bottom half of rosters for every NFL team churn every year & there's almost always a group of players that can be brought in that can contribute cheaply between undrafted FA's and other teams' practice squads.

How will they get better? Time & continuity playing together mainly. Not saying that this is a championship caliber team now, but adding high draft picks every year doesn't guarantee that they'll ascend to that either..

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
My argument has been that we are going to lose free agents over the next couple of years and are not prepared at all to replace them
So what's your point? This is a problem most teams who have alot of talent have. & even those "prepared" still really aren't. Check out Seattle. Over the last few years they jettisoned & or flat out shipped off just about every player from their championship team & they haven't been able to replace......really any of those guys. That's b/c finding the caliber of players they shipped off and/or let go ain't as easy as having a pick, using said pick to get a guy "you think" can replace them. They kinda have to be able to play.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
Fuller is having hammy issues and shouldn't play. I wish we could get something for him.
I’m thinking Fuller is done after this season. Has he played a single full season since being drafted? Don’t get me wrong I love the guy but the best ability is availability. Stills is having his own issues but I still think he can fill that speedster role.

Still wish we had drafted Brown and traded up for Howard but is what it is.

Hoptimus Prime

Waterboy
Takeaways:

We got screwed around by the refs, but not the only reason we lost. Highlight (or lowlight, rather) was the bs "sack" that negated a TD.

Far too many dumb penalties - most being on 3rd and long. Worst was McKinney's hit on Ebron for no reason.

Coaching was really bad (per usual), but it was really accentuated in this game by disastrous clock management.

We got a "C" game from Watson and the offense. Albeit a tougher opponent, the line seemed to struggle with Howard out. Was hoping Johnson would be decent until Howard's return, but this might be an area of concern in the meantime.

All these things, and we still had multiple chances to win the game. I think we win the next matchup in Houston. And if we meet in the postseason, I think we win that one too. I believe we're the better team.

badboy

Hall of Fame
I’m thinking Fuller is done after this season. Has he played a single full season since being drafted? Don’t get me wrong I love the guy but the best ability is availability. Stills is having his own issues but I still think he can fill that speedster role.

IMO Fuller has been brought back too early too many times from injuries and I do not expect that to change. Injuries have kept our wide receivers from being as effective as they could be and I'm surprised that Hopkins has managed to stay on the field as much as he has with his. I once thought that Anders would be our slot. My Hope resides in patching enough wide receivers to get through this season. My hope also includes our supposed TE depth to become larger role. We always seem to be catching up and never getting ahead.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club

I don't think missing games should be the reason we should consider letting Fuller go. His issue has been hamstrings. Once you screw up that first recovery, you pretty much put him behind the 8 ball.

I was hoping with Stills we wouldn't be so prone to rushing either Fuller or Coutee back, then Stills got hurt.

But if we could get to the playoffs with all four of our receivers healthy, I mean real healthy. We'd win it all.

badboy

Hall of Fame
I think getting to the playoffs is what O'Brien is faced with now. Has to use every player to get win each week. A solid win versus Raiders with no major injuries would give some time to heal. If Skipper can hold right tackle against Oakland enough to run Duke to that side of field and Hyde can do his thing through the middle this could turn out to be a run game. Wouldn't it be something if Hyde could outperform Josh Jacobs? I am hoping that Watson can bide his time and pick spots to make his ability to to take off very significant. Number 4 needs to hit Stills early deep and force linebackers to have a reason to play back a bit to cover our tight ends. Watson and some draw plays could gain "surprise" yardage. It may be necessary as it was against Colts to get Hopkins beat up to get first downs but I hope not.

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.
Raiders have the 31st ranked secondary (how's that make you feel about our trade?)

Go deep early and often. 2nd half should be to kill clock.

I want to see them protect skipper in pass plays with a blocking te. We rarely did it last week.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Raiders have the 31st ranked secondary (how's that make you feel about our trade?)

Go deep early and often. 2nd half should be to kill clock.

I want to see them protect skipper in pass plays with a blocking te. We rarely did it last week.
You may not have to worry about protecting Skipper........being limited with that neck stinger, there's no guarantee he plays Sunday.