Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Takeaways from the Colts game.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
I was telling my work mates during the week that if we can get 150yds on the ground we will win this game. Didn't look like happening.
Texans looked lethargic and gave away far too many penalty yards. Just did not look like the team we saw in the two previous games and the slow start bug bit again.
Play was very sloppy most of the time. Uninspiring game to watch although I did like the way the defense forced a three and out after the Colts D put on that lovely interception celebration and the quick TD drive afterward. Way to answer - just a shame we could not figure out a way to score enough points to win the game.
We did look better when we went no huddle but the Colts D played very well.
If we don't get some secondary help, we are going to get slapped around by every team we play.
A shame Keke couldn't hold on to that last pass but they needed to show that urgency through the first 3 quarters.
I'll put it up.

WolverineFan

Hall of Fame
Defense has zero organic pass rush and horrible secondary. They were lucky to only give up 30 today. Colts could have put up 40 if they didn't turtle the last 20 minutes.

Offense is so conservative and stale. The only thing that wakes them up is playing from behind. They are completely incapable of being explosive while they have a lead.

O'Brien has the worst clock management in the NFL. He sucks. Any 8 year old who's played Madden could do better.

banned1976

sleeper mode
This was one of the least enjoyable Texans games I’ve ever watched. Very sloppy on both sides of the ball. The penalties were overwhelming to the point of distracting.

The Texans need a bye week in the worst way and it’s still 2 weeks away.

The games where O'Brien trusts Deshaun are the ones the Texans win. The games where he waits until they're in a huge hole before giving Deshaun the reins are the ones the Texans lose. The Texans won't win anything until Bill lets Deshaun play his game from the opening whistle instead of this conservative play calling. Deshaun thrives when they're aggressive and up tempo. This slow it down style doesn't work.

KA4Texan

Woof!
Contributor's Club
I think everything about the Texans leadership is stagnant. Thats why I see no future for this team until you deal with the source of the stagnation.

Til then.... the Texans will just feed off the blood of the fans like the mosquitoes that stagnation breeds.

ATXtexanfan

Hall of Fame
Colts have a better staff
The games where O'Brien trusts Deshaun are the ones the Texans win. The games where he waits until they're in a huge hole before giving Deshaun the reins are the ones the Texans lose. The Texans won't win anything until Bill lets Deshaun play his game from the opening whistle instead of this conservative play calling. Deshaun thrives when they're aggressive and up tempo. This slow it down style doesn't work.
I would Buy you a beer right now

Earl34

Hall of Fame
The Texans do so many things that leaves you scratching your head.
  • Instead of going two TEs, you put a scrub RT you picked up this week in a critical play where he proceeds to fail to check in with the refs.
  • Your starting RT gets hurt and that same scrub RT has to play and you run more to the right side than the left behind Tunsil and Sharping
  • The game plan seemed to revolved on jet sweep motion and you forget rollouts and moving pockets.
  • Your biggest runs and most productive plays appear to be in 21 personnel, but you continue to call shotgun plays

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
I think too many here are not giving the Colts the credit they deserve. They're not flashy. But they're solid. Fundamentally sound & well coached.

We're not. We're flashy, playmakers, but we're not focused on the details & fundamentals.
They are not terrible. But without luck they aren't good either

jshabang

Quality Backup!
You can tell when O Brien took the playcalling back this week........ all that spread crap all game long and inside the 5...... the bunch trips formation was confusing the colts and giving them problems and he went away from it....... Deshaun still can’t hit a hot receiver to save giants life and O Brien and this clock management thing is far more the need a running joke now......... it’s a full sad at this point

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
I think too many here are not giving the Colts the credit they deserve. They're not flashy. But they're solid. Fundamentally sound & well coached.

We're not. We're flashy, playmakers, but we're not focused on the details & fundamentals.
We may be saying the same thing but what I see when I look at a well drilled team is intensity and urgency.
You only see that with certain individuals on the Texans and for mine it starts with the coach.
Slow starts to me don't show enough urgency and focus.

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Deshaun Watson and DeAndre Hopkins clicked in this game and connected on multiple throws downfield, most of which went for first downs. Watson also connected with Hopkins in the fourth quarter to bring the game within a touchdown, but an interception by Watson on the final drive derailed the comeback attempt.

The offensive line struggled to keep Watson free from pressure during the game, and that resulted in several off-target throws. Right tackle Roderick Johnson especially struggled when matched up against the superior edge defenders of the colts, and he allowed a sack and multiple pressures in this one.

It was a long day for the Texans’ secondary. They had a number of coverage busts and penalties away from the play that kept the Colts offense on the field.

J.J. Watt set the tone on the very first play of the game by pushing the pocket, getting in the passing lane and batting the pass attempt to the ground. He started as he meant to go on and ended the game with a number of disruptions to the Indianapolis passing game.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-week-7-pff-refocused-indianapolis-colts-30-houston-texans-23

Aaron Pitman

Practice Squad
If the Colts aren’t good, then neither are the Chiefs or Texans. They’ve pushed both of these teams around and would have the 2 seed in the AFC after today (if the playoffs started today).

If the Colts are bad, what’s the rest of the AFC?

Reich is a fantastic coach, and Brissett now has 14 TD/3 INT. I’d say the Colts are better than we’re giving them credit for, and just might have a 1st round bye. Next 3 games, Denver, Pitt and Miami. They should be 7-2 before they see us again. We have to be 6-3 heading into that one to give ourselves a chance, because their schedule and their team gives them a shot at 12-4, 11-5. Thank goodness Vinatieri **** the bed at LA and the team against Oakland or we’d already be screwed.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Deshaun Watson and DeAndre Hopkins clicked in this game and connected on multiple throws downfield, most of which went for first downs. Watson also connected with Hopkins in the fourth quarter to bring the game within a touchdown, but an interception by Watson on the final drive derailed the comeback attempt.

The offensive line struggled to keep Watson free from pressure during the game, and that resulted in several off-target throws. Right tackle Roderick Johnson especially struggled when matched up against the superior edge defenders of the colts, and he allowed a sack and multiple pressures in this one.

It was a long day for the Texans’ secondary. They had a number of coverage busts and penalties away from the play that kept the Colts offense on the field.

J.J. Watt set the tone on the very first play of the game by pushing the pocket, getting in the passing lane and batting the pass attempt to the ground. He started as he meant to go on and ended the game with a number of disruptions to the Indianapolis passing game.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-week-7-pff-refocused-indianapolis-colts-30-houston-texans-23
This is why I am so skeptical of PFF's evaluations.............Deshaun Watson QB rating this game 45.2

How is Total QBR calculated? We explain our quarterback rating

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
Just flat out disappointed. That's all I can say.

This is the second loss to an inferior team - the first being Carolina.

This one likely cost them the #2 seed and a bye in the first round of the playoffs.

I don't even know who I want to blame this time … screw it - the whole franchise from Cal all the way down to the water boy.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

This one likely cost them the #2 seed and a bye in the first round of the playoffs.

I don't even know who I want to blame this time … screw it - the whole franchise from Cal all the way down to the water boy.
Told you about going undefeated in division.

You gotta be able to beat the Colts/Refs in Indy. I thought the Texans would win today, but I'm not really surprised by this loss.

The Texans are about where I thought they would be at this point in the season.

Texas Jake

Rookie

I am not ready to call the Colts an inferior team. They are well coached, have an efficient offense, a good defense and are capable of beating any team in this league. They seem to be adjusting to not having Luck and getting better each week. I think they are going to make some serious noise this year. We played a sloppy game, but you have to give Indy their props. Many of the problems we were having were a direct reflection of the quality of the opponent we were playing. We won't have any easy wins against the Colt this year.

KarlK

Waterboy

lol.....you can tell yourself whatever you want in order to cope with reality, but Indianapolis and Carolina are better football teams than Houston right now.

You reek of saltiness making comments like that.

amazing80

Hall of Fame
A team that can beat bad or injured teams, but will get dominated like children when we play legit teams.

Seegara

Guitar Picker, Dog Lover, Woodworker
Taking that safety was the worst decision possible.
The only good thing to say is that this was not a must win game.

texanhead08

All Pro
I just don't think we match up good with the Colts and it seems like they got in our heads the last 2 games last year. I expected to lose this game just because of how things went last year.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Still true after six fuc*ing years. He is what he is. He’s a control freak that isn’t good at any particular thing. We will only see progress once they move him out of the way. Till then, more of the same thing we’ve seen since 2014. Year six of the three year rebuild.
We will see if you're right.

This is yr 2 of a 3 yr rebuild and they're ahead of schedule IMHO. Even though they lost today.

amazing80

Hall of Fame
This is what we have come to expect from an O'Brian coached team. Good against bad teams & bad against good teams.

O'Brian's Record against above 500 teams including this season.
12/30 .286

O'Brian's record against opponents who score 22 or more including this season.
6/34 .150
Such an accurate way to show how terrible he truly is.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
Colts had 4 first downs on penalties, and there were a number more penalties that killed the defensive momentum.

Watson has a TD taken away by the refs.

Watson had an interception on key drive.

Watson had another interception on a key drive.

OB’s time management shouldn’t be given a pass, but if Watson hadn’t had a TD taken away, or made a TD on any of those drives he threw and interception it could have been a different game. Also, same goes for the defensive penalties.

banned1976

sleeper mode
This is what we have come to expect from an O'Brian coached team. Good against bad teams & bad against good teams.

O'Brian's Record against above 500 teams including this season.
12/30 .286

O'Brian's record against opponents who score 22 or more including this season.
6/34 .150
Well, according to some it’s all because he still doesn’t have the right QB. Who knows, maybe that’s true. Wondering what the result will be when there’s a Watson/O’Brien power struggle?