Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Takeaways from the Chiefs game.

I can't wait to see what happens tonight. Every year is different & every team is different every year. Last year's Chiefs were a contender. This year, I don't know.

What I do know is O'Brien has a poor record against good teams.

What I do know is good teams don't lose three in a row.

So I believe if the Chiefs lose tonight our win against them does not mean as much as I think it means right now.

Still a good win, but not beating a good team win.

Please - no doses of reality. Let me have this win.

However - to drive your point home you can take a look at Jacksonville when they made it to the AFC Championship game and then look at them the year following.

Re-watching the Watson pick at the end of the 2nd half on All-22. My observations & interpretations:
  • It looks like Watson audibles to this play. Hyde initially lined up in the backfield. Chiefs were showing cover 2 man. Watson tells Hyde to lineup stacked behind Nuk. I personally am not sure what Watson saw, I think they could have gotten the 1st rather easily with a handoff to Hyde. Texans had only one timeout left w/ 39 seconds left, so could have simply been a time issue.
  • The LB & CB blitzed, but OL picked it up rather nicely.
  • Could have dumped to Hyde on an out for easy first down & stop the clock.
  • My guess is Fuller ran the wrong route (he should have done a post). Coutee got behind his guy and was open. That's my guess who Watson was throwing to. Looks like would have been an accurate pass to Coutee too, but Fuller brought his CB to the play.
  • Maybe someone can enlighten me on this one, but I have no idea why a PI wasn't called on this play? #21 trips Fuller and makes him go to the ground.
5ad1fea482.png

I understand this play actually ended up helping the Texans, but it was a very curious play that I wanted to understand. Thoughts?

I remember watching this play and thinking here we go again …. two receivers ending up in the same area. Its happened an awful lot this season and almost always outside the numbers.

This might be the worst example yet , usually there are 5-8 yards separation like a layered route ....

I'm thinking there are flaws in the play design in some cases and in others someone ran the wrong route.

The question is why are two WRs so close to each other? My bet is Keke ran the wrong route. Whenever two WRs are in the same area, it always seems Keke is involved. Refs definitely missed the PI call.

Nope , it was happening a lot with Still too ….

I don't think its so much the Chiefs aren't a good team as it is that frankly teams have figured out the magic bullet to kill Reid's current game plan. I actually kind of expect Denver to win tonight because they have a pretty good run game and right now that is the weakness of the Chiefs. Here is the problem, even when Mahomes does get on the field they are not controlling the clock because Reid will not create a run game or a passing game that isn't something from a highlight reel. So Mahomes goes out there, makes like three 20+ yard passes, they score, he's back on the bench for another 8 minute drive that results in a touchdown at the end. If they could extend the drives out with a run game or shorter passes so the defense isn't so gassed then they would look more like they did last year.

Wow reading over that its almost like you could have applied that to us for like the last 5 years, you know, minus the "they score" part.

Mahomes is playing with a high ankle sprain and cant move like he usually does. Couple this with LT Fisher being out and his replacement Ewing flat out sucking and you see the offense not being as good. Also the Chiefs defense is almost as bad as Atlanta's.

I remember watching this play and thinking here we go again …. two receivers ending up in the same area. Its happened an awful lot this season and almost always outside the numbers.

This might be the worst example yet , usually there are 5-8 yards separation like a layered route ....

I'm thinking there are flaws in the play design in some cases and in others someone ran the wrong route.

Nope , it was happening a lot with Still too ….

Wrong routes being run. There's no offense on earth that would design 2 receivers that close together.

Wrong routes being run. There's no offense on earth that would design 2 receivers that close together.

We're talking about OB here …. He's done some wacky stuff in the past. I don't put anything past him.

Like I said , the one in the image above is the worst one yet and almost certainly someone ran the wrong route …. but its happened multiple times a game where two guys are running out breaking routes with one just a few yards deeper than the other , ending up in close proximity outside the numbers.

Those guys aren't making that many mistakes ...

Exactly. Andy Reid... brilliant offensive mind. Avg HC. People change. I'd love to see Reid get a Lombardi. He's gotten so close, so many times.

Ditto. He should have brought in Gregg Williams last year (if he could have) to mimic what Kubiak and Wade did.

Plus Reid has done something Belicheck hasn’t.

Reid has had a more successful coaching tree.

Exactly. Andy Reid... brilliant offensive mind. Avg HC. People change. I'd love to see Reid get a Lombardi. He's gotten so close, so many times.

Reid is likely the second best head coach in football, (John Harbaugh deserves consideration. Winning consistently with Flacco is a miracle).

There's only 4 active coaches with a better winning percentage than Reid's .612. McCarthy (.618), Payton (.621), Tomlin (.644), and Belichick (.685). Winning is a lot easier when you have Brees, Rothlisberger, Rogers, and Brady.

There's only 25 other all time with a better percentage than Reid's .612, though only 13 of those won more than 100 games (Andy Reid has won 199): John Madden, George Allen, George Halas, Don Shula, Paul Brown, Tony Dungy, George Seifert, Curly Lambeau, Bill Cowher, Bud Grant, Joe Gibbs, Buck Shaw, and Marty Schottenheimer.

He's way, way better than an average head coach.

Reid is likely the second best head coach in football, (John Harbaugh deserves consideration. Winning consistently with Flacco is a miracle).

There's only 4 active coaches with a better winning percentage than Reid's .612. McCarthy (.618), Payton (.621), Tomlin (.644), and Belichick (.685). Winning is a lot easier when you have Brees, Rothlisberger, Rogers, and Brady.

There's only 25 other all time with a better percentage than Reid's .612, though only 13 of those won more than 100 games (Andy Reid has won 199): John Madden, George Allen, George Halas, Don Shula, Paul Brown, Tony Dungy, George Seifert, Curly Lambeau, Bill Cowher, Bud Grant, Joe Gibbs, Buck Shaw, and Marty Schottenheimer.

He's way, way better than an average head coach.

Reid has had Alex Smith his whole time in KC. Smith may not be a Brady but he was far better than most teams have.

We're talking about OB here …. He's done some wacky stuff in the past. I don't put anything past him.

Like I said , the one in the image above is the worst one yet and almost certainly someone ran the wrong route …. but its happened multiple times a game where two guys are running out breaking routes with one just a few yards deeper than the other , ending up in close proximity outside the numbers.

Those guys aren't making that many mistakes ...

Sure they are... say for instance Coutie thought he was the Z when he was really the Y... if he was the only one to read it wrong, bad **** happens

Ditto. He should have brought in Gregg Williams last year (if he could have) to mimic what Kubiak and Wade did.

Plus Reid has done something Belicheck hasn’t.

Reid has had a more successful coaching tree.

That's because BB's side the coach's fail so spectacularly they get fired so fast, but Texans have the McNairs

I don't think its so much the Chiefs aren't a good team as it is that frankly teams have figured out the magic bullet to kill Reid's current game plan. I actually kind of expect Denver to win tonight because they have a pretty good run game and right now that is the weakness of the Chiefs. Here is the problem, even when Mahomes does get on the field they are not controlling the clock because Reid will not create a run game or a passing game that isn't something from a highlight reel. So Mahomes goes out there, makes like three 20+ yard passes, they score, he's back on the bench for another 8 minute drive that results in a touchdown at the end. If they could extend the drives out with a run game or shorter passes so the defense isn't so gassed then they would look more like they did last year.

Wow reading over that its almost like you could have applied that to us for like the last 5 years, you know, minus the "they score" part.

When watching the game tonight keep in mind that the Chiefs are going into this game even worse regarding injuries (that includes Mahomes) than they did last game.............with 3 less days than usual to recover.

When watching the game tonight keep in mind that the Chiefs are going into this game even worse regarding injuries (that includes Mahomes) than they did last game.............with 3 less days than usual to recover.

So in another post I suggested the Chiefs should sit Mahomes a few weeks to allow his ankle to recover some.

I know when I've rolled my ankles, a couple of weeks going easy on it helps.

Would three or four weeks help Mahomes, or does he need some serious off time? It's not going to get better if he keeps rolling up on it is it?

So in another post I suggested the Chiefs should sit Mahomes a few weeks to allow his ankle to recover some.

I know when I've rolled my ankles, a couple of weeks going easy on it helps.

Would three or four weeks help Mahomes, or does he need some serious off time? It's not going to get better if he keeps rolling up on it is it?

Posted re. Mahomes at halftime:

I went back and slow-motioned the play where Mahomes' ankle was re-injured. His foot was INVERTED on that play instead of EVERTED and ROTATED (mechanism for high ankle sprain)...............therefore, now he has a significant fresh LOW ANKLE SPRAIN in addition to the re-injured high ankle sprain he came into this game with.............meaning, his ankle must now be experiencing significantly increased instability compare to before.

With ligaments damaged on both sides of his ankle, they can bandage his ankles all they want and he will still not be able to set his lead foot..............that will definitely require at least a month of rest to have even a possibility of not being a significant factor (mobility and accuracy) in his game.............and the remainder of the season will be a risk for re-injury. That ankle technically needs an offseason if it is going to go back to normal, if then.

I have a stupid question. I saw something in the Chiefs game I have not noticed in the other games this year.

What was the deal with the Chiefs hanging on to Hyde's jersey the way they did?

I know I saw at least 3 times when they had him by the bottom of his jersey. Once it looked like it stretched about 4 feet.

Is it something with the jersey itself (cut, tightness etc.) or was it just a fluke.

I have a stupid question. I saw something in the Chiefs game I have not noticed in the other games this year.

What was the deal with the Chiefs hanging on to Hyde's jersey the way they did?

I know I saw at least 3 times when they had him by the bottom of his jersey. Once it looked like it stretched about 4 feet.

Is it something with the jersey itself (cut, tightness etc.) or was it just a fluke.

First he never tucked his shirt and the shirt is like having long hair outside the helmet...........all is fair until the play is over. Most jersey shirt tails are quite long and are secured tightly within the player's pants. The material does stretch generously. The old NFL jerseys up to fairly recently were fabricated to stretch 2-way. In the interest of ultimate player comfort and free range of motion, the new NFL jerseys are lighter/thinner and 4-way stretch woven of polyester lycra spandex. I read somewhere that this material under only 10 pounds load has ~120% elongation on width, and ~130% on length.

I don't think its so much the Chiefs aren't a good team as it is that frankly teams have figured out the magic bullet to kill Reid's current game plan. .

I think it has more to do with all the injuries than anything else - particularly on the OL.

Just look at how this team has morphed since the OL got its act together - KC went the other way as their OL fell apart.

They are a very good team …. but need to get their pieces back up front.

Sure they are... say for instance Coutie thought he was the Z when he was really the Y... if he was the only one to read it wrong, bad **** happens

I'm not saying the WR's aren't making "Any" mistakes, sure the are making a few.

What I am saying is that .... they aren't making "That many" as in the number of times I've counted multiple pass catchers within 5 yards of each other outside the numbers.

Reactions: JB

Like I said , I'd be inclined to agree with you if it were fewer times and only one player but that hasn't been the case , its probably been 30-40 (more in the first 3 games) incidents and has included literally everyone in the receiver group (TE's too).

Reactions: Max
Chiefs answered that question. Even without their QB for half a game, the annihilated their division rival.

Wanted to throw this out there...apologies if it has been posted previously:

Chiefs Defensive Sacks per game highlighted:
DSacks.PNG

Notice the only two games this year where they did not record a sack. They are missing Chris Jones for sure, but four of the seven games are multi-sack games. Also, Jones only has two sacks total against Oakland and Detroit.

Trying to find reason to believe that the O-line has turned a corner. Perhaps it is confirmation bias...we will see this Sunday.

Attachments

• OSacks.PNG
    OSacks.PNG
    12.9 KB · Views: 4
Wanted to throw this out there...apologies if it has been posted previously:

Chiefs Defensive Sacks per game highlighted:
View attachment 4747

Notice the only two games this year where they did not record a sack. They are missing Chris Jones for sure, but four of the seven games are multi-sack games. Also, Jones only has two sacks total against Oakland and Detroit.

Trying to find reason to believe that the O-line has turned a corner. Perhaps it is confirmation bias...we will see this Sunday.

What makes those two games even more impressive is when you consider how long the Texans and Colts offensives were on the field and how many plays they did. Each one another chance for Chiefs to get a sack.

Mahomes was obviously not 100%.

our offense seems to be clicking. Will wait until we play a good defense before I truly start believing.

I love that we’re using our TEs more.

We have to stop starting games off in the hole. It seems like every time we play a good team we end up down a score or two right off the bat. That has to change.

What makes those two games even more impressive is when you consider how long the Texans and Colts offensives were on the field and how many plays they did. Each one another chance for Chiefs to get a sack.
Statistics can be a funny thing. The Texans came close to doubling the Chiefs in time of possession & total plays ran. Yet they only had 7 more pass attempts than the Chiefs. So the Chiefs only had 7 more opportunities to sack Watson than the Texans did to sack Mahomes.

Texans Total Plays: 83
Chiefs Total Plays: 47

Texans TOP: 39:48
Chiefs TOP: 20:12

Texans Pass Attempts: 42
Chiefs Pass Attempts: 35

Statistics can be a funny thing. The Texans came close to doubling the Chiefs in time of possession & total plays ran. Yet they only had 7 more pass attempts than the Chiefs. So the Chiefs only had 7 more opportunities to sack Watson than the Texans did to sack Mahomes.

Texans Total Plays: 83
Chiefs Total Plays: 47

Texans TOP: 39:48
Chiefs TOP: 20:12

Texans Pass Attempts: 42
Chiefs Pass Attempts: 35

The Texans were running the game clock down to 1 it seemed like from the start. They were pushing to the limit to keep Mahomes off the field.

First he never tucked his shirt and the shirt is like having long hair outside the helmet...........all is fair until the play is over. Most jersey shirt tails are quite long and are secured tightly within the player's pants. The material does stretch generously. The old NFL jerseys up to fairly recently were fabricated to stretch 2-way. In the interest of ultimate player comfort and free range of motion, the new NFL jerseys are lighter/thinner and 4-way stretch woven of polyester lycra spandex. I read somewhere that this material under only 10 pounds load has ~120% elongation on width, and ~130% on length.

Wow

CnD

So much useless knowledge.

I thought my head was filled with useless knowledge.

LOL, thanks for all of the info you put out there.

Chiefs answered that question. Even without their QB for half a game, the annihilated their division rival.

It also sort of starts to remind us how good the Chiefs were before they had Mahomes. Remember how Alex Smith came in and beat the O'Brien-led Texans? Yeah, I feel even better about what I have been saying for some time:

O'Brien with Mahomes would not be better than Andy Reid with Watson. Watson may actually be the only way O'Brien can beat Andy Reid.

I always thought the story of how Pastorini got the flak jacket was great.

You can read about it here.

"I was in the hospital with three broken ribs," Pastorini said. "This guy comes into my room with a friend of his carrying a baseball bat and a brown paper bag. I thought they came to pummel me to death.

"The guy pulls out a plate with some padding out of the bag and places it against his ribs. The other guy swings as hard as he could with the bat and hits him in the ribs three times. The guy didn't even blink. So I said, 'I want one of those.'

"So the guy said okay and came back three days later with the prototype. I wore it all week in practice and got comfortable with it. I ended up playing the rest of the season with it and also through the playoffs."

Back