Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Takeaways from the Chiefs game.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
Smh so this is why my post was removed
Just read this, I didn't report it or anything I just pointed out that the Watson and Hopkins interviews were talking about the post Chiefs game and the videos were posted in the Falcons thread. Wish the mods wouldn't just move or delete posts without warning because then it causes a lot of confusion and misunderstanding. If you have to do something with a post fine but at least give the person a heads up.

CPTTexan

Waterboy
I also think it gets noticed a lot more when they do mess up. I'm not defending them but lets say there are 100 calls in the game and 99 of them were the perfect call. Which call is going to get all the attention?
You're right....and everybody misses a call here and there. My problem is the egregious missed call that is challenged and you have a chance to correct the incorrect call on the field.....and you still don't correct it.

Let's be honest.....no one knew what a catch was for several years because the rule was so convoluted. Now, obvious PI that's not called on the field is still not called PI. There have been so many instances of actual PI that haven't been overturned, it's ridiculous. At this point the NFLRA is one big giant joke because they can't handle being criticized. It doesn't help that there is ZERO transparency when it comes to the refs being disciplined for said terrible calls.

Speez

Practice Squad
O-Line solid for the second straight week, time of possession advantage was outstanding, need to audition some kickers this week.

All in all? Plenty to be happy about.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
You're right....and everybody misses a call here and there. My problem is the egregious missed call that is challenged and you have a chance to correct the incorrect call on the field.....and you still don't correct it.

Let's be honest.....no one knew what a catch was for several years because the rule was so convoluted. Now, obvious PI that's not called on the field is still not called PI. There have been so many instances of actual PI that haven't been overturned, it's ridiculous. At this point the NFLRA is one big giant joke because they can't handle being criticized. It doesn't help that there is ZERO transparency when it comes to the refs being disciplined for said terrible calls.
#Rigged

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club

NFLRA?

:kitten: :D

When BoB coaches to win rather than play not to lose, the offense is so much better. The line developing into a positive was completely unexpected for me given how poorly they were to start the season. Very, very happy to be wrong on that. Hope it continues.

Deshaun is a winner. Keep him upright and the Texans got a chance in every game.

Rich Schmidt

Myopicone
I see the offense much better when BOB has a game plan in to score, versus when he thinks he can play conservative. I hope that is scrapped and we game plan aggressively no matter what. Can still be safe with running and short passes with deep shots. As long as he and DW4 learned from Carolina and don't revert, we will be in every game and favored in many. Losing Roby scares me, especially this week. He was our TY cover guy!

Agree we need to fix kicking, but Care Bear was money last year and good until we brought in Angerer. They need to sleep together this week until chemistry is all better

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
I see the offense much better when BOB has a game plan in to score, versus when he thinks he can play conservative. I hope that is scrapped and we game plan aggressively no matter what. Can still be safe with running and short passes with deep shots. As long as he and DW4 learned from Carolina and don't revert, we will be in every game and favored in many. Losing Roby scares me, especially this week. He was our TY cover guy!

Agree we need to fix kicking, but Care Bear was money last year and good until we brought in Angerer. They need to sleep together this week until chemistry is all better
Well if that image doesn’t help me with my diet I don’t know what will.

Fred

Veteran
Further proof the NFL is rigged.
Bury your head in the sand if you wish.

Vegas and TV controls the NFL.

#SAINTS
OK, if it is rigged, why do you care about the NFL or the Texans? Why do you evaluate draft picks and free agents and the quality of the OL and whether a QB is a good fit for a coach's system? If it is rigged none of that matters. If the fix is "in" for your team you can have Tom Savage at QB and Hue Jackson at coach and you will win the Super Bowl. If the fix is "out" for your team you can have the all time best at every position and you have no chance.

Why do you spend as much as a minute posting on a message board about a sport that is rigged?

Reactions: ROO

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
OK, if it is rigged, why do you care about the NFL or the Texans? Why do you evaluate draft picks and free agents and the quality of the OL and whether a QB is a good fit for a coach's system? If it is rigged none of that matters. If the fix is "in" for your team you can have Tom Savage at QB and Hue Jackson at coach and you will win the Super Bowl. If the fix is "out" for your team you can have the all time best at every position and you have no chance.

Why do you spend as much as a minute posting on a message board about a sport that is rigged?
To be fair, I use to post on WWE message boards.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Yeah I saw it, saw that Detroit’s WRs couldn’t catch a cold. Think they left about 20 points on the field till their defense just couldn’t save them any more.
LMAO

2 very bogus penalties with the umpire standing right there looking at it. Gave the Pack a TD and aFG . A highschool ref isn't that bad and I don't have a dog in the fight.

Mangler

Toro de España
Ok Tytus Im sure that sprained ankle hurt really bad, maybe the most pain you've ever felt, but cmon buddy. You had everyone worried, and today on Seth Payne he says you probably havent gotten your butt whipped weekly like this, so getting you conditioned to the violence will be important. The other week with the elbow you had to come out cuz it hurt too bad. Glad its not a big injury, but lets toughen up a bit yeah.
It was a partially torn MCL, not no ankle sprain. And, I'm sure that actually hurt like hell and there's absolutely no way anyone would or could've continued playing after an injury like that one.

Grams

Veteran
The holder needs to get the laces to the front. Don't know how he is holding on the point after as don't see that in replay, but the missed field goal, the laces were facing the kicker. Might be a little more accurate if he doesn't have to hit the laces on his kick. Think the miss last week also had the laces in the back.

Uncle Rico

Ur apology should be as loud as Ur disrespect was
It was a partially torn MCL, not no ankle sprain. And, I'm sure that actually hurt like hell and there's absolutely no way anyone would or could've continued playing after an injury like that one.
You're right .. I was going off the conversation they were having on the Payne and Pendergast show early in the morning prior to the news coming out. My mistake to make light of the situation.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
The holder needs to get the laces to the front. Don't know how he is holding on the point after as don't see that in replay, but the missed field goal, the laces were facing the kicker. Might be a little more accurate if he doesn't have to hit the laces on his kick. Think the miss last week also had the laces in the back.
I dont know about this, but McCarron needs to be the holder. He was the holder even as the starting QB at Alabama, so he must be pretty good at it.

CPTTexan

Waterboy

After watching last nights Detroit/GB game and the egregious missed calls that once again effectively cost a team a game, does anyone here believe that the referees are doing a good job?

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
After watching last nights Detroit/GB game and the egregious missed calls that once again effectively cost a team a game, does anyone here believe that the referees are doing a good job?
Don't think anyone said they are doing a good job. I said that if there are 100 plays and 99 are perfect the one that isn't will get all the attention. I think the game is getting to fast and the rules to complex for most refs these days. Not sure what you do about it but maybe less power in the hands of the guys on the field and more eyes in the sky would help? I don't know, we are talking about actions that take place within fractions of seconds and you have to make a call then and there. Its not an easy job by any means.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Don't think anyone said they are doing a good job. I said that if there are 100 plays and 99 are perfect the one that isn't will get all the attention. I think the game is getting to fast and the rules to complex for most refs these days. Not sure what you do about it but maybe less power in the hands of the guys on the field and more eyes in the sky would help? I don't know, we are talking about actions that take place within fractions of seconds and you have to make a call then and there. Its not an easy job by any means.
The missed (If you want to call it that) 2 hands to the face and 1 PI call on GB that was about a 50 yd pass. In addition to Bahktiari holding Flowers most of the night and I'm not even close to a Lions fan, but there was something very fishy going on last night. BTW Riveron is trying his best to have them do away with the PI replay calls. It's to the point where Patricia knew it would be pointless to challenge. But hey, that's the way God'ell and the owners want things to be run or they would change things. All hail the pt spreads.

BTW, only a fool would bet on a NFL game.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
The missed (If you want to call it that) 2 hands to the face and 1 PI call on GB that was about a 50 yd pass. In addition to Bahktiari holding Flowers most of the night and I'm not even close to a Lions fan, but there was something very fishy going on last night.
I get your point but my argument about the game being rigged is the same argument I have against most conspiracy theories. Why has no one come out with proof yet? Its not like the NFL is some govt. agency with spy satellites and can you imagine how much money could be made by any long time ref that wrote a book about the league telling him to help teams win. In particular since they lost their pension plan and were shifted over to standard 401ks.

dream_team

Hall of Fame
I get your point but my argument about the game being rigged is the same argument I have against most conspiracy theories. Why has no one come out with proof yet? Its not like the NFL is some govt. agency with spy satellites and can you imagine how much money could be made by any long time ref that wrote a book about the league telling him to help teams win. In particular since they lost their pension plan and were shifted over to standard 401ks.
NFL games aren't rigged, don't entertain that idea or bother debating on it. It's a ridiculous notion. Why risk a billion dollar industry to make a few more dollars by helping one team win over the other? That's nonsense.

The more realistic reasoning for bad penalties is that refs are human and gonna make mistakes. Every season, more and more rules are tacked onto the game, which makes it even more difficult to be a ref. On every play, how many responsibilities does one ref have? How many different things does he have to look for? Being an NFL ref is extremely difficult to be 100% accurate.

A better question is if you believe the NFL is rigged, then why even bother watching it? If the NFL is rigged, why bother making statements that this franchise will never win a SB unless ownership makes changes? (this obviously isn't directed at you)

paycheck71

Hall of Fame
I suffered a grade 3 MCL tear (completely torn) while skiing about 10 years ago. The pain wasn't bad, but it wouldn't surprise me if partial tears are more painful. No surgery needed. I wore a brace for 2-3 months and then was back as new. I suspect he'll be able to play with a brace in a few weeks, but that's just a guess based on my own experience. No medical training here.

Still think the Texans need to get a new kicker. It sucks that Baltimore is good, I'd trade whatever I had to to get Justin Tucker if they weren't. If the Texans are truly all in, they gotta make a move for a better kicker.

ROO

Tweak the offense already!
NFL games aren't rigged, don't entertain that idea or bother debating on it. It's a ridiculous notion. Why risk a billion dollar industry to make a few more dollars by helping one team win over the other? That's nonsense.

The more realistic reasoning for bad penalties is that refs are human and gonna make mistakes. Every season, more and more rules are tacked onto the game, which makes it even more difficult to be a ref. On every play, how many responsibilities does one ref have? How many different things does he have to look for? Being an NFL ref is extremely difficult to be 100% accurate.

A better question is if you believe the NFL is rigged, then why even bother watching it? If the NFL is rigged, why bother making statements that this franchise will never win a SB unless ownership makes changes? (this obviously isn't directed at you)
Agree 100%. It's even worse in the NBA, a foul could be called on every single possession for the most part. No way that a few HUMAN officials are going to be perfect - just like MLB umps.

Of course, for us fans, bitching about the officiating has always been a huge part of the major team sports.

And hopefully always will be. It is more palatable saying "we lost because of the refs" than "we lost because our team sucks."

dream_team

Hall of Fame
Re-watching the Watson pick at the end of the 2nd half on All-22. My observations & interpretations:
  • It looks like Watson audibles to this play. Hyde initially lined up in the backfield. Chiefs were showing cover 2 man. Watson tells Hyde to lineup stacked behind Nuk. I personally am not sure what Watson saw, I think they could have gotten the 1st rather easily with a handoff to Hyde. Texans had only one timeout left w/ 39 seconds left, so could have simply been a time issue.
  • The LB & CB blitzed, but OL picked it up rather nicely.
  • Could have dumped to Hyde on an out for easy first down & stop the clock.
  • My guess is Fuller ran the wrong route (he should have done a post). Coutee got behind his guy and was open. That's my guess who Watson was throwing to. Looks like would have been an accurate pass to Coutee too, but Fuller brought his CB to the play.
  • Maybe someone can enlighten me on this one, but I have no idea why a PI wasn't called on this play? #21 trips Fuller and makes him go to the ground.

I understand this play actually ended up helping the Texans, but it was a very curious play that I wanted to understand. Thoughts?

ROO

Tweak the offense already!
Re-watching the Watson pick at the end of the 2nd half on All-22. My observations & interpretations:
  • It looks like Watson audibles to this play. Hyde initially lined up in the backfield. Chiefs were showing cover 2 man. Watson tells Hyde to lineup stacked behind Nuk. I personally am not sure what Watson saw, I think they could have gotten the 1st rather easily with a handoff to Hyde. Texans had only one timeout left w/ 39 seconds left, so could have simply been a time issue.
  • My guess is Fuller ran the wrong route (he should have done a post). Coutee got behind his guy and was open. That's my guess who Watson was throwing to. Looks like would have been an accurate pass to Coutee too, but Fuller brought his CB to the play.
  • Maybe someone can enlighten me on this one, but I have no idea why a PI wasn't called on this play? #21 trips Fuller and makes him go to the ground.

I understand this play actually ended up helping the Texans, but it was a very curious play that I wanted to understand. Thoughts?
Thanks for pointing those things out and thanks for the analysis. I think you are correct.

Earl34

Hall of Fame

The question is why are two WRs so close to each other? My bet is Keke ran the wrong route. Whenever two WRs are in the same area, it always seems Keke is involved. Refs definitely missed the PI call.

dream_team

Hall of Fame
The question is why are two WRs so close to each other? My bet is Keke ran the wrong route. Whenever two WRs are in the same area, it always seems Keke is involved. Refs definitely missed the PI call.
My guess is Fuller ran the wrong route. Coutee was open, and where Watson threw the ball, is where Coutee would've ended up if it wasn't for Fuller. Fuller was also the one lined up in the slot, so him running a route breaking to the inside is more likely.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I don't know who ran the wrong route, but I'm sure someone did. I'm pretty sure that is not the way it was designed.

It didn't happen much Sunday. Before it happened several times a game. Which is what makes me believe Watson communicated something wrong, or someone didn't get the change.

I don't think we have a scheme issue. It looks more like a communication issue. Looks like it's getting better. There was a big jump towards the good Sunday.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
One thing I'd like to mention.

I was wrong.

I thought KC did a lot of things last year to help Mahomes & the OL. Moving the pocket for one. Pitching & tossing the ball to the RB, & RB screens. Well, their OL was hurting Sunday & other than a few RB screens (that worked really well) they didn't move the pocket very much to protect Mahomes.

Maybe his gimpy ankle was the reason for it. But with the state their OL is in I'd have thought they'd have tried.

& one more thing. I watched the first half again last night & Charles Omenehu was going off. Can't wait to see him in year two.

Texansballer74

The Marine

I was wrong.

I thought KC did a lot of things last year to help Mahomes & the OL. Moving the pocket for one. Pitching & tossing the ball to the RB, & RB screens. Well, their OL was hurting Sunday & other than a few RB screens (that worked really well) they didn't move the pocket very much to protect Mahomes.

Maybe his gimpy ankle was the reason for it. But with the state their OL is in I'd have thought they'd have tried.

& one more thing. I watched the first half again last night & Charles Omenehu was going off. Can't wait to see him in year two.

Last season they did move the pocket a lot for Mahomes. Utilized a lot of plays behind the line of scrimmage in which their play makers turned into big plays. They dink and donk a lot.

This season they're going vertical a lot. But are using a lot of rub routes and crossing patterns.

So in theory you weren't wrong at all. We just caught them at the right time and Bill O'Brien coached a masterful offensive game plan. Especially in the second half. Owned the time of possession.

Last edited:

frethack

Rookie

I was wrong.

Im a UT homer of the worst kind. I thought Omenehu was a great pick, but had doubt because I viewed him through my burnt orange glasses. Glad to see it wasnt just my bias.

austins23

Hall of Fame
BTW Riveron is trying his best to have them do away with the PI replay calls
Clete Blakeman - "The call of pass interference is being reviewed"
Al Riveron - "Hey Clete, how's the wife and kids?"
Blakeman - "Fine thanks for asking. We are gonna grab some beers after the game, you wanna join."
Riveron - "Sure, meet you there."
Blakeman - "Dude, O'Brien is pissed off about the call."
Riveron - "I bet. Play stands as called"
Blakeman - "Cool, order me a Guiness if you get there before me."

The refs are sticking it to the NFL this year with this PI challenge crap.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I can't wait to see what happens tonight. Every year is different & every team is different every year. Last year's Chiefs were a contender. This year, I don't know.

What I do know is O'Brien has a poor record against good teams.

What I do know is good teams don't lose three in a row.

So I believe if the Chiefs lose tonight our win against them does not mean as much as I think it means right now.

Still a good win, but not beating a good team win.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
I can't wait to see what happens tonight. Every year is different & every team is different every year. Last year's Chiefs were a contender. This year, I don't know.

What I do know is O'Brien has a poor record against good teams.

What I do know is good teams don't lose three in a row.

So I believe if the Chiefs lose tonight our win against them does not mean as much as I think it means right now.

Still a good win, but not beating a good team win.
I don't think its so much the Chiefs aren't a good team as it is that frankly teams have figured out the magic bullet to kill Reid's current game plan. I actually kind of expect Denver to win tonight because they have a pretty good run game and right now that is the weakness of the Chiefs. Here is the problem, even when Mahomes does get on the field they are not controlling the clock because Reid will not create a run game or a passing game that isn't something from a highlight reel. So Mahomes goes out there, makes like three 20+ yard passes, they score, he's back on the bench for another 8 minute drive that results in a touchdown at the end. If they could extend the drives out with a run game or shorter passes so the defense isn't so gassed then they would look more like they did last year.

Wow reading over that its almost like you could have applied that to us for like the last 5 years, you know, minus the "they score" part.