Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Superbowl in houston has succeeded

Went to the SB for the fun this year and had a great time, but, I would not go back unless our boys were playing there. Their big mistake was mixing it up with Madi Grai. (my spelling sucks) Every restaurant, cafe, venue, hotel, was PACKED, and long waits for cabs, buses, and trollys, plus, parking could cost you up to $50/day depending on where you wanted to park. Traffic was horrendous! The French Quarter smelled like raw sewage, esp along Bourbon Street. WAY to many people in a small area, and the weirdo's were out by the dozens!!

I went to both SBs that were here in Houston, and honestly, I preferred the first one, back in 1974, I think it was! Charlie Pride sang the National Anthum and i believe college bands played during the halftime.. Not sure about that, I'd have to look it up. BUT, never the less, it was affordable for common old football lovin folks like us. It was all about the GAME, not a bunch of rich people trying to outdo each other, or Hollywood idiots trying to make a name for themselves, or big, huge, expensive parties that only the rich can afford to go to. Nope, just a good old fashioned football game between the Fins and the Vikes! I'll never forget it!

OK, I did a little research! The game was in 1973 and the Longhorn Band played at halftime, along with Miss Texas who played the fiddle. Got a good laugh out of that one!! Can you imagine a halftime like that in this day and age?? Geeezz, I miss the good old days!! lol

Last edited:
Went to the SB for the fun this year and had a great time, but, I would not go back unless our boys were playing there. Their big mistake was mixing it up with Madi Grai. (my spelling sucks) Every restaurant, cafe, venue, hotel, was PACKED, and long waits for cabs, buses, and trollys, plus, parking could cost you up to $50/day depending on where you wanted to park. Traffic was horrendous! The French Quarter smelled like raw sewage, esp along Bourbon Street. WAY to many people in a small area, and the weirdo's were out by the dozens!!

I went to both SBs that were here in Houston, and honestly, I preferred the first one, back in 1974, I think it was! Charlie Pride sang the National Anthum and i believe college bands played during the halftime.. Not sure about that, I'd have to look it up. BUT, never the less, it was affordable for common old football lovin folks like us. It was all about the GAME, not a bunch of rich people trying to outdo each other, or Hollywood idiots trying to make a name for themselves, or big, huge, expensive parties that only the rich can afford to go to. Nope, just a good old fashioned football game between the Fins and the Vikes! I'll never forget it!

OK, I did a little research! The game was in 1973 and the Longhorn Band played at halftime, along with Miss Texas who played the fiddle. Got a good laugh out of that one!! Can you imagine a halftime like that in this day and age?? Geeezz, I miss the good old days!! lol

I went to new orleans this weekend and there was a cheerleading event and rock n roll marathon series and while Im sure it wasnt as crowded as a super bowl it was still back parking was 40+ per day and at times you do get that lovely sewage smell. I think thats all just New Orleans

Okay, the way this was supposed to work was that Miami and San Fran were competing for Super Bowl L, and the loser of that competition would compete with Houston for Superbowl LI.

So does this mean if the stadium bill dies, in addition to San Fran getting L by default, Houston would get LI by default also?
At a time when many believe that the fate of the renovations to Sun Life Stadium will hinge on an upcoming public vote, the public vote may not happen, after all.

The bill that needs to become a law to permit the use of hotel tax money is in limbo as the Florida Legislature enters the final day of its 2013 regular season.

Which means that Super Bowl L necessarily would be awarded to San Francisco at the next ownership meeting on May 21, since the NFL won’t award another Super Bowl to Miami absent the upgrades that the pending plan would provide.

LINK

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/dolphins-future-miami-uncertain-014025434--nfl.html

Dee had said last month owner Stephen Ross would not renovate the stadium without a public-private partnership. Ross reiterated that there will be no renovation in an interview with CBS4 in Miami, saying it would be "difficult" to do the renovations on a more limited basis.
Regarding the team's future in Miami, Dee said, "I wouldn't want to prognosticate what the future holds, but it's clearly bleak."
Although Dee said Ross won't move the team, Dee said the next owner could move the team, possibly to Los Angeles. Ross has said he won't sell the team in his lifetime, but Dee didn't rule out a sale during Ross's lifetime.

I don't know about any of y'all, but I would be personally upset if Miami moved to LA. I hate to see any team move, but Miami has history and tradition there. I can justify other teams, but not the Dolphins.

While I agree. However if there was a time to ask for help with renovations, this probably is the worst time to do it. The dolphins can thank Jefferry Loria on that. I wouldn't give him one dime of my money.

I don't know about any of y'all, but I would be personally upset if Miami moved to LA. I hate to see any team move, but Miami has history and tradition there. I can justify other teams, but not the Dolphins.
Wouldn't bother me a bit. For comparison, I'm still a fan of the Houston Oilers, or guess I should say the history and fond memories of the Oilers when they existed and were in Houston. The NFL team located in Nashville is called the Titans and may have formerly been known as the Oilers, but that was then and this is now. I still have my memories and the Oilers still have their history.

I don't want to see any team move to LA. Their history and inability to keep a franchise should keep them out of the running for another team indefinitely.

Of course due to money they will always get their shot.

From the article:

Dee had said last month owner Stephen Ross would not renovate the stadium without a public-private partnership. Ross reiterated that there will be no renovation in an interview with CBS4 in Miami, saying it would be "difficult" to do the renovations on a more limited basis.
Regarding the team's future in Miami, Dee said, "I wouldn't want to prognosticate what the future holds, but it's clearly bleak."

LA is not going to put public money toward a stadium either, so I really don't see such a move happening. I think the NFL keeps throwing LA out there in every one of these situations as some sort of a threat, but the truth is LA has proven they can't get the support necessary to build an NFL stadium. Not enough people out there care enough. The NFL hates that, because it's a huge market, but there's not much they can do about it.

If a team moves, it'll be just like the Colts or Oilers. They'll move to a somewhat smaller city that's trying to move up in the world and thinks that an NFL team is a step in that direction. And if the NFL continues trying to strongarm cities into essentially lining private owners' pockets with public dollars, they'll keep moving teams.

Me too. The Dolphins have a lot of fans here, even in central Florida. They are pretty much the "Cowboys" of this state (minus the obnoxious fans).

If they really try to move that would be a tragedy. Many fans are already up in arms about the logo and uniform change.

I have grown ambivalent about what teams move where anymore.

If the NFL, its owners, and franchises could not care less about all the "history" and "tradition" that we are supposed to celebrate, why should I care?

The Oilers ceased to exist and life went on. It's the same for every freakin' franchise in the NFL.

And the bottom line reality is that the NFL and it's owners care more about the profits than they do whatever history in a given city. Business is business (understandable), so let's not get confused about this basic fact of life.

Profit > tradition

The South Florida Super Bowl Bid Committee unveiled the details of its final bid for Super Bowl 50 and 51 at a press conference Thursday.

Under the plan, the team would create a Super Bowl Park in downtown Miami that would condense all activities related to the game in one area.

The boldest part of the plan includes parking a U.S. Navy aircraft carrier near downtown Miami where a football game would be played on the deck.

Link

OK what the flying squirrel is the U.S. Navy doing involved in helping out Super Bowl bids?

That is just an update here really. I am going to put a thread in the NSZ for any political discussion. Please take it over there.

people from out of town seemed to hate the sb here. I know several bar owners that eventually had to shut down and move their bars and lounges out of downtown due to the new crowds that started filling downtown after the sb came here and exposed bad crowds to the great night life that downtown had at the time.

I could also do without another incident like they had at the galleria where it had to be shut down which would probably be worse if the sb came here. Hopefully Miami or Arizona gets it next again or let Dallas deal with the circus of it

Change the topic title, please. :D

John McClain ‏@McClain_on_NFL 4m
Houston wins bid for 2017 Super Bowl.

38045554.jpg

Actually the Houston SB got excellent reviews.

Yep, most loved it here. If it weren't for teams building new stadiums every dadgum year we might've gotten another one sooner.

An outdoor New York SB though? Seems like the East Coast bias got them on that one, imo.

Yep, most loved it here. If it weren't for teams building new stadiums every dadgum year we might've gotten another one sooner.

An outdoor New York SB though? Seems like the East Coast bias got them on that one, imo.

Rich Eisen was co-hosting the announcement show on NFLN, and he noted that Super Bowl XXXVIII in Houston was the first one the network covered, so lots of those folks have vivid memories. His exact description of Houston's performance as host was "They crushed it".

We were close but Miami threw in a 100+ ft yacht for each owner at the last minute.

Rich Eisen was co-hosting the announcement show on NFLN, and he noted that Super Bowl XXXVIII in Houston was the first one the network covered, so lots of those folks have vivid memories. His exact description of Houston's performance as host was "They crushed it".

I believe it was Peter King who started off with a condescending tone of having no expectation but finding the dining to be the best in his SB experience and overall a great SB.

Houston's reputation is much better than it was when we got 38. Forbes has us as America's coolest city, the NYT did a huge write up on the city recently. I don't think we will see many of the "big city writer assigned to the sticks" type stories.

Houston's reputation is much better than it was when we got 38. Forbes has us as America's coolest city, the NYT did a huge write up on the city recently. I don't think we will see many of the "big city writer assigned to the sticks" type stories.
The "big knock" continues to be the distance of Reliant from enough hotels, restaurants, etc. and our lack of viable mass transit.

I've spent enought time in D.C., NYC, London, etc. to appreciate the point-of-view.

The "big knock" continues to be the distance of Reliant from enough hotels, restaurants, etc. and our lack of viable mass transit.

I've spent enought time in D.C., NYC, London, etc. to appreciate the point-of-view.

So does anyone think we'll have the Astrodome exploded into a million pieces or at least turned into something other what it is by the time this next SB rolls around?

I don't disagree but usually that's not really a factor for the Super Bowl. Miami, Atlanta, LA, the Bay Area, Tampa, Dallas, and Phoenix aren't known for their compact geography either.

So does anyone think we'll have the Astrodome exploded into a million pieces or at least turned into something other what it is by the time this next SB rolls around?

I really hope they do something with the Dome and former Astroworld. Prime land that's just going to waste. And it's an eyesore.

Ka-ching. A new hotel should be open by then offering a thousand more rooms IIRC.

And the hookers sang ta da ta da.

Where will teams stay? I hope it's in nice areas like galleria or midtown. I think the city will put together a great setting for the super bowl. I wasn't here for the last one so I'm looking forward to seeing this one in my city.

Yup!

The last SB in Houston was very well done and I had the week off work and treated it like adult spring break. Good time. But everyone from Bill Simmons to mom and pop media outlets couldn't stand the set up because they were put up in hotels out West on 59 or I10 and then had to make their way to George R for media sessions. That was the bad rap. Considering that the SB is a time for the NFL to glad hand with celebs and the like its tough when Diddys party is 30 minutes away out off 10 and someone else has the Maxxim event 20 miles back. I couldn't give a rats tail but I'm just stating the issue. I'm sure in 4 years it will be worked out to some extent but proximity to events is the one negative. Congrats

I highly recommend the NFL Experience when the SB comes back to Houston. I took my youngest son to it on the day of the game and he had a blast. I will take him to the next one, as well.

Say what you will about our bid, and when you knew we would get it, but when I saw Norg post saying the city wasn't doing anything to get a SB, I knew we were going to get one.

:kitten:

With the new convention hotel thats going up on other side of george r brown, apparently both teams will stay downtown along with media. We will also have Discovery green this time, and EaDo will be blowuping up here shortly with new rail and Dynamo stadium.

Nice nice now we just have to do something with the astrodome it better not be there by the time we host the SB

Congrats to Houston. This SB should be better than the 1st one. Hopefully, a better selection of music at half time? Nipples and all! LOL

Great deal for Houston - congrats to the city & the Texans.
On the other hand, certainly I'd rather spend 4 or 5 days in South FLA & the
FLA Keys in Jan-Feb instead of H-Town, and you would to.

Back