Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Stop blaming O'Brien and start blaming the ownership and management

76Texan

Hall of Fame
I agree with you somewhat on BOB, but DW4 shares his part in this too. So no it's not the main reason, it should be equally shared. BTW, how did the Texans go from being a decent offense to a crappy offense in the last month of the season? Could it be that they were playing better defenses that had DW4 confused, or did BOB become an idiot over the last 6 games of the season? I choose to think BOB was calling plays to protect DW4 from becoming a turnover machine. Or atleast I hope that's the case.
Yes, the Texans did play against better defenses in the second half/
BOB has never been an idiot; just not good at scheming and designing an offense.

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
I'm not disagreeing that OB needs to go, but in your hate you are fixated on what none of us can change. What's you point? Is anyone arguing to keep OB? What other positions did he ruin in 2019?
Edge and secondary

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Would your friend like to buy mine for the next year? If so shoot me a PM.

This^^ - beat the Broncos at home this season and you've got a 2 or 3 seed. I don't recall exactly what the scenario was at the time. My point is that was a BIG game and the entire team came out and laid a big fat turd of a game on us. It almost felt like they weren't aware of the importance of that game. Years back, it was the 1-3 finish down the stretch cost them a 1 or 2 seed I think. Losing to the craptastic Vikings (that year anyway) at home was awful.

No, suck he does not.

Didn't he draft Scharping and Howard? He's building it. Too bad Howard was injured.
Ok he drafted Howard and scharping. And? Anyone can draft whatever OL is on the board. That definitely was not a best player available decision.

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Neither Brandon Brooks or Ben Jones are LTs.
Didn't say they were. They are just examples of OL signed as free agents.

It shouldn't take multiple firsts to fix the tackle position. The rest of the roster will suffer as a result. There's a fixed amount of capital to spend, you can't overspend everywhere

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
Kubiak 2-2 playoffs - fired
OB 2-4 playoffs - more power

Where are the excuses?
You claimed that OB inherited a very good team.

They were 2-14 the year before and had totally collapsed the season prior to finish the season even when they had a winning record. Kubiak got his wins against those weak ass Bengals teams that the Texans always matched up well against. The only success he had here was when Wade's defense went nuts. OB had a gimme against the Raiders as well when Carr was hurt so his wins aren't that great in the playoffs either. Both weren't impressive at all in the playoffs so I'm not sure why you'd try to paint it differently for Kubiak as if Bob's failures somehow change his.

Sad part is the Texans can shove it with their "afc south champions banners". Yes it is nice but as a fsn it sucks to be be embarrassed when it comes to to the playoffs. I might be bitter but watching the other teams show that put us in another division. We would have been home a long while ago. Besides that we havent improved except still "south champions"
If we hadn't totally imploded after taking that 24-0 lead and the game was close right to the end and we lost, I would not be so upset but we totally flew the coup and it is that kind of weak mentality that the team has shown against above average opponents that has me upset.

That and the stubborn attitude of BO'b who's ego supersedes any common sense or important management of the team during games.

That said, I agree that the real enemy is the ownership not looking at the whole picture. I will unfortunately tune in next season but as soon as the team gets stomped on by the likes of the Chiefs, Ravens, Saints and 49ers I will tune them out knowing that the outcome in the playoffs will be much the same.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
My main point was that the Texans under O'Brien had spent a whole lot of resources on the offensive line; all for mediocre results.
Yes, they had to do it to protect Watson; I get that.
But that was partially also because O'Brien and Devlin's scheme isn't much good.
I agree BO'b doesn't have a feel for the game & hence doesn't understand how to call plays.

But as for the mediocre improvement on the OL... a big contributing factor was that we didn't settle on a starting lineup until 6 or 7 games into the season.

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.
Yes, the Texans did play against better defenses in the second half/
BOB has never been an idiot; just not good at scheming and designing an offense.
We had a young line with a new addition in tunsil. It seems they were all behind the curve from the get go. Part of that is devlin's fault. I've seen enough of him and he HAS TO GO. I'm more eager to see him go then Romeo honestly.

They miss simple stunts by the defensive line solid college ol's pick up. It didnt help that there's little continuity there. We mixed and matched personnel the first 6 weeks of the year.

Scheme wise OB is just as culpable. Route designs are all downfield. And they all seem to cut at the same time. Wtf? Evidently we don't do hot routes either. I'd love to see someone post a clip of it. Maybe I blinked?

Top it off with keeping a mobile qb in a collapsing pocket by design. Why wouldn't you let a qb use his greatest asset?

Lots here to be fixed. I've seen enough of OB to know he wont do it.

texanhead08

All Pro
I agree with you somewhat on BOB, but DW4 shares his part in this too. So no it's not the main reason, it should be equally shared. BTW, how did the Texans go from being a decent offense to a crappy offense in the last month of the season? Could it be that they were playing better defenses that had DW4 confused, or did BOB become an idiot over the last 6 games of the season? I choose to think BOB was calling plays to protect DW4 from becoming a turnover machine. Or atleast I hope that's the case.

It happened last year too this is a trend.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Of course he thinks this. The Texans are no competition to overtake the Cowboys in popularity in Texas or the US.
You're probably right. Everyone takes for granted that besides Jones, Garrett was holding the Cowboys back for so long. However, when a HC change occurs, for many reasons, the results do not always produce what is anticipated...........sometimes, things can go further south.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
You're probably right. Everyone takes for granted that besides Jones, Garrett was holding the Cowboys back for so long. However, when a HC change occurs, for many reasons, the results do not always produce what is anticipated...........sometimes, things can go further south.
New coach's personality plays a huge part... one reason OB really stuggles

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
Of course he thinks this. The Texans are no competition to overtake the Cowboys in popularity in Texas or the US.
Very true but the same could be said for pretty much any other team besides maybe the Packers, Steelers, Raiders and Pats. The first 3 because of so much history and the last because people love a winner as much as they hate one. What I find hilarious is that Jones is now struggling to figure out how to pay all these players and still stay under the cap when he was the one that led the charge to put the cap in place. Of course I find any Cowboy pain to be funny.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
New coach's personality plays a huge part... one reason OB really stuggles
Personality?

There's a lot wrong with BOB but the players play hard for him and they wouldn't if they didn't like his personality. IMHO

DanielTx

Veteran
Personality?

There's a lot wrong with BOB but the players play hard for him and they wouldn't if they didn't like his personality. IMHO
They haven’t played hard enough to reach a conference championship. Don’t get me wrong. O’Brien is a good coach. He has the experience & has been coaching for a while now. The only problem is there’s no future with him here. He’s another Marvin Lewis. The team will play hard for him but he just isn’t the guy come playoff time. Makes to many mistakes in crucial moments (fake punt). In all honesty, I’m interested to see how much our defense will improve this off season. The Texans super bowl window will always be open with Watson but you can’t expect him to carry a bottom 5 defense to the super bowl. The fact he carries them to the playoffs speaks volumes of how good he will be once they’re defense is a top15 unit . Funny thing is players realize this and know, this is a easy Super Bowl destination. Get some mean defensive players like the bears and watch this team takeover the era. It wouldn’t matter if Ob was coaching or not. Just give your qb a chance and draft dbs that don’t give to much cushion on gamewinning drives like the saints game. Seriously

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Personality?

I wasn't talking about just the HC. The players talk about how much they like OB, but very rarely are any of the assistants are ever mentioned. How many OL really like playing for Devlin for instance? Or CB's the secondary coach? I think some struggles are because of how the players get along with their position coach. The personality of the entire staff was what I was talking about

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
I missed when Brian Gaine was fired and found out a couple months later. What was big problem with him? He is with the Bills now so he appears to be a solid guy. Just curious, another Ownership blunder?
Gaine did exactly what he said he said he would do and didn't throw a Brinks truck at every FA that came along.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Be nice if we could weed out the Eagles, Steelers, & Patriot fans at NRG when their team comes to play.

Heck, rumor was their was 10,000 Bills fans at NRG for our Wild Card matchup.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
So you stay status quo for fear it might get worse?

zshawn10

All Pro
Cal McNair: 'I am proud that we provided our fans with many thrilling victories at home, including a playoff win, and we delivered another double-digit win season'
— Aaron Wilson (@AaronWilson_NFL) January 28, 2020
More on the #Texans: The promotion of Bill O’Brien to GM further solidifies that Nick Caserio won’t be in Houston… Plus, Romeo Crennel stays on staff in a key role on defense, source says.
— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) January 28, 2020

Texazan

Our HOF 34
Cal McNair on O'Brien being named GM and Easterby EVP of football operations: "This is the way we've been operating for the last 8 months. They led us to a 10-win season, another division title and into the divisional round. Our goal is to win AFC South championships."
— John McClain (@McClain_on_NFL) January 28, 2020

Oops, Cal left out a little something.....I noticed he didnt say "Super Bowls" so I fixed it for him.