Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

SteelB, I have a question about a scenerio for you

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Somebody need to talk to the Rams and Saints. Somehow the Rams with their top heavy team seem to be able to sign high end players.
You can only keep the guys on top position contracts for so long. Usually 7-8 yrs before the QB's contract starts to get in the way of winning. Not that they aren't trying to replace Hill with Moore.

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
It went up.

With Brady winning a SB.

Hardly a trend. It took the GOAT to break the trend, but my point stands.
It took the Goat to surpress the qb market because his wife is worth 500m. The hardest thing to do is find a franchise qb. Once you do that, its up to your pro-personel and college scouting. Where would NE be without plucking the failed Vrabel from Pittsburgh? Most of the 01 Patriots team were holdovers from the 96 team that lost to GB.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
It took the Goat to surpress the qb market because his wife is worth 500m. The hardest thing to do is find a franchise qb. Once you do that, its up to your pro-personel and college scouting. Where would NE be without plucking the failed Vrabel from Pittsburgh? Most of the 01 Patriots team were holdovers from the 96 team that lost to GB.
More rationalizing, you can point to many teams that pick up guys that help them win a SB. Happened with Miller this yr. What you wont find is a team whose QB takes up more than 15% of the cap. When Brady was dating Bridgette Moynahan was she making 500 mil a yr?

mws

Rookie
From what I see Brady's salary in 2020 when he won the SB was under the 13.2% mark. You can check it out here under history.

Brady 2020 Salary: $25,000,000 - 12.2%

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
From what I see Brady's salary in 2020 when he won the SB was under the 13.2% mark. You can check it out here under history.

Brady 2020 Salary: $25,000,000 - 12.2%
Corrosion told me he got a big bonus for winning a SB that put him up at 15%. I kinda like performance based clauses in contracts. If you win you get paid.

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
More rationalizing, you can point to many teams that pick up guys that help them win a SB. Happened with Miller this yr. What you wont find is a team whose QB takes up more than 15% of the cap. When Brady was dating Bridgette Moynahan was she making 500 mil a yr?
He won those early super bowls and as part of the train. If you've listened to Mangini speak about those early years of Brady, nobody really knew. They won it and then missed the playoffs the very next year. If you look at that span when he did't win superbowls, he was the highest paid qb in the league. I don't know what % of the cap he was taking up, I just know he was the highest paid qb in the nfl. Of course after marrying an international supermodel who networth was double his, he had no need or reason to take top dollar which supressed the qb market value. Its just interesting how this imaginary % automatically dooms the teams except the fact teams make it to the final 4 and final 2, but lose the game.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
He won those early super bowls and as part of the train. If you've listened to Mangini speak about those early years of Brady, nobody really knew. They won it and then missed the playoffs the very next year. If you look at that span when he did't win superbowls, he was the highest paid qb in the league. I don't know what % of the cap he was taking up, I just know he was the highest paid qb in the nfl. Of course after marrying an international supermodel who networth was double his, he had no need or reason to take top dollar which supressed the qb market value. Its just interesting how this imaginary % automatically dooms the teams except the fact teams make it to the final 4 and final 2, but lose the game.
History says there's nothing imaginary about it.

Texian

Hall of Fame
SteelB is also on record, saying the salary cap is not important, the salary cap is irrelevant. He has also commented that in a few years the salary cap will grow so substantially that the salary cap will not matter.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
Thats fair. Me personally, when the stats says this specific %, yet the qb can be the highest paid at his position. In regards to Rodgers, he's been in the conference championship game like 5 times. If you're team is good enough to be one of 4 left out of 32, you have a superbowl quality team. My issue with Green Bay is their boardroom approach never has a sense of urgency. They've never had 2 wr's popping at the same time. The last couple of years, it was downright criminal to only score 10 pts and they still should've won the game. Those are things that had nothing to do with the qb taking 13.9% of the cap, in my opinion.

Did you ever stop to think that maybe the reason "they've never had 2 WR's popping at the same time" is that there just wasn't money available to make that a reality and that paying Rodgers is a huge part of that?
Hell it could be argued that Adams is no longer a Packer because they couldn't afford both ....
This coming season Adams has a cap hit of ~$8.1m but the following season his cap hit jumps to more than $30.5m. the same time Carr's cap hit will be $34.875m - a combined $65.375 cap hit Vs this years combined cap hit of just under $20.7m. In 2025 their combined cap hit becomes $83.265m.
22 - 27,523,095
23 - 65,395,000
24 - 65,215,000
25 - 83,265,000
Either the Raiders find players at other positions who outperform their contracts by a mile or they aren't likely to get over the proverbial hump when they are paying such large cap percentages to player X.

Their best chance at winning it all is this year when their combined cap hit is the smallest by percentage and they have the most money available to spend on other positions, putting the best overall team on the field around Adams & Carr ..... including that 2nd WR spot that needs popping off.

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
Did you ever stop to think that maybe the reason "they've never had 2 WR's popping at the same time" is that there just wasn't money available to make that a reality and that paying Rodgers is a huge part of that?
Hell it could be argued that Adams is no longer a Packer because they couldn't afford both ....
This coming season Adams has a cap hit of ~$8.1m but the following season his cap hit jumps to more than $30.5m. the same time Carr's cap hit will be $34.875m - a combined $65.375 cap hit Vs this years combined cap hit of just under $20.7m. In 2025 their combined cap hit becomes $83.265m.
22 - 27,523,095
23 - 65,395,000
24 - 65,215,000
25 - 83,265,000
Either the Raiders find players at other positions who outperform their contracts by a mile or they aren't likely to get over the proverbial hump when they are paying such large cap percentages to player X.

Their best chance at winning it all is this year when their combined cap hit is the smallest by percentage and they have the most money available to spend on other positions, putting the best overall team on the field around Adams & Carr ..... including that 2nd WR spot that needs popping off.
They've never been all in is the reason they've never had 2 wrs popping at the same time. There isn't any pressure to win on the executive board of that team since they don't have an owner. Theyve also never doubled down and drafted wr's high in back to back drafts. They have lived off Favre and Rodgers being king makers of that position. They've had 3 1st rd picks at wrs in 30 yrs.

Earl34

Hall of Fame
They've never been all in is the reason they've never had 2 wrs popping at the same time. There isn't any pressure to win on the executive board of that team since they don't have an owner. Theyve also never doubled down and drafted wr's high in back to back drafts. They have lived off Favre and Rodgers being king makers of that position. They've had 3 1st rd picks at wrs in 30 yrs.
Isn't this draft strategy one of the major issues between Rodgers and the Packers?

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
Isn't this draft strategy one of the major issues between Rodgers and the Packers?
Yep,pretty much. Think about it. When was the last time they've had 2 1k wrs which is pretty common these days? 2 of the top 3 wr in targets signed basically 1 year deals. I mean, they passed on Tee Higgins who is better than anyone they had opposite of Adams for Jordan Love. I have no problem with the Jordan Love selection except you move up to get him and you weren't ready to get rid of Rodgers. Even when guys were cut like OBJ and Brown they couldn't get them. Rodgers didn't have weapons because of his percentage of the cap, he didn't have weapons because they didn't draft well.

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
You totally missed the point.
There is no point missed. No matter how much anyone makes, if you don't draft well, your team will suffer. The only reason the won as much as they did was because of Rodgers and his ability. They've had issues scoring in the playoffs because their next receiving targets have been Valdes Scantling and Lazzard. Basically 1 target like with the Texans because of poor drafting. Meanwhile, Tampa has their top 2 which both had over 1k,then they add Antonio Brown and Gronk. Rams had Kupp and the dude they just traded who got hurt. They drafted Van Jefferson in the 2nd rd who has been better than anyone opposite of Adams, signed OBJ. They just signed Allen Robinson, gave Kupp,Stafford,and Donald mega deals.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
There is no point missed. No matter how much anyone makes, if you don't draft well, your team will suffer. The only reason the won as much as they did was because of Rodgers and his ability. They've had issues scoring in the playoffs because their next receiving targets have been Valdes Scantling and Lazzard. Basically 1 target like with the Texans because of poor drafting. Meanwhile, Tampa has their top 2 which both had over 1k,then they add Antonio Brown and Gronk. Rams had Kupp and the dude they just traded who got hurt. They drafted Van Jefferson in the 2nd rd who has been better than anyone opposite of Adams, signed OBJ. They just signed Allen Robinson, gave Kupp,Stafford,and Donald mega deals.
Great post.

You missed the point, if a QB takes up more than 15% of the cap nobody has won a SB. That's why Rodgers didn't have the other WR you're talking about. What really interests me is how is Rodgers going to do with Adams gone. Why is Adams gone? Because Rodgers is taking up to much of the cap. This is really different because the Packers are publicly owned.

Drafting well goes without saying. It's the life blood of an org. Although I like how the Rams do business.