Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

State of the O-line

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
I put the poor protection call on Martin, the early snap on Watson and the poor design on Devlin/OB
The snap isn't early .... its not Fells in motion , its a Cobb - he's probably suppose to chip that outside rusher but runs right past him.

Fells ... He's probably lined up a bit wide and can't get to that outside guy either.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
On this OL.....Martin has been the weak link since his signing.

There's enough film on Martin that I hope the Texans wouldn't be foolish enough to pick up the phone and try to initiate a trade......the laughter from the other side of the phone would probably be as dehumanizing as the laughter Waterboy got when Insano found out he was 34 years old.

Texans must cut Martin....but a smart team might just try Fulton at Center for the next 2 games to better gauge the talent of this OL before seasons end. If Fulton exceeds expectations let him play games 14 thru 16. Center answer may be found on the cheap but I'm still drafting Dickerson (Alabama) if he's on the board in RD3. If Faalele (Minnesota) is on the board late in RD4 or RD5.....he's my pick to probably be set at RT while pushing Howard in to RG. Johnson and Heck could fill the depth chart as OT's. Qvale, Fulton and Mancz could provide veteran lineman for the interior.

Last edited:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Aren’t there some Rick Smith arguments currently going on? Time has no effect on anything here.
I can see why you would post this, since I think DW4's contract is going to be an anvil for the level of his play. Rick Smith brought DW4 here so yes, Rick Smith is still a relevant topic around these parts.

I said it would take 3 yrs for BOB to rebuild from the incompetence that was the RS regime. How was I to know BOB would be even more incompetent by handing out even worse contracts to avg players than RS did. That doesn't even focus on the Hopkins fiasco that Janice ordered him to do and he screwed that up too.

badboy

Hall of Fame
On this OL.....Martin has been the weak link since his signing.

There's enough film on Martin that I hope the Texans wouldn't be foolish enough to pick up the phone and try to initiate a trade......the laughter from the other side of the phone would probably be as dehumanizing as the laughter Waterboy got when Insano found out he was 34 years old.

Texans must cut Martin....but a smart team might just try Fulton at Center for the next 2 games to better gauge the talent of this OL before seasons end. If Fulton exceeds expectations let him play games 14 thru 16. Center answer may be found on the cheap but I'm still drafting Dickerson (Alabama) if he's on the board in RD3. If Faalele (Minnesota) is on the board late in RD4 or RD5.....he's my pick to probably be set at RT while pushing Howard in to RG. Johnson and Heck could fill the depth chart as OT's. Qvale, Fulton and Mancz could provide veteran lineman for the interior.
Martin can be cut with $2.5 million dead after this season. I am interested in Manz finishing season starting. At least give him a start and see what he can do.

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
I posted that signing article because of the contract given vs his ranking. Its another indication of poor money management by BOB. He was the 5th rated center in a division of 4. The heir to Meyers was already here, but he wasn't BOBs pick, much like Brooks. Go compare Ben Jones to Nick Martin from not only contractual, but from play.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Martin can be cut with $2.5 million dead after this season. I am interested in Manz finishing season starting. At least give him a start and see what he can do.
So is it wrong for me to hope that Martin is suspended for the rest of the season due to PEDs? The two million savings for the rest of the year would just about pay off his dead money next year so we can be gone from him.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
I like picking on Nick Martin, because he's the one guy that all Texans fans can agree on... He Just Sucks!

I remember a couple of weeks ago, I said to a friend, "At least he snaps the ball well." Can't even say that anymore.

View attachment 7180

He had at least half a dozen , maybe more poor snaps against the Colts .... the last one bit them in the ...

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
And some people thinks any quarterback would be successful playing behind that crap.
You'd do better talking about the game rather than the opinions of others. If someone's opinion bothers you that much , put them on ignore.

And I don't think anyone on this forum thinks this OL is remotely functional or that any other QB would be more successful than Watson has.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
What's just as bad on the blocking is the play call. Stop at 21 second mark. There is not a single receiver within 5 yards of the LOS. Knowing the OL has been struggling. He calls a slow developing play.

1st play Prociese was available in the right flat.

2nd play, when he 1st felt pressure he should've thrown the ball out of bounds by a WR on the left because he was in the EZ. Situational Awareness needs to inprove. Obviously that hasn't happened between the Colts/Bears games.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Down by over three touchdown we're calling running plays consistently? In the first half coming to an end with just a time for one play We kneel the ball? I'm yelling throw the damn thing! In my opinion we just piddled a play away.
& some folk (radio 610) think Buddy Howell should be starting.

I’d like to see him run when the game is on the line, not when the other team is expected us to air it out.

But... I do agree with the tactic, even down three scores. If the defense can’t keep Trubisky from scoring, offense has to.

Was the Bears punter even dressed for the game?

badboy

Hall of Fame
& some folk (radio 610) think Buddy Howell should be starting.

I’d like to see him run when the game is on the line, not when the other team is expected us to air it out.

But... I do agree with the tactic, even down three scores. If the defense can’t keep Trubisky from scoring, offense has to.

Was the Bears punter even dressed for the game?
I want to see Holly averaging more than 4.0 yards per carry. Heck I'd like to see him hit four. Issue as I see it, if he does well the remainder of this season he will be gone in free agency as some will offer more than we can afford to. It would be nice if we could get a decent running back with a cheap price and not have to use a draft pick. Perhaps he will want to remain with Houston. He has to earn it first.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I want to see Holly averaging more than 4.0 yards per carry. Heck I'd like to see him hit four. Issue as I see it, if he does well the remainder of this season he will be gone in free agency as some will offer more than we can afford to.
If Buddy Howell can avg 4 ypc a whole game it would signal the rest of the NFL that our offensive coaches have no place in the NFL since they kept trotting out guys who can’t.

So yeah, I’d love to see him get the lions share of carries from here on out & avg 4 ypc

dream_team

Hall of Fame
What's just as bad on the blocking is the play call. Stop at 21 second mark. There is not a single receiver within 5 yards of the LOS. Knowing the OL has been struggling. He calls a slow developing play.

On that first play, I remember people were saying... "Watson has to get rid of that ball, that sack is on him." I disagree. The play call was a shot play, and it's a freaking 3-man pass rush!!! Watson has to be looking downfield and not worry about his protection in those situations.

dream_team

Hall of Fame
This has got to be the worst coached o-line in the league! I have never seen so much pressure generated off 3 & 4-man fronts. Not to mention, it freakin' cost the Texans three 1sts and two 2nds to build. Plus, we are the FIFTH highest paid OL in the league!!! That's right, I said 5th!!!

It's truly embarrassing what the Texans have managed to build.

Texansballer74

The Marine
This has got to be the worst coached o-line in the league! I have never seen so much pressure generated off 3 & 4-man fronts. Not to mention, it freakin' cost the Texans three 1sts and two 2nds to build. Plus, we are the FIFTH highest paid OL in the league!!! That's right, I said 5th!!!

It's truly embarrassing what the Texans have managed to build.
And we actually believe any quarterback or running back will produce high numbers. Oh wait Watson is still putting up big numbers behind that crap. Remarkable