Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

State of the O-line

Earl34

Hall of Fame
I keep hearing this... what exactly does it mean? I also read another poster say Nick calls the protection now, so who do I believe?
Supposedly, when running the vaunted ED offense, the QB makes the OL calls. However, if you start going down the list of QBs having to make OL calls, the Texans are the exception.

Thinking about this. I don't think Mahomes, Jackson, Rodgers, Garofalo, Brees, Goff, Wentz, Tannehill or even a HOFer like Peyton Manning made the OL calls. Go figure.

dream_team

Hall of Fame
Supposedly, when running the vaunted ED offense, the QB makes the OL calls. However, if you start going down the list of QBs having to make OL calls, the Texans are the exception.

Thinking about this. I don't think Mahomes, Jackson, Rodgers, Garofalo, Brees, Goff, Wentz, Tannehill or even a HOFer like Peyton Manning made the OL calls. Go figure.
What I'm interested in learning is what does it mean to "make the OL calls". From my understanding, the playcall dictates the protection.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
I keep hearing this... what exactly does it mean? I also read another poster say Nick calls the protection now, so who do I believe?
With Kubiak, the center called protections. With Watson, aside what I have been personally told, it has been reported repeatedly that he calls the protections. There are certain protections built into the play. However, prior to the snap, it is up to Watson to adjust from what he sees when he reads the defense. This would include moving extra blockers like the TE or RB to perceived weak points, signaling a RB/WR for a quick emergency outlet pass or audibling out of the called play..........all options available to him.

dream_team

Hall of Fame
With Kubiak, the center called protections. With Watson, aside what I have been personally told, it has been reported repeatedly that he calls the protections.
This contradicts what @Texansballer74 posted, where BOB said Martin calls the protections.

There are certain protections built into the play. However, prior to the snap, it is up to Watson to adjust from what he sees when he reads the defense. This would include moving extra blockers like the TE or RB to perceived weak points, signaling a RB/WR for a quick emergency outlet pass or audibling out of the called play..........all options available to him.
So in other words, he's not calling the protection, but has the freedom to make adjustments to the protection inherent in the original play call.

Thanks!

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
This contradicts what @Texansballer74 posted, where BOB said Martin calls the protections.

So in other words, he's not calling the protection, but has the freedom to make adjustments to the protection inherent in the original play call.

Thanks!
Whatever play on the word "protection" one may choose, at best, the center can only try to align the Oline soley. He does not have the view to do any more. Watson technically calls and is responsible for his protection.

Last edited:

dream_team

Hall of Fame
Whatever play on the word "protection" one may choose, at best, the center can only try to align the Oline soley. He does not have the view to do any more. Watson technically calls and is responsible for his protection.
Yup, looks like we all use the term "protection" a bit differently.

Did some reading on EP. So the original playcall sets the protection in place, QB has the freedom to make some adjustments.

https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2020/2/24/21140555/two-concepts-in-one-the-erhardt-perkins-playcalling-language

In regards to the play "F Right 72 Ghost/Tosser"

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member

What I'm interested in learning is what does it mean to "make the OL calls". From my understanding, the playcall dictates the protection.

This is to set the protections as well as to make any pre snap adjustments after he's surveyed the defense / identified potential rushers and account for them. This is ALL QB's , not just Watson.

The Center Can Not make those reads as he simply cannot see them from his position.

dream_team

Hall of Fame
Just curious why it would matter if Scharpings elbow hit Watson after he released? Or were you just wanting to argue?
CND said Scharp did not make contact with Watson (did not clarify whether before or after release)... but when I watched it, it was pretty clear. Whether the contact came after release, and weather it affected his throw is a worthy debate which we'll have to ask DW for the answer. To me, looks like it affected his throw.

dream_team

Hall of Fame
This is to set the protections as well as to make any pre snap adjustments after he's surveyed the defense / identified potential rushers and account for them. This is ALL QB's , not just Watson.

The Center Can Not make those reads as he simply cannot see them from his position.
People keep saying "set the protection", but TBH, don't know what that means. Can you elaborate?

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
People keep saying "set the protection", but TBH, don't know what that . Can you elaborate?
This explanation by a former NFL Olineman should break down the most important concept regarding "protection" to simple understandable terms..........ultimately, the QB is responsible for his own protection.
**********************************************************************************************

A former NFL offensive lineman explains why pass protection is also the quarterback’s job
Retired NFL lineman Geoff Schwartz breaks down a myth about pass protection, and shows why Bears QB Mitchell Trubisky made a huge mistake on a sack play.
By Geoff Schwartz Nov 8, 2019, 11:00am EST

I was cut by the Lions at the end of August in 2016 and while I was looking for a job, I started writing for SB Nation. I thought coverage of offensive line play in traditional media and on social media was lacking, so I wanted to help educate the masses about play in the trenches. As I’ve expanded my role here, I get to write about everything, and it’s fabulous. But every now and then, I like to head back to my roots.

Offensive line play is complicated. I hate to say this because it sounds pretentious, but it’s true. Unless you’ve played or coached at a high level, there’s plenty you don’t know about the position. But that’s why I’m here.

This time, I’m going to use an example from the Chicago Bears to help explain a “myth” about offensive line play.
On this play against the Eagles, Bears quarterback Mitchell Trubisky was sacked. Here’s my explanation for why it doesn’t work:

Bears coach Matt Nagy was asked about this exact play and he said, “That was unscouted. They have not shown that before and that was a good play by them. We had enough guys there. But that was something that’s an in-game adjustment that we need to make.”

Add this to the list of problems I see with Trubisky and why this season continues to be an indictment on him.

This pressure was easy to see. Look at the numbers. The Eagles have two defenders in a clear man coverage posture over the two Bears offensive players on the right. There’s not a single person for Bears center James Daniels to work to. With a young center and the Bears’ desire to double Eagles pass rusher Fletcher Cox, he wasn’t looking to adjust the protection. If he had looked left, he’d have noticed everyone over there, but the center also can’t look left as he’s got his head under his body getting ready for the snap.

It appears Trubisky doesn’t even look over his left to notice all the Eagles just standing there waiting to pressure, even through a double cadence. He appears to have no idea what’s happening on defense. The Eagles are bringing six and the Bears have six players blocking for the quarterback. It should have been an easy pickup.

I think this play, while just one example, shows that Trubisky is playing with blinders on the field. Being able to notice this pressure and change the assignment in the protection would have allowed him more time to convert this third down. Instead, it’s a sack and the drive is over.

Let me explain more about pass protection so you can better understand why this was such screwup by Trubisky.

Here’s what is really happening during pass protection
Pass protection isn’t just an offensive line job. It’s a job that requires understanding from the entire offensive unit. Yes, that includes the wide receivers in most cases. In the dropback pass game — when a quarterback takes the snap and does not fake a handoff or move out of the pocket right away — pass protection becomes more complicated, especially later in the down when the defense is on the move.

Pass protection begins with the play call. The protection is called, and the assignments are set. The offensive line has five defenders. There are the players on the line of scrimmage, most often four players, and then one defender off the ball. That player is designated by the protection. The two most common dropback protections have the linemen working to the Will linebacker on the weakside, or the middle linebacker in a “base” protection.

The linemen break the huddle, head to the line of scrimmage, and declare the linebacker they are assigned to. If the running back and tight ends are in the protection, their assignment is now set off where the linemen are working. Lastly, the quarterback acknowledges the declared linebacker, which is the most important part of this process.

The quarterback must acknowledge who the offensive line is working to because he needs to know his issues in the protection. If there are five blocking five, plus a running back, that’s six players to block six defenders:

An X’s and O’s formation of the defenders the OL and RB have to block

If the defense brings a seventh defender, the QB needs to know where he’s going with the ball.

This is where the wide receivers are part of the protection. The quarterback will often point to defenders to let the WRs know that if these two guys come, the receivers need to run a hot/sight route. Now, this is what happens if everything works exactly as planned. Each and every protection is like this.

Here’s how and when protection should be changed
What happens if the picture isn’t clean? The line is supposed to slide right, but what if the linebacker isn’t in the spot where he’s supposed to be? What if there are many defenders on one side and the protection needs to be changed?

I think common wisdom is that the center, the commander of the line, makes the adjustment by himself. It’s not that simple.

As I stated, the pass protection unit doesn’t just include the offensive linemen. So if they make a change on their own, the quarterback doesn’t know where his issues are. The running back is now blocking the same defender as a lineman, and the wide receivers don’t know their jobs if too many defenders blitz. It’s a disaster and it should be avoided at all costs.

The proper way to change the protection starts from the quarterback. The quarterback takes a look at the shell of the defense, sees there’s an issue with the call protection, and changes the protection. He tells everyone in the pass protection unit what the changes are and they adjust accordingly. The QB then signals the new hot/sight defenders for the wide receivers and the ball is snapped.

Now, the job of noticing issues in pass protection isn’t only on the quarterback. The center, and often other linemen, can notice them too: when there’s no one in the area they are supposed to work to, or sometimes the safety location can give away pressure. A veteran center will suggest a change in the protection to the quarterback, who will often agree with the center and the change is made.

A center can only suggest a change and isn’t allowed to make wholesale changes.

THE REST OF THE STORY

Earl34

Hall of Fame
That's a great read. What's funny, over the years, I read multiple articles regarding who calls the protection and always thought it was based on the system or HC preference

"The center is like an air-traffic controller. Before each snap, he surveys the defense and decides if the blocking plan is good enough to protect the quarterback or to create a lane for a running back. If the center determines that the defense has an advantage, he will change the blocking assignments at the line of scrimmage.

That is when the chess game begins. Centers call audibles in numerous ways. Sometimes they yell code words to the entire line, or they will tell the guards next to them, who in turn tell the tackles. Other times they raise or turn their heads, or make hand gestures."

What happens when the center calls an audible, but a quarterback like Peyton Manning, who frequently calls or changes plays at the line, calls a different audible? The quarterback wins. Not only is the quarterback the leader of the offense, but he is also standing up and can see more than the center.

https://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/02/sports/football/02center.html

Last edited:

Earl34

Hall of Fame
Here is another article and it mentions how Schaub, Myers and Kubiak handled the OL calls.

"Myers is a key leader for the Texans, and he carries a lot of responsibility for calling protections. He likes working with a veteran quarterback, in Matt Schaub, who participates in the process, and he likes having other offensive linemen who are capable of making calls or adjustments, too.

While Myers welcomes the play here and there when he doesn’t have to figure out the equation and solve it before the snap, he’s always ready and willing to do so.

“We have the quarterback do it, have a tackle do it sometimes when we have to fan out in certain play-actions,” Myers said. “So the responsibility isn’t solely on one guy, and I think that’s a great thing. We have the ability and the leadership and the people who have played long enough, we’re able to put it on everyone’s shoulders as opposed to just one guy.”

https://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/68746/who-calls-the-protections-and-why

dream_team

Hall of Fame
Looks like Cobb is open.
Would have been a dangerous pass. He'd have to lob it over the linemen, and there was a defender playing behind Cobbs that could have jumped it. I would have preferred he just tuck and run it in this situation. Lots of green to his left.

But that's besides the point of my post. The OL gets easily fooled by stunts. 6 blockers against 5 defenders shouldn't equate to one free pass rusher.

dream_team

Hall of Fame
This explanation by a former NFL Olineman should break down the most important concept regarding "protection" to simple understandable terms..........ultimately, the QB is responsible for his own protection.
**********************************************************************************************

A former NFL offensive lineman explains why pass protection is also the quarterback’s job
Retired NFL lineman Geoff Schwartz breaks down a myth about pass protection, and shows why Bears QB Mitchell Trubisky made a huge mistake on a sack play.
By Geoff Schwartz Nov 8, 2019, 11:00am EST

I was cut by the Lions at the end of August in 2016 and while I was looking for a job, I started writing for SB Nation. I thought coverage of offensive line play in traditional media and on social media was lacking, so I wanted to help educate the masses about play in the trenches. As I’ve expanded my role here, I get to write about everything, and it’s fabulous. But every now and then, I like to head back to my roots.

Offensive line play is complicated. I hate to say this because it sounds pretentious, but it’s true. Unless you’ve played or coached at a high level, there’s plenty you don’t know about the position. But that’s why I’m here.

This time, I’m going to use an example from the Chicago Bears to help explain a “myth” about offensive line play.
On this play against the Eagles, Bears quarterback Mitchell Trubisky was sacked. Here’s my explanation for why it doesn’t work:

Bears coach Matt Nagy was asked about this exact play and he said, “That was unscouted. They have not shown that before and that was a good play by them. We had enough guys there. But that was something that’s an in-game adjustment that we need to make.”

Add this to the list of problems I see with Trubisky and why this season continues to be an indictment on him.

This pressure was easy to see. Look at the numbers. The Eagles have two defenders in a clear man coverage posture over the two Bears offensive players on the right. There’s not a single person for Bears center James Daniels to work to. With a young center and the Bears’ desire to double Eagles pass rusher Fletcher Cox, he wasn’t looking to adjust the protection. If he had looked left, he’d have noticed everyone over there, but the center also can’t look left as he’s got his head under his body getting ready for the snap.

It appears Trubisky doesn’t even look over his left to notice all the Eagles just standing there waiting to pressure, even through a double cadence. He appears to have no idea what’s happening on defense. The Eagles are bringing six and the Bears have six players blocking for the quarterback. It should have been an easy pickup.

I think this play, while just one example, shows that Trubisky is playing with blinders on the field. Being able to notice this pressure and change the assignment in the protection would have allowed him more time to convert this third down. Instead, it’s a sack and the drive is over.

Let me explain more about pass protection so you can better understand why this was such screwup by Trubisky.

Here’s what is really happening during pass protection
Pass protection isn’t just an offensive line job. It’s a job that requires understanding from the entire offensive unit. Yes, that includes the wide receivers in most cases. In the dropback pass game — when a quarterback takes the snap and does not fake a handoff or move out of the pocket right away — pass protection becomes more complicated, especially later in the down when the defense is on the move.

Pass protection begins with the play call. The protection is called, and the assignments are set. The offensive line has five defenders. There are the players on the line of scrimmage, most often four players, and then one defender off the ball. That player is designated by the protection. The two most common dropback protections have the linemen working to the Will linebacker on the weakside, or the middle linebacker in a “base” protection.

The linemen break the huddle, head to the line of scrimmage, and declare the linebacker they are assigned to. If the running back and tight ends are in the protection, their assignment is now set off where the linemen are working. Lastly, the quarterback acknowledges the declared linebacker, which is the most important part of this process.

The quarterback must acknowledge who the offensive line is working to because he needs to know his issues in the protection. If there are five blocking five, plus a running back, that’s six players to block six defenders:

An X’s and O’s formation of the defenders the OL and RB have to block

If the defense brings a seventh defender, the QB needs to know where he’s going with the ball.

This is where the wide receivers are part of the protection. The quarterback will often point to defenders to let the WRs know that if these two guys come, the receivers need to run a hot/sight route. Now, this is what happens if everything works exactly as planned. Each and every protection is like this.

Here’s how and when protection should be changed
What happens if the picture isn’t clean? The line is supposed to slide right, but what if the linebacker isn’t in the spot where he’s supposed to be? What if there are many defenders on one side and the protection needs to be changed?

I think common wisdom is that the center, the commander of the line, makes the adjustment by himself. It’s not that simple.

As I stated, the pass protection unit doesn’t just include the offensive linemen. So if they make a change on their own, the quarterback doesn’t know where his issues are. The running back is now blocking the same defender as a lineman, and the wide receivers don’t know their jobs if too many defenders blitz. It’s a disaster and it should be avoided at all costs.

The proper way to change the protection starts from the quarterback. The quarterback takes a look at the shell of the defense, sees there’s an issue with the call protection, and changes the protection. He tells everyone in the pass protection unit what the changes are and they adjust accordingly. The QB then signals the new hot/sight defenders for the wide receivers and the ball is snapped.

Now, the job of noticing issues in pass protection isn’t only on the quarterback. The center, and often other linemen, can notice them too: when there’s no one in the area they are supposed to work to, or sometimes the safety location can give away pressure. A veteran center will suggest a change in the protection to the quarterback, who will often agree with the center and the change is made.

A center can only suggest a change and isn’t allowed to make wholesale changes.

THE REST OF THE STORY
Great read. Thanks for the article!

Reactions: JB

welsh texan

You may say I’m a dreamer but I’m not the only one
Would have been a dangerous pass. He'd have to lob it over the linemen, and there was a defender playing behind Cobbs that could have jumped it. I would have preferred he just tuck and run it in this situation. Lots of green to his left.

But that's besides the point of my post. The OL gets easily fooled by stunts. 6 blockers against 5 defenders shouldn't equate to one free pass rusher.
This is a point that was made on Texans Unfiltered is that Watson won’t throw a receiver he doesn’t trust. He’d put that ball in there for Hopkins, is more than willing to throw Fuller in tight windows, but he can’t release the ball to a new receiver.
Hopefully he can build that trust as the season goes on.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
That's a great read. What's funny, over the years, I read multiple articles regarding who calls the protection and always thought it was based on the system or HC preference

"The center is like an air-traffic controller. Before each snap, he surveys the defense and decides if the blocking plan is good enough to protect the quarterback or to create a lane for a running back. If the center determines that the defense has an advantage, he will change the blocking assignments at the line of scrimmage.

That is when the chess game begins. Centers call audibles in numerous ways. Sometimes they yell code words to the entire line, or they will tell the guards next to them, who in turn tell the tackles. Other times they raise or turn their heads, or make hand gestures."

What happens when the center calls an audible, but a quarterback like Peyton Manning, who frequently calls or changes plays at the line, calls a different audible? The quarterback wins. Not only is the quarterback the leader of the offense, but he is also standing up and can see more than the center.

Thanks. Another interesting article. One point in this article that needs to be emphasized about any center's ability to input to the play is the quarterback's positioning in the shotgun vs under center.:

A center’s job becomes more difficult if the quarterback goes to the shotgun formation, or if crowd noise makes it impossible to call out audibles.
This in turn places that much more responsibility onto the QB for reading the defense and making correct protection calls.

Last edited:

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
Yep , that's an easy throw.
How many of these misses are being executed in a single game? 1 or 2 a game typically does not make that big of a difference. Same can be said for the 4 hand drops by his receivers.

A pass like this does not take a QB with big upside and suddenly makes him a QB with zero upside or being proclaimed as a draft bust.

I see a really good QB with a ton upside strapped in offense that isn't conducive for any QB to succeed in. Watson obviously wants to be in Houston b/c he didn't have to sign the new contract or even work towards getting another one agreed upon. If OB didn't want him....he certainly didn't have to make the effort to get him extended. On the flip side, what else could he do? He didn't have a QB ready to fill the void nor did he have the budget to make a pitch to another top tier FA QB. I think Watson signed the extension with the expectation that OB would eventually be fired before his contract plays out.

Who wins the argument in front of the McNairs.....OB: We just can't win with Watson at QB b/c he's failed to grasp my EP Offense. Watson: We can't become the ultimate winners playing in this system b/c it's far too predictable and hasn't played to my strengths beyond my sixth game. Also, who's responsible for the defense that can't protect a lead if the teams season depended on it?

Earl34

Hall of Fame

I think this is the biggest issue with this OL. The pre-snap protection might be set, but once the ball is snapped, all bets are off. For example, why on earth would Martin not block the man DIRECTLY in front of him? He allows a free blitzer to help Scharping for no damn reason. How do you set protection for this post snap play?

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
How many of these misses are being executed in a single game? 1 or 2 a game typically does not make that big of a difference. Same can be said for the 4 hand drops by his receivers.
If you watch the All-22 .... there are several every game. We've had this conversation time and again "Watson misses reads" and people continue to make excuses / blame someone , anyone else.

I know my position isn't a popular one .... but it will be eventually.

A pass like this does not take a QB with big upside and suddenly makes him a QB with zero upside or being proclaimed as a draft bust.
I'm not ready to proclaim him a bust just yet , and particularly not after they gave him that extension .... but I would prefer to see him in an offense where he doesn't have so many options that would force him to take what's there rather than holding the ball waiting , waiting , waiting .... then hit the panic button.

I see a really good QB with a ton upside strapped in offense that isn't conducive for any QB to succeed in.
I see a guy with all the physical tools .... but not much else. He's flat out regressed since he came out of college. I'm not sure who to blame that on ..... him or OB or some combination of the two.
But then you hear rumblings from inside the organization that are negative to Watson ... & my first question was then why the hell did they give him $110 million guaranteed ?! Then you remember its the Texans and what matters isn't winning. Its marketing.

Watson obviously wants to be in Houston b/c he didn't have to sign the new contract or even work towards getting another one agreed upon. If OB didn't want him....he certainly didn't have to make the effort to get him extended. On the flip side, what else could he do? He didn't have a QB ready to fill the void nor did he have the budget to make a pitch to another top tier FA QB. I think Watson signed the extension with the expectation that OB would eventually be fired before his contract plays out.
OB didn't have to be party to this - he might be the GM but ownership runs the show. This was about marketing as Watson is a very marketable player. Remember the Texans are a marketing firm with a football division.

What else could OB do ? He doesn't even have the option to get back on the QB carousel because of ownership - Watson is the face of the franchise and that matters more than winning. OB - Screw it , I'll cash my checks and help market the product.

Who wins the argument in front of the McNairs.....

Good question ....

Earl34

Hall of Fame
This is a point that was made on Texans Unfiltered is that Watson won’t throw a receiver he doesn’t trust. He’d put that ball in there for Hopkins, is more than willing to throw Fuller in tight windows, but he can’t release the ball to a new receiver.
To be fair. Here is a similar easy throw to Fuller, but he takes the more difficult throw into a tighter window to Akins. In this case, the pass to Fuller is the safer option, but if his progression is deep to shallow and he feels his TE has a mismatch, you get those results.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
Simple... leave. Don't sign an extension w/ the team that doesn't care about winning. He's only hurting himself by staying w/ an organization "that doesn't care about winning".
Except he signed that extension in 2018 .... At this point he has few options other than cashing his checks.

Ob and this franchise are kinda made for each other in a comical sense.

Poor coach , poor franchise.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
& my first question was then why the hell did they give him $110 million guaranteed ?!
There's not a team in the league that wouldn't have given that extension if Watson was their QB. Not one.
What else could OB do ? He doesn't even have the option to get back on the QB carousel
O'Brien has been here 7 years. WTF has he done to get a chance for a do over?

O'Brien with Watson = 24-14
O'Brien without Watson = 28-31

If anything, Watson is the one who deserves a do over.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
There's not a team in the league that wouldn't have given that extension if Watson was their QB. Not one.

I don't at all disagree with what you've said here - in fact I've said I want OB gone and a new coach with a system that favors Watson's strengths brought in.

That does not mean I think Watson is without fault. He has his warts and they contribute to this offenses woes. He misses an awful lot of reads and he holds the ball too long. Blame that on whatever your heart desires but he has not gotten better in that regard but has regressed.

I also think it was downright stupid to extend Watson this season when you have no clue what the cap is going to look like in 22 and beyond and you had him under a reasonable contract for the 5th year.

Even if the 22 cap returns to 200m that's still 21.2% of the total. One fifth of the entire budget for the 55 man roster.
I know , that's the cost of doin business .... this is the new NFL.

What we do know is that the owners and NFLPA agreed to spread "This years" losses across the next four seasons - with no thought of shortfalls beyond that.

Texansballer74

The Marine
He went to those receivers and they had 4 drops. In order for any quarterback to trust his receivers, they have to catch the football. You also have to understand they didn’t go through the usual training camp. So it’s going to take some freaking time to build chemistry.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
To be fair. Here is a similar easy throw to Fuller, but he takes the more difficult throw into a tighter window to Akins. In this case, the pass to Fuller is the safer option, but if his progression is deep to shallow and he feels his TE has a mismatch, you get those results
It's also likely on this play against this team they got exactly the defensive look they were hoping for. With the safeties split the way they are & the flood of receivers to the right... I would bet 56 was his read the whole time. If he turns early & runs with the TE, then it's an easy pitch & catch to Fuller.

But if 56 sits & turns late (which he did) that's a TD (which it was).

badboy

Hall of Fame

I would prefer only one person on offense saying anything. Hard enough for our guys to hear anywho, partial full stands or not.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Here is another article and it mentions how Schaub, Myers and Kubiak handled the OL calls.

"Myers is a key leader for the Texans, and he carries a lot of responsibility for calling protections. He likes working with a veteran quarterback, in Matt Schaub, who participates in the process, and he likes having other offensive linemen who are capable of making calls or adjustments, too.

While Myers welcomes the play here and there when he doesn’t have to figure out the equation and solve it before the snap, he’s always ready and willing to do so.

“We have the quarterback do it, have a tackle do it sometimes when we have to fan out in certain play-actions,” Myers said. “So the responsibility isn’t solely on one guy, and I think that’s a great thing. We have the ability and the leadership and the people who have played long enough, we’re able to put it on everyone’s shoulders as opposed to just one guy.”

https://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/68746/who-calls-the-protections-and-why
Nope want decisions and responsibility to be on our $160 million guy. Also, he is not scrunched over trying to hike a ball between his thighs as he prepares to get knocked out of his jock strap by one or more defenders.

badboy

Hall of Fame

I see a really good QB with a ton upside strapped in offense that isn't conducive for any QB to succeed in. Watson obviously wants to be in Houston b/c he didn't have to sign the new contract or even work towards getting another one agreed upon. If OB didn't want him....he certainly didn't have to make the effort to get him extended. On the flip side, what else could he do? He didn't have a QB ready to fill the void nor did he have the budget to make a pitch to another top tier FA QB. I think Watson signed the extension with the expectation that OB would eventually be fired before his contract plays out.

Who wins the argument in front of the McNairs.....OB: We just can't win with Watson at QB b/c he's failed to grasp my EP Offense. Watson: We can't become the ultimate winners playing in this system b/c it's far too predictable and hasn't played to my strengths beyond my sixth game. Also, who's responsible for the defense that can't protect a lead if the teams season depended on it?
Maybe there is no argument to McNairs; perhaps Watson and O ' Brien think they can improve? That's what I'm hoping for.

badboy

Hall of Fame

I wonder why teams were not burning the lines with huge trade offers for #4? Washington had space, players and picks. Raiders were another possibility.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
In the whole BOB vs DW4 debate, this is really the key stat. Doesn't even mention the defense during the non-Watson years was better.

Watson isn't perfect, but he gives us a much better chance at winning games vs w/o him.

I don't disagree ... at all.

Watson gives you enough big plays to win a few but he's also very inconsistent and has few sustained drives. Its boom or bust. Big play or punt.

Yes , you have a better shot of winning with Watson than the QB's OB had prior.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
In the whole BOB vs DW4 debate, this is really the key stat. Doesn't even mention the defense during the non-Watson years was better.

Watson isn't perfect, but he gives us a much better chance at winning games vs w/o him.
No championships will be in the future.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
I don't disagree ... at all.

Watson gives you enough big plays to win a few but he's also very inconsistent and has few sustained drives. Its boom or bust. Big play or punt.

Yes , you have a better shot of winning with Watson than the QB's OB had prior.
You hear inconsistency with OB's players a lot.
It's because the HC/OC couldn't help them with a better play design/blocking scheme.
The players get about 5 easy plays a game and they will simply look better and more consistent.

amazing80

Hall of Fame
I recall Wade Smith & Cecil Shorts discussing on 610 how it's difficult to be consistent in BOB's offense.
Yes. I have posted on this many times but people don’t listen. Asking these guys to have many read options in a single play design is not practical. There are too many variables and it’s impossible to be perfect every play. That’s why we look like the best team one series and the worst in the league the next

Earl34

Hall of Fame
Yes. I have posted on this many times but people don’t listen. Asking these guys to have many read options in a single play design is not practical. There are too many variables and it’s impossible to be perfect every play. That’s why we look like the best team one series and the worst in the league the next
Good post. It's why young WRs struggle. It's why a young QB who holds the ball will hold it longer. It's why a bad to mediocre OL gets worse. You have a guy like Coutee who ran a limited route tree in college. He gets to the Texans and has to learn to read coverages, has to get to the LOS and look at the DB technique and he has to contribute immediately or get in the doghouse.

It's ironic because in the age of maximizing rookie contracts and getting young players to play immediately, the Texans run an offense that more often than not handcuffs young players. Have them thinking more than reacting or playing fast. Go figure.

Last edited:

badboy

Hall of Fame
Because everyone knows DW4 is not on the trading block? Similar to why teams weren't calling KC about Mahomes?
Teams call about players on block or not for simple reason that things can be going on behind scenes. You don't know if teams have called on Mahommes or not.