Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

State of the O-line

According to football outsiders we were 27th in pass protection last season and 21st in run blocking

neither rank is above average. The OL was better for sure and I believe they are an ascending group.

Actually @KarlK is correct - the OL was well above league average in pass protection.

They dropped from 62 sacks in 2018 to 49 in 2019 and a large percentage of those were not attributed to poor OL play but …. Heroball by their QB in both seasons. They actually scored more points per game in 2018.

We've had this conversation before.

Watson has a propensity to hang onto the ball looking for a big play when its not there.

That's a huge part of why this offense is boom or bust - they either make a big play or they give the ball away - very few sustained drives.

Thing is , his escape-ability is what makes Watson special , he's got to learn when and when not to ….

Here we go again completely ignoring the stats that others have posted. I posted a very important stat in which shows around 2.8 - 2.85 is the norm for quarterbacks. Even Patrick held the ball as long as Watson. The play design is another reason why he’s holding onto the ball longer. Someone posted an interview with Watson and Kurt Warner. A lot of those plays were designed for the deep pass or the option to either run or dump it off. The offensive line doesn’t know what Watson is going to do. So it takes extreme discipline on their behalf. This has nothing to do with Hero ball. Yes he does the hero stuff from time to time. But that offensive line was not good last year or the year before. I’m chalking it up to the complexity of the scheme and not having cohesive with one another.

According to football outsiders we were 27th in pass protection last season and 21st in run blocking

neither rank is above average. The OL was better for sure and I believe they are an ascending group.

Good find. We were slightly better than the year before

Here we go again completely ignoring the stats that others have posted. I posted a very important stat in which shows around 2.8 - 2.85 is the norm for quarterbacks. Even Patrick held the ball as long as Watson. The play design is another reason why he’s holding onto the ball longer. Someone posted an interview with Watson and Kurt Warner. A lot of those plays were designed for the deep pass or the option to either run or dump it off. The offensive line doesn’t know what Watson is going to do. So it takes extreme discipline on their behalf. This has nothing to do with Hero ball. Yes he does the hero stuff from time to time. But that offensive line was not good last year or the year before. I’m chalking it up to the complexity of the scheme and not having cohesive with one another.

So DW4 doesn't hold the ball too long or play hero ball?

OK

As far as the Time-to-Throw [TTT] stat, the analytics can be quite deceiving. Most consider 2.8 secs average, 2.5 secs quick, and 3 secs slow. The problem lies in the fact the TTT stat is an average of times. It should be obvious that some QBs can have a consistently narrow range of times (near the average number), while others can have wide swings in their times to account for the same average (i.e., very quick times mixed with very slow times). The latter "swing" scenario can easily account for inconsistent QB performance.

As far as the Time-to-Throw [TTT] stat, the analytics can be quite deceiving. Most consider 2.8 secs average, 2.5 secs quick, and 3 secs slow. The problem lies in the fact the TTT stat is an average of times. It should be obvious that some QBs can have a consistently narrow range of times (near the average number), while others can have wide swings in their times to account for the same average (i.e., very quick times mixed with very slow times). The latter "swing" scenario can easily account for inconsistent QB performance.

That’s the reason why I mentioned the complexity of our offense. We have routes that takes a lot of time to develop. In Watson’s rookie year we ran routes that were quicker. That’s why he was up there with Tom Brady when it came to quick release. Then O’Brien said they were going away from that offense and we would see something completely different in scheme. Shoots if you dive into it more you would see the Chiefs running a lot of these schemes too. Only difference is they actually have better weapons that knows how to get open. Most of those players been in that system together for more than a year or two.

Last edited:
That’s the reason why I mentioned the complexity of our offense. We have routes that takes a lot of time to develop. In Watson’s rookie year we ran routes that were quicker. That’s why he was up here with Tom Brady when it came to quick release. Then O’Brien said they were going away from that offense and we would see something completely different in scheme. Shoots if you dive into it more you would see the Chiefs running a lot of these schemes too. Only difference is they actually have better weapons that knows how to get open. Most of those players been in that system together for more than a year or two.
Those who seriously evaluate "analytics" feel that they work well in baseball, but not so much in football................because in baseball the player pretty much controls his own fate one-one-one with few exceptions/variables........while in football, there are too many variables (many that cannot be known) that need to go into evaluating a player's performance, even if each play were evaluated independently by different "observers." Analytics began in baseball and has been relatively successful...............it should have stayed in that sport.

Guess it depends upon who's metrics are used - https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id...s-rushing-rankings-2019-pbwr-prwr-leaderboard

Team Pass Block Win Rate
1. Green Bay Packers, 72%
2. Baltimore Ravens, 69%
3. Indianapolis Colts, 65%
4. Tennessee Titans, 63%
5. Oakland Raiders, 63%
6. Cleveland Browns, 63%
7. Pittsburgh Steelers, 62%
8. Houston Texans, 62%
9. Buffalo Bills, 62%
10. Arizona Cardinals, 62%
11. Dallas Cowboys, 61%
12. New York Giants, 61%
13. Chicago Bears, 61%
14. Kansas City Chiefs, 60%
15. Detroit Lions, 59%
16. New York Jets, 59%
17. Tampa Bay Buccaneers, 58%
18. New England Patriots, 58%
19. Philadelphia Eagles, 58%
20. Los Angeles Chargers, 58%
21. Washington Redskins, 58%
22. Los Angeles Rams, 57%
23. Minnesota Vikings, 57%
24. Jacksonville Jaguars, 56%
25. New Orleans Saints, 56%
26. San Francisco 49ers, 55%
27. Denver Broncos, 55%
28. Seattle Seahawks, 54%
29. Atlanta Falcons, 50%
30. Carolina Panthers, 50%
31. Cincinnati Bengals, 47%
32. Miami Dolphins, 41%

That's above average.

Did you even look at what you linked? lol....that pass protection rating list is basically straight off how many sacks an OL allowed. We already know that Houston gave up a ton of sacks due to Watson holding onto the ball way to long because he has trouble processing things.

Thanks for the worthless contribution.

As opposed to PFF or FootballOutsiders, this article uses a hodge podge of different sources to put together their rankings.

Let's use a little logic and apply it to what we saw. The LT was acquired after training camp and had little time to study the playbook, much less acclimate to his teammates. Two rookies started, one at a position he had never played. The other played half a season due to injury. And still, the o-line was better than in 2018. That says more about how atrocious the line was then than how great the line was in 2019.

However, the thread title is "State of the O-Line". Meaning, what can we expect in 2020? I say, we can expect the best line in the O'Brien era. Thanks to having a franchise LT and two 2nd year linemen with a season in the system. Am I right, or am I right?

Last edited:
On the one hand, I see Watson holding the ball way too long & an OL blocking well enough that I can say, "What was he waiting on? Chunk it, or run."

So I can believe ranking 8th in pass blocking win rate.

On the other hand I remember three man rushes teeing off on my QB.

So I have no problem believing a 27th ranked OL.

Let's use a little logic and apply it to what we saw. The LT was acquired after training camp and had little time to study the playbook, much less acclimate to his teammates. Two rookies started, one at a position he had never played. The other played half a season due to injury. And still, the o-line was better than in 2018. That says more about how atrocious the line was then than how great the line was in 2019.

However, the thread title is "State of the O-Line". Meaning, what can we expect in 2020? I say, we cannot expect the best line in the O'Brien era. Thanks to having a franchise LT and two 2nd year linemen with a season in the system. Am I right, or am I right?
I'm left totally confused by your statement. I know I'm missing something. But I don't know what.

However, the thread title is "State of the O-Line". Meaning, what can we expect in 2020? I say, we can expect the best line in the O'Brien era. Thanks to having a franchise LT and two 2nd year linemen with a season in the system.

It will also be the 1st time in the BO'b era that we start with an OL intact from the previous season.

Well, the possibility is there. We're a long way away from the start of the season.

Here we go again being sensitive and for what. Nobody said Watson doesn't shoulder some of the blame. We finally have a franchise quarterback but you select few try so hard to only blame him. He's still young and learning. But come on the blame goes to everyone

Your opinion is that he's a franchise QB.

How long are we going to use the he's young excuse?

I'm just wishing there was improvement

I give up …. Nothing is Watson's fault , he never makes a mistake. It's all OB or the OL.

Done here.

I didn‘t write my post in defense of Watson. I think Watson has a tendency to hold the ball too long in hopes of making big plays. I think that’s on him and the coaches to correct. There are times where I feel he should either run it for a short gain, check down or throw it away. The times he does not are 100% on him. However, I’ve heard both Stoerner and Orlovsky criticize our play designs for not giving the QB enough outs on plays. That’s on the coaching staff. Great coaches take what players do well and build off that, as the player matures and learns you can add more complexity to the system. I posted an excellent article somewhere on the site detailing how Shanahan makes the game easier for Garrapalo. You can also look at what Baltimore has done for LJ.

As for the OL, I’ll have to read more on what the “win rate” is supposed to measure. Watching every game last year, the OLs performance, to my eye, matches the stats that the football outsiders posted. We were a solid run blocking group, as evidenced by Hyde’s career year, and we were below average in pass blocking. There were too many times where opposing defenses were creating pressure with 4 rushers. IMHO, if we truly had an above average pass blocking OL, that wouldn’t be the case. Having said that, I think our OL is on the upswing. I think we have some really good young talent that will improve with experience. We just need to keep Clark off the field as he is truly bad at football

“We” don’t need an excuse, because “we” think he’s doing a phenomenal job and see continual improvement.

Thanks for bringing in Watson into virtually every thread.

I didn't bring DW4 into this thread. I responded to TB's saying DW4 is a franchise QB.

We all hope he's a true franchise QB. Some on here don't want to hear an honest opinion on DW4 like Corrosion gave and he has spent yrs watching QB play with one of the best.

I didn‘t write my post in defense of Watson. I think Watson has a tendency to hold the ball too long in hopes of making big plays. I think that’s on him and the coaches to correct. There are times where I feel he should either run it for a short gain, check down or throw it away. The times he does not are 100% on him. However, I’ve heard both Stoerner and Orlovsky criticize our play designs for not giving the QB enough outs on plays. That’s on the coaching staff. Great coaches take what players do well and build off that, as the player matures and learns you can add more complexity to the system. I posted an excellent article somewhere on the site detailing how Shanahan makes the game easier for Garrapalo. You can also look at what Baltimore has done for LJ.

As for the OL, I’ll have to read more on what the “win rate” is supposed to measure. Watching every game last year, the OLs performance, to my eye, matches the stats that the football outsiders posted. We were a solid run blocking group, as evidenced by Hyde’s career year, and we were below average in pass blocking. There were too many times where opposing defenses were creating pressure with 4 rushers. IMHO, if we truly had an above average pass blocking OL, that wouldn’t be the case. Having said that, I think our OL is on the upswing. I think we have some really good young talent that will improve with experience. We just need to keep Clark off the field as he is truly bad at football

As TB said, you can't put too much on DW4's plate. This is why I'm for using DW4 like LJ. Don't ask him to think, ask him to react. It's the only chance he's got for success.

Due to holding the ball too long and slow processing the ol will continue to put up lesser stats than the ol play actually is performing at. The long developing routes thing, while somewhat true is just another excuse to try to explain away why DW4's holding onto the ball too long.

As TB said, you can't put too much on DW4's plate. This is why I'm for using DW4 like LJ. Don't ask him to think, ask him to react. It's the only chance he's got for success.

Due to holding the ball too long and slow processing the ol will continue to put up lesser stats than the ol play actually is performing at. The long developing routes thing, while somewhat true is just another excuse to try to explain away why DW4's holding onto the ball too long.

Exactly. Why is it so hard for people to accept this?

Anyone find the link to show the Pass Block Win Rate for all players? The link above just shows the top 10 at C, OG, and OT. Surprisingly, Texans only has one player that is ranked top 10, which is Nick Martin. I'd like to see where the other players rank, particularly Tunsil. Was surprised that Tunsil wasn't top 10.

I didn't bring DW4 into this thread. I responded to TB's saying DW4 is a franchise QB.

We all hope he's a true franchise QB. Some on here don't want to hear an honest opinion on DW4 like Corrosion gave and he has spent yrs watching QB play with one of the best.

The list of coaches I've been around / learned this game from is a legendary list …. Reeves , Seifert , Daddy Shanahan , Kubiak , Baby Shanny and Phillips among others.

But what do I know ….

So you’re all knowing because you’ve been around those coaches. Lol

I never claimed to be all knowing ….

But my experiences in and around the game , learning the game from some of the best coaches in the league & interacting with coaches and players over a period of better than 40 years do give me a very unique perspective.
The access to information , schemes , playbooks , coaches , practices , film , meetings and players themselves over decades …. when most fans get no closer than their TV screen or a seat in the stands.

Yeah , I'd say I have a unique perspective ….. and a better understanding than most of the complexities of the game.

If Watson’s first six games had never been seen by my eyes, I might go along with some of the folks takes. Watson had no problems hitting every NFL pass nor processing where he wanted to go with the ball.

My guess, there were few to no Texans fans who weren’t excited by Watson’s first 6 games. The majority probably felt the team finally had their Franchise QB.

Based on Watson’s desire to study and execute as an NFL QB, the wheels on his development and the offenses regression falls at OB’s feet. OB failed at building the offense around what Watson had done and decided to scrap that offensive approach for “his”...you know, the one that hamstrung every QB he’s had run it. OB has been blind to the mediocre results since Day1.

Also, that BS narrative that defenses didn’t have film on Watson....NFL DC’s have enough film after a couple of games. They couldn’t slow that offense down and the offense was putting points OB hadn’t enjoyed before or after those 6+ games.

Watson is a FQB just waiting for OB to put an offense in place that takes full advantage of his skill-set.

If Watson’s first six games had never been seen by my eyes, I might go along with some of the folks takes. Watson had no problems hitting every NFL pass nor processing where he wanted to go with the ball.

My guess, there were few to no Texans fans who weren’t excited by Watson’s first 6 games. The majority probably felt the team finally had their Franchise QB.

Based on Watson’s desire to study and execute as an NFL QB, the wheels on his development and the offenses regression falls at OB’s feet. OB failed at building the offense around what Watson had done and decided to scrap that offensive approach for “his”...you know, the one that hamstrung every QB he’s had run it. OB has been blind to the mediocre results since Day1.

Also, that BS narrative that defenses didn’t have film on Watson....NFL DC’s have enough film after a couple of games. They couldn’t slow that offense down and the offense was putting points OB hadn’t enjoyed before or after those 6+ games.

Watson is a FQB just waiting for OB to put an offense in place that takes full advantage of his skill-set.

I guess you still aren't realizing that teams weren't gameplanning for Watson's tendencies at all during that 6 game stretch 3 years ago. That small sample size from 2017 really means nothing now in 2020. It's cute that you think all they need to do is flip some switch and simply go back and do what they did then, though. If only it were that simple.

They do gameplan for his tendencies now. And, well, you see what he is.

I never claimed to be all knowing ….

But my experiences in and around the game , learning the game from some of the best coaches in the league & interacting with coaches and players over a period of better than 40 years do give me a very unique perspective.
The access to information , schemes , playbooks , coaches , practices , film , meetings and players themselves over decades …. when most fans get no closer than their TV screen or a seat in the stands.

Yeah , I'd say I have a unique perspective ….. and a better understanding than most of the complexities of the game.

You eluded to that when you started clamoring about who you knew and been around. Then saying “what do I know”. What was your purpose of saying that anyways. It’s like you get all mad and sensitive whenever someone doesn’t agree with a troll post about Watson. If you’re going to be even keel then keep it balanced. Nobody has said Watson wasn’t at fault in some of those games or doesn’t shoulder some of the blame. But every time someone doesn’t agree with Karl or Steel you quickly post what you just posted. That dude Karl isn’t a Texans fan and he doesn’t follow our team like we do. Meaning watching all of our games. He’s probably going to every teams forum talking smack about their QB’s too.

I guess you still aren't realizing that teams weren't gameplanning for Watson's tendencies at all during that 6 game stretch 3 years ago. That small sample size from 2017 really means nothing now in 2020. It's cute that you think all they need to do is flip some switch and simply go back and do what they did then, though. If only it were that simple.

They do gameplan for his tendencies now. And, well, you see what he is.

What is the game quota that teams use before game planning for a QB? The way Watson was eating up offenses, DC’s Would be fools for not planning for him. OB was their best all ally b/c he’s the one who restricted Watson’s capabilities.

No one can say for sure what Watson may have been capable of had OB stuck with the existing plan.

What is the game quota that teams use before game planning for a QB? The way Watson was eating up offenses, DC’s Would be fools for not planning for him. OB was their best all ally b/c he’s the one who restricted Watson’s capabilities.

No one can say for sure what Watson may have been capable of had OB stuck with the existing plan.

Exactly! But hey a select few will say you’re coming up with excuses for Watson.

However, I’ve heard both Stoerner and Orlovsky criticize our play designs for not giving the QB enough outs on plays. That’s on the coaching staff.

I agree to a point. The play caller's job is done when the play is called in. In the EP system, the play call is just concepts.

From breaking the huddle to throwing the ball the QB has so much influence over the play that is ran, we can't decipher what the play call was with any real accuracy.

But I feel pretty strongly that a guy (even BO'b) who had been coaching on a professional level for 40 years isn't drawing up plays where three options are on the left hash mark 9 yards from the LOS.

Watson is the best QB we've ever had after the snap. But probably 3rd or 4th best we've had before the snap.

I agree to a point. The play caller's job is done when the play is called in. In the EP system, the play call is just concepts.

From breaking the huddle to throwing the ball the QB has so much influence over the play that is ran, we can't decipher what the play call was with any real accuracy.

Really , you can decipher the play with much accuracy on film , particularly the type of film we have today with camera's capturing so many different angles including the QB's viewpoint and 180 degrees of that.

But I feel pretty strongly that a guy (even BO'b) who had been coaching on a professional level for 40 years isn't drawing up plays where three options are on the left hash mark 9 yards from the LOS.

That's part of why I buy the idea that DHop was running some bad / wrong routes - that mess just happened far too often and no way that's how it was drawn up. Not even OB is that … silly.

Watson is the best QB we've ever had after the snap. But probably 3rd or 4th best we've had before the snap.

At this point , I think that's still debatable.

I might be inclined to take prime Schaub over what we've seen thus far of Watson.

As much potential as Watson has to make big plays , he just has to channel his inner Schaub and play smarter. Watson's very inconsistent …. Schaub wasn't near the athlete but the guy didn't make unforced errors , he played within himself.
Nope , he didn't have the big play potential Watson does …. but he did make the most of those opportunities and kept the offense on schedule for the most part - The Anti-Watson.

Watson has a lot of potential …. but he's got a lot of growing to do to make that pay off.

If I had one game to win and had both 2009/12 Schaub and Watson to choose from , I'd probably go with Schaub. He's the better decision maker …. That's why he's still in the league at 38.

Yeah , Watson has a higher ceiling.

Really , you can decipher the play with much accuracy on film , particularly the type of film we have today with camera's capturing so many different angles including the QB's viewpoint and 180 degrees of that.

That's part of why I buy the idea that DHop was running some bad / wrong routes - that mess just happened far too often and no way that's how it was drawn up. Not even OB is that … silly.

I might be inclined to take prime Schaub over what we've seen thus far of Watson.

As much potential as Watson has to make big plays , he just has to channel his inner Schaub and play smarter. Watson's very inconsistent …. Schaub wasn't near the athlete but the guy didn't make unforced errors , he played within himself.
Nope , he didn't have the big play potential Watson does …. but he did make the most of those opportunities and kept the offense on schedule for the most part - The Anti-Watson.

Watson has a lot of potential …. but he's got a lot of growing to do to make that pay off.

If I had one game to win and had both 2009/12 Schaub and Watson to choose from , I'd probably go with Schaub. He's the better decision maker …. That's why he's still in the league at 38.

I can't help but wonder how Kubiak might have developed Watson in his version of the West Coast Offense and the ease of the transition with the help of the prime Schaub OL and weapons (AJ, AF & OD) on offense. Watson hasn't enjoyed a defense even close to that during his 4 seasons.

That is not the reason why he’s still in the NFL. And the year we went 2-14 Ole Matt decision making was by far the worst. And dude Kubiak offensive philosophy was much quarterback and running back friendly while O’Briens philosophy is way more complexed.

But hey what do I know, I wasn’t hanging around a lot of top offensive minds like you.

I can't help but wonder how Kubiak might have developed Watson in his version of the West Coast Offense and the ease of the transition with the help of the prime Schaub OL and weapons (AJ, AF & OD) on offense. Watson hasn't enjoyed a defense even close to that during his 4 seasons.

Nor has he enjoyed the luxury of a top 10 offensive line yet either. Oh ole Matty had a bunch of flaws as well that he unfortunately didn’t improve on. His supporting cast made it a lot more easier for him.

That is not the reason why he’s still in the NFL. And the year we went 2-14 Ole Matt decision making was by far the worst. And dude Kubiak offensive philosophy was much quarterback and running back friendly while O’Briens philosophy is way more complexed.

But hey what do I know, I wasn’t hanging around a lot of top offensive minds like you.

Care to share with us why Schaub has been able to hang around this long?

Nor has he enjoyed the luxury of a top 10 offensive line yet either. Oh ole Matty had a bunch of flaws as well that he unfortunately didn’t improve on. His supporting cast made it a lot more easier for him.

Schaub's lisfranc injury was the reason for his failure. He is fine for a few games but his foot won't hold up for a full season just like CnD told us.

Care to share with us why Schaub has been able to hang around this long?

Schaub's lisfranc injury was the reason for his failure. He is fine for a few games but his foot won't hold up for a full season just like CnD told us.

I’m not going to go into all of that but we freaking know the reason why.

Now you’re doing exactly what you claim others are doing for Watson. Excuses

I’m not going to go into all of that but we freaking know the reason why.

Now you’re doing exactly what you claim others are doing for Watson. Excuses

I asked you a valid question which you failed to answer. Shocking, if you're going to try to imply something then be a man and come on out and give us your thoughts.

No excuses. Schaub turned out exactly like CnD told us he would before it happened.

That's a terribly inaccurate and unfair statement. After his Lisfranc foot injury, Schaub's foot was not able to listen very well to his football decisions.

Back